Apple's free 8GB iPod touch Back-to-School Promo now official

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The products must be purchased from the Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, an Apple Retail Store, Apple Telesales, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store located in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.

Promo also available in Canada
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Again my mistake, it never occurred to me. As a parent paying for all of the college expenses. I just would prefer a discount. I hate rebates. What is so wrong about something just being on sale?

well in 2005 i bought my powerbook with my education discount and received an iPod mini and i already had a 20gb ipod so i told my parents that i would sell the mini and give them the cash, i sold it for like $200 and gave it to them essentially getting another $200 off my computer. So this year hopefully the new machines launch during the promo and in that case ill buy the new MBP equivalent and get the Touch and sell it for $300 since im buying the new iPhone next week. Also a good explanation for why they are offering a nano is prob because you have to front the cash at the time of the purchase so it would make it cheaper for you to front since you are dropping some mad coin at the time of the purchase.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I think the classic is pretty much done after this year...so we hear...

K

I don't know. That would end all large capacity iPods. I would think, one more year.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

K

Boy, I hope not... unless they intro a Touch w/an 80GB drive... that'd work.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know. That would end all large capacity iPods. I would think, one more year.

There is the obvious factor of demand. If they are still popular Apple will still sell them, especially if the costs of production keep going down. I think that we'll have 128GB iPod Touches before they remove the last iPod Classic.

Though I think they may reduce the line to one large capacity iPod Classic that has at least 50% more capacity than the most expensive iPod Touch before they do that. But with the App Store coming soon The demand for the Classic could tumble faster than expected.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Source?
  • Reply 27 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is my take on this, what on the surface looks like a very good deal.

First; the deal appears to be really good but I suspect that Apple was able to ride the fall in flash prices for a long time now and frankly has available to them hardware that cost far less to produce than when the Touches where introduced. Thus the appearance of a excellent bargain.

Second; on could infer from this that new Touch models will come some time after September 15th. Also; considering the size of the bargain above it is fair to say that the line up will be vastly improved. Maybe we will see 64 and 128 GB models come on line in the fall.

It just makes me wonder what Apple might have up its sleeve. This package deal is just too good not to be an indication of interesting changes in the wind.

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hmm... I wonder if the Classic could evolve into a more powerful Touch. larger touchscreen, Atom CPU and 1.8" HDD running Mobile OS X. By evolve I mean this new device would replace the Classic as the large capacity, HDD-based iPod.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Source?

Kasper is THE source.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    I may be travelling over to the US in Sept.

Can someone explain how this works? I mean I could use the details of the apartment I'll be staying in but do they just apply the rebate to my credit card?

Or am I not eligible at all? (From UK)...FYI I have the international student card/my own University student card.

Thanks for any info.

M
  • Reply 31 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm... I wonder if the Classic could evolve into a more powerful Touch. larger touchscreen, Atom CPU and 1.8" HDD running Mobile OS X. By evolve I mean this new device would replace the Classic as the large capacity, HDD-based iPod.

I believe that the thinking is that they want to eliminate the HDD from the mobile units.

I don't know how fast they can do it--when SSDs will be cost effective for classic like storage. I have no doubt that in a few years, SSDs will have increased in capacity and decreased in cost to the point that this works, but I find it hard to believe that the Classic will be gone in less than a year...
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just would prefer a discount. I hate rebates. What is so wrong about something just being on sale?

I am with you. I hate rebates as well.

I remember hearing that either NY or NJ was considering legislation that would mandate that the retailer do all the paperwork for the rebating (including the mailing), so the buyer doesn't have to jump through idiotic hoops.

That would be cool if it works...
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is the obvious factor of demand. If they are still popular Apple will still sell them, especially if the costs of production keep going down. I think that we'll have 128GB iPod Touches before they remove the last iPod Classic.

Though I think they may reduce the line to one large capacity iPod Classic that has at least 50% more capacity than the most expensive iPod Touch before they do that. But with the App Store coming soon The demand for the Classic could tumble faster than expected.

