Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire

Comments

• Reply 321 of 1665
    If this wasn't a bad decision by Apple, there wouldn't be 300+ replies on this thread.
  • Reply 322 of 1665
    OK, so they got rid of firewire on iPod, iPhone is USB, and now they got rid of it on one notebook. Yes, this IS a sign of what's coming. USB 3.0 is coming out soon, so that leads to one more thing that apple needs to compete with. I don't blame them for starting to remove firewire. sure people are going to be pissed, but this is a sign that we could POSSIBLY be moving to somewhat of a standard(that being USB). I can't wait for 3.0, but it wouldn't have hurt apple to wait until that day because they could have avoided all of these "real professionals" who can afford a "real camera" and not a macbook pro from complaining so bad.

I'm with apple. The tech world changes every day. whatever camera/laptop/computer you get today, will be slower than the one that sells a couple months from now. If you want the best stuff, you have to spend a LOT of money. That's just the way it is.

By the way, if you want to be a cheap ass (or a broke college kid like I was), get a cheap PC, throw out your windows disc and install linux. Suck it up and learn how to be a real computer user. Then you can bitch about hardware.
  • Reply 323 of 1665
    Quote:

I don't like Steve Ballmer, but this time he was right - leaving out features like FW and Blue-Ray is simply a way to get a higher margins. And support mainly consists of "better buy a new machine". Thank you.

No Ballmer is 90% NEVER RIGHT with whatever he says. Its Blu-Ray not Blue-Ray btw, you even got the spelling wrong...

Blu-Ray is nice to have but its still to early to start jumping in it, look at the burn speed of blu-ray players so far, 1X? 2X? That's so freaking slow considering the size of a blu-ray disc. Besides, most people these days don't burn backup datas into CDs they back it up into their external hard disk. Oh yea and if you say that because Blu-Ray disc is portable therefore its better then external hard disk, let me ask you, how many PCs OUT THERE that have a build-in blu-ray player? Most of them is buy to configuration and frankly, A LOT of people don't have blu-ray in their PCs or notebooks yet.

Besides, even if Apple introduce BD in the MBP, some people will start whining that there isn't BD in MB so whats the point of getting extra unnecessary criticism.

Quote:

Everybody wants the features of the mbpro to be in the mb?

And the mb is not useful if it doesn't have the features of the mbpro?

True, remember then the MBP gets multi-touch. People started complaining that Apple is ignoring the MB users and making the gap further, but now when the MB and MBP have pretty much the same feature, people start complaining that the gap between these 2 models is too small. Odd much? What's next, the MBP and MB will have the same GPU and everything except for the screen size and people will start saying Apple is ripping them off because if they want a 15" notebook they need to go to the MBP.

I do agree that they should put firewire in the MB, I don't see any wrong into placing a Firewire in the MB, cause it seems there are a quite big group of people who still need to use FW. Well then it will only be fair if Apple give 2 FW in the MBP .

Quote:

OK, so they got rid of firewire on iPod, iPhone is USB, and now they got rid of it on one notebook. Yes, this IS a sign of what's coming. USB 3.0 is coming out soon, so that leads to one more thing that apple needs to compete with. I don't blame them for starting to remove firewire. sure people are going to be pissed, but this is a sign that we could POSSIBLY be moving to somewhat of a standard(that being USB). I can't wait for 3.0, but it wouldn't have hurt apple to wait until that day because they could have avoided all of these "real professionals" who can afford a "real camera" and not a macbook pro from complaining so bad.

You have a point there, cause with the industry going towards glossy screens, I wonder in the future will it make a difference between matte or gloss since people will view graphic artist or some kind of artist works on glossy screen.

Hmm, oh yea anyone find an issue with the distance between the 2 USB ports?
  • Reply 324 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Then buy a MacBook Pro what idiot would run a high end audio/video editing with a MacBook? That's why they made a MacBook Pro line to begin with!

