Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 code named "Snow Leopard" - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codymr View Post

Question: I have an Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro... I think it was the second update of the line... anyway, if it's a 32bit system, will I be able to run 10.6? Rumor is that 10.6 is 64bit native. Or will my MacBook Pro become an oversized paperweight?

Yes! When 10.6 comes out, and Apple sends out that Universal Kill Signal? to disable 10.5 everywhere, your current computer will be rendered absolutely inoperative.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

This is retarded. And most likely a scam by Apple to force adoption of Intel hardware on PowerPC users. First you control the software, then you prevent developers from developing for legacy operating systems. The squeeze is coming.

How unfortunate. This Quad G5 is more than capable of lasting through 2012, but Apple wants to give me the shaft. Fuck them.

Calm down, drama queen!

My seven-year-old iBook G3 is stuck at Tiger, but it does everything I need it to do. I use my four-and-a-half-year-old Dual G5 for the tough stuff.

But go look at this link from December of 2007:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/...december-2007/

It shows that your Quad G5 is behind the iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro back then. I'd wager that by 2012, the current offerings from Apple will just spank the crap out of your machine by then.

Hell, the Mac mini of 2007 spanks the crap out of my PowerMac Dual 2GHz G5!

Also, there is nothing to say that you can't be productive on Leopard for many years to come. I'm always amazed at how OS upgrades are stretching further and further to make them compelling. Face it, probably the most compelling feature of Leopard is a "free" built-in SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner called Time Machine. (I realize they are not identical, but to most users, they do the same thing.)

I'm also finding that many app updates are rather trivial and that staying a few releases behind the latest and greatest doesn't significantly harm you.
  • Reply 63 of 133
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

If this is indeed true, I'll be at the front of the line come 10.6's release...

I don't think you'll need to be in front of any line. I'm pretty sure the upgrade is gonna be free via software update. This puppy is gonna be to 10.5 like 10.1 was to 10.0, good 'n free.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    Anything with the name Snow Leopard, a year or so after a release named Leopard, I would guess it would be more of an "extension" to 10.5 . Maybe some more eye candy....3d effects....some more stock sounds, vids and pics.... just add ons, not a whole <s>rewrite</s> but somthing more like the january software update for the iTouch....

What do you think?
  • Reply 65 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

who will pay $129 for no major new features and alot of now working older apps?

you're assuming that it'll cost $129. The fact that they aren't even really changing the name (just adding "snow" to the front), makes it seem like a large update vs upgrade. You can't take away that many features (carbon, etc) w/o making it free...
  • Reply 66 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfreak85 View Post

Anything with the name Snow Leopard, a year or so after a release named Leopard, I would guess it would be more of an "extension" to 10.5 . Maybe some more eye candy....3d effects....some more stock sounds, vids and pics.... just add ons, not a whole <s>rewrite</s> but somthing more like the january software update for the iTouch....

What do you think?

ditto.
  • Reply 67 of 133
    codymrcodymr Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Yes! When 10.6 comes out, and Apple sends out that Universal Kill Signal™ to disable 10.5 everywhere, your current computer will be rendered absolutely inoperative.

My point is: Will a native 64bit OSX 10.6 run on a 32bit Intel Mac? Or will I have to update to a new system if I want to take advantage of the rumoured 10.6 security and optimization updates. Seems a little soon to buy a new computer when my current runs very well with 10.5.3.
  • Reply 68 of 133
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Adobe has already stated that CS4 will be cocoa, not carbon.

They note this as they wanted to get on the 64bit bandwagon, but they couldn't because Apple decided, around 2 years ago, to drop their effort of trying to port Carbon to 64 bit.

This forced CS3 to stay only carbon.

CS4 was stated to be moved to Cocoa.

MS Office? I don't want it is Apple can find a way to convince me that iWork can stand up against it.

I love iWork, but does Pages save in .doc or .docx files? If so, I am all for it!

I think you''re mixed up here.

CS4 is carbon, it was too far along in development before apple said that carbon wouldn't be 64 bit. CS5 will be cocoa.

And mid 2006, Apple was still telling developers that carbon would be updated to 64 bit. They didn't announce that they changed their mind until mid 2007, only about a year ago. MANY devs had to delay 64 bit updates because of this.

The thing that makes me most skeptical is that APPLE has few if any apps updated to cocoa, much less 64 bit. Does anyone here think they could have all their pro apps rewritten by January?
  • Reply 69 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

ditto.

