Due next from Apple: refreshed 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 141 of 183
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't know if we'll see it, but that is a great idea.

unlikely, though, you'd think - with the new 24" display just released and marketed with that exact purpose...
  • Reply 142 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe you could get a studio that's bigger than a closet?.

There I go again thinking I know best what I need.

I'll take your advice to let Apple work all that out for me and just tell when it gets around to it. Along with the bill.
  • Reply 143 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donato View Post

I have heard that the new iMacs could incorporate LED displays and even there will be a version in black. Somebody knows anything about

that?

http://applediario.com/2008/10/18/ha...-de-los-imacs/

We are already struggling withe the problems of the glossy screen.

Have you seen how washed out the LED screens on the Macbooks look?
  • Reply 144 of 183
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Have you seen how washed out the LED screens on the Macbooks look?

Would you care to tell us? I suppose very few have seen a new Macbook.
  • Reply 145 of 183
    i was waiting for a big breakthrough in the imacs but now with the new cinema display and the new 15" MBP, i can get dual screen with equal power to an imac apart from it isnt anchored to a desk

so unless the imacs get quad cores before the end of the year which will benefit from snow leopard .... im off to buy a MBP
  • Reply 146 of 183
    Oh great! Now I've joined yet another forum on which to consume countless hours! You guys are funny! I love the, "72dpi image the client found on the internet," joke. I've been around a while too, I guess. I remember spray painting my old Apple II flat black, just because I hated the color beige so much (still do). Remember the Mac IIs? God, those were expensive. But, I still remember drooling over the form factor of those first "modular" power-user Macs. Now, at least I can laugh over conning my old boss into buying me a loaded Mac Quadra 700 for like $7,000, back in the day. Ahh . . . those WEREN'T the days. Those were the days when you HAD to have both a PC and a Mac on your desk. But, since I wasn't about to spend $7,000 of my own money on a Quadra for home, I then bought my first PC. And then another, and another, and another . . .

So, after a long, painful respite from being a loyal Apple user, I have finally left WindowsWorld for good. A month ago, I disconnected all of my PCs, and I returned back to MacLand, full force, purchasing two brand new, Penryn-aluminum iMacs--the midline 20" for my girlfriend, and the top-of-the-line 3.06GHz 24" iMac for myself (I wanted the better graphics chipset and true 8-bit color depth display). I still need to buy two more MacMinis (to use as HTPCs), but, of course, I'm waiting for the "refresh." Ah well . . .

I didn't want a tower, because I wanted to get rid of the boxes all over and under my desks. Although my intended applications kinda do justify needing the power. No longer working in Design & Pre-press Land, I've reverted back to my earlier vocation--filmmaking. So, of course, I'm going to be pushing quite a few megapixels around my brand new, 24" iMac, at full, 24-frame, HD resolution. Working in HD, sure, it would be nice to also have integrated Blu-Ray authoring capability (I'm guessing that WON'T be part of the iMac refresh; if it is, I'll really be ill). But, I digress . . . Damnit, I just wish I could buy this big-ticket stuff at the "beginning" of its "third-generation product development cycle." I imagine the prevailing iMac predictions are correct. New, refreshed iMacs, just around the corner, with brilliant new LED screens, a whole new digital I/O port, and a lower-Wattage power soak. Great. Why couldn't I have waited just 30 more days for my new-found "Mac revelation" to spawn?
  • Reply 147 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post

Oh great! Now I've joined yet another forum on which to consume countless hours! You guys are funny! I love the, "72dpi image the client found on the internet," joke. I've been around a while too, I guess. I remember spray painting my old Apple II flat black, just because I hated the color beige so much (still do). Remember the Mac IIs? God, those were expensive. But, I still remember drooling over the form factor of those first "modular" power-user Macs. Now, at least I can laugh over conning my old boss into buying me a loaded Mac Quadra 700 for like $7,000, back in the day. Ahh . . . those WEREN'T the days. Those were the days when you HAD to have both a PC and a Mac on your desk. But, since I wasn't about to spend $7,000 of my own money on a Quadra for home, I then bought my first PC. And then another, and another, and another . . .

