The .Mac to MobileMe transition: what you need to know

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Darn... I was hoping this wouldn't happen as I wanted to grab my first name @me.com

I(at)me.com

me(at)me.com

myself(at)me.com

theone(at)me.com
  • Reply 22 of 100
    foxofoxo Posts: 11member
    What kind of p's me off is now according to the MobileMe pricing structure I will have to pay more for my wife and two daughter's email. With .Mac I had my own and 3 additional email addresses for the $99 per year price. Now it appears that the yearly $99 will only get one email. I will have to pay $149 per year for a "family pack" if I want extra emails. Kinda sux. Oh, and what will happen to my extra emails once me.com takes over? Will I not be able to use them until I pay more? Will I still be able to use them if I do convert to the family pack? *sigh*
  • Reply 23 of 100
    Maybe one of you could shed some light on this for me. My wife and I have an iMac that we share, but we also have two work PCs that we use. Is there a way, if I purchase the family pack, to have my MobileMe account on my work PC, her MobileMe account on her work PC and both MobileMe accounts to sync to our home iMac?

It would be much easier for her calendar to update on all three computers instead of having to constantly send invitations to one another (which in turn, doesn't allow me to change the event to her calendar). It would also be nice for Address Book to sync with both of our sets of contacts to use for Mail.

This makes sense in my head, but let me know if I'm just talking jibberish.

Thanks!!
  • Reply 24 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxo View Post

What kind of p's me off is now according to the MobileMe pricing structure I will have to pay more for my wife and two daughter's email. With .Mac I had my own and 3 additional email addresses for the $99 per year price. Now it appears that the yearly $99 will only get one email. I will have to pay $149 per year for a "family pack" if I want extra emails. Kinda sux. Oh, and what will happen to my extra emails once me.com takes over? Will I not be able to use them until I pay more? Will I still be able to use them if I do convert to the family pack? *sigh*

Do this not indicate that you get to keep them?
    "Once upgraded, users will be under no obligation to stop using their .Mac email address or their .Mac email aliases, both of which will continue to function indefinitely, as will .Mac iChat login IDs. In addition to their mac.com email address, users will also get an address at me.com with the same username and an iChat ID at me.com with the same user name."
  • Reply 25 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxo View Post

Personally, I like Gmail. It's good and free.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Personally, I like Gmail. It's good and free.

Offers 500x the storage capacity and is unparalleled in filtering spam.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    What about the security of mobile me?

I saw in the keynote that it is a https sign in page, but everything is http after that. With gmail and yahoo you can force https on all pages. So does this mean that every email you send is in plain text for anyone to sniff? :-o

What about when you use public computers - will it remove all your stuff off the internet cafe PC like gmail does?

Before I sign up to this, I would want to know more about security as I can see it becoming an ID theft paradise, because if someone does hack into a .mac/me account they know EVERYTHING about you.. mates/calendars/photos/private files on idisk..

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 28 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

I think I've been in the camp of over-paying for my .Mac service, but I was happy to do so. One of the warm-fuzzies that kept me from abandoning the pricey service, ok 2 of them, were the iCards and the web-access to my bookmarks.

The iCards were simple to use and unique to Mac. No ads, no BS, just an easy benefit to use. No other site to go to when I read an email online and wanted a more cheerful reply than simple email would be. Why remove? They must cost almost nothing to maintain, since the cards rarely changed and, oh nevermind. Just a big FU to Apple for ruining my day on that one.

The bookmarks I don't understand. Why dictate how I'm mobile? I don't have an iPhone or other computers that I own. But I'm on all sorts of machines at work, on the road and with friends/family. I loved always having access to the sites I use. Am I missing something in how this has been torn away?

I guess I should reserve any real passion in this reply for when service launches. But I don't like the sound of all this....

They should give us iWeb free with this new service. iLife 08 sucks and I only want iWeb to get the .mac/mobileme web functioning benefits.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Darn... I was hoping this wouldn't happen as I wanted to grab my first name @me.com

@ me.com sounds totally cheesy. Thank god I already have an @mac.com name.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    I was glad to see my mac name will not change..

But will miss my bookmarks// great for when i am at work.. and dont want to download them all to the work machine...

Steve ask the users that curently use your service what they like...
  • Reply 31 of 100
    do_not_throw_things AT me DOTCOM
  • Reply 32 of 100
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    I hope Apple deletes the old user IDs from the iTools days and the long inactive accounts, so then I can get my first name @ me.com
  • Reply 33 of 100
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

@ me.com sounds totally cheesy. Thank god I already have an @mac.com name.

