*---Straight from CompUSA inside sources!!!!!! LCD iMac---*

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    ITS A TYPO. Of course it means the current CRT´s. Its quite realistic. And then the PowerMacs can start at 866 without overlapping the iMacs (yes I know: "G3 and G4s are not the same chip yada yada...").

If they make a beatiful and functional iMac this would live up to their hype at least for the normal (as in not-AI-member) customer.

A LCD iMac and both the iMac and Powermac getting into the Ghz range is something rather special. Esp. when the RDF have twisted it around a bit.
  • Reply 62 of 123
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by macrumorzz:

<strong>

About the screen: I think it's not impossible for Apple to use 15" LCDs in the iMac. Note the iPod: the harddisk Apple uses is almost more expensive than the entire iPod if you purchase it. Apple's 15" TFT is currently at 599.-, and I think they can even go down further with the price. That's already the screen and the enclosure, it should be possible to build a 15" TFT iMac for about $US 1200 , maybe the entry modul could still use a CRT.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds pretty good and could happen.
  • Reply 63 of 123
    luissluiss Posts: 7member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

How much cheaper would it be?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure, but it usually adds $100 to the price of a laptop (check out dell.com). Of course, if the size and resolution go up, it's an even larger price difference.
  • Reply 64 of 123
    luissluiss Posts: 7member
    I messed up posting this the first time. Sorry for the repeat...

14.1" LCD Seems reasonable.
    • 14.1" LCD is 0.3" larger that the viewable area on a 15" iMac CRT[

• 14.1" LCD would be cheaper than 15" LCD, helping to keep prices low.

• iBook LCD is a measly 12.1", and it looks great.

• Remember news reports about some company manufacturing 14" LCD for "new apple laptop (son of pismo)"?, maybe it wasn't a laptop. (or the new iMac form factor confused them into thinking it was)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: luiss ]</p>
  • Reply 65 of 123
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Those specs sounds right to me. Granted, if better stuff comes out it'll be great, but for iMacs those specs are fine.

I confirm that Apple is hyping more than faster iMacs...

The LCD imacs will only come in one color: ice white (like the iBooks). If you want something different get a Pro machine.
  • Reply 66 of 123
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>If there are GHz G3's, there would have to be High GHz Apolo's to top them in the pro line. 1.2/1.4/1.6/Maybe 2.0????? That could be the topper. Maybe Apple knows no one in their right mind is expecting a 2GHz G4 Apolo. And that my friends is beyond the rumor sites!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would expect a 2 ghz G5 rather than a 2 ghz G4. This has to do with processor design. The original G4's circuits had been designed for about 400-800 mhz, but they were even too complex to reach this clock speed. The 7-stage-pipeline generation was then meant to run at 600-1000 mhz, but once again they had problems with the pipeline circuits and stuck at about 900 mhz. Now that they can use SOI the silicon finally gets somewhat cooler, and speeds of up to 1200 mhz should now be possible.

There is no way they could have gotten the G4 to 2 ghz (or even at much more than 1.2 ghz) unless they would have made dramatical changes to the pipeline and other circuits of the CPU. This seems very unlikely indeed.

On the other hand I think they have learned their lesson with the G4 and have designed the G5 to work at higher clock rates. A smarter design with 10 stage pipeline, using 0.13 SOI could very well run at 1.5 ghz and above (like the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 ghz that have been reported), and even more. Note that Intels logic circuits are generally more than twice as complex as PowerPC versions, and they're already shipping at 2.2 ghz. A G5 at 2 ghz cannot be excluded, neither even faster ones...
  • Reply 67 of 123
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Radeon 7000 is just the PC name for what we know as the Radeon Mac edition.

It's officially confirmed that ATI will be releasing the Radeon 8500 (which is new and roughly as fast as a GF 3) and the Radeon 7000 (which is what we know already, low end and cheap model) at MWSF. It's more than likely that Apple is going to use the 7000 in the iMacs, only option would be the GF2 MX, but then again that might just be a bit "too powerful" for a consumer machine. You know Apple never get's everything right.

G-news
  • Reply 68 of 123
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Edit: Nevermind, he changed it.

-Paul

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
  • Reply 69 of 123
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Unbelievable. "Those specs are bullshit! And if they're not, they suck! I can't believe we're supposed to be 'blown away' by this!"

Quit whining and take a breath.

1) We have no idea if this is true. Personally, it sounds plausible to me. I'm not going to get out of control over it in either case.

2) The iMac is a simple consumer machine. Those ghz machines (if these specs are on the level at all of course) will be very nice entry-level models for the home user or for office users. The CRT model makes sense as a bone for the education market. I was a little surprised not to see a Superdrive model, but you need a G4 to encode DVD so we won't see one til we see the other.

