New photo may reveal more of Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrenscerri View Post

The two cases, the one from Apple.pro and from the Chinese forum do not match. The one from Apple.pro has tapered edges. Does the spy photo has tapered edges? No!

Don't forget that there is the MacBook and MacBook Pro, they might be photos of different cases because they are both about due for a design freshening. The general design theme of the current cases date back about six years now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Couldn't they trim a few millimetres off the display assembly?

They could, but I wonder how stiff that would be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

With LED and, God forbid, OLED displays, they very well could!

I think those display technologies are still expensive in sizes usable for computers. Have you heard of the ~$1800 11" OLED TV?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Why would you have a HDMI port when you can support HDCP over DVI (and use a converter cable) and the computer industry is moving toward DisplayPort?

Possible reasons: HDMI is a production standard and uses a reasonably small connector, and is a lot more readily available than a mini-DVI connector. I don't remember seeing DisplayPort on monitors or video cards yet.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    What's up with the Apple logo on the front?

Edit: Ah... they haven't put the plastic cover on yet. Never mind....
  • Reply 23 of 91
    jruijrui Posts: 24member
    I hope this helps

The image was inserted in Solidworks and I've created a Plane aligned with the foto perceptive.

This is a approximated measure in millimeters

By imm22 at 2008-10-08

Any one won't more measures?
  • Reply 24 of 91
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Looking at the ports, from right to left, I see:

Audio out, Audio in, Mini DVI, USB, another USB (yes, two USB ports side by side, like on the MacBooks), Ethernet, MagSafe port

If Apple is moving all the ports to the left side, what does that mean for the right side? Will there simply be nothing on the right side?

Doubt it. I think they're moving the slot-loading SuperDrive to the right side, just like the MacBooks. That...or we're looking at aluminum MacBooks (which doesn't seem realistic to me because the Pros are much more overdue for a facelift, not to mention the MacBook's MagSafe port is much smaller than the MacBook Pro's).
  • Reply 25 of 91
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik. View Post

do you think we are going to see 15" Macbooks?

Not unless they are going in a complete opposite direction as to what the consumer wants.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Apple cannot make the Macbook Pro much thinner than an inch, not if they intend to keep using high-end mobile processors and discrete GPUs. It's just not possible to cool those things in a thinner enclosure.

Instead, they're going to use tricks like tapered edges to make it look thinner, and if we assume both of those photos are real, they certainly could go together.

Well I only said an inch because I was reaching for "ridiculously thick" and that's the first measurement that came to mind. My point was only that the top in the first pic and the bottom in the second couldn't really be from the same machine unless it was ridiculously thick and ugly.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Couldn't they trim a few millimetres off the display assembly?

/Adrian

Sure, they could. Especially with the more advanced displays that are going to be available in the future, like OLED. That's why I said "much thinner than an inch." But those are extremely impractical at this time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well I only said an inch because I was reaching for "ridiculously thick" and that's the first measurement that came to mind. My point was only that the top in the first pic and the bottom in the second couldn't really be from the same machine unless it was ridiculously thick and ugly.

The current Macbook Pro is, according to Apple, exactly 1.0 inch thick. That's with the lid closed, of course. Ridiculous?
  • Reply 28 of 91
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Not necessarily thinner than the existing MBPros - the photo on the top is of the casing, and you can see through to the bottom, which suggests that there will be a piece on the bottom which may add more depth. We won't know until we see the whole thing.

I'm really disappointed that they seem to be going to the Macbook/Air keyboard. Although it looks a lot better than the existing Macbook pro keyboard, I find it pretty cheap feeling and less tactile in comparison.

The MacBook style keyboard (which I use) is really quite good, just a bit different. I much prefer it to the Pro style keyboard and I've used both for years.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Possible reasons: HDMI is a production standard and uses a reasonably small connector, and is a lot more readily available than a mini-DVI connector. I don't remember seeing DisplayPort on monitors or video cards yet.

