Rogers says Canadian iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 for 150 mins

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The base package is $60, but with system access fees and taxes you are still talking more like $75 bucks a month. If you have any overages or roaming fees, then more like $85 or even a hundred. And that's for the cheapest package, and for what? A phone.

If all you want is a phone, I'm sure you can find something cheaper.
  • Reply 82 of 146
  • Reply 83 of 146
    whuzzawhuzza Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franco Borgo View Post

I do have some questions:

Does Rogers Plan include these like At&T does

1. Roll-over minutes ( I really want that)

2. Free long Distances call in the whole country

3. Free Roaming

and stuff like Call ID, Call forwarding etc. ?

Is it possible to ask Rogers to Cut my internet access once I have reach the 400MB Limit ?

I hope to built a chart to compare the iPhone plan in many country after July 11.

1. No rollover minutes.

2. Ha ha, no. Canada doesn't have a nationwide free LD like in the U.S.

3. No free roaming when using your phone outside your home calling region.

The only way to get caller ID is to purchase the $15 or $20 "value pack". Caller ID isn't available as a separate add-on to any plan. Same deal with call forwarding, it's only available as part of either "value pack".

Some employee pricing plans have caller ID bundled to the monthly rate, but no one knows whether there'll be any such plans for the iPhone 3G.

Like most carriers, Rogers does not inform you when you exceed your data limit. I found out the hard way from my next monthly bill. At least on the iPhone, it keeps track of incoming and outgoing data usage, so you can check whether you're close to your limit.
  • Reply 84 of 146
    He meant the largest country on earth that is getting the iPhone on July 11.
  • Reply 85 of 146
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Mr. Rogers, it is not a good day in the neighborhood!

This is a portion of what I emailed to him:

As a current customer of Bell Mobility, you had a chance to switch me over to your company with the iPhone. Unfortunately, your pricing plans are simply too unreasonable and border on gouging. Because of this, my plans to switch have been put on hold until such a time as Rogers sees fit to be competitive and give the Canadian public good value and service.

I can only imagine how many other possible new customers you have denied yourself with these tactics.

• Reply 86 of 146
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No, Rogers bought ATT Canada and launch the Rogers network before buying Fido. Rogers couldn't get customers and Fido had a more advanced network, so buying Fido got them a million or so new customers and a better network...and a GSM monopoly.

I don't think so. Teddy started Rogers Cantel in the mid 80's with help from ATT (USA). He also created Rogers Network Services (using the CNCP / Unitel assets), which was sold to MetroNet for $1Billion, then merged with ATT Canada (for a lot more).

He later bought back the chunk ATT Wireless owned in Rogers Wireless, then bought Fido (Microcell Comm) right after.
  • Reply 87 of 146
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    I've been complaining about the plans here in Germany, but man, this plan is bad.. I feel for you guys in Canada.. the 3 year contract is really the straw that breaks the camels back.. I'd say it now takes the cake as the worst deal so far world wide..
  • Reply 88 of 146
    naftalimnaftalim Posts: 25member
    These "plans" are horrible and just more of the same from Rogers. I am a Rogers customer. I have an unlocked iPhone with no Data Plan. I will not be upgrading to the 3G with this crap

For the basic plan, who uses only 150 minutes a month? Evening starts at 9:00PM?

So, if you need any kind of decent voice and data that is actually usable, you have to move up to the $75 or $100 plan which is actually closer to $100-120 once you add Caller ID, evening at 6PM etc.

Rogers keeps using that outdated nonsenses stat about how many emails or web pages you can get with each plan. The iPhone is an always connected device and the usage is no longer just email or webpages, but various widgets, apps from the AppStore, MobileMe etc. There will be a lot of naive users who will buy the basic plan only to get an enormous bill at the end of the month for overages. There is no way for you to check where you are at during the month.

Worse though, is that approach of forcing you to see how little you can use the device instead of how much. Who wants to have such a device where you constantly have to worry about your limits?

