A closer look at Apple's advanced notebook battery tech

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cggr View Post

I think there must be a middle ground - why not have a built-in AND swappable battery - retain the flexibility and the baseline built-in battery.

I just think that innovation for innovation's sake isnt neccessarlty a good or beneficial thing for anyone...

1) Battery lasts longer than most people keep notebooks.

2) Battery lasts more than double most competitor's notebook batteries.

3) Extra batteries are probably one of the least popular accessories.

4) If people are unlikely to buy a 2nd battery for a notebook with 5 hours real world usage, then it stands to reason that people will be unlikely to buy a 2nd battery with 8 hours of real world usage.

This does not mean that an unlatching battery is not inconvenient, but you have to weigh the pros and cons. IF people don't change their batteries but would benefit from more juice, then the answer is pretty simple.
  • Reply 42 of 166
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    There are 2 distinct issues regarding the battery. First is that the battery is not designed for quick swapping. Instead, replacing the battery requires unscrewing the entire bottom panel. But this is also required for accessing the RAM or hard drive. So accessing the battery should be no more complicated than accessing the RAM and hard drive.

The much bigger issue is Apple requiring that battery replacements be done only at Apple service centers. Apple can claim a 5 year battery life, and Mac fanboys can claim that their Mac never breaks. Does that mean technicians in Apple service centers are just sitting around every day with nothing to do? There will certainly be batteries that need to be replaced a lot sooner. Many people don't realize that Mac laptop batteries are only covered by the original 1 year warranty. Purchasing AppleCare for the laptop does not extend coverage for the battery. So there will be situations where people need to pay for a new battery even though the laptop is still under warranty. Sure, some third parties will probably sell do-it-yourself replacement kits. But will these do-it-yourself kits void the warranty on the laptop?

Apple defenders can rationalize all they want about less space, fewer latches, etc. But none of that is a defense for Apple threatening to void people's warranty unless the battery is replaced by Apple. Apple does not void warranty if people install their own RAM, even though accessing RAM also requires removing the entire bottom panel of the laptop. Since the battery is right next to the RAM, why should Apple void warranty for one but not the other? Apple could provide instructions in the owner's manual for removing the panel and replacing the battery just like they do for the RAM, along with the usual disclaimer about damaged parts not being covered under warranty. Unless Apple means to tell us that installing RAM or a hard drive in new 17 inch MBP will void the warranty?
  • Reply 43 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Here's a thought ...

I don't really believe these folks really even exist, but if there *are* people out there (as some people here are arguing), that need to have three or even four batteries for their laptops and swap them back and forth ....

... they should be damned ashamed of themselves.

I should be ashamed of myself for planning ahead and not always being near a power outlet?
  • Reply 44 of 166
    boerboer Posts: 16member
    A "relatively huge" battery? I sure loves my new huger battery!
  • Reply 45 of 166
    Up to 8 hrs, is like Starting From... Both are Marketing Approximations, and are likely to be rosier then reality... It depends on how many apps are running at the same time etc., type of usage varies, as well how bright the screen is, or if Blue Tooth is on etc.

But, even if the reality is TRUE 5-6 HOURS no matter how hard one is running this MBP Unibody 17', than it's still GREAT!

NYC to Tokyo is 14 hrs? How likely is one to WORK 6-8 of those hours, or to use those to watch 3 x 2hrs movies?

14hrs minus 6-8 of those hours = leaves 6 or 8 for SLEEP, and FOOD! People on those flight are gonna need both, and badly, to compensate for time change!

Also, if one is taking an EARLY flight, after not enough sleep, how eager would they be to WORK on that machine? They'd be trying to steal some SLEEP?

Or, if it's a LATE FLIGHT, they'd try to get in some SLEEP too!

Everywhere else, except for OURDOORS (Jungle, Desert) they'd have power in the car, bus, train, so that the batter is not an issue!!! But if it's serious OURDOORS, then they'd carry some PORTABLE POWER, Solar, or GENERATORS, so...

