Apple sells 1 million iPhone 3Gs in first weekend

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    kiwi66kiwi66 Posts: 7member
    Quote:

AFAIK there were no supply problems with iPhone 1.0 until about a week or so after launch though. It seems to me that supply problems are actually *greater* this time, in that iPhone 2.0 is sold out in many markets, and was on the very first day in some.

Within less than one hour to be exact.And I don't see that apple can supply the demand for a while.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    So by your math, 1 million iPhone 3G means there are 10 million UNLOCKED original iPhones, when Apple has said they sold a total of 6 million.

Nice work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwi66 View Post

Really? come on, the original iPhone was sold only on AT&T. The iPhone 3G was sold on many many more mobile operators and not just the american market. Didn't you realize that USA is just a small fraction of the world? Yes there is a world outside united states. A world who invented GSM and uses GSM since over 15 years and which has fantastic devices from fantastic other vendors. That market is way bigger. Apple should have sold like 30 million units in the first week if they did it right (like abandon carrier lock, add full MMS, WAP and Bluetooth support).

The number of hacked iPhone 2G phones in my country is still 10 times bigger than the number of carrier locked iPhone 3G phones. Not a surprise to me.

• Reply 23 of 68
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not to rain on anyone's parade but...

1,000,000 iPhones divided into 21 countries averages out to just 47,619.05 iPhones per country (in a perfect world, I know)... so last year's original iPhone launch of 270,000 iPhones in the first two days overwhelms the response for 3G iPhones.

Although, before I get slammed for looking at it this way, it would have been interesting to see what the actual total number of 3G iPhones sold could have been if A) they didn't have to deal with the early issues of non-activation from iTunes bogging the retail outlets down and B) they had an unlimited supply of all three model iPhones, in all colors, for all countries, and all retail outlets in those countries.

But, congrats to Apple all the same!

The real "WOW" factor would have been if Apple could have sold 270,000 iPhones 3G in three days in all countries. 270,000 x 21 = 5,670,000 iPhones... Wow!

Well, lets see how many iPhone 3G's are sold in 74 days.

That would be fair, right?
  • Reply 24 of 68
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Obligatory Apple is teh d00med! post
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:

Within less than one hour to be exact.And I don't see that apple can supply the demand for a while.

Yup. Demand is far outweighing supply at this stage for a few months. Unless Apple had a contingency plan of a whole 'nother factory complex in China that is going to supply a few million "2nd batch" iPhone 3Gs over the next week. Which is unlikely given their conservatism (not a real word I think). And what about the other 50 or so countries? To roll it out there in a few months time
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maybesew View Post

Are you retarded? Are you going to compare the populations of switzerland, finland, belgium, etc to the US?

Maybe if it launched in 21 countries with populations roughly equivalent to the US your argument would come close to making any sense.

Somebody should do the math, take 1 million iPhone 3Gs, divide it by all the launch countries but weighted by population. Adjust for purchasing power parity. Gene Munster and Shaw Wu this means YOU!

This should give some figure of potential relative success of iPhone 3Gs in each country. To then try and infer back how many *was* actually sold in each country. Let's just say the UK has zero iPhone 3Gs for sale. And not many white 16gb's have been available for sale.

• Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

They would have sold a lot more if there were enough iPhones in Europe...

I think Macs and iPhone3Gs have a lot of potential in "Old Europe". My view and experience of Europe in the past several years, Europe almost has a bit of a "Mac" feel and mentality to it. Classic yet elegant, refined yet futuristic, playful yet determined.

The advantage of the US though remains huge fairly unified market, low barriers to culture and communication across 300 million people. The EU is making progress, but success in the EU takes a certain level of European sophistication itself to succeed.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Really?

Yeah, really. You don't think selling a million of ANY product in a weekend, much less a fairly pricey phone with a fairly pricey contract is impressive?

For comparison, has any other phone sold that fast, or anything even close to it? If it's the fastest selling phone ever, that sure as hell IS a WOW.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not to rain on anyone's parade but...

1,000,000 iPhones divided into 21 countries averages out to just 47,619.05 iPhones per country (in a perfect world, I know)... so last year's original iPhone launch of 270,000 iPhones in the first two days overwhelms the response for 3G iPhones.

