Let's talk Macworld 2009 hardware; what's left to fill up all that time?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    macbook air 2.0 GHZ and above :/
  • Reply 42 of 72
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I think they'll have to. Design counts. Counts for a lot, but only for so much dollars. If people can get desktops with quad-cores at equivalent MHz as the iMac dual-cores, and for 60% or 70% of the price, it will be difficult for Apple to overcome that performance disparity with design...

I agree, I'd perfer to see faster, more powerful Macs... But, I just have the feeling, with the release of the new MB/MBPs that Apple doesn't see that, yet.

Anyway, here are the upcoming mobile cpus from Intel that will be available late this year/early next year, so hopefully we will see some of them used in Macs:

Quote:

Intel is planning to launch five 35W desktop Core 2 Duo processors on December 28 this year: the T9800, Q9000, P9600, T9550 and T8700, with prices set at US$530, US$348, US$348, US$316 and US$241 in thousand-unit tray quantities, respectively, according to sources at motherboard makers.

In addition to launching new processors, the company is also planning to reduce pricing for the current top-end Core 2 Duo P8600 processor from US$241 to US$209 in January of 2009.

T9800 dual-core 2.93GHz 6MB cache 35W $530

Q9000 quad-core 2.00GHz 6MB cache 35W $348 (now that makes me want a quad-core Mac mini)

P9600 dual-core 2.66GHz 6MB cache 25W $348

T9550 dual-core 2.66GHz 6MB cache 35W $316

T8700 dual-core 2.53Ghz 3MB cache 35W $241

P8600 dual-core 2.40GHz 3MB cache 25W $209

At least Apple will be able to match the speeds of the current iMacs with new cpus and at a reasonable price (2.40/2.66/2.80/3.06GHz).

Also a quad-core option is now possible in any mobile/hybrid Mac for a reasonable price too ($348).

Not mentionned in here, but also planned for early Q1 2009 are a 2.0GHz SL cpu (for the MBA) and price cuts on the previous models... Mr. bayareamacaddict

• Reply 43 of 72
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I agree, I'd perfer to see faster, more powerful Macs... But, I just have the feeling, with the release of the new MB/MBPs that Apple doesn't see that, yet.

Yeah. I agree. Apple is treading a very fine line with the new MB/MBP machines. They should have made the CPUs 2.33-2.53 GHz and 2.53 to 2.67 GHz to make them more performance competitive. It will be interesting to see how much people are willing to pay for their design advantages (elegance, thinness, big trackpad, lighted keyboard, magsafe, etc). Personally, I think they crossed that line in making it too expensive or not enough performance. The previous gen was right there at the beginning of their cycles. Maybe Apple was expecting more from Intel and they didn't get it. We'll see if Apple will do a MB/MBP refresh 6 months from now.

Quote:

Q9000 quad-core 2.00GHz 6MB cache 35W $348 (now that makes me want a quad-core Mac mini)

Yeah, but you can get a desktop quad-core for $250, probably less.

Quote:

At least Apple will be able to match the speeds of the current iMacs with new cpus and at a reasonable price (2.40/2.66/2.80/3.06GHz). Also a quad-core option is now possible in any mobile/hybrid Mac for a reasonable price too ($348).

I'm wishfully thinking for a 2.53 GHz quad-core iMac myself...
  • Reply 44 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

I think Ireland is on the money with the TV market. I also think we should see an Apple DVR option given the mess that is the Apple TV. I think if they're going to do TVs they'll want to get it all so a DVR option makes sense.

No DVR, either an iTunes TV show subscription service, buy from iTunes or plug in your DVR or digital/cable box. There'll be no DVR from Apple. Now this time, never.

The idea being, at some point in the future Apple has all the content you'll ever need to watch on the iTunes store, and rather than recording your favorite show; you'll stream it or download it from iTunes. You'll never have to set the DVR ever again. Just choose the show want and begin watching, courtesy of your iTunes TV Show subscription service.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Why isn't anyone considering a new mobile product being the showcase for macworld 2009? Lets face it, besides the macbooks the iphone is the star of the show now. I think Steve is going to debut some sort of an iphone variant in January. I don't know if it will be a "mactouch" but there is no way that the regular macs (mac pro and mac mini) are going to be the main attractions at the next macworld.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Why isn't anyone considering a new mobile product being the showcase for macworld 2009? Lets face it, besides the macbooks the iphone is the star of the show now. I think Steve is going to debut some sort of an iphone variant in January. I don't know if it will be a "mactouch" but there is no way that the regular macs (mac pro and mac mini) are going to be the main attractions at the next macworld.

People are thinking this, but it won't be ready for MW.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Yeah, but you can get a desktop quad-core for $250, probably less..

The desktop Q6600 (2.4GHz quad) is down to $180. Its replacement in the line-up, the Q8200, is only $200. AMD is selling its quad-core CPUs for as little as $130 (the Phenom 9550).
  • Reply 48 of 72
    30" iMacs?
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

30" iMacs?

Won't happen. The kind of person who wants a 30" display doesn't want an iMac.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People are thinking this, but it won't be ready for MW.

Won't be ready? Why do you say? As well you should know, Apple works on products years in advance. There is no way they don't have some sort of industry smacking show stopper ready for Macworld 2009. They have to get some momentum going to carry them through the new year.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    All the displays will be changed to environmentally friendly LED backlits with DP connections. Apple will reintroduce the Mini as a lean, green machine with DP ports. Possibly the Pro as well, but the marketing for that line seems more subdued and directed away from the main audience. Apple's recent and rather highly publicized environmental report noticebly lacks these two product lines. All three -- displays, pros, and mini's -- are long, long overdue for an update.

