Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

Hey folks,

Just wanted to add the data.

My Aluminum iMac rebooted, and then rebooted again automatically mid-start-up. I am assuming that is not a good sign.

Once everything was up and running, everything appears to be running slower.

Suggestions?

-Fitz

The double restart isn't unusual. I always reboot manually after I get to the login page just to be sure.

If you are still concerned you can go to Apple's download page and download the update manually and try it again if you think something is messed up.

PS: Is it possible your Spotlight was re-indexing, hence the slowdown?
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Anyone else having issues with backing up from Time capsule after the update. When backing up it just hangs on the preparing status. Very unusual, has anyone successfully backed up on 10.5.5? I haven't made any major file revisions since the update so I'm not sure why it is taking so long, longer than usual.
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Thanks Soph!

I'll give it a try.

By the way. I rebooted after doing some permissions repairs, and heard a "click click" coming from what I assume is the hard drive? Please tell me that is ok as well.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    Out of curiosity I just tried to initiate a Time Machine backup with my airport drive and it is also just stuck on preparing backup. It has been stuck on that for 5 minutes now.

I have no significant file changes other than the update.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    Quote:

By the way. I rebooted after doing some permissions repairs, and heard a "click click" coming from what I assume is the hard drive? Please tell me that is ok as well.

Go to Disk Utility and check S.M.A.R.T. status.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Go to Disk Utility and check S.M.A.R.T. status.

Thanks again, man.

Here's hoping.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    As someone who is unfamiliar (but would like to change that) with the inner workings of software, why are people suggesting the stand alone update, rather than using software update?

Thanks again folks.

• Reply 48 of 106
    Quote:

Thanks again, man.

Here's hoping.

S.M.A.R.T. status isn't absolute. It's always best to have a backup. Getting an external drive for TimE Machine is well worth the price for piece of mind. 1TB external drives now run for ~$150.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Alright. Applications are moving faster. (And yes, my HDD is "verified - thanks again Solip).

But I, too, am unable to backup with time machine after installing 10.5.5.

Yikes.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    Maybe I'm not pushing my new shiny iMac hard enough, but I've not run into problems with 10.5...did the update this morning and all went well. I've never had a problem with updates.

Anyway, kudos to Apple for continually working to improve OSX. Software dev is not easy, especially not such a large project as an entire OS and it's supporting applications!
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:

Hey folks,

My Aluminum iMac rebooted, and then rebooted again automatically mid-start-up. I am assuming that is not a good sign.

Suggestions?

-Fitz

1. Run Console.app, click on Logs icon to see the side menu and go through the logs to search for errors and failures.

2. Post some results

3. Run Activity Monitor.app and see how your resources are be allocated.

4. Post some results

• Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

I wonder if at long last they have Permissions Repair actually fixed so that you don't have to wait around

Nope. Takes as long as ever, including the extra-long wait at "20%".
  • Reply 53 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

Out of curiosity I just tried to initiate a Time Machine backup with my airport drive and it is also just stuck on preparing backup. It has been stuck on that for 5 minutes now.

I have no significant file changes other than the update.

Ok, update, it did work it just took a half an hour, for some reason it had 1.5 GB of changes since my last backup before the update! I made no major changes beside the update, could the update have made so many mods on my system, it was only 136mb. This explains why it took so long to prepare...hopefully subsequent backups don't take so long!
  • Reply 54 of 106
    My mail alerts (sound) stopped working after the upgrade to Leopard, I am still waiting for one of these updates to fix it. Anyone else have the same issue?
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphone79 View Post

Ok, update, it did work it just took a half an hour, for some reason it had 1.5 GB of changes since my last backup before the update! I made no major changes beside the update, could the update have made so many mods on my system, it was only 136mb. This explains why it took so long to prepare...hopefully subsequent backups don't take so long!

Exactly the same situation for me. 1.5GB update to my backup as well.

still it took like an hour to prepare.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

Exactly the same situation for me. 1.5GB update to my backup as well.

still it took like an hour to prepare.

Ok, mine has finally done it as well. Took 10 minutes to prepare a 1.2G backup.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Hey folks,

Suggestions?

-Fitz

I have a late 2007 iMac also, I'm not noticing that. Did you back up with Time Machine before updating?
  • Reply 58 of 106
    My MBP is updated and backing up just fine.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I guess I'm used to the Outlook product. This should be a preference setting where you can decide the default behavior of attaching photos. I don't find that method a very intuitive process.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    I'm reinstalling Mac OS 10.5.2 that came with my macbook, since the update buggered a few things up - the main thing being that my Mac does not detect any external displays.