Apple unveils 17-inch MacBook Pro with 8-hour battery

Comments

• Reply 101 of 236
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I see no reason why Apple doesn't offer the 7200 RPM 500 HDD.

Samsung has a 512 GB @ 5400 RPM. I know of no source in this size @ 7200.

In addition, Samsung is perhaps the sole source for the 512 GB disks, at least in any quantity. With just a sole source, it could be very difficult for Apple to satisfy all customer orders and to bargain on price... a double whammy.
  • Reply 102 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Question: is it a single 256GB SSD, or two 128GBs? Also, do we know if the "anti-glare" display is glass-less, or rather a glare-reducing coat? Theres a difference.

>>> Its a single Solid State (SSD) drive with 256 gigabits on it. Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.....Stick to the normal hard drives and let the others be the guinea pigs for 12 months...
  • Reply 103 of 236
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

Yes I agree that a special even is what we are looking for. Since I bought the 15" MPB only in November I am glad that Blu-Ray is still a bag of hurt. Would have been pissed if it showed up this time. A special event with Steve on stage will be a treat. If all goes a predicted with his treatment, perhaps we can see something in six months or so.

Bag of hurt? My A#%!

Blu-ray record sales this holiday season in a recession no less.
  • Reply 104 of 236
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    [QUOTE=AppleEater;1358754]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a crap keynote, no new iMacs, WTF is up with that, no new mini's no new Apple TV.

...WTF exactly ...? hat to sound conspiratorial - but there really are problems in Cupertino !

Why because they didn't bring out all that you wanted.
  • Reply 105 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleEater View Post

What a bloody let down. I have an image of Steve Jobs sitting in his oxygen tent with his circle of cronies laughing as they discuss MacWord, the next Pixar cartoon, and if they should invest in the Tesla Electric Sports Car. Shame on you Steve !

MacWorld 2009 was a big ole "bag of hurt"!
  • Reply 106 of 236
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Not to pick on you personally, but the hyperbole on this thread is super-duper waay out of control.

"Worst keynote ever?" Come on.

It was pretty much exactly the same as any of Steve's presentations. Heck the wording was almost the same. It's just a script and anyone can read it. The introduction of two new software suites is hardly nothing.

The new iWork seems to add most everything that was "missing" making it a serious competitor to Office now. For instance Pages has mail merge which is the only feature in Word that was stopping our University from adopting it and sending Microsoft Office out to pasture.

The online component is also a massive deal.

If it wasn't for Engadget making all those stupid remarks on their coverage and failing to actually, you know, cover the details of the presentation people wouldn't be bitching so much I guess.

Great stuff.

We have been watching the videos here at the university and virtually everything is getting two thumbs up.

You are right. iWork.com is a massive deal. Just tried it out. Free for 120 days. Workiing f'king beautifully. Lots of new stuff. Guys are drooling over Numbers. Keynote better than ever. And Pages, 'outling' is great.

But iWorks.com. Fantastic.
  • Reply 107 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

NEXT generation?!? Apart from Nehalem, which Intel has intentionally delayed, you're talking about LAST generation stuff. Intel has been offering consumer priced quad core processors for two years already.

Cutting edge graphics chips in a Mac? Hahahahahaha. Apple has never been less than a full generation behind the PC world in that department. Currently their desktops are two full generations behind on the hardware side and further on the driver side.

It's now rather obvious that Apple wanted to make their last Macworld one to forget.

Maybe they'll actually do something to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Mac on January 24th. I won't be getting my hopes up though. All that's likely is a desktop refresh that would have been underwhelming back in November. Apple seems proud of the fact that they can sell ancient hardware at premium prices.

So then don't buy it, simple as that.
  • Reply 108 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Great stuff.

We have been watching the videos here at the university and virtually everything is getting two thumbs up.

You are right. iWork.com is a massive deal. Just tried it out. Free for 120 days. Workiing f'king beautifully. Lots of new stuff. Guys are drooling over Numbers. Keynote better than ever. And Pages, 'outling' is great.

But iWorks.com. Fantastic.

Come on - what major corporation besides Apple uses Numbers?

It's an Excel/Office world.

And if they seriously want to take over - where is the Windows version????
  • Reply 109 of 236
    Quote:

Their can be performance gains under certain circumstances. But their is no gain for most software.

