Psystar taunts Apple with Xserve clone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It was only a jest

However it is a great way for procurement to ensure Macs have a hard time being purchased. "Computers and Servers must have integrated internal Floppy"

Never thought of it this way, but it does make sense, however the Navy went to Xsan servers. Lot of testing going on in the govt circles. Microsoft needs to be worried.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    Judging by the picture of the 1100, it doesn't even look like there's a motherboard or anything. Just looks like some wires and maybe a power supply
  • Reply 83 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Why is it that anyone who speaks against Apple is a hater. This fanboy image really needs to change.

And why is it that anyone who speaks well of Apple is a fanboi?
  • Reply 84 of 97
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

Judging by the picture of the 1100, it doesn't even look like there's a motherboard or anything. Just looks like some wires and maybe a power supply

The fatherboard took the motherboard out on a date, so she missed the photo shoot.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Pystar has some connection to apple. Somebody posted a while back that they think Pystar is just a subsidiary of Apple designed to test the market, well, I agree with you.

Not a subsidiary, but way pay to do market research when some guy in a basement will do for you on his dime.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

No, many of us take Apple for what it is, but the good and the bad. They do many things very well, but they are by no means perfect. Unfortunately there are those who take things a little too seriously and think Apple is infallible and that aura infallibility should be protected at all costs.
  • Reply 86 of 97
    djpadzdjpadz Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimdkc View Post

Floppy drive? What for???

Perhaps when they said OSX, they meant A/UX

--Dj
  • Reply 87 of 97
    dhuffdhuff Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

So what happened to the Psystar machines when 10.5.3 shipped? Could they be updated, did they crash, or does it require some sort of hacked updater?

I never heard anything about this when 10.5.3 arrived.

Well, they issued an updater. Dunno how "hacked" it is (but it must be, to a certain extent).

As an aside, and completely IMHO - the best way for Apple to address the Psystar issue is to have an inexpensive, consumer desktop avail. (can you say "updated Mac Mini" boys & girls ? There, I knew you could)

A Penryn-based Mini with updated graphics (Intel GMA X3100), a slightly larger hard disk, and a Superdrive for $499 or thereabouts would solve that market niche problem handily
  • Reply 88 of 97
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

You seem to have taken my entire quote out of context. You cherry-oicked. But for the sake of squashing this here and now, I was simply referring to the fact that Apple makes mistakes and these should be recognized as well as when they do something good. I do not see you pointing out the fact that there are quite many people pretty tanked off that their ATV's are not working. Do these people count as haters too, simply because they complain that their purchased product is not working as advertised?

End of discussion on this matter for me. I yield the rest of my minutes to the floor.
  • Reply 89 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhuff View Post

Well, they issued an updater. Dunno how "hacked" it is (but it must be, to a certain extent).

As an aside, and completely IMHO - the best way for Apple to address the Psystar issue is to have an inexpensive, consumer desktop avail. (can you say "updated Mac Mini" boys & girls ? There, I knew you could)

A Penryn-based Mini with updated graphics (Intel GMA X3100), a slightly larger hard disk, and a Superdrive for $499 or thereabouts would solve that market niche problem handily

The Intel GMA X3100 is not that much better then the then the gma 950 and the laptop chip set one is slower then then the desktop x3000 and GMA X3500.

apple should look to nvidia and ati for good low cost video cards.

The $50 or less cards blow intel gma away and they have there own ram.
  • Reply 90 of 97
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Am I the only one eagerly waiting for the axe to come down squarely on Psystar's scrawny, outstretched neck?
  • Reply 91 of 97
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Well I'm sitting back and waiting in eager anticipation for the Psystar OpenBook and Psystar OpenBook Pro. Anyone fancy doing a mockup?

Don't forget the breathtakingly lovely OpenBook Air.
  • Reply 92 of 97
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of server hardware reliability and stability? Who exactly isn't going to buy a server with hacked firmware and drivers?

Everyone.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhuff View Post

I agree 99%. The mini is great, I'm working on one right now, it's very elegant for such a cheap device. The one thing I'd change with it is to simply add expandability. An extra drive bay so it's a little taller, or add fw800 and sell mini look alike enclosed hard drives to go with it and make a little stack. I know third parties make USB versions already. By making it fw800 it's more marketing than anything else, people's IT friends can't say that add on drives are really slow, as is the case with USB.

The problem is that many people rely on their IT capable friends to make recommendations, and they know they can't upgrade a mac mini to get the extended life through minor surgery that PC's get, or it's overly complicated to do so. Also, a user serviceable RAM slot like on the imac. Then it's a true, low cost desktop equivalent except for graphics. Psystar's legs are cut out from under them. If people want the psystar for games or graphics work, well let them. They should just get an iMac. This removes the low end expandability argument, and that's most of what they've got going for them, plus it's a lot more minis sold for Apple.
  • Reply 94 of 97
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    I would love to see the Cube coming back...it is a little larger than Mini, so Apple can put in some expansion options with PCIe slots.
  • Reply 95 of 97
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

But Psystar offers stellar enterprise-class suport. From their "About"page:

Since the two principals are all of 24 and 22 years old, I wonder where the rest of that 30 years of combined experience comes from.

Notice the use of the word combined in the article.
  • Reply 96 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Notice the use of the word combined in the article.

That is his point. IF we give them both 15 years of experience then they hve being working on enterprise level Macs and/or HW from the ages of 9 and 7.
  • Reply 97 of 97
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I agree 99%. The mini is great, I'm working on one right now, it's very elegant for such a cheap device. The one thing I'd change with it is to simply add expandability. An extra drive bay so it's a little taller, or add fw800 and sell mini look alike enclosed hard drives to go with it and make a little stack. I know third parties make USB versions already. By making it fw800 it's more marketing than anything else, people's IT friends can't say that add on drives are really slow, as is the case with USB.

The problem is that many people rely on their IT capable friends to make recommendations, and they know they can't upgrade a mac mini to get the extended life through minor surgery that PC's get, or it's overly complicated to do so. Also, a user serviceable RAM slot like on the imac. Then it's a true, low cost desktop equivalent except for graphics. Psystar's legs are cut out from under them. If people want the psystar for games or graphics work, well let them. They should just get an iMac. This removes the low end expandability argument, and that's most of what they've got going for them, plus it's a lot more minis sold for Apple.

Well there is the issue of a mid-level Mac that lets you attach a non-glossy graphics grade display.

Exactly the market Apple has killed, because it made the new iMac display too glossy, with too high and uneven lighting level.

Should Psystar successfully sell a model that Apple refuses to, Apple will have 2 choices, give the customer what they want or unleash the lawyers.

Knowing Apple I think I know which they'll choose.