No new Mac Mini or iMac

13468912

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 240
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lxndr View Post


    This is in 2006, meaning that of all mac hardware related sales the mini adds up to 50%.......



    So the question whether the mac mini will be cancelled or not is answered.



    I'm pretty sure that Phil meant that the mini made 3/6 or 4/8 computer models running on intel, not 50% of the computers sold by Apple are minis.
  • Reply 102 of 240
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,448member
    Maybe this is why we didn't see the new macmini. Perhaps nvidia wanted to announce this first:



    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3478&p=1







    What do you guys think? Pretty impressive for such a small housing. Now putting an atom in the mac mini instead of a core2duo... that depresses me.
  • Reply 103 of 240
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 835member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post


    Personally, I'd just like to see things like processor speeds go up when faster processors become available, that's it.



    I would have to agree. I don't understand how they have certain designs/models last for a year at the same stagnant speed. Because to me I don't get how they even sell units during the last 3 months before an "Apple" refresh. Those last 3-4 months when you know it's going to get replaced the models at their prices just sit I would think. Also it never seems like Apple drops prices that much. Like after 6 months a $100 drop, then after 3 more months another $100.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    If Apple updates the mini to use a socketed processor with a modern chipset, you'll only be a few screws and a few hundred bucks away from a quad mini.



    That would be pretty hot (in a good way) to have a quad with a nvidia chipset too...



    Laters...
  • Reply 104 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMJH0712 View Post


    I agree with you there, if the new iMac would not be out until Feb - March, then a quite speed bump in November before the Christmas selling season would help those who could not wait 4 to 6 more months to get next significant updated iMac. The current iMac was released on April 28, 2008 so a speed bump in November would have been acceptable.



    I'm a newb so please bear with me.



    So it's likely that a new iMac,updated CPU and Graphics is likely or possibly likely to be announced sometime in March / April timeframe? So about 12 months from the last iMac update is about right?
  • Reply 105 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denholm View Post


    I'm a newb so please bear with me.



    So it's likely that a new iMac,updated CPU and Graphics is likely or possibly likely to be announced sometime in March / April timeframe? So about 12 months from the last iMac update is about right?



    I think they normally update iMac after 211 days.



    This website give pretty good idea:

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/



    I don't think they will ever reduced the prices unless new lines come up.



    Too bad, I was contemplating buying iMac...but I think I will go to XPS One.



    Honestly, Vista / XP aren't that bad....



    I've tried Vista for 8 months in my office and functionality is pretty darn good. (I'm not from Microsoft though...so relax)



    I am not happy with Apple Tax especially their pricing for Mac Mini. Rather than that, I would go to Asus.



    I adore Apple design, but their pricing is really hammered me down especially this time (I lost my house)

    I
  • Reply 106 of 240
    By the way, I was hoping that something will turn up on mac 25 anniversaries.



    I hope Steve Jobs is well and focusing all his energy on that day.



    Please Apple....new Mac mini, iMac, MacPro, Cinema Display, etc
  • Reply 107 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    Maybe this is why we didn't see the new macmini. Perhaps nvidia wanted to announce this first:





    What do you guys think? Pretty impressive for such a small housing. Now putting an atom in the mac mini instead of a core2duo... that depresses me.





    Yeah Atom....

    .but look it Nvidia....so many usb ports and connections. I really wish it run on Mac OsX Leopard
  • Reply 108 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMJH0712 View Post


    This is why Apple is leaving Macworld, they are not ready to announce new products that have been rumored to be introduced at the keynote. So when the keynote is given and no new Mac Mini or iMac everyone waiting for them is angry. If Phil announced the today shipping in February people would still be mad.



    So in a month or so apple will have a special event where they will announce updated Mac Mini, iMac and maybe the Mac Pro. Then later in the spring they will have a iPhone special event. I sure in the future many of Apple applications will be introduced at WWDC.



    With that said my wait for a new iMac better be worth it.



    I would NOT have been mad if they had shipped a new Mini February, I've been holding onto my money for some time time. The way I see it, should I get the rumored bonus in April, I'll buy then and it will probably be a iMac, (24") if no bonus, then I'll buy a Mini - no matter what generation. I've been using the same G4 eMac for 3 years and prior to that it was a G3 Slot loader iMac. I'll just be happy to be on an Intel Mac.
  • Reply 109 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post


    I would NOT have been mad if they had shipped a new Mini February, I've been holding onto my money for some time time. The way I see it, should I get the rumored bonus in April, I'll buy then and it will probably be a iMac, (24") if no bonus, then I'll buy a Mini - no matter what generation. I've been using the same G4 eMac for 3 years and prior to that it was a G3 Slot loader iMac. I'll just be happy to be on an Intel Mac.



    What would make me mad is if they went all stupid and put an ATOM processor in the new Mini - that would be a giant step backwards.
  • Reply 110 of 240
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A simple suggestion but one that people need to think about.
  • Reply 111 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    A simple suggestion but one that people need to think about.



    Let's hopes so...



    Beginning on January 18, Intel will launch three new Core 2 Quad processors with a TDP of just 65W. This is compared to a 95W TDP for most other Core 2 Quad processors.



    Hmm....Macmini Quad...



    C'mmon Steve: Makes us proud !
  • Reply 112 of 240
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haryanto2007 View Post


    Let's hopes so...



    Beginning on January 18, Intel will launch three new Core 2 Quad processors with a TDP of just 65W. This is compared to a 95W TDP for most other Core 2 Quad processors.



    Yep that is certainly a factor for the Mini if it stays in its current form factor.

    Quote:



    Hmm....Macmini Quad...



