iPhone 2.2 beta to add public transit & walking directions

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    So far, I think the top 50 US metropolitan areas are on Street View. Street View is available for some parts of Japan too, there was a bit of a fufurah about it a couple months ago.





    france is online now, paris, toulouse, marseille and nice.



    Uk, germany, spain and italy will go online the next 1 or 2 months!!!



    for a list of cities outside the US: http://www.flickr.com/groups/googles...7606121546238/



    check out the pool map, since most photos have been geotagged;-)



    Sightings in the EU were in (Opel Astra all of EU):





    Germany:

    Berlin (pool)

    Bochum (pool)

    Bodensee/Lake Constance Region (Südliches/Southern Württemberg, Landstrasse/Rural Highway)

    Bonn

    Bremen

    Köln/Cologne (pool)

    Darmstadt

    Dortmund (pool)

    Duisburg (pool)

    Essen

    Frankfurt

    Gütersloh (pool)

    Hamburg (pool)

    Heidelberg

    Hilden (pool) (near Düsseldorf)

    Karlsruhe (pool)

    Leipzig (pool)

    Ludwigshafen

    Mannheim (pool)

    München/Munich (pool)

    Nürnberg/Nuremberg (pool)

    Potsdam

    Stuttgart (pool)

    Wiesbaden

    Worms







    France:

    Aix en Provence

    Burgundy (pool)

    La Ciotat, Marseille, Cote d'Azur (pool)

    Montbrison, Rhone-Alpes (near St. Etienne) (pool) (driver standing on top of Googlenetta)

    Montpellier (pool)

    Nice (pool)

    Paris (pool)

    Strasbourg (pool)

    Toulon (pool)

    Versailles (pool)







    UK:

    Beeston (pool)

    Birmingham (pool)

    Bristol (pool)

    Brentford (pool)

    Bury (pool)

    Cardiff (pool)

    Catherine-de-Barnes (pool)

    Colwick (pool)

    Coventry (pool)

    Cwmbran, Wales (pool)

    Edinburgh (pool)

    Exeter, Wales (pool)

    Forres, Scotland (pool)

    Glasgow (pool)

    High Wycomb (pool)

    Inverness

    Kensington (pool)

    Leeds (pool)

    Liverpool (pool)

    Littleborough (pool)

    London/Londres (pool)

    Manchester (pool)

    Norwich (pool)

    Nottingham (pool)

    Oxford (pool)

    Plymouth

    Portishead (pool)

    Sheffield (pool) (3 Googlenettas and next to them their respective drivers on the side of the road)

    Shepperton

    Ullapool

    York (pool)







    Spain:

    Barcelona (pool)

    Madrid (pool)

    Sevilla (pool)

    Valencia (pool)





    Italy:

    Firenze/Florence (pool)

    Milano/Milan/Mailand (pool)

    Roma/Rome/Rom (pool)

    Torino/Turin) (pool)



    Netherlands:

    Amsterdam (pool) (one of the Amsterdam photos shows the Google HQ with various Googlenettas getting ready for spain)

    Apeldoorn (pool)

    Den Haag/The Hague (pool)

    Rotterdam (pool)

    Zutphen (near Appeldorn) (pool)



    Australia (Holden Astra):

    Sydney (pool)

    Albany

    Brisbane (pool)

    Kojonup (pool)

    Perth



    New Zealand (Holden? Astra):

    Napier (pool)



    Japan (Toyota Prius):

    Kobe

    Nagayo (pool)

    Okinawa (pool)

    Osaka

    Tokyo (pool)



    Mexico (Pontiac G6):

    Mexico City (pool)



    Singapore (Opel Astra):

    Bishan (pool)
  • Reply 22 of 50
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    No mention of text-to-speech?

    Would be nice not having to buy a separate Garmin GPS.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post


    No mention of text-to-speech?

    Would be nice not having to buy a separate Garmin GPS.



    yes, it's just ridiculous to know that tomtom has a solution ready, but apple is stonewalling them...



    and to release a bluetooth stack that allows us iphone 2G users to pair a bluetooth GPS mouse... i would love to be able to keep using my tomtom BT GPS... and just buy the navigator package for iphone 2G/3G...they can charge for the BT stack, but apple, for god's sake, don;t leave the 2G users behind...!!! and the BT stack that would enable BT GPS for 2G users is not a big deal!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 50
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    yes, it's just ridiculous to know that tomtom has a solution ready, but apple is stonewalling them...



    And you know this how??
  • Reply 25 of 50
    shokkshokk Posts: 12member
    So

    freakin

    awesome!
  • Reply 26 of 50
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis;1330282

    [url



    http://www.google.com/transit[/url]



    For Switzerland, by far the best app for any kind of public transport is GottaGo!, it uses your current location to find bus stops, train stations and the like near you, finds all buses, trams, trains in all cities and villages (you can get everywhere by public transport in Switzerland). It provides a link to Maps to provide a path from your current location to the bus stop etc. It suggests while you type possible matches for your destination using both all names of cities and bus stops but also your address book.