So, after a long, painful respite from being a loyal Apple user, I have finally left WindowsWorld for good. A month ago, I disconnected all of my PCs, and I returned back to MacLand, full force, purchasing two brand new, Penryn-aluminum iMacs--the midline 20" for my girlfriend, and the top-of-the-line 3.06GHz 24" iMac for myself (I wanted the better graphics chipset and true 8-bit color depth display). I still need to buy two more MacMinis (to use as HTPCs), but, of course, I'm waiting for the "refresh." Ah well . . .

I didn't want a tower, because I wanted to get rid of the boxes all over and under my desks. Although my intended applications kinda do justify needing the power. No longer working in Design & Pre-press Land, I've reverted back to my earlier vocation--filmmaking. So, of course, I'm going to be pushing quite a few megapixels around my brand new, 24" iMac, at full, 24-frame, HD resolution. Working in HD, sure, it would be nice to also have integrated Blu-Ray authoring capability (I'm guessing that WON'T be part of the iMac refresh; if it is, I'll really be ill). But, I digress . . . Damnit, I just wish I could buy this big-ticket stuff at the "beginning" of its "third-generation product development cycle." I imagine the prevailing iMac predictions are correct. New, refreshed iMacs, just around the corner, with brilliant new LED screens, a whole new digital I/O port, and a lower-Wattage power soak. Great. Why couldn't I have waited just 30 more days for my new-found "Mac revelation" to spawn?

Everyone I know who uses Macs (including me) has a similar, but worse story. Apparently, this is what it means to be a Mac user nowadays. I'd wait until the new Macs have been reviewed before you let the buyers remorse sink in too much. You can start kicking yourself in ernest when Nehelem iMacs come out. Honestly, the machines you got are pretty dang good, and will be for a long while. At least another six months or so...

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 148 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

Everyone I know who uses Macs (including me) has a similar, but worse story. Apparently, this is what it means to be a Mac user nowadays. I'd wait until the new Macs have been reviewed before you let the buyers remorse sink in too much. You can start kicking yourself in ernest when Nehelem iMacs come out. Honestly, the machines you got are pretty dang good, and will be for a long while. At least another six months or so...

HA! Yes, I'm sure (I mean, about everyone's 'worse' story). Didn't mean to sound so whiney in my first, ever, AppleInsider forum post. At least I caught the first Penryn "speed-bump" in mid-cycle. Let me try and balance my initial statement . . . Yes, I'm happy with my shiny new Penryn iMacs. And, I expect the prevailing rumor community to be mostly on-target for their fall '08 iMac refresh predictions. A lower-power CPU, with about the same horsepower? No big performance loss there, although I was trying to green-up my home a bit more (the current 24" iMac consumes 280 Watts, and the 20" uses 200 Watts). A new digital display port? Interesting, since all my other devices now run through some sort of HDMI "router" (i.e., a home-theater AV receiver), I still find it a bit odd that I'm sending plain 'ole analog VGA to my 52" LCD display. Also, I wasn't expecting Blu-Ray drives to show up in new iMacs anytime soon anyway (cost, heat, licensing expense,etc.). Based on nothing more than my own intuition, I would also expect an ExpressCard/34 media slot to appear with the fall iMac refresh.
  • Reply 149 of 183
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Are there any real-world tests comparing Nehelem with current chips? New generations of chips come every year, the last several haven't been as big of an advance over the previous as they were hyped to be.
  • Reply 150 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are there any real-world tests comparing Nehelem with current chips? New generations of chips come every year, the last several haven't been as big of an advance over the previous as they were hyped to be.

Nehelem Tests

"We've been told to expect a 20 - 30% overall advantage over Penryn and it looks like Intel is on track to delivering just that in Q4." -Anandtech

Zoom!

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 151 of 183
    I think it's entirely possible that the iMac will continue using an Intel chipset. Since they don't use integrated graphics, and don't need power-saving on a desktop, switching them to the Nvidia chipset would just be a waste.
  • Reply 152 of 183
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Nehelem Tests

"We've been told to expect a 20 - 30% overall advantage over Penryn and it looks like Intel is on track to delivering just that in Q4." -Anandtech

Zoom!

