Sources: Best Buy to sell Apple's iPhone 3G nationwide

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Best Buy Co., Inc. is expected to announce as early as Wednesday plans to begin selling the iPhone 3G next month, making it the first independent U.S. reseller to offer the the coveted touchscreen handset outside of Apple and AT&T.

People familiar with the matter say the electronics retailer has reached an agreement with Cupertino-based Apple that will see the iPhone sold at 970 Best Buy stores in addition to 16 Best Buy Mobile specialty outlets beginning September 7th.

Best Buy already offers Apple's complete line of iPod digital music players at all its stores and recently expanded sales of the company's Mac computer line to more than 600 of its larger footprint locations.

Word of the move comes just one week after Best Buy announced that it has completed upgrading its Best Buy Mobile departments inside each of the company's U.S.-based stores -- a factor which may have been instrumental to the iPhone deal.

Every facility now has a dedicated cellphone section with similarly committed staff who are trained 80 hours each to help customers buy mobile devices. *The focus and reach of the program may have swayed Apple, according to people with knowledge of the situation. *Before, at least some of these phone sales would have been handled by more superficially knowledgeable floor workers.

The program is already credited by Best Buy as having sparked interest in premium, media-savvy devices like the Samsung Instinct, which is one of iPhone 3G's most direct rivals and is only available through Best Buy and Sprint. *Sales of this class of device have grown tenfold year over year at each store that has a Best Buy Mobile presence, according to the retailer.

Appropriately, Carphone Warehouse -- which itself is the exclusive third-party reseller for iPhones in the UK -- has been coordinating the rollout of Best Buy Mobile ever since the effort began in 2006.

Best Buy is known to have been angling for its share of iPhone sales a full year ago with the initial goal of carrying the touchscreen device itself by that fall, capitalizing on a surge in holiday demand. Those people knowledgeable of the earlier plans now tell AppleInsider that the store chain was set aside by Apple after rampant unlocking became a concern, even with purchases from Apple's own stores.

The rejuvenated expansion plans could be essential for Apple, which has seen long lineups at U.S. stores ever since iPhone 3G first went on sale. Best Buy's existence as a third source will expand the number of distribution points just as the holiday shopping season begins and demand increases, potentially giving customers more places to buy the phone while dodging lengthy queues that would otherwise get worse without more points of sale.

Representatives for Best Buy did not return calls requesting comment by press time.

My impression is that Best Buy doesn't know Apple at all and that any advice they give is more or less worthless. The next time you are in Best Buy ask one the sales person if they own or use a Mac. Try it. See what happens.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    There's no need to quote the entire story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elephant View Post

My impression is that Best Buy doesn't know Apple at all and that any advice they give is more or less worthless. The next time you are in Best Buy ask one the sales person if they own or use a Mac. Try it. See what happens.

It's not special to Apple products. People at Best Buy (and same for most other chain stores) generally don't know anything about most of what they are selling. For me, what they can do is do is check stock for an item, a register check-out and process a return. They generally can't do anything other than that.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A lot of guys seem to love knocking BB, but it's not that simple.

If Apple is happy with the results of their new relationship with BB, because they are selling a lot of Macs there, as by accounts they are doing, and if BB is happy with Apple to the point of expanding the number of Apple stores within the premises at a faster rate than was expected, then it means that things are working out well.

I've been to a number of BB's, and have looked at the Apple stores. They are anywhere from not too busy, to very busy. I see sales people helping people, showing them the machines and software, answering questions. I haven't seen any problems.

The few salespeople working in the Apple stores there that I have spoken to have told me that the stores are doing well, and that they were trained, and that some actually work for Apple itself.

As BB likely makes more money from selling Apple products, because of the average selling price at least, there is no way that they will push PC's instead. This store within a store concept that Apple first did with CompUsa costs a lot of money to both Apple and BB. There's no way they will allow that money to be thrown away.

The world has changed. People who used to ride me hard for having Macs are now interested, or have already switched themselves. Because of that, when walking into a BB, you no longer get that "Apple what?" look.

