Why cant iphone record video?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I dont understand why iphone 3g cant record video. Hackers have shown its possible but but yet a year after iphone and still nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    I know, its ridiculous. Thats one of the 3 things I was waiting for with the 3G and GPS.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I dont understand why iphone 3g cant record video. Hackers have shown its possible but but yet a year after iphone and still nothing.

I think it is a type of censorship.

Clearly the hardware can capture video. I think the problem is what happens next.

Compression would have to happen in software. I don't think there's any onboard hardware to squish the capture into a modest file size. And a 30 second video, followed by 5 minutes of "encoding to h264" would be a drag, and a massive battery drain.

And then people would want to mail videos. Upload videos to YouTube, and generally abuse the crap out of their unlimited data accounts. My guess is that AT&T have urged Apple to hold-back on the heavy outgoing data.

I suspect the next big feature in the next generation iPhone will be good quality video telephony. But that will require a chip or two extra. And a US carrier that is prepared to handle the data.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Is iphone 3g not running that SGOLD3 chip? I thought that was capable of capturing video.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Quote:

Is iphone 3g not running that SGOLD3 chip? I thought that was capable of capturing video.

This is the best chip-by-chip teardown I could find.

No sign of the PowerVR chip in here either. Must be on the processor?

C.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I remembered seeing a camcorder app for jailbroken iPhones that recorded fullscreen at 12-15 fps.

Hopefully the person that developed that will upgrade it to record at 15-24 fps & put it on the App

store.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

I remembered seeing a camcorder app for jailbroken iPhones that recorded fullscreen at 12-15 fps.

Hopefully the person that developed that will upgrade it to record at 15-24 fps & put it on the App

store.

Yeah, it was by DrunknBass. Anyone know what happened to it?
  • Reply 7 of 68
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Was it really 12-15fps?

I thought they only got to like 5 - 10 fps. What was the max length of the clip they could record?

I find it shocking that by the end of this year we will have phones that can record 720 by 480 @ 30fps and this cant do anything.

There must be a reason Apple have not optimised the phone for it right? I mean why blatantly leave out such a useful feature. It just doesnt make sense.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:

Was it really 12-15fps?

I thought they only got to like 5 - 10 fps. What was the max length of the clip they could record?

I find it shocking that by the end of this year we will have phones that can record 720 by 480 @ 30fps and this cant do anything.

There must be a reason Apple have not optimised the phone for it right? I mean why blatantly leave out such a useful feature. It just doesnt make sense.

Apple think different.

Instead of tossing in a mixed bag of features, they implement a much smaller feature set and do them right. When it comes time to upgrade the hardware, they add a few more features and so on.

Video playback is a priority for the device. Video recording is probably at 325 on the list.

Like I said earlier, video recording is a problem for the network operators. Because as soon as someone has recorded a video, the next thing they are going to do is email it to someone. The networks don't want to be moving video for free. They prefer to charge per message.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I think App Store should have at least 10fps video recording in about a few months or even over the next few weeks. There should be enough in the SDK to "poll" several fps off the camera. I'd be very surprised if we don't see some sort of cool video recording thingy by October this year.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Apple think different.

Like I said earlier, video recording is a problem for the network operators. Because as soon as someone has recorded a video, the next thing they are going to do is email it to someone. The networks don't want to be moving video for free. They prefer to charge per message.

C.

Can you back that up? Over here most people if anything upload it to youtube or some other site not send it to anyone.

In the UK the MMS limit is capped at 300kb so unless your shooting in cruddy QVGA you would surpass that in seconds ie your theory would hold no truth.

I really dont believe people would automatically wish to forward their videos to people via email and anyway wouldnt the filesize exceed the maximum amount depending on what resolution its recording in?
  • Reply 11 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Apple think different.

Sometimes they don't think at all, and refuse to listen to their customers.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    There's an iphone video recorder here:

http://www.iphonevideorecorder.com/

It does 15 fps. I don't think people need more than 15 fps from a camera phone as you usually just take quick clips. The video review on youtube showed some quite nice videos from it.

It should have been built-in though. When Apple make software like ichat that does on-the-fly H264 compression for high quality streaming, they could surely have applied that to the iphone to make it good at taking videos.

Perhaps they are just trying to stagger the features so that they have an upgrade path for the iphone 3.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    To the person who said that Apple implement few features, but implement them well. The camera app has already been designed, developed and implemented in the iPhone. There is no practical reason whatsoever for Apple to have not allowed the iPhone to shoot video. There must be some reason why Apple wants to control what you do on your phone, and I find that level of control in a personal device very scary indeed.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    As Carniphage was saying, they probably don't want video recording on the phone because AT&T doesn't want you sending video over the network. This includes emailing it, MMS, uploading it to youtube or uploading it to the web or via something from Apps Store.

I doubt though that upstream bandwidth is very good. Even home broadband providers limit upstream and allocate less of the pipe to upstream data. I'm all for video, but don't expect it until 3rd gen or at least don't expect to be able to send video over the network until then. What about WiFi though, hmmm..
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:

Can you back that up? Over here most people if anything upload it to youtube or some other site not send it to anyone.

In the UK the MMS limit is capped at 300kb so unless your shooting in cruddy QVGA you would surpass that in seconds ie your theory would hold no truth.

I really dont believe people would automatically wish to forward their videos to people via email and anyway wouldnt the filesize exceed the maximum amount depending on what resolution its recording in?

Whether you send it to your mates, or send it to YouTube, its a big upload.

How much does your network operator charge you for a 300kb MMS upload?

Scaling that up, how much for a 3MB video?