For your information the MacBook is able to capture edit render and conform in DVCPro HD through the firewire port with a Motu V4HD... even an older 1,83 ghz MacBook can do it. And it is still a valid editing station in DVCpro HD for longer projects with media saved on a gigabit networked disk.... (DVCPRO HD is 10 bit YUV 422 @ 1920*1080)
  • Reply 325 of 1665
    http://www.petitiononline.com/MB1394/petition.html

please take the time to sign and spread the word to others!
  • Reply 326 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisterEjag View Post

If you need a FireWire 400 port or connection - simply buy an adapter ($9.00) and get to work

You can go here;

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Othe...ng/1394B6912C/

and purchase, or one of many other places - bottom line - if you need FW400, you can EASILY get it on the new MB/MB Pro's

Mister Ejag

Thanks these people are some true small minded idiots! I'm rather shocked I never seen so many stupid people with a Mac. I honestly felt the people that own a Mac are more intelligent then the average PC. I expected Mac users to be the Elite Class! Was I wrong?
  • Reply 327 of 1665
    Quote:

Thanks these people are some true small minded idiots! I'm rather shocked I never seen so many stupid people with a Mac. I honestly felt the people that own a Mac are more intelligent then the average PC. I expected Mac users to be the Elite Class! Was I wrong?

i agree, posts like that are not a showcase for informed posting...
  • Reply 328 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[...]

If we are going to place any real blame on Apple it should be for not having the foresight to make the FW400 and FW800 ports the same so direct backwards compatibility could be maintained the way that USB3.0 will, but we all saw this coming years ago, even if we didn't want to accept it.

From this:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01...sb_3_revealed/

it appears that the USB 3 socket is backwards compatible, but the connectors do differ. So it's not that much different than the Firewire 800 port on the latest MacBook Pro. In both cases you can use the older peripheral on the newer port, just that with USB 3 you can use your existing USB 2 cable, and with Firewire you need to buy a 6 to 9 pin cable if you don't have one already.
  • Reply 329 of 1665
    Someone is whining and is going to quit buying and recommending MACs because their new product does not include a firewire port?

I still design products that use serial ports using a development systems that requires a parallel port. Both of these ports were the standard for many years; however, computer manufacturers have labeled these communication ports as outdated.

Technology changes. I adapt.

Fusillade
  • Reply 330 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pilottage View Post

For your information the MacBook is able to capture edit render and conform in DVCPro HD through the firewire port with a Motu V4HD... even an older 1,83 ghz MacBook can do it. And it is still a valid editing station in DVCpro HD for longer projects with media saved on a gigabit networked disk.... (DVCPRO HD is 10 bit YUV 422 @ 1920*1080)

So Apple don't need to change to keep up with Studios who don't want to change and we get to spend more money on MacBooks for this? Dude everybody who buy a mac isn't going to make a 1080p HD Cinematic Movie with 5.1 Surround Sound! If I wanted to which I do I'm buying the 15" MacBook Pro! If I want to do Digital Photography then I'm buying a MacBook Air with SSD for that purpose! It depends on the consumer need and what the want of course anybody that going to do anything definitely make a budget before beginning a production of any kind.
  • Reply 331 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corinhorn View Post

All that I know for sure is I will not spend one bloody dime on an Apple notebook until FireWire is back on the MacBook. I'm not going to spend an extra $500 to get the MacBook Pro.

I've been a Mac user for 10 years, and for the first time ever I am considering buying a Dell.

Let me help you. http://www.dell.com/content/products...~857204&page=1

When you finished configuring your dream machine with FireWIre, I would love to hear what your finally decision.

Would also love to hear what you are using now.

Good luck.

P.S. I think you will have to admit that you wouldn't get such assistance from PC fanboys.

P.P.S. I challenge anybody else to do the same for Sony, Acer, Lenovo, or whatever. Mac Users would really like to know. Maybe we are missing something.
  • Reply 332 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fusillade View Post

Someone is whining and is going to quit buying and recommending MACs because their new product does not include a firewire port?

I still design products that use serial ports using a development systems that requires a parallel port. Both of these ports were the standard for many years; however, computer manufacturers have labeled these communication ports as outdated.

Fusillade

Yes!!! you adapt, exactly. people for some reason don't understand that concept!
  • Reply 333 of 1665
    Quote:

You guys truly weak minded bombastic simpletons! Freedom of choice buy a MacBook or buy a MacBook Pro with firewire!

It's really hopeless to discuss with you idiologically poisened people.

Apple should tailor you a Macbook with no USB port and Steve telling you that you just don't need the port anymore (as there will be a much faster uptdate sometime in the future). Until the new standard will be released just buy you an adapter cause there's a workaround with ethernet.
  • Reply 334 of 1665
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Not a great move on Apples part ? that appears to be clear, but it's not like they dropped it all together.

Yes you'll have to invest a bit more money to get it, but if your equipment needs firewire, then getting a better Mac is likely to be a good idea as well.

