AT&T says original iPhones can be deactivated and used as WiFi iPods

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Original iPhone owners who prefer not to give away or sell their old iPhones after upgrading to an iPhone 3G can instead keep their devices and use them as WiFi-enabled iPods, AT&T has confirmed.

The exclusive US provider for the Apple handset issued a series of documents and videos this week instructing existing iPhone owners on the steps necessary to hand down their old phones to family members or friends after purchasing a new 3G model.

Although that's the route AT&T prefers, as it generates high margin service revenues for each additional iPhone on its network, it's not the only option owners have.

A spokesperson for the carrier confirmed to AppleInsider that neither AT&T nor Apple will prevent de-activated first-generation iPhones for serving as surrogate iPod touches.

"If the [original] device is not re-activated as a wireless phone after you?ve upgraded to iPhone 3G, it will still work as an iTunes player and can access Wi-Fi," the spokesperson said.

That means old iPhones can still surf the web, check email, and browse the mobile iTunes store when connected to WiFi. Additionally, they'll be able to function as a handheld gaming device and widescreen video iPod with calendar and photo functions.

It's recommended that owners who take this approach upgrade their original iPhones with iPhone Software v2.0 (which includes the App Store) on July 11th prior to de-activating the devices, as it's unclear whether upgrades to non-active handsets will be possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    qwen3579qwen3579 Posts: 6member
    What?

I can use my $500 iPhone as an iPod Touch that sells for $300?!

Wow!! Thanks Apple! That's a terrific idea!

• Reply 2 of 77
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Yeah man....dont do us any special favors.....WTF
  • Reply 3 of 77
    hardymanhardyman Posts: 8member
    Last time I checked the iPod Touch didn't have a speaker. Hello $200 speaker! I know some iPod Touch owners who'd kill for that. In fact my friend Kenny killed over that 5 min ago when learning of this.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    So once you've upgraded to a 3g Iphone, you no longer have the ability to swap the SIM between your your old phone and the new one? The upgrade renders your 1st gen useless as a calling device?? WTF??
  • Reply 5 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qwen3579 View Post

What?

Um, Apple just handed the best deal for owners of a year-old technology I've ever seen in tech.

Original iPhone owners can now sell their old iPhones (now a touch with camera and speaker) at a really good price. Name another year-old technology that will have held its value that much.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So once you've upgraded to a 3g Iphone, you no longer have the ability to swap the SIM between your your old phone and the new one? The upgrade renders your 1st gen useless as a calling device?? WTF??

I don't see where the article says that at all. The context is for orig iPhone owners who choose NOT to re-activate.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    AT&T really are being impressively shameless here - they don't even have the decency to throw you guys an unlock code? Sometimes I can only thank God for [slightly] more comprehensive European consumer protection rights - I don't see the same game cutting the mustard most places over here...

To all stuck in this position, once your warranty is up anyway surely you'd be mad not to jailbreak and unlock? It really is painless...

And it should be stressed, it is not illegal, it merely voids a possibly already expired warranty.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qwen3579 View Post

What?

I'm not quite sure what you're complaining about. You can use your old iPhone any way you want. As a phone, as an iPod, as a paperweight, or as a doorstop. You can keep it, give it away, sell it, or flush it down the toilet. It's entirely up to you. It's probably worth less now than it was new, but how is that different from any other piece of one-year old, used electronic equipment?
  • Reply 9 of 77
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Well AT&T says its ok to do so...... That makes it all better. AT&T - FTW!
  • Reply 10 of 77
    chronartchronart Posts: 19member
    Seems like the first issue to think about is when and if you can get 3G service in your primary hunting grounds. I live just south of Santa Rosa California. Looks like I am 5 to 8 miles out of the service area.

Also, I have not read anywhere, will the 3G phone work on the old Edge data network?

Barry Gamble
  • Reply 11 of 77
    qwen3579qwen3579 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

I'm not quite sure what you're complaining about. You can use your old iPhone any way you want. As a phone, as an iPod, as a paperweight, or as a doorstop. You can keep it, give it away, sell it, or flush it down the toilet. It's entirely up to you. It's probably worth less now than it was new, but how is that different from any other piece of one-year old, used electronic equipment?

I wasn't trying to say that this was the ONLY option, I just thought it was an CRAZY option thrown out there by Apple. I fully intend on selling mine on eBay (where they currently fetch $200-$300) where buyers who have other carriers buy them up like crazy.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Why not just sell it off?

I unloaded my one-year-old iPhone on the Argentine eBay variant couple of weeks ago for $400.

Don't expect the second-hand price to drop substantially past July 11th as the non-contract iPhone 3G will still command over $500.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicgumdrop View Post

AT&T really are being impressively shameless here - they don't even have the decency to throw you guys an unlock code? Sometimes I can only thank God for [slightly] more comprehensive European consumer protection rights - I don't see the same game cutting the mustard most places over here...

To all stuck in this position, once your warranty is up anyway surely you'd be mad not to jailbreak and unlock? It really is painless...

And it should be stressed, it is not illegal, it merely voids a possibly already expired warranty.

I think that remains to be seen. Typically, once you are off contract it's much easier to get the unlock code. In some areas, I believe they are required to provide it when asked once the contract term is up. Since no iPhone has yet to come off contract (and I've not heard of anyone paying the early termination fee), do we know what ATT's policy is going to be?

I guess we'll find out soon enough as people upgrade and start asking for the unlock code. (Then again, does the iPhone even use an unlock code in the usual sense?)
  • Reply 14 of 77
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Guess once it's deactivated they plan to start (over)charging you for future software updates like iPod touch users.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    anks329anks329 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronart View Post

Seems like the first issue to think about is when and if you can get 3G service in your primary hunting grounds. I live just south of Santa Rosa California. Looks like I am 5 to 8 miles out of the service area.

Also, I have not read anywhere, will the 3G phone work on the old Edge data network?

Barry Gamble

Yup, if the phone can't find a 3G signal it should default back down to the EDGE network
  • Reply 16 of 77
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Thank you ATT for finally answering the question Ive been asking for a month
  • Reply 17 of 77
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Not sure that this is really even news... Cancelled a contract on an iPhone a couple months back and it worked as stated. This isn't a change in their policy, just them pointing it out.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Unbelievable deal.

If you live in an area with well-saturated wifi, just run SIP-VoIP and have a nice little device for a shell of what a traditionally "functional" one would cost you.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Not sure that this is really even news... Cancelled a contract on an iPhone a couple months back and it worked as stated. This isn't a change in their policy, just them pointing it out.

It's interesting though from the point of view of the market.

What this says to me is that if the market is going to be flooded with "surrogate" iPod touch's that are actually better than the one Apple (currently) makes, that the new refreshed iPod touch in September will likely have a camera and speaker just to keep up.

This seems like Apple's only remaining plan to topple the cell phone monopolies and their control of the market, by pushing WiFi as it's replacement and allowing people to manoeuvre around the prohibitive contracts with technology. If they give up on that, they have more or less given up on doing anything interesting or new with this market at all.

Apple is lucky that the iPhone hasn't cannibalised the iPod market *too* much, and was careful to not let the original touch cannibalise iPhone sales, but they need to bring the touch more in line with the iPhone now or lose the market segment for the touch altogether. I bet in less than two months we see a much more capable iPod touch, as well as a nano touch or nano iPhone as Apple moves into the market with a vengeance.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Guess once it's deactivated they plan to start (over)charging you for future software updates like iPod touch users.

You are most likely correct. The article is fairly silly aside from the VERY important last point it makes, which is that you need to go to software update 2.0 BEFORE you iTouch your phone.