Kasper is saying that they've heard something. It wasn't a statement of logic n his part, such as, "I think they'll discontinue it because of falling sales".

The people who buy the Classic want large storage. That's the only reason for it's being.

I'm not sure that 32 Gb will be enough for them. Perhaps 64 GB a year or so from now might be. But, then, a Classic could hold over 350 GB.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I believe that the thinking is that they want to eliminate the HDD from the mobile units.

I don't know how fast they can do it--when SSDs will be cost effective for classic like storage. I have no doubt that in a few years, SSDs will have increased in capacity and decreased in cost to the point that this works, but I find it hard to believe that the Classic will be gone in less than a year...

Classics don't use SSD's. They just use Flash modules soldered to the mobo.

SSD's are different in that they use the HDD interfaces, either PATA, r SATA. That's one reason why they are more expensive, and larger. A 32 GB SSD still costs about $600, and a 64 GB model costs about $1,050.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

I am with you. I hate rebates as well.

I remember hearing that either NY or NJ was considering legislation that would mandate that the retailer do all the paperwork for the rebating (including the mailing), so the buyer doesn't have to jump through idiotic hoops.

That would be cool if it works...

That would eliminate the entire concept of what the rebate is all about, which is that most people never send them in, and the rest don't bother to fight if it isn't granted.

If the retailer has to do it so that all rebates are granted, then rebates won't be offered, and the old method of offering much less as a sale will simply return.

The only reason why rebates can be so large is because most people don't receive them.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

That would eliminate the entire concept of what the rebate is all about, which is that most people never send them in, and the rest don't bother to fight if it isn't granted.

If the retailer has to do it so that all rebates are granted, then rebates won't be offered, and the old method of offering much less as a sale will simply return.

The only reason why rebates can be so large is because most people don't receive them.

Of course. Rebates are based in deception and that is why I don't like them.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Classics don't use SSD's. They just use Flash modules soldered to the mobo.

SSD's are different in that they use the HDD interfaces, either PATA, r SATA. That's one reason why they are more expensive, and larger. A 32 GB SSD still costs about $600, and a 64 GB model costs about $1,050.

Oh, then I am way off. I thought the iPod Classic still used HDDs.

When the poster I responded to postulated a new replacement for the Classic that included an HDD, I gave my response with my own prediction. But if Apple already eliminated the HDD from the entire iPod line...
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:

Oh, then I am way off. I thought the iPod Classic still used HDDs.

When the poster I responded to postulated a new replacement for the Classic that included an HDD, I gave my response with my own prediction. But if Apple already eliminated the HDD from the entire iPod line...

It does use 1.8" HDD's. It doesn't use SSD's.

I was thinking about the Nanos and iTouch, which do use Flash. Sorry if there was confusion.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    If they come out with new macbooks in the 3rd quarter do you think the student free ipod offer will still work??
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mshackleford View Post

well in 2005 i bought my powerbook with my education discount and received an iPod mini and i already had a 20gb ipod so i told my parents that i would sell the mini and give them the cash, i sold it for like $200 and gave it to them essentially getting another $200 off my computer. So this year hopefully the new machines launch during the promo and in that case ill buy the new MBP equivalent and get the Touch and sell it for $300 since im buying the new iPhone next week. Also a good explanation for why they are offering a nano is prob because you have to front the cash at the time of the purchase so it would make it cheaper for you to front since you are dropping some mad coin at the time of the purchase.

along these lines, how easy would it be to re-sell the ipod touch for the msrp ($300), so that i would essentially save that money on the purchace of my computer?

or, seeing as i live in a state which gives me an instant rebate by law, rather than having me mail in my form and wait, how easy/possible would it be for me to buy the two together, get the instant rebate, and then go to another apple store and return the ipod touch, and get the $300 back there? would i need a recipt to return it (or would returning it without a recipt result in me only getting store credit)?

thanks for the help