Up to 8 hrs = TRUE 5-6 HOURS no matter how hard one is running this MBP Unibody 17', than it's still GREAT!

Of course, after YEARS of always worrying about running out of battery power it understandable why people would be concerned... But, like I already mentioned earlier, SOMEONE will make PARTABLE EXTERNAL PACKS for this, and the problem solved for next time one is in the jungle!

The other Q is WHAT COUNTS AS A CYCLE! If one starts charging at 50% is that ONE CYCLE or HALF a CYCLE?

If HALF, like is supposedly the case with iPhone 3G, then this battery will last LONGER than 1000 : 365 (1 day = 1 Cycle) = 2.739726, and in THEORY, if 1/2 Cycle per 1 Day, it's 2.739726 x 2 = 5.479452 = Almost 5.5 YEARS?! So, even if it's 4 TRUE YEARS! - it's pretty good, right? Then, a few screws, and the SAME or BETTER BATTERY could go in for 1/2 the price, or at least LESS than what it is TODAY!!!

As USUAL, the Devil is in DETAILS, right!?

Also, with FW400 gone, we'd need Converter Cables. I am thinking about my Optura 30 MiniDV Camcorder (2004-2005)

What's the NEXT BIG THING? WiMax, LTE, 3G Built In? And how badly will they eat THIS battery, or whatever follows it?

Then we'll have another article here, and a few more INSULTS! Hey Mac users are supposed to be a PASSIONATE BUNCH, so I guess it's normal, but I'd still rather not see INSULTS !

HAPPY UPGRADES TO ALL !!!!
  • Reply 46 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

r. Many people don't realize that Mac laptop batteries are only covered by the original 1 year warranty.

That isn't true! Apple's batteries have been covered for 2 years and even if you were outside of the 2 year replacement I've read that Apple was still replacing them.

If your battery is dying l before 1000 cycles they will replace it. They advertise a certain number of cycles and a legitimate lawsuit (for once) would easily be made if the battery failed to love up to their claims.
  • Reply 47 of 166
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

MacBook Air? Apparently lots of people. It amuses me how many people second guess Apple. Are they perfect? No. Do they buck traditional convention such as the need for removable batteries? Yes. Will it pay off for them? Sure looks like it. While your whining about it, people are going to line up to buy a notebook that doesn't need a removable battery.

Hate to break it to you, but the MacBook Air sales are considered "lousy" at best. They had initial hype sales, but have seriously dropped off since. The Air is a failure like the cube.
  • Reply 48 of 166
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cggr View Post

Sorry - I really have to disagree with those who seriously entertain the idea that a non-replaceable battery is a good idea in a professional computer. Professionals use these devices as tools to do real work. On planes. On trains. On the move. If the battery runs out thats it - have to find a power point. The iphone design makes it difficult to use as someone who uses a phone all day during the workday. I have had to buy 2 iphones just so that I can make it through the day using the iphone as my primary phone. To use a non-replaceable battery in an energy-hungry monster like the 17" macbook pro seems really crazy. At the end of its charging cycle when it only lasts 2 - 3 hours you will have to wait to have the battery changed over - what so your primary work machine is out of action for 2 - 3 days or longer just so a battery can be changed? If you are finishing off a last minute piece of work and the battery dies you cant quickly swap in a new one? If it dies during a presentation in front of a room full of clients and you cant swap a battery in and have left the power cable at home?

Non-replacable batteries are a disastrous direction for apple - if they are marketing to mobile professionals. All of these situations arise in real-world usage. what they should be targeting is cheap and long-lasting replaceable versions of this high-density Li-polymer battery. By all means make the cheap laptops use these batteries - but for pros who actually use them to make a living - sorry - but we need the flexibility and ability to get out of trouble with a new battery on the fly - however rare its required.

This just sounds nonsensical to me.

Assuming Apple is right about the specs, (or as right as they were about previous specs), then you are complaining that after five years, you will lose maybe 2 or 3 days of time getting your battery replaced? And further that you somehow might not see this coming??? Remotely possible I guess, but it's silly to make out like this is some kind of big deal "problem."