Although, before I get slammed for looking at it this way, it would have been interesting to see what the actual total number of 3G iPhones sold could have been if A) they didn't have to deal with the early issues of non-activation from iTunes bogging the retail outlets down and B) they had an unlimited supply of all three model iPhones, in all colors, for all countries, and all retail outlets in those countries.

But, congrats to Apple all the same!

The real "WOW" factor would have been if Apple could have sold 270,000 iPhones 3G in three days in all countries. 270,000 x 21 = 5,670,000 iPhones... Wow!

All of those countries COMBINED have only a little more than twice the population of the US. If the iPhone proves as popular in all of those countries as it did in the US, then you're looking at a third of a million sold in the US, which is still higher than 270,000, and two thirds sold in the other 20 countries. It's unlikely that it's going to sell as well in, say, Mexico as it did in the US though and I doubt the advertising campaign in Belgium was anything like in the US. I'm guessing half a million were sold in the US.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    I "bought" an iPhone 3G on Friday the 11th at 9am. Actually I was at the service center for TELCEL (Mexico carrier) from 9am to 10:13am and they sent me home without my unit. They gave me a receipt saying it would take at MOST 72hrs to activate my plan and hand over my iPhone. I just came from the Service Center, more than 72hrs that the contract stipulates and they still can't give it to me because I asked that my number be ported to keep the same one and this is what they use as an excuse.

So, when they say they sold 1M iPhones in the 1st weekend, does everyone have their iPhone or are there more folks like me who "bought" one and still don't have it??
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogeriogal View Post

I "bought" an iPhone 3G on Friday the 11th at 9am. Actually I was at the service center for TELCEL (Mexico carrier) from 9am to 10:13am and they sent me home without my unit. They gave me a receipt saying it would take at MOST 72hrs to activate my plan and hand over my iPhone. I just came from the Service Center, more than 72hrs that the contract stipulates and they still can't give it to me because I asked that my number be ported to keep the same one and this is what they use as an excuse.

So, when they say they sold 1M iPhones in the 1st weekend, does everyone have their iPhone or are there more folks like me who "bought" one and still don't have it??

Yes I think you "count" because you got your receipt. Don't worry, it could be over 1 million iPhone 3Gs "sold" in the past few days at around 20% to 30% of those may still have activation, etc. issues which I "blame" out of bias, on the telco companies.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Self-Delete
  • Reply 33 of 68
    I wonder how many iPhones Apple would have sold if they weren't shackled to the Man?
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Edit: Macworld UK has mentioned that there are some O2 outlets in the UK that during the chaos on Friday sold iPhone 3Gs without contracts first, so O2 has a hell of a lot of activation issues and paperwork, contracts etc to follow up, not to mention fixing their rubbish servers.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok, so ? how many outlets / stores is the phone available in divided by how many phones sold, that might be nice to know.

How many phones didn't get sold, because of screw-ups with servers and poor customer service ? that might be nice to know.

How many of the phones sold, but not activated over the weekend, counted ? that might be nice to know.

Now that it's going a bit smoother, how many iPhones sell this week ? THAT will be interesting to know!

Skip
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I wonder how many iPhones Apple would have sold if they weren't shackled to the Man?

As many as they can make.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Ok, so ? how many outlets / stores is the phone available in divided by how many phones sold, that might be nice to know.

How many phones didn't get sold, because of screw-ups with servers and poor customer service ? that might be nice to know.

How many of the phones sold, but not activated over the weekend, counted ? that might be nice to know.

Now that it's going a bit smoother, how many iPhones sell this week ? THAT will be interesting to know!

Skip

Like I'm saying, however many iPhone 3G physical units which Apple made for these few weeks, those are definitely all sold.

But you have some good points of more information needed, definitely.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    great news ... the number and press it is (iPhone 3g) getting good

now Apple drop the bomb, announce MacBook and MBP tomorrow
  • Reply 39 of 68
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Our entire state (PA) is out of iPhones in the Apple Stores, and AT&T ran out on Friday in Philadelphia

The Apple Store in Christiana Mall had 8Gb and 16Gb (white only) iPhones as of Sunday morning when I got mine. Other buyers in line around me came from NJ, PA, and MD. Drive a wee bit south and you may find what you seek.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ? Does that count all the pre-sales at AT&T stores in which payment was made but product will be picked up and activated in 5-10 days.

? I wonder how many were sold in the US? I ask not only because I am your typical, fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating, warmongering, US-centric American, but because I'd like to compare it to last year's initial release.