C.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdee4 View Post

Drunknbass is part of monsterandfriends.com . He was working on a video recording app called UShow, but he didn't get along with the people he was working with. So he stopped working with them and that project all together. Now he is working on a new better video recording app. He has not given the name of what it is called yet and don't ask he won't tell. It;s arriving in the app store soon. It should have many features like choosing different sound quality, different video qualities, sending to websites like Youtube and Facebook, and much more. It's probably gonna be 15 fps. You don't really need much more then that. Also some good news is it is supposed to be free. It will be a good app too because he only creates good app's, if it's not good then he won't release it. Don't ask when he'll release it he won't tell. He takes his time with his projects, but makes them well. My guess is it will be in the app store by the end of this month, possibly next month, but it could be longer. If you have any questions just ask me or send me a private message.

What I'd like to see is when you plug-in your iPhone it will copy the videos that you made into the

movies folder of iTunes. Kind of like when your iPhone would automatically open iPhoto if you had

taken new pictures. I'd also like to have the option to record in landscape mode or vertical mode.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Apple is working on a huge feature wish-list. When the features are "ready", they will be released. So the question is... what is apple's definition of "ready"?

Consider the following criteria: The quality of individual frames, responsiveness of the on-screen preview, frame rate, power consumption rate, storage constraints, and the experience of offloading the videos once captured.

While it is technically possible for the iPhone to capture video, if the user experience is shoddy, apple would likely withhold the functionality until it is "ready". This is precisely what I think is happening.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There's an iphone video recorder here:

http://www.iphonevideorecorder.com/

It does 15 fps. I don't think people need more than 15 fps from a camera phone as you usually just take quick clips. The video review on youtube showed some quite nice videos from it.

It should have been built-in though. When Apple make software like ichat that does on-the-fly H264 compression for high quality streaming, they could surely have applied that to the iphone to make it good at taking videos.

Perhaps they are just trying to stagger the features so that they have an upgrade path for the iphone 3.

Thats a start I guess but you have to jailbreak your iphone for that app right? And in reality with a 3.5 inch screen playback of just QVGA sized video would look choppy and grainy. I was playing with a Samsung Tocca yesterday and that only has a 2.8 inch screen. It captures in only QVGA 15fps video aswell and it looked crap to say the least, especailly as you can only play it back in landscape mode.

For something with a screen size of iphone you need VGA 30fps at a minimum. All this Apple concentrate on this or they think differently is a load of bull. If they for once took on board the views of the customers and at least gave the basic features which all other phones have then they could have sold so many more by now so its really a mystery as to what they are playing at.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdee4 View Post

Drunknbass is part of monsterandfriends.com . He was working on a video recording app called UShow, but he didn't get along with the people he was working with. So he stopped working with them and that project all together. Now he is working on a new better video recording app. He has not given the name of what it is called yet and don't ask he won't tell. It;s arriving in the app store soon. It should have many features like choosing different sound quality, different video qualities, sending to websites like Youtube and Facebook, and much more. It's probably gonna be 15 fps. You don't really need much more then that. Also some good news is it is supposed to be free. It will be a good app too because he only creates good app's, if it's not good then he won't release it. Don't ask when he'll release it he won't tell. He takes his time with his projects, but makes them well. My guess is it will be in the app store by the end of this month, possibly next month, but it could be longer. If you have any questions just ask me or send me a private message.

Good news its coming to the app store but I hope its at least VGA size.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Apple is working on a huge feature wish-list. When the features are "ready", they will be released. So the question is... what is apple's definition of "ready"?

Consider the following criteria: The quality of individual frames, responsiveness of the on-screen preview, frame rate, power consumption rate, storage constraints, and the experience of offloading the videos once captured.

While it is technically possible for the iPhone to capture video, if the user experience is shoddy, apple would likely withhold the functionality until it is "ready". This is precisely what I think is happening.

They have had over a year whilst iphone has been out how much longer do they need?
  • Reply 19 of 68
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

They have had over a year whilst iphone has been out how much longer do they need?

If the hardware or infrastructure precludes a quality experience, then no amount of software development time will help.

Everyone seems to agree that the hardware is technically capable, or capable enough to add a bullet point to the marketing literature. I for one, am thankful that the iPhone isn't playing the feature list game. If video can only be done at a crappy frame rate, with poor image quality, and then synced/converted to be useful, and sucks the battery dry in no time flat... then it is preferable that apple spend dev resources on features that can actually be done right at this time.

Steve has stated in a couple interviews that Apple waited to get into the mobile handset game until technology had caught up with their vision. In my opinion, this is what is happening with video capture.

Granted, I could be wrong and the software just isn't done yet. Poor management or lack of understanding their customers is definitely not the reason.

Other companies are perfectly content to ship their products with features that nobody uses because the features simply don't work well enough to be useful and/or enjoyable. Half of the features on most smart phones go unused, including web browsers. The iphone however, has purposefully taken the opposite approach. Time will tell, but i'm betting that the iPhone will appear in hindsight as having a superior feature list and upgrade schedule. There isn't a crisis as some seem to be alluding too. Rather, iPhone lust is so high that anything less than perfection is sometimes viewed as failure.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wonderbread View Post

As Carniphage was saying, they probably don't want video recording on the phone because AT&T doesn't want you sending video over the network. This includes emailing it, MMS, uploading it to youtube or uploading it to the web or via something from Apps Store.

I doubt though that upstream bandwidth is very good. Even home broadband providers limit upstream and allocate less of the pipe to upstream data. I'm all for video, but don't expect it until 3rd gen or at least don't expect to be able to send video over the network until then. What about WiFi though, hmmm..

Pretty much every other phone allows video and when you shoot it for a message, it is limited in length and resolution to limit the size of the message. I can send a 15 sec. video message or record for as long as I as I have memory capacity at 640x480.