IMO, all of your scenarios seem to involve stupidity on the part of the person using the computer.

In one, the user takes a five year old 17" laptop to a crucial presentation after not noticing that the battery is not charging right for weeks previous to the presentation.

In another you assume that a person has travelled to a hugely important meeting, brought their laptop, left the power adapter at home and that the meeting place has no laptops and no adapters.

In a third, you assume the user is so immersed in their work (presumably in a park or on a train cause they are using battery power only), that they don't see the many low power warnings, the attempts of the system to shut itself down before data is lost etc. and continue to work until the power is lost and their presentation is ruined???

None of these nightmare scenarios sound very plausible to me in any kind of real world situation unless the user is seriously stupid, or incompetent. In that case they pretty much deserve what they get.

The typical rule for travelling to another town or country to do a presentation for instance, is to take the presentation with you in multiple forms and to expect *not* to be able to use your own laptop as half the time the hall where you are speaking doesn't have the right hook-ups or power or the kid doing the tech support isn't there etc. To go willy-nilly to an important meeting, not check that you have a power cord, not have the presentation saved on a disk etc. is just crazy and doesn't qualify (to me) as an actual problem. At best it's a problem entirely of your own creation.

Five years from now, when the 17" laptop's battery is failing and your main scenario could take place, your presentation data is likely going to be in the cloud or maybe even on your phone. Heck I did a presentation last month where I was missing some crucial data I left at home. I used "Back to My Mac" to go into my home computer remotely and dragged the files over. What are the odds that even more fantastical methods are available in five years time?
  • Reply 49 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

But, even if the reality is TRUE 5-6 HOURS no matter how hard one is running this MBP Unibody 17', than it's still GREAT!

They state that it is with WiFi and under normal use, but of course normal varies per user. We'll see actual usage from various sites when the notebook gets reviewed. Apple has been using this current realistic technique for measuring battery duration for some time now, and it's pretty accurate, with some sites reporting getting more than what Apple claims. Sony is apparently going to follow suit with the same battery measuring system. I forget the names of the systems that OEMs use, but I'll try to locate it.

A 14 hour flight would fare well as WiFi would be off and the screen would brightness could be turned down as the cabin is often dimmed for extended periods to accommodate sleepers. Unless you are an idiot who decides to play movies from a DVD or doesn't turn off any of the radios then I would expect at least 8 hours from the battery.

Quote:

The other Q is WHAT COUNTS AS A CYCLE! If one starts charging at 50% is that ONE CYCLE or HALF a CYCLE?

Cycles are prorated. If you only use 20% before you recharge, then every 5 charges will be a single cycle.
  • Reply 50 of 166
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I should be ashamed of myself for planning ahead and not always being near a power outlet?

No, for filling up the landfill with useless toxic batteries and causing a hundred dodgy Chinese companies to produce said batteries. I was also tying the effort/environmental impact to a subjective assessment of how necessary a person's computing needs are in that situation. I'm guessing (and it's an educated guess), that the work is simply not as crucial as you are making out it is. If you just need to be entertained, airplanes do have in flight movies and so on, and there are those "book" things.

Now reply with how you are the *one* guy that actually safely recycles his batteries in the proper manor. I won't believe you but you can say it anyway.

You can also try "Those batteries would be manufactured whether I buy them or not." and "I'm sure the battery companies use environmentally sound practices." or the ever popular "If company A pollutes the environment it's not my problem just because I buy their products, it's theirs."

• Reply 51 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

No, for filling up the landfill with useless toxic batteries and causing a hundred dodgy Chinese companies to produce said batteries. I was also tying the effort/environmental impact to a subjective assessment of how necessary a person's computing needs are in that situation. I'm guessing (and it's an educated guess), that the work is simply not as crucial as you are making out it is. If you just need to be entertained, airplanes do have in flight movies and so on, and there are those "book" things.