I had a Treo with Rogers and a Data Plan, it was a horrible experience, cost overruns to the point where my monthly bills were over $350 and I was barely surfing the web, only email. In the end I cancelled the data plan. However, here I had this great Smartphone that the only features I could use was the phone and address book.

Trouble is, we Canadians are sheep and we just put up with it.

Rogers may be in for a surprise. The early adaptors have already purchased an iPhone, so now its about monthly costs, not the gadget.
  • Reply 89 of 146
    naftalimnaftalim Posts: 25member
    These are the people to contact

[email protected] (President Rogers Wireless)

[email protected] VP Marketing

[email protected]

[email protected]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diazhill View Post

Ted Rogers [email protected]

J Innes (VP) [email protected]

Jane Haitsma [email protected]

Please email them, politely, to express the disappointment you feel with the new iphone data plans

Also general contact form is here :

https://your.rogers.com/contact/contactus_main.asp

APPLE :

To email apple's media relations top guy

Simon Atkins ( Canada )

[email protected]

and

The head corporate media guy in the USA

Steve Dowling

[email protected]

(408) 974-1896

and the BIG honcho at Apple for communications is :

Katie Cotton

[email protected]

Vice President of Worldwide Corporate Communications

• Reply 90 of 146
  • Reply 91 of 146
    There's a slight difference between the Fido and Rogers plans: the 20$ "value pack" *cough* includes evenings starting at 5pm, rather than 6pm for Rogers.

The regular plans seem to be the same as the Robbers ones. They list "unlimited evenings and weekends" but don't specify when evenings are considered to start.

I hope that the regular Fido plans have evenings starting earlier than 9pm. This is the most egregious aspect of the pricey Rogers plans, IMHO.
  • Reply 92 of 146
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member
    So, for 30% higher cost than AT&T, we receive 1/3 of the service.

450 anywhere in the USA minutes vs

150 local minutes

Mobile to Mobile Free vs

Charged

Incoming Calls Free vs

incoming Charged

Free Call Display/Evenings start at 7PM vs

$20 Call Display/Evenings start at 7PM

Unlimited Data vs

400MB Data

1/3 fewer text messages

per minute billing (Rogers) vs

per second billing (Go Fido ...)

2 Year Contract vs

3 Year Contract

I have phone calls that are longer than 150 minutes ... but, if you were to exceed your basic package, and use a similar amount of airtime offered in the entry level AT&T package:

Basic -$60.00

Call Display - $20.00

Fees: $6.95

911: $0.50

Additional 300 Talk minutes @.35 = $105.00

Additional 400MB Data = $40.20

$232.45 plus Long Distance @.25/min charges plus GST & PST

You'd have to be a moron to sign up for this package. On the bright side, there should be a flood of cheap v1 iPhones coming from Americans upgrading, and a City Fido plan, with a LD package and the new 300MB data plan comes in around $90
  • Reply 93 of 146
    sadmirsadmir Posts: 1member
    Open Letter to Steve Jobs about the situation.

http://www.fuckyourogers.com/dearsteve.php

also digg it here ; http://digg.com/apple/Open_Letter_to...hone_in_Canada
  • Reply 94 of 146
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

So, for 30% higher cost than AT&T, we receive 1/3 of the service.

450 anywhere in the USA minutes vs

150 local minutes

Mobile to Mobile Free vs

Charged

Incoming Calls Free vs

incoming Charged

Free Call Display/Evenings start at 7PM vs

$20 Call Display/Evenings start at 7PM

Unlimited Data vs

400MB Data

1/3 fewer text messages

per minute billing (Rogers) vs

per second billing (Go Fido ...)

2 Year Contract vs

3 Year Contract

I have phone calls that are longer than 150 minutes ... but, if you were to exceed your basic package, and use a similar amount of airtime offered in the entry level AT&T package:

Basic -$60.00

Call Display - $20.00

Fees: $6.95

911: $0.50

Additional 300 Talk minutes @.35 = $105.00

Additional 400MB Data = $40.20

$232.45 plus Long Distance @.25/min charges plus GST & PST

You'd have to be a moron to sign up for this package. On the bright side, there should be a flood of cheap v1 iPhones coming from Americans upgrading, and a City Fido plan, with a LD package and the new 300MB data plan comes in around $90

Apparently "AT&T says it rakes in an average of $95 a month from each iPhone customer.*" for 450 minutes and thus will now cost $105.

