Apple introduces iLife '09

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Google's Picasa Web Album has this feature and it wasn't able to recognize my kid's face a few years apart. What can you do if a face changes?

Might be able to force tag it. Given that it's a relatively new feature, probably using some pretty complicated analysis, I see the problem being addressed on the next version. Or if it's a simple fix, then on the next bug fix update.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    tranetrane Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Google's Picasa Web Album has this feature and it wasn't able to recognize my kid's face a few years apart. What can you do if a face changes?

I think Picasa didn't even match all the photos of my cousin from a single vantage point within 20 minutes of each other. The software is good, but it isn't superhuman.

I'd imagine what is done is that a set of faces are recognized automatically as being the same and one image "idea" is stored for that face, another set of the same person that are slightly different are recognized and a second image "idea" is stored for this "new" face. Now when you tell the program that both of those faces have the same name, future photos will be compared to every face "idea", and no matter which "idea" associated with that name is picked as a match it will still link back to the shared name.

So if you import all of your child's pictures from birth to college, it will, with your help, know a large variety of faces for that child. Each of us is unique though, so even though it may know 50 faces for your child's first twenty years, it will not confuse those with the billions of other possible faces.

I am pumped for this cool new feature... and desperately waiting because I almost ordered a new MacBook Pro on Monday but now want to make sure it will ship with the new iLife. No sense in paying $10 for it at this point.

- Trane
  • Reply 83 of 92
    tranetrane Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Might be able to force tag it. Given that it's a relatively new feature, probably using some pretty complicated analysis, I see the problem being addressed on the next version. Or if it's a simple fix, then on the next bug fix update.

You can manually (force) tag faces on the Picasa web site. I can't imagine this isn't an option in iPhoto '09 since manual geotagging is supported.

- Trane

oh, just watched the video that parky posted. It demonstrates manual face tagging.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    So much for late January as ship date. I just ordered iLife '09 and says ship date is February 10. Expected delivery Feb 16.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    I would presume that future updates to iPhoto will pick out and tag architectural structures and landscapes based on something approaching an iTunes "Genius" feature, with the additional benefit of cross-referencing GPS data.

Soon after, the ability to extract 3D data and create whole 3D scenes from multiple photos could follow (as is commonly done with photogrammetry functions in current 3D modeling software).

The future of iPhoto is pretty exciting.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Since there are no new features in iDVD '09, combine that with iDVD '08 having minimal updates, it reasonable to believe that iDVD may be dropped all together in the next iLife update?
  • Reply 87 of 92
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Since there are no new features in iDVD '09, combine that with iDVD '08 having minimal updates, it reasonable to believe that iDVD may be dropped all together in the next iLife update?

To be replaced with what exactly?

How do we make our DVDs?
  • Reply 88 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    iDVD is in maintainence mode clearly.

Apple's cast DVD off like a jilted lover. I think by iLife 10 the

Apple TV will be a cheaper and more prominent solution for home

video playback and MobileMe will allow for web streaming of content

obviating the need for sending a loved one or friend a DVD file.

The future is the Cloud and Apple's bringing the silver lining baby
  • Reply 89 of 92
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I can see iDVD and iMovie being merged.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    Here's a 2009 resolution for Apple. Don't release software or hardware you can't support with regular updates.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iDVD is in maintainence mode clearly.

Apple's cast DVD off like a jilted lover. I think by iLife 10 the

Apple TV will be a cheaper and more prominent solution for home

video playback and MobileMe will allow for web streaming of content

obviating the need for sending a loved one or friend a DVD file.

The future is the Cloud and Apple's bringing the silver lining baby

I for one will still want to make DVDs, so another application will have to be used if iDVD is removed.

Apple TV and Cloud delivery makes some pretty big assumptions and will limit viewing to a small number. People without an Apple TV or a fast internet connection are going to see nothing or low quality versions. Not a step forward in my eyes.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I for one will still want to make DVDs, so another application will have to be used if iDVD is removed.

Apple TV and Cloud delivery makes some pretty big assumptions and will limit viewing to a small number. People without an Apple TV or a fast internet connection are going to see nothing or low quality versions. Not a step forward in my eyes.

I see no reason why Apple should remove iDVD. The specification isn't changing so basically they just ensure it works with the rest of the suite and OS. I'm not saying DVD burning is going away but I think we'll all be surprised at how easily we sling big files around by 2012.