Data suggests Apple has cruised past 10 million iPhone goal

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

Oct 14 is out. Whatever the "brick" is, it will disappoint by what it isn't. And remember that the Cube was introduced in the teeth of a recession (enough said about That).

Quarterly results are irrelevant at this point. Everyone KNOWS that they will be spectacular, so if they are, so what; and if they aren't, guess what. What's going on with the rest of the PC world is irrelevant.

Next quarterly results are the best bet, but with what will probably be happening at that time, I suspect that it will take several more quarters of Significantly Outperforming the tech sector before APPL gets its luster back. Just remember, there is always the "OK, so this quarter was good, but just wait for the next one, blah, blah, blah."

I'm presuming oct14th will bring new macbooks, which will be hugely significant if so.

I also believe a significant drop in the share price can be attributed to overly negative spin directed at Apple. Much of this was thanks to what was said at apples last quarterly results, I think some of this can be undone quite quickly by unspinably positive results, which like you, I believe is more likely after xmas as there is a good chance that right now macbook sales have fallen in anticipation for the newuns. Which the media will highlight, disregarding all the positive data.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Crazy market! Even my blue chips are down quite a bit in re-market.

I've got a rather large buy order for GE right now. It's insanely underpriced.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've got a rather large buy order for GE right now. It's insanely underpriced.

I've heard that GE may go as low as $5-10 share before bottoming out.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

Oct 14 is out. Whatever the "brick" is, it will disappoint by what it isn't. And remember that the Cube was introduced in the teeth of a recession (enough said about That).

While it may have showed up during a recession, there were plenty of other reasons for its failure. I doubt the cube would have sold well even in the best economic times, it was just an awful product strategy.

And while the people on message boards always whine with disappointment at just about every Apple product launch, the only thing that matters is how well the product sells. Worst case is usually AAPL dips at the announcement and then bounces back quickly.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the weeks leading up to the 3G launch, iPhone OS share was rather consistent hovering at 16 bps.

Does that bps stand for "basis points"?

The first time an uncommon abbreviation is used in an article, please spell it out.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Wow.

Apple ended up 1.4% on a bloodbath day. Not bad.....
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevenjklein View Post

Does that bps stand for "basis points"?

The first time an uncommon abbreviation is used in an article, please spell it out.

It does. They didn't. They should.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow.

Apple ended up 1.4% on a bloodbath day. Not bad.....

It lost that gain immediately in after hours, but that means it's a break even day.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In surveys the App Store and $200 price proved more popular reasons to buy the phone over 3G.

That's what I luv about you Teno... you never, ever get it. It's cute.

• Reply 49 of 67
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

That's what I luv about you Teno... you never, ever get it. It's cute.

I'm just sharing information. What is it I don't get?
  • Reply 50 of 67
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    So, will $90 AAPL (or $80 AAPL) be back again soon, or are people catching on now? They should be sitting on about $22B of cash now, or about a quarter of their market capitalization.

But people still seem to be panicking in the streets. I'd like a chance to buy some more at $85...
  • Reply 51 of 67
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I believe....

AAPL is experiencing a panic driven fire-sale like much of the market. Unfortunately, (if my understanding of economics is correct) such panic tends to generate a self fulfilling prophesy.

AAPL is being priced based on where they are anticipated to be next Spring or Summer. Everyone who is losing their shirts now won't have any $$$ to spend on fancy Apple gear, and Apple, the company, will tank - so says the analysts - so their stock is depressed.

Regardless of what AAPL reports in their quarterly earnings, "analysts" and the "media" will report doom and gloom because bad news sells. And bashing AAPL is an honored tradition.

At my church Sunday, we did a kids' show for 4yr olds to 5th graders. The church is planning to give away some iTunes gift certificates for a contest the kids will be doing over the next month. At one point, the emcee asked the kids to raise their hand if they own an iPod. Of the 2-300 kids there, the vast majority raised their hands! Now, one could argue that "iPod" has become generic for "digital music player", but I suspect most of them own real iPods. To me, all those kids represent a market that is going to "demand" a new iPod every couple of years. And are likely to stay Apple customers as long as Apple can maintain their ease of use and "coolness".