ATT Evenings start at 9PM, you can up to early nights, i.e., 7PM for an additional $8.99 a month

And there are terms for be aware of: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=average+phone+bill+of+an+iPhone+user+is+$95&i e=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Have to read the fine print.

*http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=average+phone+bill+of+an+iPhone+user+is+$95&i e=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  • Reply 95 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Apparently "AT&T says it rakes in an average of $95 a month from each iPhone customer.*" for 450 minutes and thus will now cost $105.

ATT Evenings start at 9PM, you can up to early nights, i.e., 7PM for an additional $8.99 a month

And there are terms for be aware of: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=average+phone+bill+of+an+iPhone+user+is+$95&i e=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Have to read the fine print.

*http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=average+phone+bill+of+an+iPhone+user+is+$95&i e=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

He also lists incoming calls as free with AT&T. This isn't Europe. He also lists an additional 400MB even though it's hard to use that much with the current iPhone (new one will obviously be easier) and lists fees and 911 as if the US carriers are charged for that.

Plus, the whole idea of comparing different carriers in different countries makes little sense anyway. If Rogers plan is too much then he can wait until v2.0 is unlocked and buy a contract free iPhone which he can use with the Canadian GSM carrier of their choice.

PS: What is up with urls not auto-linking?
  • Reply 96 of 146
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I also hope a meteor falls on Rogers HQ and kills them all.

My goodness this quote is funny as hell. Rain, you are the (person). ROFLMAO !!!!!!!
  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He also lists incoming calls as free with AT&T. This isn't Europe. He also lists an additional 400MB even though it's hard to use that much with the current iPhone (new one will obviously be easier) and lists fees and 911 as if the US carriers are charged for that.

Plus, the whole idea of comparing different carriers in different countries makes little sense anyway. If Rogers plan is too much then he can wait until v2.0 is unlocked and buy a contract free iPhone which he can use with the Canadian GSM carrier of their choice.

PS: What is up with urls not auto-linking?

Hey solipsism, a bit of what is going on over here in Europe (Finland)

Just had a visit with the local Sonera dealer here. Seems that they had a big hole in their iPhone plans. People that already have a Sonera card, can simply put this card in their iPhone and it will work. The fun part comes in, in a situation like mine. I have 500 mins, 500 SMS, REAL unlimited data (not capped), and wifi all for 45? a month. If you go to: http://www.sonera.fi/Puhelin%20ja%20liittym%E4/Hinnat (sorry about the Finnish) you will see how they forgot about current Sonera card holders. So my current package is cheaper than their subsidized ones. I will simply buy the phone. After I pay for it, they will unlock it and I am free and clear with an unlocked iPhone on a cheaper tariff. The guy in the shop started laughing and saying that he will tell all his friends to just come in and get a new sim card, create their own service packages and then buy an iPhone outright when they are available.
  • Reply 98 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No, Rogers bought ATT Canada and launch the Rogers network before buying Fido. Rogers couldn't get customers and Fido had a more advanced network, so buying Fido got them a million or so new customers and a better network...and a GSM monopoly.

That's not true. (Before you ask, yes, I'm an ex-Rogers employee).

AT&T Canada was a landline business and had nothing to do with wireless. Rogers owned it for a brief time (Unitel); it's now called AllStream.

Rogers did have a relationship with AT&T Wireless in branding and investment; that was shed back in 2004.

Rogers built their GSM network on their own dime (it was over $1B+!) back in 2001-2002. They have not yet recouped the cost as it was built way before people in Canada were ready for mobile data (that and Rogers didn't know how to price it for consumers). Fido largely mostly funded by T-Mobile. They were not more advanced in terms of network, though they did have GSM 850mhz. Though their billing system arguably was better, metering per-second, creating lots more compelling options. They expanded coverage and had better customer base in Western Canada (to compete with Telus). Rogers bought them in Autumn 2004.

