Emigration - leaving the UK

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

Is there a good online resource for learning spanish?

Yup.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The three languages of the next century are Chinese, Spanish and English. One should have a functional command of at least two of those.

My kiddos will but I will be the antique.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Damn, I'm right there with you gathering dust and being appraised on PBS.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Damn, I'm right there with you gathering dust and being appraised on PBS.

Don't worry Shawn. I'm sure my eight and six year old will be willing to translate for you. For example when you have to go fetch their coffee, they will tell you that in English.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    mr_zebramr_zebra Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Yea as far as he knows everything is great. Waiting patiently for more freedom in 2027 sounds like a utopia.

Better that than wait for NO freedom in 2027 in the UK.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Obviously, you haven't done much traveling. Maybe you've been to the happy nations in continental europe that can afford to protect their economies because they don't have to pay for defense or disaster protection (US & UK do it for them), but you've never been anywhere outside of these lucky nations. If I'm wrong and you have ventured beyond, it's clear you've had your head in the sand the whole way. The further you get away from dependence on the US, the further you get away from modernity. Maybe that's what you're seeking, maybe you can be satisfied by the pleasant nothings of continental western europe, or maybe a culture reversal in the far east is what you crave. But, nonetheless, there's no way to have it all.

This has got to be one of the most condescending, derogatory just plain written in the "language of asshole" posts I have read in some time.

Where does a rational person even start with this diatribe???

"The further you get away from dependence on the US, the further you get away from modernity."

dependence on the US??? There are many modern cities / nations in the world which have not much at all to do with any "dependence" on the US.

You see nations can actually have their own identity without having to be under the "American" brand. For you to state otherwise is just pure ignorance.

"maybe you can be satisfied by the pleasant nothings of continental western europe"

"pleasant nothings" You are one rude bastard.

You are an American-centric asshat.

I love America but I am ashamed that shitheads like you are from my same homeland.

Marc ignore this bastard.

Fellows

And spline you know I love ya like all the rest here... I just had to pull out the big harsh words because your comments were really deserving of well,,,, not much of anything..
  • Reply 47 of 64
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    From what I hear, rosetta stone is the fastest way to learn languages. It is what the UN people that I know seem to use.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:

I've had enough and seen enough. The UK is well and truly fucked, Its time to go. I'd leave tomorrow, but to be honest, its a bit scary venturing into the unknown, so I need to make a plan.

I'd like to buy a mobile home, and travel down through France, Spain - maybe i'll visit segovius in Barcelona!, and end up somewhere in Portugal. Its got to be a warm place, because I really dont like the cold!

Has anyone done something similar? What sort of preperations do you need to make, I understand that within the EU, you can pretty much go and work wherever you like, but I have been looking around the official websites, and it gives me the impression you still have to get things sorted out before you go, you cant really just get in your car and drive off.

im thinking about leaving about March next year, which gives me the best part of a year to sort this out.

Any help and assistance, or real life experiences would be very much appreciated.

I think you need a good woman.

Find her and she'll tell you where to live!
  • Reply 49 of 64
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Marc ignore this bastard.

yup, I was, its so laughable it doesn't deserve comment.

I know that on this forum I can be quite outspoken, and seem like a miserable bastard at times, perhaps its the impersonal nature of a forum, that brings out the worst of me,

but when all is said and done, in real life, the vast majority of people who know me, would put me high in the list of pleasant, friendly, decent acquaintances.

Of course, ive met a few SDW's in my life, and that always ends in fireworks, when I can tolerate them no more, but by and large, I steer well clear of them, and them of me.

So perhaps, lets get this thread back on track, - Assuming the world doesn't go MadMax in the next two years, I am thinking about places in Europe I would like to visit. A long time ago, I took a boat cruise down the Rhine Vally and it was a very beautiful place - this is somewhere I am planning to drive along on my trip, I would also like to return to the Waddenzea in Holland. I would love to see some Northern Scandinavia (in summer ofcourse)

But I was wondering where else in Europe would be a worthwhile visit?
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

isit. A long time ago, I took a boat cruise down the Rhine Vally and it was a very beautiful place

Waitaminute. I took a a cruise down the Rhine in 2001, and there was this miserable bastard of an Englishman on who drove us all nuts....
  • Reply 51 of 64
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:

Any help and assistance, or real life experiences would be very much appreciated.

You will always get advice from people with limited experience and perhaps something to sell.

If it is sort of general guidance you want:

Economist Quality-of-life index

2007 World-wide quality of living survey

What these surveys mean gets interpreted differently by those short listed as you will see here:

Auckland

Melbourne

Sydney

You might note that virtually every major city in NZ and Australia rates in the top 30 or so. Maybe that says something about those two countries.

You don't even have to go very far. Ireland consistently gets top billing on all the surveys.

My suggestion? Save up and go see the world for a year or so.

