Next-gen MacBook, MacBook Pro spotted in matching outfits

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Assuming this is correct why not combine the MB and MBP into one product line with 15/17 inch versions configured with either a 'consumer' or 'pro' spec, with a 13 inch MBA and 10 inch Mac Tablet for those who need ultra portability.

I think just adding a 15 inch consumer model is good enough. A low power integrated graphics don't make much sense on a 17 inch display. Also, the Macbook Air isn't ready to be the consumer model of choice yet. We need really cheap SSD's and a new physical media standard for retail software distribution first; USB flash drives might be a good idea, or perhaps SD cards or compact flash. Firewire 800/3200 across the board would be nice too. Firewire 400 is dated and keeping it around just forces more devices to support it instead of the newer specs. Also, 2GB of RAM minimum for the base Macbook this time; no combo drive silliness either. Perhaps blueray-ROM option on the pros too, although it will likely need to be plugged in while using it.

Oh, and as for the 10 inch tablet, doubt they will be marketed as an ultra portable. You just can't enter larger amounts of text with multitouch quickly. A multitouch tablet will be more successful marketed as a communications and multimedia device like the iPhone. Perhaps a WiMax enabled one in the future around 8 inches or so.
  • Reply 22 of 162
    I find these rumors questionable.

Removing the FireWire 400 port, leaving only ONE FireWire 800 port makes no sense. I use my FW800 port all the time for a LaCie 2big Triple RAID (TIme Machine) and daisy-chained to several other FW800 drives.

The FireWire 400 port I use quite often... for a small external drive, a CF card reader, Nikon slide scanner and a few other FireWire devices.... even my old iSight connected with a long FW cable.

This would be okay if they converted the FW 400 to FW 800. Or better yet, added FireWire 800/3200 ports. Then the addition of eSATA would be moot, until somebody releases FW 3200 devices, that is. Add one to the MacBook Air, too.

Bad idea removing the full-sized DVI port! Now I carry a DVI to VGA adaptor. But with mini-DVI, I'd be forced to carry TWO adaptors. I already carry too much crap with my MBP. Bad idea, Apple.

Mini USB is a dopey idea, too. That means you'd need to carry a USB2 hub.

That's something that an innovator like Dell would think of. While you're at it, make the FireWire ports of the unpowered type, then I can carry around a bunch of powerbricks, too. Oh, great.
  • Reply 23 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Next Tuesday????

They would have already sent out the invitations if they plan to make an event for this update next Tuesday, unless they just want to make a press release over their website like they did with the notebook refresh this February. It looks highly unlikely though IMO.
  • Reply 24 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I would be fine with that, if Apple would ever adopt a docking connector. Can anyone explain why Apple doesn't add this -- at least to the MacBook Pro? Is the obsession with 'thinness' responsible?

Edit: Should have said 'Docking station port'

There are several reason why Apple may note want a docking station. The number of consumers who want them is too low for them to bother designing a notebook around them (remember that Apple's focus has been on the retail, not corporate), and it would take away from the aestetics to have a huge port access slot with a flimsy trap door to connect to the docking station. There are other possibilities for docking that could be a single cable plugged in, but the cost would seem prohibitive to how many people would utilize it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I think they ought to replace the USB-A ports with Mini-USB ports. Two FW800/S3200 ports would also be nice.

The 2 FW8003200 ports would be nice, and include a simple, compact FW800-to-FW400 adapter that will not be cumbersome on the my FW400 cables.

As for USB, that doesn't seem like the freindliest alternative, especially when USB is also pretty small in comparison to other port sizes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't care so much which connector is used, but I would hate to lose support for dual-DVI. A MacBook Pro should be able to drive a 2560x1600 monitor. So should the MacBook and MacBook Air in my opinion.

They won't move to mini-DVI, but I think they will move away from DL-DVI, and go with DisplayLink. It's the next move up from DVI, not HDMI. It's also very slim so it'll work with a tapered notebook, even the MBA. This would also mean that new ACDs are on their way, too, if they did that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Assuming this is correct why not combine the MB and MBP into one product line with 15/17 inch versions configured with either a 'consumer' or 'pro' spec, with a 13 inch MBA and 10 inch Mac Tablet for those who need ultra portability.