Anyway, not until the iPhone did it really matter whether you were GSM or CDMA -- Treos and BlackBerry was available for either... so it's really hard to call Rogers a "monopoly" when they have so much competition from Telus and Bell. OTOH, Rogers Cable surely is a monopoly (though satellite has hurt them big time).

I guess the point is that sure vs. the U.S. these plans suck but welcome to the Canadian market -- the WHOLE REASON you have this is because the mobile companies have to be majority "Canadian" owned -- this means Vodaphone, T-Mobile etc. aren't really allowed to compete and charge lower prices.

Rogers sucks in their own way but honestly look at the competition:

Bell -- $30/month for 150 minutes, $6/month for Call Display, and $60/month for 30MB of data , $100/month for 1 GB of data! That's like $90 - $130/month. On the bright side you can get an HTC Touch for free if you sign up for 3 years.

Telus on the other hand has unlimited Email + Web Browsing for $30 if you buy a voice plan worth $30 or more. So they have the best data deal (and they're EVDO), though they're still only 150 minutes for the $30 voice plan!
  • Reply 99 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parasubvert View Post

That's not true. (Before you ask, yes, I'm an ex-Rogers employee).

AT&T Canada was a landline business and had nothing to do with wireless. Rogers owned it for a brief time (Unitel); it's now called AllStream.

Rogers did have a relationship with AT&T Wireless in branding and investment; that was shed back in 2004.

Rogers built their GSM network on their own dime (it was over $1B+!) back in 2001-2002. They have not yet recouped the cost as it was built way before people in Canada were ready for mobile data (that and Rogers didn't know how to price it for consumers). Fido largely mostly funded by T-Mobile. They were not more advanced in terms of network, though they did have GSM 850mhz. Though their billing system arguably was better, metering per-second, creating lots more compelling options. They expanded coverage and had better customer base in Western Canada (to compete with Telus). Rogers bought them in Autumn 2004.

Anyway, not until the iPhone did it really matter whether you were GSM or CDMA -- Treos and BlackBerry was available for either... so it's really hard to call Rogers a "monopoly" when they have so much competition from Telus and Bell. OTOH, Rogers Cable surely is a monopoly (though satellite has hurt them big time).

I guess the point is that sure vs. the U.S. these plans suck but welcome to the Canadian market -- the WHOLE REASON you have this is because the mobile companies have to be majority "Canadian" owned -- this means Vodaphone, T-Mobile etc. aren't really allowed to compete and charge lower prices.

Rogers sucks in their own way but honestly look at the competition:

Bell -- $30/month for 150 minutes, $6/month for Call Display, and $60/month for 30MB of data , $100/month for 1 GB of data! That's like $90 - $130/month. On the bright side you can get an HTC Touch for free if you sign up for 3 years.

Telus on the other hand has unlimited Email + Web Browsing for $30 if you buy a voice plan worth $30 or more. So they have the best data deal (and they're EVDO), though they're still only 150 minutes for the $30 voice plan!

Thank you God, I don't live in Canada. Nothing against the country, but damn, those operators are murder.
  • Reply 100 of 146
    Pretty much everyone now knows how much it is going to cost to use

the iPhone on the Rogers and Fido networks. Some people, shocked by

the advertised plans, which can hardly be called generous, have

hastened to call Rogers to express their indignation. To their great

surprise, they have been told that the company might modify their

offer, to improve it in light of the feedback received leading up to

July 11th.

In order to get more information, we contacted Rogers and were told

that the posted plans were only temporary and that they might indeed

be modified if there was a great amount of feedback. Should we

conclude that the plans are just a trail balloon launched by the

Canadian operator in order to take the pulse of future subscribers?

If this is the case, it is surely worthwhile to give a phone call to

Rogers in order to make them understand that the fees demanded for

the use of the iPhone on the Rogers network are completely

unreasonable and could encourage us to turn our backs on July 11th.

Rogers customer service: 1-877-764-3772

(added - Fido customer service: 1 888 481-3436)

translated freely from http://www.macquebec.com/spip.php?article4752