Now reply with how you are the *one* guy that actually safely recycles his batteries in the proper manor. I won't believe you but you can say it anyway.

You can also try "Those batteries would be manufactured whether I buy them or not." and "I'm sure the battery companies use environmentally sound practices." or the ever popular "If company A pollutes the environment it's not my problem just because I buy their products, it's theirs."

It's all for entertainment purposes. I travel for myself, not for work. Traveling has gobs of pollutions associated with it, I bet more than a single extra battery that eventually ends up in landfill every few years. I do have a book, it's called an eBook, yet another device with a battery.

But you are right, I have NEVER disposed of a CE battery in any way. I've either gotten a replacement from the company or I buy new equipment (usually every 2nd update cycles for notebooks) and pass on my old stuff. Do I care about the environment? Sure! Do I care enough not to travel or buy the toys I want? Newp!
  • Reply 52 of 166
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh I see- so innovation means like no Matte screens, no Blu-ray, no Fire wire, no MMS pics, no Video capture on their phone, no small laptops????

Idiots like you that want to lug around an oversized $3,000 tin cookie baking sheet look just like that - moronic.

I'm continually amazed that you are always here hanging out with us "morons"...

Are you sure Apple isn't beleaguered?

Thing is, Blue Ray is a flop in the US, firewire deleted on the MacBook was stupid but it looks like they ran out of physical room, MMS doesn't matter since I have email, but if you really want to you can use one the plethora of MMS to email gateways. You can hack the iPhone to do video and guess what - it sucks battery life and the quality stinks too. I do agree the lack of small laptops is annoying - I finally gave up waiting for a true replacement to my PB G4 12" and got a 15" MacBook Pro - I enjoy the power of the laptop, but I would like it better if it was the width of the keyboard (chop off 4"). Apple isn't perfect, but for me their overall experience is much better then any other manufacturers and it's why I use them. It's not blind allegiance or simple brand loyalty - I didn't buy one mac during the sucky performa days, and if they start screwing up again I will have no problem switching to something better if/when it ever appears.

So far that hasn't happened, so here I remain.
  • Reply 53 of 166
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Hate to break it to you, but the MacBook Air sales are considered "lousy" at best. They had initial hype sales, but have seriously dropped off since. The Air is a failure like the cube.

Citation needed - as far as I know Apple doesn't release individual product sales stats.

And it was such a failure that they refreshed it? Oh yeah, just like the cube
  • Reply 54 of 166
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm going to chime in with my .02.

When I first heard this rumor I /facepalmed. I couldn't believe apple was going to install an internal battery and not a removable one. I was bitching with all the rest of them.

After reading some posts and thinking about it, I actually feel this is a smart move. It will prevent batteries from ending up in landfills in massive quantities, it will give the user a longer battery charge, it will slim down the notebook, and it can be a little more efficient in design and control.

With that being said, I want to make it clear to the nay-sayers on this I was on your side. I have had to replace 2 batteries on my mbp, 1 on my 867, and 1 on my 1.25. There has been issues with the battery expanding through the trackpad and ruining the whole laptop! I have got kernel panics from bad batteries, I have had batteries die out on me after 3 weeks. It sucks. I know. I've been there!

With all that being said... I don't think it will be a bad thing to have the battery be inside the laptop. These new cases are much easier to take apart than the old cases. Apple would probably gladly replace your battery for you under warranty if yours goes bad. Apple probably wouldn't charge much to replace it if it is out of warranty. The battery would be cheaper since it won't be in a casing.

I'm tech savy enough that I feel comfortable enough taking my laptop apart and putting a new battery in myself. I think a lot of you can accomplish that. All in all, as long as it's easy to swap when something bad happens, I'm all for it. I hope this post changes some opinions. Just stop and think about it for a bit. It's really not that bad of an idea.
  • Reply 55 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Citation needed - as far as I know Apple doesn't release individual product sales stats.