But don't listen to me. I bought AAPL on margin at above $155/share. Ouch!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So, will $90 AAPL (or $80 AAPL) be back again soon, or are people catching on now? They should be sitting on about $22B of cash now, or about a quarter of their market capitalization.

But people still seem to be panicking in the streets. I'd like a chance to buy some more at $85...

Instead of buying stock, I bought $100 calls for November and April. I am convinced that earnings will be good October 21st, and my break even point is around $115/share now.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

But don't listen to me. I bought AAPL on margin at above $155/share. Ouch!

On margin? Good to know the lessons of history are well-heeded.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

...The markets are acting extremely irrational these days. They fear that a deep recession will plunge Apple's core market, that people in a recession won't buy Apple's products. They take Apple as one of the most fragile companies out there if there's a recession, and people now are very weary of where they are going to put money. It's not that there is a lot of "sell", but I bet that there is too little of "buy"...

Yes, interesting points. The most frustrating thing I encounter is not the share price, as I don't own any stocks, but my involvement as a Mac reseller/ Apple community member, etc. etc.

People will *always*, *always*, around the world, freak out about the sales of Macs. Before this, it was, oh it's too expensive, it's too niche... Now it's oh, people aren't going to buy, Apple is teh d00med! etc. etc.

Those that understand the brand and history though, will tell those involved in any Mac-related business, to just shut the f*k up and focus on your Mac, iPhone, iPod or Mac-related business.

Focus on the core Mac business and you will survive this. Apple Premium Resellers (for those not in the USA) are the most notorious on freaking out about the Mac losing its popularity and self-sabotage their businesses.

I don't have the liquidity or hedge to buy AAPL but I'd say one would look at the low $90s and look to sell on the hype around $120 in a few weeks/ months, or longer term hold for 6 months to 1 year. But hey, I'm a finance n00b...
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. Apple ended up 1.4% on a bloodbath day. Not bad.....

Yup, because after the panicking, people start to look back at the brand and the fundamentals, I suppose, then realise it is always underpriced after rampant Tech stock selloffs.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On margin? Good to know the lessons of history are well-heeded.

Yeah... I leveraged my cat and pet turtle to buy my house. I'm still ahead $200,000! On paper...
  • Reply 57 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm just sharing information. What is it I don't get?

I'll help ya out... you cite the App Store as one of the two big reasons why iPhone sales shot up (even though most would put 3G on that list as well, and Apple's commercials definitely have the 3G front-and-center).

The App Store came out almost exactly the same time as 3G. Total coincidence? Or does one kinda enable the other? Hmm...

Of course, you're free to claim that "everyone dloads all their apps on WiFi anyway!". It's a ridiculous claim, but, you're Teno after all, and you're free to make it.

In any case, if you wanna be in denial about 3G 'til the day you die, that's your call (literally). It's not my job to convince you of the stunningly obvious anymore. Ta-ta.

• Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I'll help ya out... you cite the App Store as one of the two big reasons why iPhone sales shot up (even though most would put 3G on that list as well, and Apple's commercials definitely have the 3G front-and-center).

The App Store came out almost exactly the same time as 3G. Total coincidence? Or does one kinda enable the other? Hmm...

Of course, you're free to claim that "everyone dloads all their apps on WiFi anyway!". It's a ridiculous claim, but, you're Teno after all, and you're free to make it.

In any case, if you wanna be in denial about 3G 'til the day you die, that's your call (literally). It's not my job to convince you of things that most other ppl know already. Ta-ta.

You can DL apps over EDGE, too. I tend to keep mine of EDGE all the time because it's adequate for browsing and the battery savings are too considerable for me to turn on 3F most of the time.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

You can DL apps over EDGE, too. I tend to keep mine of EDGE all the time because it's adequate for browsing and the battery savings are too considerable for me to turn on 3F most of the time.

Let's not forget that the app store can be accessed on the computer too. In fact, that was the method suggested earlier on because supposedly over the cell network app store installations were going corrupt on occasion.

The only thing TenoBell needs to do is point a link to the survey that corroborates what he says. I think I remember what he was referring to, but I haven't found it yet.

This story doesn't break down specific features that clinched the new model purchase, but lower price was apparently only a factor for 9% of buyers surveyed:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._thus_far.html
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

It saves a hella lot of battery life. But I always felt like I was driving a Porsche at 2nd gear all the time.