That would completely get rid of the most popular Mac in favour of forcing consumers to get a 15" model which would cost more, or having to getting the even more costly niche product that is the 13" MBA. I see no reason for Apple to consolidate their line into more unfriendly products. With their growing success, I see Apple needing to offer more variety in the CPU and other specs with their most popular item, the MB.
  • Reply 25 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

on a macbook, whatever, do your thing, but that miniDVI bullshit and lack of FW400 support is really fucking annoying. I want MORE ports, not less, for god's sake!

Has Apple really forgotten about their Pro customers? It is starting to look as though they are. As a pro user I need these ports and if anything MORE of them. Loss of FW400 is going to be huge for a lot of people. Now we'll have to buy 400 to 800 cables for everything. Apple better not do something retarded and only give us a single FW input. I've been apple for nine wonderful years and I would really hate to have to jump ship, but I have to have a portable with at LEAST two FW ports and my gear will not work properly through hubs. I'm also running an external display and if new machines are limited to miniDVI resolution.... oh dear god no. If Apple starts removing functionality for aesthetics then they have failed their pro users.

I reeeeeally hope these are false rumors.
  • Reply 26 of 162
    any chance of a 3ghz plus for macbook pro? with 19 hours of battery life mabye i am dreaming
  • Reply 27 of 162
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    If they remove the current FW400 port, that must mean that they are going to change the design of the current Cinema Displays as well...
  • Reply 28 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

any chance of a 3ghz plus for macbook pro? with 19 hours of battery life mabye i am dreaming

I'll settle for Quad-Core and a Gig of VRAM, too.
  • Reply 29 of 162
    13" MacBook - 2.40 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160GB HD, WUSB

15" MacBook - 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160GB HD, WUSB

17" MacBook - 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200GB HD, WUSB

13" MacBook Pro - 2.40 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200GB HD, NVIDIA 256, WUSB

15" MacBook Pro - 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200GB HD, NVIDIA 512, WUSB

17" MacBook Pro - 2.80 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 250GB HD, NVIDIA 512, WUSB

My best guess.
  • Reply 30 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

Has Apple really forgotten about their Pro customers? It is starting to look as though they are.

I can't think of any situation that would make one think that Apple would remove the ability for their 30" ACD to be run by a MBP. The MB has the mini-DVI, which is what the article may be talking about, or it may get the Micro-DVI of the MBA. This does not imply and goes against all logic that Apple would make their ACDs only work with Mac Pros.

If the rumour mongers were talking about the MBP, what they may have seen is what looked like Micro-DVI, but was actually DisplayPort, which is more than capable of running a DL-DVI signal and is the next generation of digital video ports.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

Only in the X9100 (6M L2 cache 3.06 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm), but you need a lot extra juice for that minor speed bump.
  • Reply 31 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

If they remove the current FW400 port, that must mean that they are going to change the design of the current Cinema Displays as well...

True. And if they change the design of the current Cinema Displays, they may change the design of the current Mac Pro as well.
  • Reply 32 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

Has Apple really forgotten about their Pro customers? It is starting to look as though they are. As a pro user I need these ports and if anything MORE of them. Loss of FW400 is going to be huge for a lot of people. Now we'll have to buy 400 to 800 cables for everything. Apple better not do something retarded and only give us a single FW input. I've been apple for nine wonderful years and I would really hate to have to jump ship, but I have to have a portable with at LEAST two FW ports and my gear will not work properly through hubs. I'm also running an external display and if new machines are limited to miniDVI resolution.... oh dear god no. If Apple starts removing functionality for aesthetics then they have failed their pro users.

I reeeeeally hope these are false rumors.

What are you going to switch to after nine years? Vista ?!@#$%^&*

Idle threats.

Pros love to bitch and moan but really you spend $5000 on a camera and can't spend $20 bucks on a FireWire 800 to 400 cable. Most Pros already cart around crates full of every imaginable cable, dongle and adapter known to man.
  • Reply 33 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

True. And if they change the design of the current Cinema Displays, they may change the design of the current Mac Pro as well.