It's unlikely there will be anything mobile-related at MWSF09 except news updates on those lines.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:

Won't be ready? Why do you say? As well you should know, Apple works on products years in advance. There is no way they don't have some sort of industry smacking show stopper ready for Macworld 2009. They have to get some momentum going to carry them through the new year.

Having to be ready and being ready a two different things. I don't think they'll have had the time to have something of this magnitude ready for Macworld '09. Besides, the las thing they want to do in Jan is eat into potential MacBook and MacBook Pro sales. No, this tablet won't happen in January, January will be other stuff.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    A touch screen would be quite nice, although I would break down and cry because my MacBook works just fine and the economy is not really suitable for unnecessary expenses...
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Having to be ready and being ready a two different things. I don't think they'll have had the time to have something of this magnitude ready for Macworld '09. Besides, the las thing they want to do in Jan is eat into potential MacBook and MacBook Pro sales. No, this tablet won't happen in January, January will be other stuff.

I disagree. I think this tablet device will be an iphone on steroids and it won't be something to replace a notebook.

Because the device will be something designed not to replace a notebook it should not eat into macbook sales. Although, a device like that I myself (and others) would probably indeed use the device in the place of a notebook.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    I've been using an iPod Touch as my primary computer since the 2nd gen release (secondary computer being an iMac at the uni library). I waited so long for the Mini update that I felt I at least needed something to check my email and watch some videos. It's been serviceable. I'm surprised how often I use it and how rarely I go to the library. There are new apps that extend its functionality for me almost on a daily basis.

What I really want is a Mini with a decent graphics card and a Cintiq -- because I absolutely know they're not releasing a tablet. Not when the Touch works as well as it does, not when touch displays are as expensive as they are, and not when Steve explicitly said so a few days ago. Axiotron knows it.

You guys looking for an Apple tablet or iPhone on steriods really don't have a clue. The iPhone already is on steriods. Have you ever used one? It's the greatest piece of consumer electronics ever made.

If you want a pro machine that you can use to orchestrate live events or whatever it is you fantasize about, you'll have to look to a 3rd party. Maybe another Axiotron will mod something with aftermarket parts or another Wacom will make a wireless touch display for 6k. The pro Mac hardware market extends well beyond Apple. It's the consumer hardware market they like to keep to themselves. What you're describing just isn't for them, not even the couch potatoes who are too lazy to go to the computer to look up something on the net. That's what the iPhone is for and it's brilliant.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itisme1760 View Post

Next in line for updates in my opinion is...

-Mac Pro (speed bump with new Intel Quad Cores)

-iMac (possible speed bump)

-Macbook Air (possible redesign to match current MB, MBP offerings)

-Macbook Pro 17in (redesign to match current 15in MBP)

-Redesign of the other Cinema Displays.

I agree with everything you said.

Heavy Snow Leopard.

Mac Pro is going to be big due to Core i7 and Snow Leopard. I see a "bake off" in our future!
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:

I disagree. I think this tablet device will be an iphone on steroids and it won't be something to replace a notebook.

Because the device will be something designed not to replace a notebook it should not eat into macbook sales. Although, a device like that I myself (and others) would probably indeed use the device in the place of a notebook.

If you're using it in the place of a notebook, how is that not going to eat into MacBook sales? You don't need to answer that; it is. This device is going to be for people who want a small Mac to take everywhere. I actually reckon you'll need a desktop to sync this, just like an iPhone (though maybe not). It wouldn't surprise me though. If you are thinking you'll use this instead of a notebook, Apple's thinking that too - you can be sure of that. My original vision for Mac touch is that it would be targeted at desktop users, so syncing it would back up and sync your changes etc. And if you dropped it in the river you'd have a copy of that data on your desktop Mac at home, backed up to your Time Machine backup.

That would be the ultimate portable satellite computer. A small mirror of your desktop to take with you most anywhere, and do some work on the move. Not like a laptop, but more in a sense a small, portable version of your iMac or Mac Pro. Laptops are sort of portable enough and powerful enough to be both. Though this is about no comprises. It would be about being totally portable (more so than a lappy), and at home being more powerful and having a much larger screen too, compared to a laptop. Essentially like bigger iPhone, but for work, and it'd be a "real" Mac.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    17ich MBP same weight and same battery life>?
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

No way, you are lost here buddy.

Apple will not kill or reduce to one their Cinema displays line. This clearly shows you are not a professional that depends on a Mac.

30" display is a God send for creative professionals. If Apple kills it will outrage professionals. Plus it will limit the choices out there big time. Just 24" makes no sense.

Plus Apple do not need to kill or reduce these Cinema displays to "differentiate" anything relate to their HDTV (if they ever do that). One is for work with much higher resolutions on the 30", the other for mostly pleasure with 1920x1080.

Apple will update their displays,20", 24" with LED and if available on the 30" as well. They will probably keep the DVI port (so old mac can still plug) and add the display port and iSight. The look might be just like the new 24", hopefully with a matte option, since glossy is horrible for color accuracy.

Hey, Apple already outraged professionals by bringing out the new MBP with Glossy only screens !!! I know lots of people (myself included) staying away from the new machine because of that. I got the chance to use one the other day outside of the AppleStore. It was AWEFUL !!!!
  • Reply 60 of 72
    I actually prefer glossy screens. Just like in photographic prints, glossy prints have inherently more contrast than matte prints. Any less-than-mirror-finish surface will reduce image contrast as it diffuses any and all ambient light falling onto its surface. Like a mirror, you can at least angle a glossy screen toward a darkened area of the room (all the walls in my studio are painted 18% neutral gray).

Anyway, here's my prediction for '09 MacWorld: a tablet or mini-book Mac of some sort. Oh yeah, and the new MacMini hopefully before then. For MacWorld 2012, I hope to see a portable, paper-thin, transparent (OLED) computer you can roll up like a newspaper.