-Switchy McSwitcher

Remember that those are DESKTOP quad-core cpus, for mobile cpus (which the iMac uses), the results maybe a bit different because of the TDP Intel wants to reach. And mobile nehalem cpus will not be ready before Q3 2009 for the quad-cores (iMacs) and late Q4 2009 or early Q1 2010 for the dual-cores + gpu (notebooks). Also most of the performance gains come from the re-introduction of hyperthreading (2 threads per core) and the integrated memory controller.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think it's entirely possible that the iMac will continue using an Intel chipset. Since they don't use integrated graphics, and don't need power-saving on a desktop, switching them to the Nvidia chipset would just be a waste.

I agree, but it also depends on the cost of the simgle chip nvidia chipset vs the dual chip Intel chipset, and the availability of both chipsets in quantities needed by Apple. Of course it would be less risky to use different chipsets, just in case... Anyway, both will use intel cpus.

I think that the real question is: will Apple update the iMacs to LED-BL displays too. They have the 24" model, they would need to find a 20" model that is not too expensive (in order to be able to keep about the same price as the current models.

Since there are no faster cpus than 3.06GHz, will Apple offer the LED-BL displays and similar clock speeds with no price change, or will they have to increase the price of some models and/or decrease the clock speed like they did with the 13" MacBook?
  • Reply 153 of 183
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I think that the real question is: will Apple update the iMacs to LED-BL displays too. They have the 24" model, they would need to find a 20" model that is not too expensive (in order to be able to keep about the same price as the current models.

Since there are no faster cpus than 3.06GHz, will Apple offer the LED-BL displays and similar clock speeds with no price change, or will they have to increase the price of some models and/or decrease the clock speed like they did with the 13" MacBook?

I think the new iMacs will get NVIDIA gpus. All the better to take advantage of CUDA.

Apple have kinda hit a wall WRT performance with the iMac. Using the GPU will be a way to milk performance out of these machines and narrow the widening performance gap between iMacs and pc desktop machines.
  • Reply 154 of 183
    Which part of November is this new iMac gonna be out in the market ?
  • Reply 155 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think the new iMacs will get NVIDIA gpus. All the better to take advantage of CUDA.

Apple have kinda hit a wall WRT performance with the iMac. Using the GPU will be a way to milk performance out of these machines and narrow the widening performance gap between iMacs and pc desktop machines.

Apple doesn't care about CUDA. Apple will be using OpenCL with 10.6.
  • Reply 156 of 183
    November is approaching soon.

So, will this new iMac come out in November ?
  • Reply 157 of 183
    Don't you guys sorta think for the next iMac wait until there is a 4 core one? Wouldn't that be possible in 2009?
  • Reply 158 of 183
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    If there's a lesson in Apple's new product roll outs, it's that they wait until their prior announcement of new products is shipping. Since the Airs are seemingly out the door now, the only thing holding back new iMacs is the shipment of the 24" LED Cinema Displays. I saw the new 24" LED Cinema Display at the Apple Store hooked up to one of the new MacBook Pros. So production of the new Cinema Displays must be ramping up and their shipment soon. I would venture a guess that an announcement of the new iMacs would be on Monday, November 10th or Wednesday, November 12th, pending the shipment of those new displays.
  • Reply 159 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

. . . I saw the new 24" LED Cinema Display at the Apple Store hooked up to one of the new MacBook Pros . . .

How'd it look? Were you able to notice any discernible difference between the current 24" iMac's LCD, and the new LED display? Better contrast? Wider color gamut? Anything?
  • Reply 160 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibook911 View Post

Don't you guys sorta think for the next iMac wait until there is a 4 core one? Wouldn't that be possible in 2009?

Does anyone else think a quad-core iMac is in the pipeline? I would've guessed that iMacs would stay dual-core for some time, as Apple continues to segregate their line-up (as they tend to do by delineating iMacs as "consumer-targeted" products, and MacPros as more "professionally targeted" machines), relegating quad-core processors solely to MacPro towers. Also, they would need to wait for a quad-core mobile processor for an iMac form factor build, right? Anyone else agree?