Well thank u. it seems no one ever agrees with me any more
  • Reply 70 of 133
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codymr View Post

My point is: Will a native 64bit OSX 10.6 run on a 32bit Intel Mac? Or will I have to update to a new system if I want to take advantage of the rumoured 10.6 security and optimization updates. Seems a little soon to buy a new computer when my current runs very well with 10.5.3.

Sorry if I came off a little snarky on that--it's just that so many people seem to think that when a new upgrade to anything comes out that the hardware or software they've got will miraculously stop working. In answer to your question: my guess is--no.
  • Reply 71 of 133
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The thing that makes me most skeptical is that APPLE has few if any apps updated to cocoa, much less 64 bit. Does anyone here think they could have all their pro apps rewritten by January?

I think Apple will have Final Cut Studio in Cocoa for next year and iTunes 8 will likely be Cocoa as well.

I'd assume as well that Xcode 3.5 of whatever they call it will have vast improvements to help developers move Carbon apps to Cocoa.
  • Reply 72 of 133
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

...Does anyone here think they [Apple] could have all their pro apps rewritten by January?

I REALLY doubt that. Unless Apple has been actively recoding from scratch, and without widespread beta testing, which will ultimately result in mega bugs.
  • Reply 73 of 133
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's going to take a lot of selling to get customers to buy into a feature that promises to look worse and take a lot more processing power at the same time. I honestly don't understand the hankering for this feature. Unless you have 200dpi displays or like to look at things reeeeally up close it doesn't buy you anything, and just makes stuff less than pixel-perfect.

What I want is a 200-300 dpi monitor. However, Resolution Independence is required to have icons, windows, etc. at a useable size.
  • Reply 74 of 133
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think Apple will have Final Cut Studio in Cocoa for next year and iTunes 8 will likely be Cocoa as well.

I'd assume as well that Xcode 3.5 of whatever they call it will have vast improvements to help developers move Carbon apps to Cocoa.

Yeah, like removing the Carbon headers. *THAT'LL* get them moved over pretty damned quick...
  • Reply 75 of 133
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's a sure sign their tablet is coming. Mark my words...

Will that be before or after the Apple-brand TV that you predicted a couple of years ago?

• Reply 76 of 133
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Will that be before or after the Apple-brand TV that you predicted a couple of years ago?

Before.

And I predicted the TV a couple of years ago, but I didn't say 2006 did I?
  • Reply 77 of 133
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

After.

So we can look forward to playing Daikatana 2 on it then?

(HA! Quoted before edit. )
  • Reply 78 of 133
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    In all likelihood I think this is basically a full blown leopard with multitouch for a UMPC. Like an iPhone but bigger screen, no phone, and full blown OSX. It would make sense then that the codename is still the same animal and mostly the same features. This computer will feature Intel's atom processor. Its one step above smartphones, but one step below macbook air.

Focusing on security updates and such are just things said to distract people from what Apple is really going for.

If you piece together all the rumors, this really does add up IMO. Take for example the rumors going around about the newton style tablet with a bigger multitouch screen than iPhone.

The timing is also perfect with SSD drives and flash getting big enough and cheap enough to put one in a future apple atom based UMPC. And isn't it funny that Apple starts offering an SSD option in the Macbook air? Its almost as if they are testing out this type of drive in the market and to get a little experience with it on a full blown OSX computer. There have always been rumors about intel and apple collaborating to make a new device based on atom. I don't think the upcoming "iPhone 2" is it.

Oh and that it will drop PPC - of course, if it is designed to run on Intel's atom.

Think Sharp Willcom D4, only multitouch. (google it).

-Ken
  • Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

So we can look forward to playing Daikatana 2 on it then?

(HA! Quoted before edit. )

Yes I meant to say before, but typed after first - though 2008 isn't over yet! So the tablet could come after the TV's. Though I wouldn't bet on it.

So what if I get the dates a little wrong, and at least I'm willing to form opinions and have some kind of vision on these matters.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70110

When both of these things happen the game will be changed forever, which is why I'm passionate about it. I can handle all the criticism you guys throw at me about my opinions, but Apple will make a tablet with a screen size around 10", and they will make TV's. Both these things will happen.
  • Reply 80 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

In all likelihood I think this is basically a full blown leopard with multitouch for a UMPC. Like an iPhone but bigger screen, no phone, and full blown OSX. It would make sense then that the codename is still the same animal and mostly the same features. This computer will feature Intel's atom processor. Its one step above smartphones, but one step below macbook air.

Below MacBook Air? Define below here?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Focusing on security updates and such are just things said to distract people from what Apple is really going for.

Couldn't agree more.