The Mac Pros would really only need a different GPU that supports the new video out. I'm sure that Apple will keep FW400 on the Mac Pros, even if they took it off the notebooks, which I don't think they will.
  • Reply 34 of 162
    Quote:

Personally, I think would love to see HDMI added to the MacBooks.
  • Reply 35 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would completely get rid of the most popular Mac in favour of forcing consumers to get a 15" model which would cost more, or having to getting the even more costly niche product that is the 13" MBA. I see no reason for Apple to consolidate their line into more unfriendly products. With their growing success, I see Apple needing to offer more variety in the CPU and other specs with their most popular item, the MB.

I really don't see Apple messing with their laptop lines too much. As laptops begin to regularly outsell desktop machines, it would be self-defeating for Apple to kill off the real PRO features of the MBP that set it far apart from the MacBook line.

The split between MacBook and the MacBook Pro lines is pretty good. The current set of professional features... FW800, ExpressCard, full-DVI, real video card, matte screen... sets the standard and squarely sets the MBP apart from the vanilla MB.

The MB Air seems to inhabit it's own rarefied space (it STILL needs a FireWire port!!!!).

With Intel's recently released mobile Quad-Core processors, Apple could set some seriously meaty differentiation and performance distance between the MacBook Pro and non! Hell, I'd even pop for a 17" MBP (plus the 1900 x whatever screen!) if that was the only box a quad-core would fit.
  • Reply 36 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

13" MacBook - 2.40 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160GB HD, WUSB

15" MacBook - 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160GB HD, WUSB

17" MacBook - 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200GB HD, WUSB

13" MacBook Pro - 2.40 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200GB HD, NVIDIA 256, WUSB

15" MacBook Pro - 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200GB HD, NVIDIA 512, WUSB

17" MacBook Pro - 2.80 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 250GB HD, NVIDIA 512, WUSB

My best guess.

WUSB would be sweet! i've been waiting anxiously for it to make it in to real use.
  • Reply 37 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Mac Pros would really only need a different GPU that supports the new video out. I'm sure that Apple will keep FW400 on the Mac Pros, even if they took it off the notebooks, which I don't think they will.

I just mean from an aesthetic point of view. Since the Cinema Display and Mac Pro are designed to compliment each other, a redesign of one would likely mean a redesign of the other.. I agree the Mac Pro will retain FW400 for some time, even if it were redesigned.
  • Reply 38 of 162
    And surely the new entry level Macbook won't still ship with just a combo drive?

Sticking with a combo drive is just barmy and reflects badly on Apple...even if it is the entry level product.

Get with the times Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 162
    Quote:

I just mean from an aesthetic point of view. Since the Cinema Display and Mac Pro are designed to compliment each other, a redesign of one would likely mean a redesign of the other.. I agree the Mac Pro will retain FW400 for some time, even if it were redesigned.

I really like the look for both the ACDs and Mac Pro. I can't really see many ways that they could make them look 'nicer'. A thinning of the ACD frame all around, and perhaps a tapering would be nice. As well as a higher ppi, built-in IR receiver and built-in iSIght, but those are functional. I don't think they can make them too tapered and still match the Mac Pro, but how many of the Mac Pros do they sell in comparison to the notebook line with ACDs? How could they change the Mac Pro to maintain the volume while going with the current tapering that Apple loves these days?
  • Reply 40 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I really hope they go for a dock concept soon. All of the little dongles drive me crazy. The only ports that go unused on my laptop today are Firewire and the headphone/mic jacks. A port replicator would be the only way I could make the computer work for me....

I don't know why people always go on about a docking station for Mac laptops. does anyone outside of IBM *ever* use a docking station?

In my experience it's a concept that has it's roots in the 1990's and has now virtually died out. I work at a major University and get to see hundreds of computer set-ups in hundreds of offices over the last 20 years or so. I have rarely seen anyone use a docking station and it was always some died-in-the-wool conservative using a ThinkPad and MS Windows when I did see one.

I have also never had a Mac user, *ever* turn to me when consulting about their computer needs and say that they wished they had a docking port or a docking station. Unless I am completely misunderstanding what you are talking about, I just don't see how any appreciable group of Mac users actually want this.

As for the DVi port, if you plug it into your monitor, then use the dongle that comes with the machine, big deal. The other major use of the port, presentations, are almost always hooking up to a projector that typically only offers VGA anyway, so dongles are already essential for that as it is.