And it was such a failure that they refreshed it? Oh yeah, just like the cube

The sales on mba have been sub-par. Nothing to write home about, yet not that bad. When I was at wwdc 08 I saw 2 the whole time I was there. The fact is, they are a secondary computer. That really is what they were designed for. Numbers or not, it's obvious the sales on the mba are lower than the rest of the machines.
  • Reply 56 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

The sales on mba have been sub-par. Nothing to write home about, yet not that bad. When I was at wwdc 08 I saw 2 the whole time I was there. The fact is, they are a secondary computer. That really is what they were designed for. Numbers or not, it's obvious the sales on the mba are lower than the rest of the machines.

Being lower than other Mac notebooks does mean they are "lousy at best" as Rain tries to paints despite having no proof or even any empirically derived logic to back up his claim.

The 17" MBP on Amazon is #175 in PC Laptops, while all the MBAs, including the original models, are ranked at #45, 77, 131, & 136. We'll see the 17" model up go considerably when they start selling later this month, but to say that MBA is flop when even the original MBAs are well above the only 17" MBP is just hyperbolic FUD.
  • Reply 57 of 166
    I never called them a flop, nor "lousy at best". I was just pointing out they haven't been great. The last time the 17" macbook pro was updated was quite some time ago. And you really are comparing apples and oranges with the mba vs mbp 17. A better comparison would be the mb. I agree there is some thirst for it, but I just don't see it like I see all the others. I've already seen more unibody mbps more than I've seen mbas. It's all relative.
  • Reply 58 of 166
    Quote:

I never called them a flop, nor "lousy at best". I was just pointing out they haven't been great. The last time the 17" macbook pro was updated was quite some time ago. And you really are comparing apples and oranges with the mba vs mbp 17. A better comparison would be the mb. I agree there is some thirst for it, but I just don't see it like I see all the others. I've already seen more unibody mbps more than I've seen mbas. It's all relative.

Rain stated the sales were "lousy at best" as I clearly stated above. Comparing the sales of the MBA and the 17" MBP on Amazon is more congruent as both are expensive, high-end Mac notebooks positioned toward a niche market. The 15" MBP and 13" MB are not niche Macs. I also pointed out that the 17" MBP sales ranking will increase after they are release, thus I included sales of the original MBA, too. Simply thinking that because both have a 13" display means that they should have equivalent sales is not logical.
  • Reply 59 of 166
    It wasn't the displays being the reason. It was the whole computer. Spec to spec they are the most similar notebooks that apple releases across the line. I haven't seen many 17" mbps in my day other. I don't see how you can compare a 17" mbp and mba just because they are niche. They serve two completely different groups. In order to have a good result you need a common test bed / group. While I don't think they've been a total flop, I don't think they were what apple was expecting them to be. They have been non-existant here. I'd love to see a #'s breakdown.

Didn't see the Rain part.
  • Reply 60 of 166
    Quote:

It wasn't the displays being the reason. It was the whole computer. Spec to spec they are the most similar notebooks that apple releases across the line. I haven't seen many 17" mbps in my day other. I don't see how you can compare a 17" mbp and mba just because they are niche. They serve two completely different groups. In order to have a good result you need a common test bed / group. While I don't think they've been a total flop, I don't think they were what apple was expecting them to be. They have been non-existant here. I'd love to see a #'s breakdown.

Didn't see the Rain part.

The specs aren't very similar between the MBA and MB. The MBA's Small Form Factor CPU costs more than the MB's. The high-end MB's 2.4GHz is $241, while the MBA's 1.6GHz is $284 and the 1.86GHz is $316. Since Apple is clearly buying a lot more of the MB's CPUs, the price will have even more of a difference as those prices are for lots of 1000. The display on the MB and MBA are also very different. Only the size is the same.

The point was that people seem to be clamoring for a 17" MBP, while others (maybe the same people) are calling the MBA a bad decision akin to the Cube, yet the sales currently show the MBA beating the 17" MBP by a large margin. Once the 17" MBP comes out and the initial rush has subsided will we find it still behind the MBA which is currently ranked at #46, which isn't bad for a "complete failure" by Apple?