That's exactly what I said. I'm glad you finally agree with me - YES there are performance gains. I'm not sure why you keep going on about this.

Quote:

Their is no reason for Apple to rush out quad core machines at this point for the extremely few who would do use them.

That stinks of the old "if I dont' want it apple shouldn't sell it".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tlyx View Post

Wouldn't it be better to quote what Phil Schiller said at the presentation than use a press release? It is bit confusing to see Steve Jobs' name everywhere. And poor Phil that did the hard work and isn't recognised for it.

Either way, AI isn't "wrong" nor do they need to get glasses as said in the post I responded to.

Quote:

Why because they didn't bring out all that you wanted.

No, because they announced less than they have at a keynote in years.
  • Reply 110 of 236
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

With all due respect Flounder - when consumer oriented hardware ages this much normal people (around the world) flush with cash for big ticket items like the one family PC will jump on the first Quad-Core i7 chip based PC that hits the market. News clips exist of DELL, HP, and my mother lining up and waiting for Intel to sell them the next chip innards fr use in their PCs which will come in Feb-2009. It don't matter if you like iWork and iLife and iUnderwear....its sexy hardware that will entice people to buy it and then find what they can use it for. Apple as usual have it ass-backwards.

You're off your rocker. The typical consumer flush with cash has no clue what i7 is, much less knows to go looking for it. Processor specs are getting less and less important in the computer purchasing calculus.
  • Reply 111 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You're off your rocker. The typical consumer flush with cash has no clue what i7 is, much less knows to go looking for it. Processor specs are getting less and less important in the computer purchasing calculus.

Well said dude, most computers are fast enough what people want to do with their computers, specs are going to become more and more irrelevant.
  • Reply 112 of 236
    This was not the worst Macworld keynote ever, if you think back to the one where Jobs dinked around in iLife for an eternity. Was that 2005, when many people were anticipating a G5 notebook?
  • Reply 113 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Guys are drooling over Numbers.

Is Numbers '09 any less buggy than its predecessor which is hardly a program to rely on?
  • Reply 114 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Because many of us didn't buy machines for the holidays because they haven't been updated in months and are woefully outdated?

I wasn't really talking about the people here on the forum who would know not to buy since a hardware refresh is around the corner.

I was mainly talking about the 3.4 million per store, or all these people I saw in this city walking around with new MBs.

You do have a point though, but I guess either way, people wouldn't be happy.
  • Reply 115 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

This was not the worst Macworld keynote ever, if you think back to the one where Jobs dinked around in iLife for an eternity. Was that 2005, when many people were anticipating a G5 notebook?

If there was one that bad, it wasn't 2005, there were plenty of announcements that year.
  • Reply 116 of 236
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple did fine by introducing crowd-pleasing updates to their software (and they really are fine updates for the home user) and a minimal hardware intro. It would be insane for them to expect consumers to slap down thousands on something radically new under the current economy. This will hold over 95% of Apple users until next time.
  • Reply 117 of 236
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17in...ch.html#medium

if you watch the video, it shows some nice shots of the underside. 8 screws and the back cover is off for easy upgrade to the hard drive and memory. Not bad.
  • Reply 118 of 236
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Personally, I feel that this was the best Macworld in a while. The last two were pretty anemic, but the battery tech and especially the iWork updates sold me.
  • Reply 119 of 236
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I find the 17" MBP a weird choice to roll out at this event. How much of a consumer device is that anyway?? I have to say, it's the one Mac I find myself least likely to ever buy. I'm sure plenty of people want it, I'm just curious as to who they are. Who are you 17" MBP buyers????

I agree, it's not really a consumer-oriented system.

It's mainly for creative pros and software developers who travel a lot. For people who want a laptop which is as close to a desktop setup as you can get performance-wise and screen real estate-wise. For whom the extra cost is justified by the time it will save them, and the comfort a larger screen will give them on the road.

So yeah, I'm very interested in it myself. Especially the capacity for 8GB of RAM. Pretty much allows me to take something close to my home office setup (Mac Pro w/ 8GB of RAM, dual monitors) on the road with me.
  • Reply 120 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be insane for them to expect consumers to slap down thousands on something radically new under the current economy.

And yet they upgraded their most expensive $2799 laptop instead of the $599 mini? The economy seems to be the last thing on their minds.