Apple's App Store launches with more than 500 apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple said Thursday that more than 500 native applications are now available on the iPhone's App Store for use with the new iPhone 3G that goes on sale tomorrow.

Over 500 apps, many free

Over 125 of those applications -- or more than 25 percent -- are being offered for free. According to Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, 90 percent of the remaining applications will cost just $9.99 or less.

"This is the biggest launch of my career," he said.

Browse all apps, or by section

Users who've downloaded the just-release iTunes 7.7 software can already browse the App Store via the jukebox software. The store offers sections that list: All iPhone Applications, All iPod touch Applications, All Free Applications, Most Popular Applications, and Most Popular Free Applications.

Browse by category

Users can also browse the store by category listings: Business, Education, Entertainment, Finance, Games, Healthcare & Fitness, Lifestyle, Music, Navigation, News, Photography, Productivity, Reference, Social Networking, Sports, Travel, Utilities, and Weather.

Apple said many of the new applications take advantage of iPhone's large display, Multi-Touch user interface, fast hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, built-in accelerometer and location-based technology.

Top free apps

Unsurprisingly, the top free application at the moment is Apple's own new iTunes Remote, with which you can "control the music on your computer or Apple TV from your iPod touch or iPhone. Play, pause, skip, shuffle. See your songs, playlists, and album art on your iPod touch or iPhone as if you were right in front of your computer. Remote works with your Wi-Fi network, so you can control playback from anywhere in and around your home."

Other notable free applications include AOL's Instant Messaging application, Google's Mobile Searching application, Six Apart's TypePad blogging application, and a New York Times news application.

Top pay apps

The five most popular pay applications include Sega's Super Monkey Ball, Pangea's Cro-Mag Rally, Pangea's Enigmo, Freeze Tag's Etch A Sketch, and Apple's own Texas Hold'em.

Apple has also posted an App Store Frequently Asked Questions list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    eBay app not available in the Canadian store \

... and what's with the Travelocity broken link? "Travelocity" produces no results in an iTunes Store search.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my corp firewall won't let me download itunes or view apps store, can you tell me if there are

voice dialing apps

gps

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 41
    simacsimac Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's Mobile Searching application

This is not available in the UK Store - which is strange...
  • Reply 4 of 41
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Counting each eBook title as a separate app is a bit of a stretch. Still, the amount of apps is pretty dang impressive for the launch.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Anyone know if I can purchase one app through the store and install on both my iPhones?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    quite an impressive launch, and I'm very happy to see that Apple updated its first game, texas hold'em, and its reasonably priced at $4.99. And the FREE remote app looks fine too, especially, and I mean especially since it controls Apple TV. Good job Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

my corp firewall won't let me download itunes or view apps store, can you tell me if there are

voice dialing apps

gps

thanks

i couldn't find a voice dialing app. a ton of voice recorder apps... but nothing like what you want.

gps - none
  • Reply 8 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SiMac View Post

It's here live in IE
  • Reply 9 of 41
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SiMac View Post

Though we can download the USA's YellowPages.com app, which is terribly confusing. I think they'll need to sort out which apps are suitable for which country.

There's a bazillion ToDo list and shopping list apps.

Also, I noticed 'Things', the GTD app is £5.99 in the category page but when you click on the info link it's £11.99.

Still a few things to work through then!
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Oh and the much pilloried TripLog app made the cut too. Apple obviously has very low standards for entry into the app store.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Oh and the much pilloried TripLog app made the cut too. Apple obviously has very low standards for entry into the app store.

Well they have bad music on iTunes as well. Do you really want them to be filtering the apps you can install after all this clamoring to making this an open platform? Really, people always find something to complain about!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    aapl-ipaapl-ip Posts: 7member
    most of the apps available now strike me as being like the majority of widgets - underpowered and unnecessary utilities that might get downloaded, but not actually used with any regularity.

blah.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Well they have bad music on iTunes as well. Do you really want them to be filtering the apps you can install after all this clamoring to making this an open platform? Really, people always find something to complain about!

Quite the opposite. It's a good thing we have shit apps on there as one of the counter claims to not opening it up was Apple's apparent taste police.

I'm missing the apps I want though still for remote admin - ssh and vnc. Surely someone developed those?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    knowltonknowlton Posts: 11member
    Iphone 2.0 avalible not through itunes

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2008/07/b...are-brave.html
  • Reply 15 of 41
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    App store is not showing up in Canada as of 7:45 AM PDT. If you search for apps they are there, and if you then click on the path statement, you can even navigate to the app store, but there is no link on the main iTunes store page to the app store, nor is there a link in iTunes itself as several reviewers have said.

Lotsa confusion this mornin...
  • Reply 16 of 41
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aapl-ip View Post

most of the apps available now strike me as being like the majority of widgets - underpowered and unnecessary utilities that might get downloaded, but not actually used with any regularity.

blah.

Yah!!! These developers have had MONTHS (3 or 4 perhaps) of time putting up with an EVER CHANGING SDK (lots and lots of changes) we should see perfection at its finest....

C'mon give the developers a bit of a break will ya?!?! 3 months from 'concept' to 'release' is unheard of! You will also see the more polished apps are those who already had reusable code in place from other platform/version of their app.

As far as I'm concerned this is quite an impressive showing considering they only allowed 4000 of the 25000 interested developers into the early access program. The rest of us had to be happy with testing our apps on a 'virtual device'...

SO APPLE LET THE REST OF US INTO THE PROGRAM ALREADY!!!!!!!

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 41
    as I am not in USA and in my coutry appstore will be release later this year, then I can just dream about... 3G

But for my 2G iPhone there could be grat app for

1. Mobile banking app (as Bank of America has now in appstore) for biggest finance institutions in my country (for top 5 banks) ... with ATM search.

2. Easy to use Podcasting (record, mix, publish) app.

3. Push email support from Lotus notes/domino

4. new multiplayer games (tur by turn strategy, real-time racing)

5. Mobile IP - TV (you can stream TV channels if you are on Wifi network)... like youtube, but real time (especially for sport events, news)

6. Skype app.

Theese could be the one I will use often....

The ones offered today is the "one try/day apps"
  • Reply 18 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vigants View Post

as I am not in USA and in my coutry appstore will be release later this year, then I can just dream about... 3G

But for my 2G iPhone there could be grat app for

1. Mobile banking app (as Bank of America has now in appstore) for biggest finance institutions in my country (for top 5 banks) ... with ATM search.

2. Easy to use Podcasting (record, mix, publish) app.

3. Push email support from Lotus notes/domino

4. new multiplayer games (tur by turn strategy, real-time racing)

5. Mobile IP - TV (you can stream TV channels if you are on Wifi network)... like youtube, but real time (especially for sport events, news)

6. Skype app.

Theese could be the one I will use often....

The ones offered today is the "one try/day apps"

When did Apple marketing let "you" go?
  • Reply 19 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Downloaded 7.7, but I can't see the store. I can click on the link on AI and then it opens in iTunes, but it's nowhere in the software itself.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    oweneckoweneck Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Downloaded 7.7, but I can't see the store. I can click on the link on AI and then it opens in iTunes, but it's nowhere in the software itself.

I don't think there is, you have to go to the iTunes store first and then there's now a category for it but when you download an application and Applications item will show in the list within the iTunes software after that.