Last-minute, alleged MacBook price list surfaces

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Stoking the fires less than a day before Apple revamps its notebook line, a previously unseen blog has popped up with an image of what's claimed as a price list of the company's new MacBooks.

The eight new models have model numbers that don't turn up earlier counterparts and appear to have different pricing, as well; the $899, $1,299, and $1,599 models match most closely to the MacBook, while $1,999, $2,499 and $2,799 models match current MacBook Pro prices. The $1,799 price also syncs with that of the MacBook Air, though a second $2,499 price point is new and may point to a less expensive SSD-based Air update.

Each listing also comes with Apple's three-character codenames for each, which aren't normally published along with model details.

While potentially noteworthy, particularly for their assertions of an upcoming $899 Mac, the prices come from a site that didn't exist before today and thus from a source without a proven track record; readers are advised to take these claims with a grain of salt until Tuesday's event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    $899 woot!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    There's nothing in between $899 and $1299? I don't believe that. That's a $400 gap.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My Mom has fixed her crappy eMachines for the umpteenth time. She could really use a $900 MacBook.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

There's nothing in between $899 and $1299? I don't believe that. That's a $400 gap.

899 could be 13" lowest video card + lots of options for memory/hdd update to bridge the gap

1299 could be 15" more video card

Wouldn't put it past apple
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

899 could be 13" lowest video card + lots of options for memory/hdd update to bridge the gap

1299 could be 15" more video card

Wouldn't put it past apple

You read me miond.

As long as they make it configurable to high heaven (the 13" model), add several color choices (plus black, and silver) and drop the "Pro" moniker from the higher end models then I'm all for that.

MacBook 13.3", 15.4" or 17.1"

Choose a size, choose a color, choose a configuration. Simple & solved. If they did that it would be clever.

On the online store they could have the three MacBooks in a row, with 9 color options below them (I choose 9 like the nano, including black and silver), you click a color and all three change to that color. When you choose the color you prefer, you click buy now next to the MacBook size you want, you're taken to the configuration page, and you can pretty much add what you want, to make any three of the models more consumer-like, or more pro like.

Hello Apple, you are listening? No, didn't think so.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

My Mom has fixed her crappy eMachines for the umpteenth time. She could really use a $900 MacBook.

My mom could too

• Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robb01 View Post

My mom could too

My Mom could three.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    What the heck is K29? That's what the $899 model is called. All other Apple notebooks start with M. Either it's a new model or a holdout from the previous generation. IOW, maybe it's the low end plastic MB, a low end education model or something. If it's something new, maybe it's a miniature MB with a smaller screen.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

What the heck is K29? That's what the $899 model is called. All other Apple notebooks start with M. Either it's a new model or a holdout from the previous generation. IOW, maybe it's the low end plastic MB, a low end education model or something. If it's something new, maybe it's a miniature MB with a smaller screen.

Looks like AppleInsider picked up on your observation. Don't worry, they'll never give you the credit for that find.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Some rumors are saying they aren't updating the regular macbooks tomorrow. That's hard to believe. But what if the new macbooks don't go aluminum. What if what we saw was just a $1599 13" Pro?

I don't really believe it because I think Apple is pushing for symmetry across the line. They want all their machines to have the same look and be environmentally friendly glass and aluminum. But an $899 glass/aluminum macbook... I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Crazy thought...

What if the $899 model is the mystery 'iMac-esque' dock/display as seen in various Apple patents...?!?