Apple declares iPhone a challenger to Nintendo DS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    I hope with Apple want the iPhone to be more game like they wont forget to make it more enterprise standard.
  • Reply 22 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebg View Post

.....It will not touch the level of games on the DS or PSP. Not because it's incapable, but because they're selling to two separate markets.

That observation just about nails it.
  • Reply 23 of 121
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    it's got one button.
  • Reply 24 of 121
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Good for Apple. I'll stick with the DS for my kids though. More kids game and they like using the stylus, plus the dual screen is nice.

The updated DS, coming next spring to the US, will have larger screens and a built-in camera. When is the Touch going to get a camera built-in eh?
  • Reply 25 of 121
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miamitranceman View Post

We need games for the computers, forget the iPhone.

You don't get it. The iPhone runs OS X. This is a back door play into the gaming market.

The Wii's free ride will soon be over. Developers will be able to program for the handheld, desktop and console market with OS X.

It will be interesting to see which gets a DVD player first, the Wii or the Apple TV.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

And Apple will probably sell more iphones and touches this year than Nintendo, big deal.

Nintendo sold more DS systems in 6 months than Apple projected for iPhones when they first announced the thing. DS sales are going to break records in December in the U.S. alone, nevermind other places like Japan where the iPhone is a non-factor.

I doubt the iPhone will even outsell the Wii.

This doesn't even take into consideration that one can't prove how many iPhones are bought for the purposes of being a gaming device.
  • Reply 27 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Because gaming has outperformed and practically ignored the recession so far.

The tendency to masturbate on these forums has ignored the recession as well...
  • Reply 28 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You don't get it. The iPhone runs OS X. This is a back door play into the gaming market........It will be interesting to see which gets a DVD player first, the Wii or the Apple TV.

Clearly you dont get it. Apple will never add a DVD player to Apple TV...why? Because then its a less powerful Mac Mini. Also Apple hates physical media. Thats why they havent put BluRay into their Macs yet - they know as well as everyone else that digital distribution is the clear winner in the format wars.

Companies are stupid to still pay to produce something physical when its much cheaper to just send it out over the Internet - and much MUCH greener too.

In terms of gaming I consider myself to be somewhere between moderate gamer and that guy that died b/c he didnt stand up from playing WoW for three days - meaning that I usto be into it somewhat hardcore but now not so much - and I have to say that the iPhone/Pod Touch will never be a replacement for physical buttons for a video game. The tactical feedback mentioned about is CRUCIAL.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

Nintendo sold more DS systems in 6 months than Apple projected for iPhones when they first announced the thing. DS sales are going to break records in December in the U.S. alone, nevermind other places like Japan where the iPhone is a non-factor.

I doubt the iPhone will even outsell the Wii.

This doesn't even take into consideration that one can't prove how many iPhones are bought for the purposes of being a gaming device.

Dude did you bother to read what I wrote. There has already been 10 million iPhones sold this year already, and that doesnt even include the numbers for the touch. Show me your numbers for the wii and ds.
  • Reply 30 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Dude did you bother to read what I wrote. There has already been 10 million iPhones sold this year already, and that doesnt even include the numbers for the touch. Show me your numbers for the wii and ds.

DS - 2008

Japan - 3,242,170 (Source: Media Create)

US - 6,863,000 (Source: NPD)

Total - 10,105,170

Wii - 2008

Japan - 2,505,165 (Source: Media Create)

US - 7,985,000 (Source: NPD)

Total - 10,490,165

The Wii and DS outpace the iPhone in just two countries. You can throw in the iPod touch, but remember that Europe is currently the biggest territory for the DS and very close to the US for the Wii. This shouldn't be surprising considering the relative hurdles in having to buy an iPhone and the price differentials. I can throw in numbers for Canada, Australia, South Korea and so forth if I spent the time and researched, but it's not worth it considering the US and Japan alone drive my argument to be correct. DS and Wii and are likely to break the 20 Million barrier when all of 2008 is finally considered. Maybe even 25 Million barrier.

In other words, it's not likely for the touch and iPhone to outsell either of these machines.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

what can't the iphone do? its a phone, mobile internet device, music player, and now gaming platform. The App Store is making it the most versitile device that defies catagories.

Don't forget GPS. Saved my butt a few times already. Really super now that it has street view.
  • Reply 32 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arj8138 View Post

Companies are stupid to still pay to produce something physical when its much cheaper to just send it out over the Internet - and much MUCH greener too.

Don't forget, DRM friendly for the anti-consumer content producer, too. \
  • Reply 33 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You don't get it. The iPhone runs OS X. This is a back door play into the gaming market.

The Wii's free ride will soon be over. Developers will be able to program for the handheld, desktop and console market with OS X.

It will be interesting to see which gets a DVD player first, the Wii or the Apple TV.

Let me be the first to confirm for you that whatever it is you're smoking is really good shit.
  • Reply 34 of 121
    But it's not to say they are going to overtake DS anytime soon. They are an option. I think games are fun, and while I had a PSP at one time, I found I'm not much of a "gamer". So the iPhone apps work for me. One problem with the PSP, while pretty frickin cool, the cost of the games was prohibitive to to someone that is casual. So here's the point that Apple is driving at, there are many more "casual" gamers out there that are willing to pay up to maybe on the outside $20 for a game (but that better be the shiznit), but for the most part it's going to be less than $10. Less than $10 a game AND I can download it (opposed to planning and having to go somewhere to buy it) then you have something--call it impulse buy and I do it with the iPhone on a weekly basis. I'm someone that needs to pass maybe 10-15mins at a stretch not 2hrs,6hrs,8hrs....two days. These 15minute people is what the iphone/touch is going to appeal to as a gaming device. I can guarantee that 2 years from now this discussion is going to a whole lot different.....