Even when I'm in a PC only computer store buying something, and I'm asked which computer I have, I now get an interested look, or an "ah!", rather than the disdainful look, or disparaging remark that was common until a couple of years ago. I find the same thing to be true at BB.

i agree, this is one of the few actually intelligent posts in this whole thread. I know it may be difficult for people who decide to call others fucking idiots and retarded to actually read, but if they would have they would have noticed in multiple posts that activations (new or upgrade) can be done in Best Buy now. I am planning on getting a new iPhone as soon as my contract expires in October and am very excited to hear that BBY will be carrying them since an AT&T store around me is much more difficult to find. Apple is a very smart company and the partnership with BBY must be working out pretty well for them to expand their Mac sales and now allow them to sell the iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Thanks, Mel. I did not realize that the bottleneck was in the setting up of the account.

I wonder if these problems are there with the at&t stores too? Or if they have full availability. I suspect that I would rather buy from an Apple Store all things being considered--but not if there was a 2 hour wait!

Well, that is far from the only possibility. People could line up in the morning to be sure to get one before the day's allotment is sold out or something like that.

Of course, there are stores that are sold out as well, but I was told by a salesperson at Apple that the stores get re-stocked on a regular basis, whatever that is, as she didn't know the schedules.

I'm not sure that AT&T would be any faster. They supposedly have much lower stock to begin with.

I was also told something by the sales person at Apple that concerned me before.

At first, we were all told that in order to retain the same phone numbers we have from a different carrier, we would need to go to AT&T as Apple couldn't do that. I figured that I might end up giving up our numbers in order to buy the phones at Apple, in case of the case cracking problem, which AT&T isn't handling as well as Apple (the salesperson said that she hadn't known of a single phone being brought back to their store because of that).

But she told me that Apple can transfer the numbers, and that it normally takes no more than 60 minutes. Good news.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Wow, we went for the same reference at the same time.

Problem is, it sounds like you have personal experience with it so I better tread carefully!

Ah, I have a story about that, but it's about Bulgaria.

This is true.

I had hired a fellow that emigrated from there in the mid '90's.

After he was at my company for a few weeks, I asked him how everything was working out.

He said - "Perfect".

I asked what he meant.

He told me this:

"Mel, I walk in street, and want food—I buy food! I needed apartment—I rent apartment! I need car—I buy car! Perfect!
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

Well, you are totally wrong in this, and you obviously have not gone to the Apple store within a BB.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There's no need to quote the entire story.

It's not special to Apple products. People at Best Buy (and same for most other chain stores) generally don't know anything about most of what they are selling. For me, what they can do is do is check stock for an item, a register check-out and process a return. They generally can't do anything other than that.

Unless they are people working in the Apple store.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

UpDate: The part is now locked in Buy Buys' Geek Squad van as the technician went on vacation. But Best Buy already had a back-up plan. About 10 days ago they "over-nighted" a duplicate part that hasn't arrived yet. I am in a major U.S. city. They promise to "overnight" another one. That should leave 19 in inventory. Best buy?

You problem reminded me of another issue I have with them.

Several months ago I rearranged my office furniture. As a result, I needed to find a decent quality extender for the DIN cable to go from my MBP to my Altec Lansing speaker setup (it plugs into the subwoofer on the floor).

Anyway, I went in and asked for the same type of cable connection, as I figured no one would know that they make an extension version (ie female on one end and male on the other). Well, that wasn't the problem at all. I had to go through three different departments before someone knew what I was talking about (keep in mind that this is a very standard cable for computer sound).

But the part that really irked me was that they did actually carry the extension version that I was looking for, but that depending on what department I was in, the pricing was higher or lower FOR THE SAME FRIGGIN' ITEM! Brand, model # etc, all identical. I found it outrageous that the highest price was naturally in the Magnolia Home Theatre section. What a joke!
  • Reply 69 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Several months ago I rearranged my office furniture. As a result, I needed to find a decent quality extender for the DIN cable to go from my MBP to my Altec Lansing speaker setup (it plugs into the subwoofer on the floor).

Anyway, I went in and asked for the same type of cable connection, as I figured no one would know that they make an extension version (ie female on one end and male on the other). Well, that wasn't the problem at all. I had to go through three different departments before someone knew what I was talking about (keep in mind that this is a very standard cable for computer sound).

You lost me, is there some other description for what kind of connector you used? I'm not aware of any DIN connector on a modern Mac, audio or otherwise, nor anything that's in common use for computer audio, consumer or not.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

But the part that really irked me was that they did actually carry the extension version that I was looking for, but that depending on what department I was in, the pricing was higher or lower FOR THE SAME FRIGGIN' ITEM! Brand, model # etc, all identical. I found it outrageous that the highest price was naturally in the Magnolia Home Theatre section. What a joke!