Maybe home won't seem so bad, or you will discover your own personal nirvana. No one else can tell you what that is.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Yeah, but some places don't have Krispy Kreme. Dunkin Donuts is like a foreign land!

Amen on that Krispy Kreme thing. It's like crack cocaine, but legal.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Amen on that Krispy Kreme thing. It's like crack cocaine, but legal.

Funny about those Dunkin' Donuts... in Boston they call them "Dunks". And around here all of the Krispy Kremes shut down.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    zeliezelie Posts: 2member
    Marc, do you speak any european languages apart from English? If you don't, it will make getting a job harder but not impossible.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. I feel that the UK has gradually turned into an orwellian nightmare especially over the last 5-6 years. I could write an essay on all the ways our quality of life has gone down the toilet but I see no need for it. Everyone who travels a little can see the UK has become one of the worst places to work and live in western europe.

I'm taking the plunge next month and I haven't got a job lined up yet. However I'm taking £10,000 with me so I have something to fall back on should things go pear-shaped. The only advice I can give you is do it now if you have the cash saved up. A lot of my friends and acquaintances have already left the UK and not a single one has regretted it. If you don't have the cash (I'd say take £5000 minimum), then start saving up and try to get fluent in Spanish or whichever language interests you most.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zelie View Post

Marc, do you speak any european languages apart from English? If you don't, it will make getting a job harder but not impossible.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. I feel that the UK has gradually turned into an orwellian nightmare especially over the last 5-6 years. I could write an essay on all the ways our quality of life has gone down the toilet but I see no need for it. Everyone who travels a little can see the UK has become one of the worst places to work and live in western europe.

I'm taking the plunge next month and I haven't got a job lined up yet. However I'm taking £10,000 with me so I have something to fall back on should things go pear-shaped. The only advice I can give you is do it now if you have the cash saved up. A lot of my friends and acquaintances have already left the UK and not a single one has regretted it. If you don't have the cash (I'd say take £5000 minimum), then start saving up and try to get fluent in Spanish or whichever language interests you most.

What are you talking about? 42 day detentions aren't that bad! And that guy who got pepper-sprayed by the police for laughing too loudly at a TV show was clearly asking for it. And who doesn't like to ALWAYS be on camera?! It's exciting, I think!
  • Reply 57 of 64
    zeliezelie Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

What are you talking about? 42 day detentions aren't that bad! And that guy who got pepper-sprayed by the police for laughing too loudly at a TV show was clearly asking for it. And who doesn't like to ALWAYS be on camera?! It's exciting, I think!

I will also miss the we-know-where-you-live-and-you-can't-escape-from-us ads from the DVLA and the council tax
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zelie View Post

I will also miss the we-know-where-you-live-and-you-can't-escape-from-us ads from the DVLA and the council tax

I flew out of Gatwick shortly after 7/7 and remarked to a friend once I got back to the US that it was the first time I'd ever noticed that I didn't have to take my shoes off (common in the US). She replied, "Silly dear. Of course you don't have to take your shoes off! They watched you put them on this morning!"
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Denmark is as orderly as Japan, only they all speak English. Norway is like the Lake District, if the Lake District were the world's third largest oil exporter, and their music is much better than Denmark's. Sweden is a cosmopolitan version of Norway, only everyone dresses the same. All have hot women. All have good coffee. All have bullshit weather, although Norway is so spectacularly beautiful it's sort of OK. Denmark's not massive on immigration, and they keep threatening to elect fascists, although they love the British for some reason and the place has the best public services and the best-funded institutions I've ever experienced. In Scandinavia they speak better English than the English. Good beer also. Did you know that Carlsberg is actually good beer? Me neither! But here it's really good. Although when I say 'here' I mean 'there', because I'm London at the moment.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

This has got to be one of the most condescending, derogatory just plain written in the "language of asshole" posts I have read in some time.

Where does a rational person even start with this diatribe???

"The further you get away from dependence on the US, the further you get away from modernity."

Recap: basically you backed up your viewpoint by calling me names. What class. If you find my opinion grating, that's a problem, because aside from the layer of icing on top it's basically just the facts of life on 21st century earth.

Simply put, America has the largest economy in the world. If you're not in a place that trades heavily with the 'States in goods, services, or financial markets, you must be completely off the grid. In other words, if you're not contributing in some way to the US-centric global economy, and as such being influenced by US culture, you're not a part of modern humanity. That's just how it is, for better or for worse. Any other opinion on this matter is merely a sign of denial.

Also, don't get me wrong: I am hardly a US nationalist. I am a globalist. The greater the size and diversity of the market, the more difficult it is to survive without embracing laissez-faire economic policy. That's my hope: a world where I can go anywhere and do business anywhere without worring about petty, regional politics. Western continental europe is a "pleasant nothing" because their markets and politics are ultimately dependent on the US market and military even though they try to protect themselves in order to maintain a certain level of decorum. Read the news: immigration has created a much larger social and economic problem there than it has here.