I dunno, @ me.com has much better prank name potential.

f*ck @ me.com is the obvious one, though I highly doubt it'd be allowed

sue @ me.com

bl @ me.com

sh @ me.com

Just a few off the top of my head...
  • Reply 34 of 100
    So when it all comes down to it.... .Mac has been upgraded to MobileMe.

I'm not sure if it does much more than the old .Mac (which I do use and like) - but Steve seems to have sold it well, and the iPhone integration will get people more involved.

With Mobile Me, beyond .Mac we get:

1) Double the storage space

2) An integrated web client. Email & Addresses + the calendar is now online. Plus the ability to manage your gallery photos.

3) Integrated web client can access the iDisk, including sending big files by sending a link to the iDisk file.

4) Syncing of calendar and address book to MS Outlook clients.

5) The iPhone can sync email/address/calendar via .Mac, and can email photos to our gallery directly & easily (where previously we had to know the address etc)

So if you've got 2 Macs you sync (like me), nothing has changed. But if you have a Mac and PC, this change is great. Or if you use random computers at times the web client is great.

Some questions:

a) If I have 2 Mac's, does the web gallery sync between them? Or does it work like now where one Mac "publishes" the gallery, and another can "subscribe" to it?

b) Can I send links to my iDisk files from my Mac Mail itself?

c) What about Entourage syncing? (that works now to the iPhone somehow though doesn't it?.. so should work)

d) are there any other changes to iDisk - or does it work roughly the same way?

(eg: Can I use the iDisk directly as my Documents folder? Can TimeMachine back up the iDisk for me?)

All up a good upgrade, but not as much as I'd hoped

Though perhaps I'm missing something
  • Reply 35 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm not sure if it does much more than the old .Mac (which I do use and like) - but Steve seems to have sold it well, and the iPhone integration will get people more involved.

The fact that it finally displays Address Book's full vCard is nice. Having notes that you can't view remotely was such a pain. They need to get with Google on their spam filters. I never used my .Mac account simply because there is so much spam.

PS: I wrote a letter to [email protected] stating that Bookmark viewing in MobileMe should be available. I think that is the right address to use. I also noted that Stationary should be added to make it function like Mail and should include iCards. Perhaps a petition needs to be started.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Like many of you said. I would like the option to use my bookmarks remotely without having to download them.. Then again I use Firefox with Foxmarks which works very well luckily.

But to me the real question is, what happens to the .Mac groups?

.Mac allowed you to create groups for you and your friends/others.. Not only does MobileMe sound very single user oriented but in regards to what happens to the groups I can't find any info on the Apple site anywhere..

Can anyone shed some light please?
  • Reply 37 of 100
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

What about the security of mobile me?

I saw in the keynote that it is a https sign in page, but everything is http after that. With gmail and yahoo you can force https on all pages. So does this mean that every email you send is in plain text for anyone to sniff? :-o

I would assume that the AJAX connections that actually do the to-ing and fro-ing are secure. I've seen a few sites with a secure login, but apparently unsecured page requests.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtjeter View Post

What about iTunes / Apple store id's that are mac.com addresses? Will they be converted also? What about the already purchased music? Is it tied to that mac.com account and computer authorization?

Not a problem. You still get to keep your current .mac address.

However, if that did ever change, you would still use the same id with itunes but edit your contact details to show your new e-mail address.

I have one defunct e-mail account which I used (and still use) to purchase itunes content. I still need to log on to the itunes store with this old address but receipts and notifications are sent to my new address.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

a) If I have 2 Mac's, does the web gallery sync between them? Or does it work like now where one Mac "publishes" the gallery, and another can "subscribe" to it?

I'm also curious to know how the new Gallery will work. Right now, even on the same Mac, if you've uploaded some photos from iPhoto and some from Aperture, it is completely independent. Aperture is completely unaware of the iPhoto source albums and vice versa. In fact, iPhoto has has much better functionality with Gallery than Aperture does. It let's you rearrange the order of albums within iPhoto and the order will update Gallery (for the iPhoto albums). Aperture's albums are always forced alphabetical. I still haven't figured out the pattern of how Gallery determines the overall order of the combined set of albums. It will be interesting how the online Gallery edits will be transferred back to iPhoto and Aperture. If I change the order of albums, will that sync back to Aperture (which only supports alphabetical album listings)? Or will Aperture just put things back the way they were on the next sync?

So many questions....
  • Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For starters, anyone with a .Mac subscription will be automatically upgraded to MobileMe and see their iDisk storage doubled from 10GB to 20GB at no additional cost

What about data transfer? Currently with 10 GB of storage we get 100 GB of data transfer. When you upgrade .Mac to 20 GB it also gives you 200 GB of data transfer. Can we expect to see a bump in data transfer after the transition?