Apple unveils 17-inch MacBook Pro with 8-hour battery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 236
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WTF- a frk'n battery was the best thing in the keynote?

Did Apple invent the battery now too?

You have to admit, it's one impressive sounding battery
  • Reply 22 of 236
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree on both accounts.

I see no reason why Apple doesn't offer the 7200 RPM 500 HDD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Thank god the 17 inch MacBook Pro have anti-glare display. This will save us the whining (at least today).

I still can't believe that Apple is not offering a 500GB HDD for MacBook Pro line.

• Reply 23 of 236
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Anti-glare! FINALLY a MacBook Pro worthy of the name.

8GB RAM - beautiful!

What's the skinny on the colour gamut of the panel?

It says 'desktop-quality', but in the Tech Specs it says 'millions' rather than 16.7 million which is the giveaway that it's still relying on visual trickery.

Is 'desktop-quality' just another Appleism like 'server-grade' hard disks?

2.3 million pixels of perfection, according to Apple's website.
  • Reply 24 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

That's an odd thing to say after they just did one hardware update, and not even a full product line.

I expected two hardware updates and got barely one. That's not overly high expectations, that's just lame.

A little lame, probably so, but hardly worst ever.

The Macmini's, MacPro's, and iMacs will probably all be here within 12 weeks.
  • Reply 25 of 236
    What it appears to indicate to me is that the antiglare display is not the glass in other Macs but the same old same old when it comes to plastic "glass" that requires arsenic as an additive. What I'm seeing in that picture is not the single sheet of glass covering the whole thing but rather the traditional bezel with the display retracted slightly.

I'll be looking out to see if I'm wrong. I hope I am, because if I'm not it means the long-term future of antiglare in LCD flat panels still has a question mark on it.
  • Reply 26 of 236
    ncbillncbill Posts: 17member
    A nearly $3,000 computer in the midst of the worst recession since WWII.

Whither the $600 Mac mini?
  • Reply 27 of 236
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree it was the worst MacWorld ever.

I missed it but I believe you. Was not this MWSF announced as being the last one? So no surprise it was the worst too.
  • Reply 28 of 236
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    oh well, I am looking forward to the quarterly results more than I was this keynote anyway. It should be quite an intense show.
  • Reply 29 of 236
    The 17 is a knockout. Stellar battery life. An approach to the battery that makes the permanent built-in aspect totally worth it. I hope they do the same thing to the 15 in the next update.

Because a large part of the boost in battery life is to do with more sophisticated technology in the controller in the battery itself, I wonder if Apple can get on it with providing better batteries for both the current 15 and 13 inch unibody models and previous generation MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

The desktops are MIA. Hopefully Apple will quickly do a refresh of all of them.

The thing I'm really surprised by is no mention of Snow Leopard. Maybe they're looking at scheduling a special event here in a month or two, maybe a SteveNote once they have him all fattened up again for the cameras.
  • Reply 29 of 236
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not for what was not released at the show as I'm expecting Apple to milk the next couple of months with spaced out releases. No what I'm disappointed with is the continued use of Lithium batteries and the issues with them. I was really hoping Apple would have moved beyond this tech to something safer.

We will see how this pans out, but it would be very bad if these batteries exhibit the same issues that Lithium batteries have had for ages.

Dave
  • Reply 31 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

A little lame, probably so, but hardly worst ever.

If not, then which year rolled out less?
  • Reply 32 of 236
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Use the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI to connect to a 30-inch display, such as a 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD, and enjoy the ultimate widescreen canvas with a resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels.

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter [Add $99.00]

Give me a f'n break!
  • Reply 33 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

Anyone notice that the Anti-Glare 17'' MBP doesn't have the black border?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

Click the enlarged image under graphics in full force

Awesome!

Or to put it another way:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/imag...2-20090106.jpg

Glad they listened about the matte screens. Can we have that as a BTO option for iMacs too please?
  • Reply 34 of 236
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Lame MWSF.

Steve passed the torch to Phil to avoid the embarrassment of announcing no big deal products.

I guess Apple indeed did not like MWSF anymore. What a horrible way to end the keynotes experience there.

Hopefully soon a special event will bring what we are really looking for.
  • Reply 35 of 236
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Horrible show...

Just a MacBook Pro?

What happened to all these new hardware coming out???

I hope these new softwares can run on our aging fleet of Mac's!

Mac mini - VERY OLD

iMac - OLD

Mac Pro - VERY OLD

They didn't even bring the prices down on these old products... Apple will give sales to PCs if they don't bring out new hardware ASAP! And if they do... THE WORLD WAS WATCHING TODAY AT MACWORLD EXPO! They should have done it with a BANG! I guess Steve (God Bless him) but his health has put a damper on Apple... That means without him Apple is in deep trouble... It's no wonder Phil did the show... All about software and one hardware - YAH!

We still have 5 months to WWDC 09 and 12 months until next year

I don't think they need to mention every single hardware update. The iMac is behind mainly in the graphic card configuration. My guess is that Apple will hold a special event for the Mini, Mac Pro, and iMac upgrades sometime in the next 2 to 3 months.
  • Reply 36 of 236
    jbellajbella Posts: 29member
    This is exactly why Apple is no longer going to do MacWorld. Some third party company decides that early in January Apple has to have to have some killer products ready to wow everyone with. If they don't absolutely blow the socks off everyone, it will be deemed a failure and a bad omen for the company's fiscal year.

Who needs that?

Another point I'd like to make is that while Apple's hardware has always been pretty sexy.. I get just as excited over their software. Having a young daughter the new iLife updates are exactly what I was looking for. Especially the iMovie and face recognition feature of iPhoto.
  • Reply 37 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

If not, then which year rolled out less?

idk. Certainly several before the second steve jobs era were worse, and in recent history, off the top of my head I'd say the keynote that featured iCards, and they keynote with the flower power / blue dalmation iMacs.
  • Reply 38 of 236
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    This is probably Apple's best product.

Me likes the Anti-Glare
  • Reply 39 of 236
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

A nearly $3,000 computer in the midst of the worst recession since WWII.

I was thinking the exact same thing- could they be any more off their rockers?
  • Reply 40 of 236
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I don't really understand why people are so disappointed. .

Oh I don't know. Maybe its the Mac mini which hasn't been updated since... I'm not even sure. It's been maybe two years?

What about no quad core machines unless you get a Mac Pro? And no Nehalem machines?

I'm sure that Apple will have some 'special' event in 60-90 days. But really, the wait is getting ridiculous for next generation (quad core cpus, Nehalem, cutting edge graphics chips) hardware in Macs.

Its legendary how SJ felt frustrated by the lack of progress in PPC chips (3.0 ghz G5 anyone?) yet even now when on the Intel platform they drag their feet in updating machines to the latest and greatest.

Who's to blame now? IBM?