But with that said. If Apple thought the iPhone was supposed to be a gaming device as a BIG feature, why didn't they get EA to have some games out the chute? Like Madden and Tiger? They have them for the ipod and othe mobile devices. Gameloft too? Why didn't they have some titles read to hit the ground running? They need more titles plain and simple for them to be competitive with anyone.

BTW, the EA Monopoly is pretty cool and it allows wifi game play. Hopefully Madden soon.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    After playing a number of games on the iphone and having done so on the PSP, I don't think the game quality right now is on par, though load times on the iphone are much faster. Developers have mentioned how powerful the iphone is but it's not really. Even PSone quality games lag at intense scenes in games like Hero of Sparta.

Perhaps this just needs more optimization on the part of the developers as PSP titles took a while to improve graphics to the level they have now but the iphone seems to lag after a while.

The touch controls are frustrating in a lot of games. Brothers in Arms isn't terrible but the touch controls mean you can end up in open fire by it misinterpreting your button presses and it does quite often.

Accelerometer driving is dull and hard to control too. Touch controls don't really give you any reason to keep revisiting classic games over and over again like checkers, scrabble, monopoly etc. These games have been played to death.

One issue with game quality is to do with the app store. Games are typically no larger than 100MB to ensure good download speeds but PSP games are closer to 1GB. If they improve quality, they will lengthen download times.

I do think the iphone can be a powerful gaming device but the big console makers own a lot of the great franchises so we'll be left with junk games that nobody really wants to play.

Star Wars the Force Unleashed was put on there but it's rubbish compared to the PSP version. The racing games look like DS versions, crappy physics, textures etc.

It's too early to dismiss the iphone as a gaming platform as developers are just waking up to what it's capable of and really just making quick ports to see if it will be profitable. NFS undercover is coming this month so hopefully that will show better graphics quality.

I'd like to see games like Burnout, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell (these are very gesture based), Jak & Daxter, Lego Batman/Indiana Jones/Star Wars, GTA: Vice City Stories equivalent. If some of those franchises make it to the iphone and they are done well, the iphone will have made it as a rival to the other portable gaming devices.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Ummmm, the iPhone is not a console. It's not a box that sits on the floor and it doesn't connect to a TV.

con·sole

Pronunciation:

\\ˈkän-ˌsōl\\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

French

Date:

1: an architectural member projecting from a wall to form a bracket or from a keystone for ornament

2: console table

3 a: an upright case that houses the keyboards and controlling mechanisms of an organ and from which the organ is played b: a combination of readouts or displays and an input device (as a keyboard or switches) by which an operator can monitor and interact with a system (as a computer or dubber)

4 a: a cabinet (as for a radio or television set) designed to rest directly on the floor b: a small storage cabinet between bucket seats in an automobile

5: an electronic system that connects to a display (as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games

Apple called the iPod Touch the FUNNEST iPod ever. Do you think they really care that much about proper grammar and linguistics? Next year there will be a sixth definition for console: A handheld gaming device. Once Steve says it, it will be so.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple has already sold 44.1 million iPods through 2008. Generally sells around 22 million during the Christmas quarter. Revenue for the iPod has risen while unit sales have not. It is expected that the Touch is the reason.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

The Wii and DS outpace the iPhone in just two countries. You can throw in the iPod touch, but remember that Europe is currently the biggest territory for the DS and very close to the US for the Wii. This shouldn't be surprising considering the relative hurdles in having to buy an iPhone and the price differentials. I can throw in numbers for Canada, Australia, South Korea and so forth if I spent the time and researched, but it's not worth it considering the US and Japan alone drive my argument to be correct. DS and Wii and are likely to break the 20 Million barrier when all of 2008 is finally considered. Maybe even 25 Million barrier.

In other words, it's not likely for the touch and iPhone to outsell either of these machines.

• Reply 38 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple has already sold 44.1 million iPods through 2008. Generally sells around 22 million during the Christmas quarter. Revenue for the iPod has risen while unit sales have not. It is expected that the Touch is the reason.

Revenue rose by 3% this last quarter, which is not indicative of anything regarding the touch because Apple's also shipped/sold more iPods than ever in a non-holiday quarter.

It also doesn't help that I quoted actual sales from Media Create and NPD while Apple's numbers are shipments. I used a Nintendo PDF document which contained shipments, but the Wii is consistently sold out everywhere except Japan anyway.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    The ironic part is that the Imagination inc. PowerVR "MBX lite" in the iPhone/Touch is very weak in comparison to their latest chips. The reason why the iPhone looks so good is probably the OpenGL optimization and the fact that the competing Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP units are very old in computing terms. The new generation from Imagination is the PowerVR "SGX" line, and it has actually been out for quite a while now! If they combine an PowerVR SGX with the new ARM Cortex-A8 core for the next iPhone/Touch, it is going to blow away what we're seeing now!
  • Reply 40 of 121
    A lot of people would say that tactile feedback is critical for a superior game playing experience.

I'm not much of a graphics guy, but why doesn't some one create a 'drop in' console for the iphone/touch?

Something really light. I'm thinking something like (but just for explanation purposes) a PSP with the screen hollowed out and you just drop your phone/touch into the cavity resting on a thin back plate and you are good to go - as the console would recognise it via the dock connector activating the PSP style dpads on either side.

You could play right there like a PSP game or it could connect wirelessly to your Apple TV (using the iphone/touch wifi) and/or Airtunes for stereo sound..

Maybe someone has already invented it, but I couldn't see anything on a quick google search.. but people carry the PSP around now, so the size wouldn't be a big drawback, particularly if it is really light (it wouldn't need batteries as it would draw off the phone/touch).

If someone rang while you were playing you could answer via microphone headphones that you were using to play, or simply remove the phone/touch with a single click on the release lock and answer...