What DIN connector?
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

Well, you are totally wrong in this, and you obviously have not gone to the Apple store within a BB.

No, I don't think so. The last time I was in the local Best Buy was two months ago. At that time, the Apple "store" was one table, repeat, one table, with two iMacs on it and maybe a laptop. Potential customers, I guess that's what they were, were poking at the keyboard with some curiosity but little understanding. There was no Best Buy person at hand. None.

Oh, there were Best Buy people near other brands and in nearby areas. But no Best Buy person at the Apple display to explain it, to show it, to sell it.

In my opinion, the sales people at Best Buy do not want to sell Apple. When I am in Best Buy, which is infrequently, the impression is always that the sales people are more or less ignorant of the products and have no interest in them.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Can somebody confirm if the Puerto Rico store wil carry it????
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

No, I don't think so. The last time I was in the local Best Buy was two months ago. At that time, the Apple "store" was one table, repeat, one table, with two iMacs on it and maybe a laptop. Potential customers, I guess that's what they were, were poking at the keyboard with some curiosity but little understanding. There was no Best Buy person at hand. None.

Oh, there were Best Buy people near other brands and in nearby areas. But no Best Buy person at the Apple display to explain it, to show it, to sell it.

In my opinion, the sales people at Best Buy do not want to sell Apple. When I am in Best Buy, which is infrequently, the impression is always that the sales people are more or less ignorant of the products and have no interest in them.

Well then, that's unusual. I've now been in over a couple of dozen BB's around the East coast, and I haven't seen that kind of situation at any of them.

One thing I don't expect is to see salespeople like flies if one person is poking about. That wouldn't be normal anywhere.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

On AT&T the data is unlimited.

Shows what you know. The data is limited to 5GB under their "unlimited plan". As for your other nonsense, they're milking a relatively small investment in infrastructure. The failing here is there are people like you who just accept it, when the rest of the world benefits from forcing telecommunications companies to actually provide a real service along with their fees. 3G is old news.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Do you currently own a smartphone with unlimited data?

If you're an iPhone owner, you don't.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by earthen View Post

If you're an iPhone owner, you don't.

That has nothing to do with his question. Your post is a non sequitur.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

That has nothing to do with his question. Your post is a non sequitur.

It is a non sequitur only if you haven't been paying attention. Were you to read the entire thread, you might actually understand where I am coming from. Indeed, were you to use a little time to infer, you may find the implication clear without doing so.

Heck, my post above this one would do enough explaining for the average person. So you see my good friend, the only non sequitur here is this post of yours.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Shows what you know. The data is limited to 5GB under their "unlimited plan". As for your other nonsense, they're milking a relatively small investment in infrastructure. The failing here is there are people like you who just accept it, when the rest of the world benefits from forcing telecommunications companies to actually provide a real service along with their fees. 3G is old news.

The 5GB is a soft cap. They do not charge you extra for going over 5GB. AT&T wants to discourage people from consistently going over 5GB. Someone would have to be making extreme use of their phone to consistently use 5GB a month.

You think multiple billions is relatively small investment in infrastructure. Do you understand how much a billion dollars is?

Anyone is free to open their own telecommunication service and compete with cheaper prices. If 3G is old news what is the viable and usable new news?
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

It is a non sequitur only if you haven't been paying attention. Were you to read the entire thread, you might actually understand where I am coming from. Indeed, were you to use a little time to infer, you may find the implication clear without doing so.

Heck, my post above this one would do enough explaining for the average person. So you see my good friend, the only non sequitur here is this post of yours.

I have been here the entire thread as you couldn't tell as you weren't here the entire thread.

And, no, your post isn't related, and tells us nothing as to what you mean. It isn't related to his post at all, even though you may think it is.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

If you think this agreement means that you will be able to buy a iPhone at Best Buy without an AT&T contract, or on another provider, then you are mistaken. If you already have an iPhone, this news means nothing to you. If you want to get an iPhone, this news still means basically nothing to you. In fact, other than Best Buy shareholders, this news means nothing to almost everyone.

If you are an AAPL shareholder, this is nothing but positive.