Why is Internet Explorer so bad?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Okay okay, not shoddy, , but certainly not up to the standards that OS X users expect.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong> Okay, you asked someone on the "Finder team" about this? How believable does that sound?

For CoreGraphics, the default for Carbon apps is to retain the old-style OS9-era font smoothing. The newer AA is certainly available, but is not the default because Carbon apps were expected to be the "bridge crossing" apps that would work in both OS9 and OSX. Several new Carbon apps like the Finder, iTunes, and Snapz (many others I'm sure, but I'm not at my X machine now) have been written to properly take advantage of AA. IE and Office v.X are just examples of shoddy, poorly-coded ports.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey..I was just posted what I was told. And yes he DOES work in the Finder Team. Browse has been known to talk shit just to talk shit.

Or Apple really did it that way. Which is probably the case.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>Have you guys tried out Euntorage v.x yet?

It looks very windowx xpish. It is going to take some time before I get used to this app. It looks very bloated but the calendar looks very nice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been using Office v.X and let me get a zip a of water for this........ehem....... IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same bullshit as Office for Mac OS, I can't believe this piece of crap. It isn't worth your money. Don't WAIST YOUR MONEY! Entourage doesn't import from Apple's Mail program for instance. And Entourage is the only Application out of Office that does live resizing, and the live resizing sucks. It is very sluggish! From there on, sheets is pretty much the only new thing and the use of Quartz.

Folks, don't waste your money on this crap. Wait for a later release.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: artenman ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

don't mean to bug you if you don't know the answer but that just doesn't make sense.

as shwn several apps such as iTunes and the Finder do have quartz rendering for inputed text, there is quartz rendering for graphics, etc. and isn't quartz rendering being implemented into go live and is in illustrator?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is so true, you should use Illustrator, beautiful program when in Aqua, and it's carbon. Very very nice. I give Illustrator 10 a 10!

I've been using GoLive for OS X as well, and it uses Quartz as well, like Illustrator. Adobe is working hard on these programs. Golive is using many of the technologies Mac OS X offers.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>

Carbon apps so far can't use Quartz for text rendering. That is why Omniweb is the only browser that does so. Have you tried any of the Sneaky Peek versions of Omniweb 4.1?

<a href="http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/outgoing/sneakypeek/"; target="_blank">http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/outgoing/sneakypeek/</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Carbon applications can use Quartz. In fact, Carbon applications are supposed to use Quartz and Unicode for all text.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    IE5 for mac is the best! Do you have any idea how much better it is than the windows equivilent? Hell, IE6 for windows is just approaching on what IE5 for mac is like.

Now Opera, that rules...
  • Reply 27 of 75
    It's a question of keeping 9 compatibility with your carbon apps. But, seeing as Office X and IE 5.1 are both x-only, they have no excuse for not using Quartz and Unicode.

Stupid Microshaft....
  • Reply 28 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by artenman:

<strong>

That is so true, you should use Illustrator, beautiful program when in Aqua, and it's carbon. Very very nice. I give Illustrator 10 a 10!

I've been using GoLive for OS X as well, and it uses Quartz as well, like Illustrator. Adobe is working hard on these programs. Golive is using many of the technologies Mac OS X offers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure that Adobe apps use Quartz and not Adobe's own engine that they have been using for years?

Acrobat Reader doesn't use Quartz.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:

<strong>IE5 for mac is the best! Do you have any idea how much better it is than the windows equivilent? Hell, IE6 for windows is just approaching on what IE5 for mac is like.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Speed my friend - speed!
  • Reply 30 of 75
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Late last night I downloaded the OmniWeb 4.1 Sneaky Peak and I can't believe it's actualy a lot better than IE 5.1. I don't know if I'll use it full time, but right now I'm using OmniWeb and loving it. Before 4.1 I couldn't stand OmniWeb, but my mind has totally been changed.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Are you sure that Adobe apps use Quartz and not Adobe's own engine that they have been using for years?

Acrobat Reader doesn't use Quartz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Acrobat Reader uses the Multilingual Text Engine, kind of a superset of Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging, both of which automatically use get Quartz for free.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Late last night I downloaded the OmniWeb 4.1 Sneaky Peak and I can't believe it's actualy a lot better than IE 5.1. I don't know if I'll use it full time, but right now I'm using OmniWeb and loving it. Before 4.1 I couldn't stand OmniWeb, but my mind has totally been changed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup 4.1 is a BIG leap.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:

<strong>Hell, IE6 for windows is just approaching on what IE5 for mac is like.</strong><hr></blockquote>

*falls over laughing*

*is unable to stop, asphyxia sets in*

*dies*

I wish Windows had an OmniWeb-esque super-pretty browser, but. . . that's just. . . wow.

• Reply 34 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

I wish Windows had an OmniWeb-esque super-pretty browser, but. . . that's just. . . wow.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually what makes Omniweb pretty is it's use of Quartz rendering. I believe IE 6 can do the same type of text rendering. (well almost) I've seen screenshots. Looks nice.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Using TrueType or whatever, perhaps.

I know *why* Omniweb looks pretty, you silly guy.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by artenman:

<strong>

I've been using Office v.X and let me get a zip a of water for this........ehem....... IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same bullshit as Office for Mac OS, I can't believe this piece of crap. It isn't worth your money. Don't WAIST YOUR MONEY! Entourage doesn't import from Apple's Mail program for instance. And Entourage is the only Application out of Office that does live resizing, and the live resizing sucks. It is very sluggish! From there on, sheets is pretty much the only new thing and the use of Quartz.

Folks, don't waste your money on this crap. Wait for a later release.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: artenman ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You think Office is crap just because most of the apps don't use live resizing? Do you think most business users will care? And, just because Entourage doesn't import Mail's e-mail, you think it's crap? (not saying it isn't, stick with Mail/Address Book). Word/Excel/PowerPoint aren't bad OS X apps, but minor cosmetic issues do not make it a bad package.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    MS just needs to f*cking support they way OS X handles it's GUI. That is all they are trying to ask I think. IE uses it's on "stripes" which don't match OS X's.. Office has similar GUI problems. There is no excuse for it. At least when other companies use their own Aqua resources it at least MATCHES.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    How can someone who spends time making skins to subvert Aqua gripe when a company doesn't adhere to Aqua?
  • Reply 39 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>How can someone who spends time making skins to subvert Aqua gripe when a company doesn't adhere to Aqua?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah but that isn't my bitch. My bitch is for them to adhere to using the extras.rsrc to get it's look. Makes it a lot easier on those who DO make themes

MS not only doesn't use the Extras.rsrc but the resources they DO use don't even match Aqua.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Maybe they don't want freaks like you hacking their UI.