3) The whole "blown away" hype currently manifesting itself on Apple's website is -- to my mind -- obviously not intended to build anticipation for the iMac. Jobs may have stars in his eyes, but he's not dumb: the stakes are higher now, customers less jaded, and an all-in-one desktop isn't that impressive. If you insist on being disappointed by Apple's new offerings, at least wait 'til the freakin' keynote is over!
  • Reply 70 of 123
    [quote]Originally posted by Nonsuch:

<strong>Unbelievable. "Those specs are bullshit! And if they're not, they suck! I can't believe we're supposed to be 'blown away' by this!"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't know that the iMac is what we're supposed to be blown away by.
  • Reply 71 of 123
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    The specs are in line with what I've expected, except for the LCD size, and if you expect Apple to come up short it also fits. I'd be happy with a 1Ghz ,15" LCD iMac but I'd like more.
  • Reply 72 of 123
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Matsu:A neat new iToy (camera, PDA, or whatever) just ain't gonna cut it. People pay more for macs than for PC's, we want faster hardware than PC's.

Oh, I think lots of people are going to be real disappointed come Monday. The people on this board may want faster Macs, but I don't think that's what makes Steve's heart race. And when it comes to Apple, it seems it's what Steves wants that counts, Apple customers be damned if we don't get it.

I don't think "way beyond the rumor sites" means a quad 2 gig AMD G5. Nor a flat panel imac. I suspect we'll see a new consumer doodad-maybe something that be be mounted on that other revolutionary product, you know, it was gonna be bigger than the pc, Ginger, the $3000 scooter for the "rest of us."

Remeber, this is Apple we're talking about!
  • Reply 73 of 123
    [quote]Originally posted by Nonsuch:

<strong>If you insist on being disappointed by Apple's new offerings, at least wait 'til the freakin' keynote is over!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually this is a good point.

It is amazing how the pattern always goes:

Some or another MW comes up: people get excited and rumors fly.

Some people say, "No way! Never happen!"

Others say, "I can't wait!"

Some offer words of caution, "Let's just wait and see."

Still others get angry at Steve Jobs for no aparant reason.

Apple comes out with some fairly good stuff: but not good enough.

Some people say, "I told you so!"

Others say, "How could be so dumb--again?"

Still others go on about their lives and buy a new Mac.

But this time

Apple itself has posted, right on its home page, that the universe needs to be put on notice.

That is not normal behavoiur.

I really don't expect that there'll be as many angry people this time around.
  • Reply 74 of 123
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

You don't know that the iMac is what we're supposed to be blown away by.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Read my post to the end.
  • Reply 75 of 123
    According to the <a href="http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/radeon_7000/"; target="_blank">ATI Website </a> the Radeon 7000 has 32 mb of DDR memory not 16mb.
  • Reply 76 of 123
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    There is no mixing of CRTs and LCDs, won't happen, also the screen sizes are too screwy.
  • Reply 77 of 123
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]Oh, I think lots of people are going to be real disappointed come Monday. The people on this board may want faster Macs, but I don't think that's what makes Steve's heart race. And when it comes to Apple, it seems it's what Steves wants that counts, Apple customers be damned if we don't get it.

snip

I suspect we'll see a new consumer doodad-maybe<hr></blockquote>

Now that's what I like--a strong vote for intellingent mangement practices.

Consumer market == more sales. And the consumer releases, at least this seems to be their tactic--are always tied to the Mac. Specs don't really matter (that much). Integration and user experience is they key. With that Apple hopes to get more people sucked into Mac world of goodies. Given the absolute commoditzation of PCs this is the only way they can survive and possibly expand.

BTW we would all like to see a G5 sooner or later, but 90% of folks here wetting their pants over a quad G5 wouldn't or couldn't buy one if it wre available today. I suspect, thought that Apple will sell lots of neww iMacs.
  • Reply 78 of 123
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote] BTW we would all like to see a G5 sooner or later, but 90% of folks here wetting their pants over a quad G5 wouldn't or couldn't buy one if it wre available today. I suspect, thought that Apple will sell lots of neww iMacs. <hr></blockquote>

Speak for the others only. I can and will buy a G5 if it comes out on Monday.

[quote] There is no mixing of CRTs and LCDs, won't happen, also the screen sizes are too screwy. <hr></blockquote>

There is if Apple wants to keep the education market.
  • Reply 79 of 123
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>There is no mixing of CRTs and LCDs, won't happen, also the screen sizes are too screwy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see. At first my thoughts were the same as yours but the more I think about it, the more a CRT is better for schools.
  • Reply 80 of 123
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Matsu, I agree Apple's certainly hyping this expo like crazy so any disappointment will be by them overplaying their hand at this point. I'm just trying to dampen my (and possibly others') expectations. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Makes for fewer letdowns. But the specs given, while wonky in places, are within the scope of an iMac revision, a logical progression of the current specs.