    Google currently only uses the national train network and the public transport in the biggest agglomeration in Switzerland (Zurich).
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    And you know this how??



    because tomtom made an official statement saying they have tomtom navigator running on jailbroken iphones... (beta, only for employees!!!)...
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    And you know this how??



    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...iphone-gps-app



    that's what came up in google as #1 hit... but there also reports that quote the name of the tomtom person....
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Push? Is it September already?



    Also, how about the stuff that should have been there from day 1?

    *Cut and paste

    *Video recording

    *Continuous updating mode in Google maps (i.e. a moving map view)



    How about fixing the ridiculous load times for contacts (still!!!) and maps?



    And how about something really cool, like a Garmin or Tom-Tom interface for use as an in-car GPS?

    Maybe a Gmail app too? Voice dialing?
  • Reply 30 of 50
    ...and STILL no GPS Navigation...or voice dialing. The wait continues. Sigh...
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skyman375 View Post


    Push? Is it September already?



    Also, how about the stuff that should have been there from day 1?

    *Cut and paste

    *Video recording

    *Continuous updating mode in Google maps (i.e. a moving map view)



    How about fixing the ridiculous load times for contacts (still!!!) and maps?



    And how about something really cool, like a Garmin or Tom-Tom interface for use as an in-car GPS?

    Maybe a Gmail app too? Voice dialing?



    Isn't the continuous updating in Google Maps already there? I can walk down the street with my Phone in hand and watch the blue bubble move - or driving, does the same thing.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post


    Well...



    And what about sync-ed notes and to-do list? Are there coming at last



    Want synced notes and to-do list?



    Try Evernote and Zenbe Lists
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    because tomtom made an official statement saying they have tomtom navigator running on jailbroken iphones... (beta, only for employees!!!)...



    Notice that they said that they had it running on an iPhone.



    They never said they had a finished product. "Having it running" can mean anything from: "the system comes up and I shows my position on a map without crashing too much" to "the system is feature complete and ready to go."



    Given that this was early on.. I would more likely believe the former.



    They also certainly never said that Apple was stonewalling them.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    So this is priority for Apple vs the really useful features asked since day one of the iPhone. What's next? An even new calculator?
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donathius View Post


    Isn't the continuous updating in Google Maps already there? I can walk down the street with my Phone in hand and watch the blue bubble move - or driving, does the same thing.



    In order to do turn by turn navigation, the iPhone has to be able to tell the software what the current speed and heading is (so that the software can predict the course, and anounce the directions in good time).



    Well, guess what's back in iPhone OS 2.2 b2 ? Yup - speed and direction.



    So, I expect to see turn-by-turn GPS very soon after it's released
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donathius View Post


    Isn't the continuous updating in Google Maps already there? I can walk down the street with my Phone in hand and watch the blue bubble move - or driving, does the same thing.



    YES! since 2.0 the google maps "locate me" function does auto update your position... but the button has to be blue, once you move the map or hit the button and it turns grey the auto mode is off, you have to hit the button again, turning it blue, and auto follow mode is on again!



    and you can check WPS (wifi positioning) coverage here: http://skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

    or here

    http://www.loki.com/support/coverage-map

    coverage is very good in the US, canada, UK, germany, france, italy and most other E.U. countries... just check the map if you travel somewhere to find out if you will be able to rely on your iphone and WPS;-)
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post


    In order to do turn by turn navigation, the iPhone has to be able to tell the software what the current speed and heading is (so that the software can predict the course, and anounce the directions in good time).



    Well, guess what's back in iPhone OS 2.2 b2 ? Yup - speed and direction.



    So, I expect to see turn-by-turn GPS very soon after it's released



    you mean that tomtom will be allowed to run their navigator on the iphone? or that apple/google will sell/offer their own solution???



    i think the whole thing with turn-by-turn is about money!!! i think apple is catching up and does not allow tomtom/garmin to offer s/w for the iphone, they want to make those BIG $$$/??? themselves!!!
  • Reply 38 of 50
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Just wanted to mention for those with a Singapore iPhone 3G used in Malaysia with Maxis telco, you need to keep it at 2.0.2 for 3G connectivity. I ran into problems with the 2.1 update. Unless someone found a workaround/solution to this issue?



    Notwithstanding, the iPhone 3G, is the best mobile phone I have ever used, of course... (yes call me a fan boy, etc. etc. etc... then go * yourself).



    Bring on the 2.2 update, yeah...
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbella View Post


    Want synced notes and to-do list?



    Try Evernote and Zenbe Lists



    Neither one of these actually syncs to do's with iCal to do's, THATS what we're all waiting for!
  • Reply 40 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post


    you mean that tomtom will be allowed to run their navigator on the iphone? or that apple/google will sell/offer their own solution???



    i think the whole thing with turn-by-turn is about money!!! i think apple is catching up and does not allow tomtom/garmin to offer s/w for the iphone, they want to make those BIG $$$/??? themselves!!!



    But Apple takes a 30% of the software price, without having to develop the software.
Sign In or Register to comment.