DisplayPort has a lot of support amongst computer manufacturers. It provides a flexible, high speed, and expandable standard which supports external and internal monitors to very high resolutions. HDMI doesn't. Just because it's used in millions of TVs doesn't mean anything to the computer industry.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Looks as real as those fuzzy nano photos, and I thought they were fake until I they weren't.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

What about the whole 'The Brick is a way of making computers out of a single block of aluminium' thing? Surely the bottom of the case would be there if that was the case...

Without an opening, how would they attach the screen or put the internal components inside the laptop? Would the logic board slide in on a tray? Would the display module just bolt on without having to take the laptop apart?
  • Reply 32 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have many issues with this image.
    1) Why would Apple move to mini-DVI when DisplayPort is the next standard?

2) SInce when does Apple put the video out up front instead of toward the back?

3) That port isnt' tall enough to be mini-DVI.

4) The port farthest back looks, to me, like it's DL-DVI size, not the size of a MagSafe adapter.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Ufo! Ufo!
  • Reply 34 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

DisplayPort has a lot of support amongst computer manufacturers. It provides a flexible, high speed, and expandable standard which supports external and internal monitors to very high resolutions. HDMI doesn't. Just because it's used in millions of TVs doesn't mean anything to the computer industry.

I don't assume support until there are products. It's easy to find monitors and projectors with HDMI. HDMI is less bandwidth limited. The latest version of HDMI is 10.2 Gbps, DisplayPort is 8.64 Gbps. There is nothing preventing HDMI's use for higher resolutions.

If I recall right, the main thing that the computer industry likes is that it's not encumbered with licensing fees, though $10k for membership and use is peanuts to the big monitor and graphic card companies, they might spend more on water in an hour of normal operation.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Laser cut and water polished?
  • Reply 36 of 91
    EEEEWWWW, you use Windoze

This is terrible news, IMO, if true because the PowerBook G4/MacBook Pro keyboards are the nicest that I've ever used on a laptop. The Air's keyboard looks nice but just doesn't feel as good to type on.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

IHDMI is less bandwidth limited. The latest version of HDMI is 10.2 Gbps, DisplayPort is 8.64 Gbps.

DisplayPort can do 10.8Gb/s now. I couldn't care less if it's HDMi or DP, i just don't want the overly large DL-DVI used anymore.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    found this on macrumors... the iWant...onenow...

• Reply 39 of 91
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Looking at the ports, from right to left, I see:

Audio out, Audio in, Mini DVI, USB, another USB (yes, two USB ports side by side, like on the MacBooks), Ethernet, MagSafe port

you forgot a Firewire 800 port. The latest port visible is probably the Ethernet port or another Firewire 800 port. (it looks slightly wider than the Firewire 800 port on the left (enough space for a Video out port a MagSafe power port and your Mini-DVI port is to small for a Mini-DVI port. It's even to small for the micro-DVI port like the MB air has, which is about the same size as an USB port. Maybe It's a Kensington cable lock slot.

Quote:

If Apple is moving all the ports to the left side, what does that mean for the right side? Will there simply be nothing on the right side?

Doubt it. I think they're moving the slot-loading SuperDrive to the right side, just like the MacBooks.

Indeed a super drive on the right makes a thin front a la MB air possible.

But since this is a Pro machine there should be an USB port on the right side too like the current MacBook Pro.
    Quote:

That...or we're looking at aluminum MacBooks (which doesn't seem realistic to me because the Pros are much more overdue for a facelift,

That's a non issue. The fact this is a MBP lays in the fact that the space between the keyboard and the side is to large. It's the about the same space as the current MBP 15".

Quote:

not to mention the MacBook's MagSafe port is much smaller than the MacBook Pro's).

Nonsense... the MagSafe Power Adapter are interchangeable between MB (60W, which keeps your MBP up and running but hardly charges it) and the MBP MagSafe Power Adapter. (85W)
  • Reply 40 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Laser cut and water polished?

I believe it's simply a water flowjet cutter. This process has been around for years!