Apple developers get new builds of Safari 4, Mac OS X 10.5.5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Want don't you like about the Safari Cookie manager?

Hey enough with the politics.

Vote for change Ireland !!
  • Reply 22 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yes but it lost to tracemonkey, coming @ Firefox 3.1

Mozilla did a great leap forward in their Javascript engine. I hope Webkit Catches up as well.

I'm more concerned about getting a stable Firefox. Maybe the problem is with JS stuff, but I don't like having to restart the program every few days because it quits loading images or pages. I've begun to use Safari a little more as a result.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mania View Post

Its so hard to use a browser without Adblock Plus anymore...

Last I checked, there were a few ad blocking add-ons for Safari. Have they all gone away?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Safari 4.0 sounds amazing, in theory. In theory.

In theory communism works. In theory.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    As a web designer, I absolutely love the pace set by Safari.

I never thought I would be wishing the folks over at Mozilla could keep up.

Now all the community needs to do is find the right people in Microsoft, threaten them suitably, and get Internet Explorer's team to kick it up a notch. At least they've made fair improvements since they started on IE7.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Wow, it's been out for a while...I've had mine for at least a month or so...
  • Reply 26 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Hey enough with the politics.

Vote for change Ireland !!

Keep it on topic please Fred
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehogeweg View Post

But the original poster wrote: "I would just like the simple feature..."

Think I can't read? Just thought I would help somebody if they really wanted to do it. Actually it only takes a few seconds.

And for your information, it is probably not a good idea to make sorting simple.

When Microsoft IE first featured sorting with a simple click, it was highly praised. That is until it was realized that once done, there was no way to unsort the list. Since most users prioritize their Bookmarks, sorting them alphabetically soon became a feature that drew more criticism than it was worth.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Think I can't read? Just thought I would help somebody if they really wanted to do it. Actually it only takes a few seconds.

And for your information, it is probably not a good idea to make sorting simple.

When Microsoft IE first featured sorting with a simple click, it was highly praised. That is until it was realized that once done, there was no way to unsort the list. Since most users prioritize their Bookmarks, sorting them alphabetically soon became a feature that drew more criticism than it was worth.

There is a program for Safari that allows you to alphabetize your bookmarks by folder, if you wanted to. The name is SafariSorter.

Another is Bookdog.

SafariSorter is pretty good. I haven't used Bookdog.

SS is free, and Bkdg is shareware.

If this link will work, it's the link to both in VersionTracker.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs...cosx&submit=Go
  • Reply 29 of 70
    mfagomfago Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mania View Post

Its so hard to use a browser without Adblock Plus anymore...

Yes, thank goodness AdBlock is finally available for Safari:

http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/

- Matt
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Give the devs time to check things out over the weekend and if everything is peachy, updates on tuesday?
  • Reply 31 of 70
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Sweet, I thought that the new Safari JS engine is faster then the upcoming FF JS engine?

Quote:

The new version of the popular web browser bakes in a slew of new features for developers, including a new "develop" menu, redesigned Web Inspector, integrated JavaScript debugger, and JavaScript profiler.

this sounds interesting though, redesigned develop menu? I wonder what is the enhancements.

I seriously hope Apple will release some sort of IDE or a feature similar to Interface Builder to use with SproutCore. If Apple does this, expect to see some cool web apps by next year.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    duplicate
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

As a web designer, I absolutely love the pace set by Safari.

I never thought I would be wishing the folks over at Mozilla could keep up.

Now all the community needs to do is find the right people in Microsoft, threaten them suitably, and get Internet Explorer's team to kick it up a notch. At least they've made fair improvements since they started on IE7.

Now that IE8.0 will default to standards-compliant, what we really need to do is convince the idiots over at Microsoft to push out 8.0 on the automatic update system! Well, that or have someone hack the windows update system so it sends a script to every windows computer that deletes old versions of IE and replaces them with Firefox!
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Now that IE8.0 will default to standards-compliant, what we really need to do is convince the idiots over at Microsoft to push out 8.0 on the automatic update system! Well, that or have someone hack the windows update system so it sends a script to every windows computer that deletes old versions of IE and replaces them with Firefox!

I stopped reading what Microsoft to say about the subject about the twentieth time I heard them whining about 'breaking the internet'.

I might sacrifice a goat to them or something if they can finally get the box model down 100% with IE8. That would give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I need to go back and read where the story left off with their nonsense about freezing rendering engines unless web designers specifically opt in/out. I wish they'd just let all the broken sites break...

Anyway, this has been whined about through hundreds of pages on other forums.

If IE died and was replaced with Firefox my job satisfaction would go up considerably.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MySchizoBuddy View Post

no where on that page is squirrelfish or webkit even mentioned. the benchmark is between firefox 3 and tracemonkey,

So back to my original question.

it may be nice if you could even do a google search yourself. But i did it for you anyway.

http://www.masonchang.com/2008/08/tr...irrelfish.html

I am not sure if this trace routine can be implemented in Webkit. Since it promise to bring performance close to native speed.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm glad to see OS X continue to improve. I use it nearly every day, would not like to go back to Windows or Linux.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There is a program for Safari that allows you to alphabetize your bookmarks by folder, if you wanted to. The name is SafariSorter.

Another is Bookdog.

SafariSorter is pretty good. I haven't used Bookdog.

SS is free, and Bkdg is shareware.

If this link will work, it's the link to both in VersionTracker.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs...cosx&submit=Go

Doesn't appear to work with 10.4 or 10.5! ONly good for 10.2 thru 10.3.8
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Fixed the ugly buttons for web clippings.

Apple used to have Aqua buttons on a purple background which looked UGLY!

Now they have fixed this? purple buttons on a purple background.

Interestingly the purple button pulsates as well.

Is this style of recessed button (not necessarily in purple) a sign of things to come from the UI?

• Reply 39 of 70
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Unfortunately many websites are built around IE's "standards" so no matter how genius Safari, Firefox or any of the other browser develop it's still the Microsoft bottleneck in place.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Fixed the ugly buttons for web clippings.

Apple used to have Aqua buttons on a purple background which looked UGLY!

Now they have fixed this? purple buttons on a purple background.

Interestingly the purple button pulsates as well.

Is this style of recessed button (not necessarily in purple) a sign of things to come from the UI?

I just snapped this from the latest version of Safari.

Where did you get yours?