WebKit becomes first browser engine to fully pass Acid3 test

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Maciej Stachowiak of the WebKit team has announced that the browser engine behind Safari is the first to fully pass the Acid3 test, including the test's condition of smooth animation rendering.

Acid3 is a test page from the Web Standards Project that scores how well a rendering engine follows defined web standards, particularly DOM and JavaScript. The test provided a metric for standards compliance that has resulted in rapid advancement among various rendering engines as each works to earn the top score.

In March, both Safari's WebKit and Opera's Presto announced earning a 100% score in developer builds of their browser. In addition to the numbered score, the test also requires the browser render a test page with pixel perfect accuracy using its default settings and that it render a smooth test animation.

Today, the development build of WebKit passed that last hurdle, which Stachowiak reported was due to "recent speedups in JavaScript, DOM and rendering."

Actual shipping builds of the world's various web browsers haven't yet reached 100%. According to figures in Wikipedia, the latest Safari 3.1.2 has a score of 75, while Firefox 3.0.2 has reached 71, Opera 9.52 has reached 84, and Internet Explorer 7 is at 14.

In internal builds, the Safari 4.0 Developer Preview has reached 100, while the latest build of Firefox Gecko engine has reached 87, the latest build of Opera earns 99, Google's new Chrome beta has reached 79, and the Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 scores 21.

Among mobile browsers, the shipping version of Safari in iPhone 2.1 reaches 74, while the Netfront browser hits 11, Opera Mobile reaches 2, Opera Mini has hit 79. Pocket Internet Explorer can't run the test due to a lack of JavaScript support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    blah blah blah blah blah.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Internet Explorer 7 is at 14.

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 scores 21.

Pocket Internet Explorer can't run the test due to a lack of JavaScript support.

shows how good Microsoft really is.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    How erudite of you, aruiz0255! (No doubt your comment was written on a PC using IE; but, then again, you DO know how to use copy and paste, huh?)
  • Reply 4 of 34
    http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...the-acid3-test

Right, so like March 2quarter ago doesn't really matter.....

So like 100/100 isn't like a perfect score, and doing it in record time is like so yesterday.

Nice try apple. sorry but too late once again.

Oh hows that java working on your iphone.... oh that's right you can't figure out how to support that.... lazy bastards!!!!!!

=TheJava!!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Maciej Stachowiak of the WebKit team has announced that the browser engine behind Safari is the first to fully pass the Acid3 test, including the test's condition of smooth animation rendering.

Acid3 is a test page from the Web Standards Project that scores how well a rendering engine follows defined web standards, particularly DOM and JavaScript. The test provided a metric for standards compliance that has resulted in rapid advancement among various rendering engines as each works to earn the top score.

In March, both Safari's WebKit and Opera's Presto announced earning a 100% score in developer builds of their browser. In addition to the numbered score, the test also requires the browser render a test page with pixel perfect accuracy using its default settings and that it render a smooth test animation.

Today, the development build of WebKit passed that last hurdle, which Stachowiak reported was due to "recent speedups in JavaScript, DOM and rendering."

Actual shipping builds of the world's various web browsers haven't yet reached 100%. According to figures in Wikipedia, the latest Safari 3.1.2 has a score of 75, while Firefox 3.0.2 has reached 71, Opera 9.52 has reached 84, and Internet Explorer 7 is at 14.

In internal builds, the Safari 4.0 Developer Preview has reached 100, while the latest build of Firefox Gecko engine has reached 87, the latest build of Opera earns 99, Google's new Chrome beta has reached 79, and the Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 scores 21.

Among mobile browsers, the shipping version of Safari in iPhone 2.1 reaches 74, while the Netfront browser hits 11, Opera Mobile reaches 2, Opera Mini has hit 79. Pocket Internet Explorer can't run the test due to a lack of JavaScript support.

Then why does my iPhone crash everytime I use Safari to access a Java intensive website?

I thought Steve said Java was a dead platform? Seems to be putting a lot of effort into a dead platmorm.

Link to 2007 article. http://www.informit.com/discussion/i...4-6ff0b92c1ee1

Now how about making up with Adobe and giving us Flash on the iPhone.

Google is catching up!
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sfitzjava View Post

So like 100/100 isn't like a perfect score, and doing it in record time is like so yesterday.

Nice try apple. sorry but too late once again. ...

Wrong!

Actually, Safari hit 100/100 just *before* the Opera event you quote.

This latest milestone is 100/100 with the smooth animation on top. Of course if you read the article and knew anything about the race to beat Acid 3, you might know that.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

100/100 is a perfect score, but just getting a perfect score does not pass the test. You have to get a perfect score and do it smoothly. This was what the test creators said, otherwise you don't pass.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

How erudite of you, aruiz0255! (No doubt your comment was written on a PC using IE; but, then again, you DO know how to use copy and paste, huh?)

pc until oct.14 hopefully..firefox.

troll'd.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    For what it worths, I downloaded Safari beta 4 (build 5526.11.2) on 12 aug 2008, and it passes Acid3 with a perfect score and smooth animation...

Cheers,

-P.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Who cares with who gets 100 in Acid3 first? The point is, WebKit and Presto is fully standard compliant.

Oh yea, erm...when people mention the major browsers, people only mention, IE, Firefox and Safari. Its a lil bit sad that eventhough Opera Presto passed Acid3 test with flying colors, no one really talk about it.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Who cares with who gets 100 in Acid3 first? The point is, WebKit and Presto is fully standard compliant.

It's a test of the user experience. Browsers have a lot of work to do with images, animations and Javascript, the Acid test demonstrates how well they can do that work.

Quote:

Oh yea, erm...when people mention the major browsers, people only mention, IE, Firefox and Safari. Its a lil bit sad that eventhough Opera Presto passed Acid3 test with flying colors, no one really talk about it.

I agree, I used to love Opera and still do. They just don't seem to do enough to publicise it. It's a shame really, I only stopped using it because of problems using some secure sites like PayPal, otherwise I would replace Firefox with it.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Nice try apple. sorry but too late once again.

Oh hows that java working on your iphone.... oh that's right you can't figure out how to support that.... lazy bastards!!!!!!

=TheJava!!

Too many trolls....
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Internet Explorer 7 is at 14.

just, just

WOW

the WOW starts, now?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    ...If the folks in Redmond actually get on the web to see their browser dead last, but I think that statistic illustrates the very problem. They can't stand to sit through a image-intensive / javascript session either.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

How the heck did you know?!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Actually, which Safari? Only on mac, right? I re-read the article and never said if it was 100% on mac or on PC or both? I assumed it's for mac only?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    ACID3 tests a lot of SVG. People often see Acid as 'the thing that makes a browser good/perfect' but in fact it just tests a small part of mostly rendering aspects of the browser.

....Which doesnt mean it's not a good thing. I'm glad there are tests like these.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Here's a comparison of browsers and Acid3.

http://www.anomalousanomaly.com/2008/03/06/acid-3/
  • Reply 19 of 34
    I love Opera, and used it back in my PC days, but they really need to do something about that interface.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Not yet.

/Adrian