I currently use fire as often as possible *? file transfer from Nikon memory stick to iPhoto. I just got the new Firewire reader from Sandisk, but Yes I still have the USB version as well.

We all know Apple did this to keep their margins, and still lower the price by $100.00. We wanted to cheaper Laptop, and Apple came thur, even if they did get rid of some stuff.

The real question is, how many folks who want the Cheap laptop, need firewire?

How many of these same folks can afford the next level up, and in fact, will get that model?

How many folks need firewire, use firewire, that can't get away with USB?

If there are adaptors available (as pointed out by another poster) for $9.00, buy one of those if you really need one. Yes it means Apple is forcing you to buy something else instead of including it, and if they sell for $9.00, how much would it have cost Apple to keep it?

Yes including it, making room for it, and other considerations, would likely have made it more then $9.00, but let's think about it.

Is any amount of BAD press, worth $9.00 ? NO FICKING WAY!

At least, that's my opinion.

Skip
  • Reply 335 of 1665
    Quote:

Fusillade

Thanks, Intelligent Mac users are coming out!
  • Reply 336 of 1665
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someoneinca View Post

So what does Steve want people to do? Throw out their firewire cameras and buy new USB based ones? What about Time Machine. I use FW800 with Time Machine and I can't even imagine having to use USB to back up my stuff

And I use firewire for time machine and my printer. I guess I'll have to buy all new cables. You think Steve wil pay for them?
  • Reply 337 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Not a great move on Apples part ? that appears to be clear, but it's not like they dropped it all together.

Yes you'll have to invest a bit more money to get it, but if your equipment needs firewire, then getting a better Mac is likely to be a good idea as well.

I currently use fire as often as possible *? file transfer from Nikon memory stick to iPhoto. I just got the new Firewire reader from Sandisk, but Yes I still have the USB version as well.

We all know Apple did this to keep their margins, and still lower the price by $100.00. We wanted to cheaper Laptop, and Apple came thur, even if they did get rid of some stuff.

The real question is, how many folks who want the Cheap laptop, need firewire?

How many of these same folks can afford the next level up, and in fact, will get that model?

How many folks need firewire, use firewire, that can't get away with USB?

If there are adaptors available (as pointed out by another poster) for $9.00, buy one of those if you really need one. Yes it means Apple is forcing you to buy something else instead of including it, and if they sell for $9.00, how much would it have cost Apple to keep it?

Yes including it, making room for it, and other considerations, would likely have made it more then $9.00, but let's think about it.

Is any amount of BAD press, worth $9.00 ? NO FICKING WAY!

At least, that's my opinion.

Skip

Thanks we need more people to come out and stand up for Apple!
  • Reply 338 of 1665
    Why are the people that DON'T use firewire annoyed with the people that obviously NEED FW ports on a Macbook? It's a simple complaint. They want a port that is on the previous model on the better new updated Macbook. Calling them whiney is not an answer for anything. It's a legitimate question that people want answered. People that say "just buy an adapter" have never sat and captured video all day to come back to dropped frames. It's not a fun thing to have to recapture everything and lose time.

I've been a Mac user all my life and never had any problems with Macs... NEVER. But this did leave a bad taste in my mouth and I can't believe Mac users are claiming other Mac users are "whiney people who don't know what they are talking about". What ever happened to Mac unity and understanding?

I'd rather have 1 USB and 1 FW. If anyone complains about that then I guess I would have to say to them, why don't you buy an adapter? Seriously 1 of each would suffice on a Macbook. I own a Mac Pro at home and do all my HEAVY work on that, but was thinking of getting a Macbook just for capture/label/ingestion of video on the field. Since MBP's lost their Matte option and I don't do heavy editing on this machine, I was looking forward to the new MB. But now I'm just going to wait the year out and see how things play out in the Apple world.

It's a simple complaint. No whining hear. I'm long time Mac user and I'm quite disappointed with this.
  • Reply 339 of 1665
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And I use firewire for time machine and my printer. I guess I'll have to buy all new cables. You think Steve wil pay for them?

I got a Mac Mini I got two USB 2.0 External Seagate Hard Drives: one 750GB and other 1TB I got 750GB full Music, Music videos, TV Shows and Movies from iTunes. I used the 1TB to back it up well as the 120GB on my Mac Mini. It works fine!
  • Reply 340 of 1665
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

There are chips and modules that convert USB to RS232. Are you hinting at that? I really love how simple RS232 is, for low intensity tasks, it's trivial to have a working RS232 prototype done in a lazy afternoon.