    C'mmon Steve: Makes us proud !



    From the marketing point of view you have the Superbowl coming up along with the Macs 25th. Of course it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good to debut hardware if the Intel hardware that goes into it is not available yet (as you pointed out above).



    I'm just surprised so many are so wrapped up in the fact that their preferred new hardware wasn't available in the first week of January. Instead people should focus on what is being developed and announced around Apple and what is happening on Tuesdays of each week.



    Dave
  • Reply 113 of 240
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Yep that is certainly a factor for the Mini if it stays in its current form factor.





    From the marketing point of view you have the Superbowl coming up along with the Macs 25th. Of course it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good to debut hardware if the Intel hardware that goes into it is not available yet (as you pointed out above).



    I'm just surprised so many are so wrapped up in the fact that their preferred new hardware wasn't available in the first week of January. Instead people should focus on what is being developed and announced around Apple and what is happening on Tuesdays of each week.



    Dave



    It's not a matter of hardware not being available in the first week of January, it's a matter of hardware that hasn't been updated in more than A WHOLE D**N YEAR.



    It's absolutely ridiculous for Apple to put off at least incremental updates of their hardware, or drop the price significantly. The current Mini Apple is selling can't be worth more than $200 and they're still selling it at the same price as when it first came out more than 500 days ago!!!!



    There's no excuse for Apple to be this far behind the ball on the mini update.
  • Reply 114 of 240
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    WRT the 2.5" drive in the mini: it may not be much of an issue in Q3 of this year.
  • Reply 115 of 240
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post


    There's no excuse for Apple to be this far behind the ball on the mini update.



    Well, they've moved from white iMac to silver, I think think MBA, updated all the notebooks to unibody and released the 3G iPhone.



    They've been busy. As much as I've wanted a new mini I can understand why it's at the very bottom of the list for updates.
  • Reply 116 of 240
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,830moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    What do you guys think? Pretty impressive for such a small housing. Now putting an atom in the mac mini instead of a core2duo... that depresses me.



    That chipset is ideal for the Apple TV. Low cost, small, low heat output/low power draw and would only used for video decoding and minimal interface drawing. Fixing these things will make the ATV a much better device.



    Without PVR capability, the ATV should be £99 not £199. With PVR, they could push it to £149. Even if they sell it close to the manufacturing cost, they should assume that people may buy a lot of stuff from itunes. Sell the device cheap and make the money on the content.



    The Mini still needs to be a desktop-level machine running the full Leopard OS. If they cut it down so much that it starts to run slowly, people just won't buy it.
  • Reply 117 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post


    It's not a matter of hardware not being available in the first week of January, it's a matter of hardware that hasn't been updated in more than A WHOLE D**N YEAR.



    It's absolutely ridiculous for Apple to put off at least incremental updates of their hardware, or drop the price significantly. The current Mini Apple is selling can't be worth more than $200 and they're still selling it at the same price as when it first came out more than 500 days ago!!!!



    There's no excuse for Apple to be this far behind the ball on the mini update.



    I'm totally agree with you...



    This huge Apple Tax is really something.



    I hope Steve update Apple PRICES more often, just like Michael Dell did.



    Otherwise, it would be difficult to justify buying a Mac especially people like my sister in this economy down turn
  • Reply 118 of 240
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Well, they've moved from white iMac to silver, I think think MBA, updated all the notebooks to unibody and released the 3G iPhone.



    They've been busy. As much as I've wanted a new mini I can understand why it's at the very bottom of the list for updates.



    Do you think they don't have an engineer or two to swap out interchangeable components with something newer?



    Do they not have a technician to spare who can change the price in their sales channels?



    Do you think the entire Apple, Inc. is focused just on doing one thing at a time?



    "They've been busy" -- What the hell does that even mean? "They" are a multi-billion dollar corporation with teams of engineers for every product they sell, not some guy in his basement with a soldering iron and screwdriver!



    I'm sorry, but at this point there is NOOOO excuse for them not to have updated or lowered the price.
  • Reply 119 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    From the marketing point of view you have the Superbowl coming up along with the Macs 25th. Of course it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good to debut hardware if the Intel hardware that goes into it is not available yet (as you pointed out above).



    Dave





    These countries don't have Superbowl and they don't care about it.... Truly sad



    UK

    Australia

    New Zealand

    China
  • Reply 120 of 240
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Well, they've moved from white iMac to silver, I think think MBA, updated all the notebooks to unibody and released the 3G iPhone.



    They've been busy. As much as I've wanted a new mini I can understand why it's at the very bottom of the list for updates.



    I could care less about the design, its the specs/innards that I want updated. You don't need an entire design staff to put a current chip in there. Seriously, the best HD option is for 160 GB. 160!! I have that much in an ipod! heck, the Macbook has twice that.



    Sure, we all love apple's design, and a new case would be welcomed, but who in their right mind goes OVER 500 DAYS without refreshing the specs on a desktop? A year and a half is an eternity in the computer/electronics world, so I have no idea what they are thinking.



    I love Apple as much as anyone, and I have no desire to use a non-OSX platform, but the company seems to be either out of touch, or just flat out egotistical, either not knowing what desktop owners want, or just thinking they know better than their customers.



    When you think of the Mini, just think of what has happened/come out since August 2007. iPhone, Touch, the entire netbook crazy, the economy collapsing and leaving people to loog for lower cost computer options, etc. And there were plenty of chances to announce a bump in that time.



    But in all that time, no one at Apple said "hey guys, why don't we stick a processor with specs from THIS YEAR instead of using a chip that is discontinued?" Unbelievable.



    And that's why people are getting ticked off.
Sign In or Register to comment.