Apple well-positioned to race forward while Jobs sidelined

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

According to Munster, Jobs himself has put a lot of thought into building a talented*executive team*capable of leading the company forward.

"The company is led largely by [Cook], chief financial officer*Peter Oppenheimer, and ten Senior Vice Presidents who share a collective track record of consistently outpacing their competitors in terms of hardware and software innovation coupled with robust product marketing and financial discipline," he wrote.

Munster maintains both his Buy rating on shares of AAPL and his price target of $235.

It is unrealistic to predict a $235 price target for the shares of Apple within the next 12 months because Apple is a company with a falling market share that failed to realize that price and features matter when buyers decide to buy a computer.

Tim Cook is a good choice for an acting CEO, but he needs the freedom from the Apple Board of directors to rectify the problems that keep Apple from offering computers with competitive features at a reasonable, competitive price. Unless and until Apple can offer its computers for a lower, competitive price, with a competitive microprocessor like the Core i7, it will disappear from the market.

The Intel Core i7 quad-core desktop microprocessor was officially introduced on November 17, 2008. See:

Intel unleashes Core i7, beats itself @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40213/135/

Core i7 PCs launch with prices from $1250 to $13,000 @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40227/135/

• Reply 22 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

This has nothing to do with the article but it freaked me out that there are Pystar google ads on Appleinsider... Anyone else?

Better that than the Mormon ad I was seeing a couple of weeks back!

Quote:

Munster maintains both his Buy rating on shares of AAPL and his price target of $235.

Rule one of being an analyst: Either paint a picture of Apple being doomed or Apple being blessed by God himself. No-one will read your report is you say that they're doing kinda OK.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    People are concerned more about the health of company more than the health of people. Steve Job's life may be at stake and all that's news worthy is .. how is Apple going to make it. This is exactly why are society fails.. it's too greedy and only interested in money.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Windows 7 is Vista with slightly less crap in it.

This coming from a person who probably hasn't even downloaded the beta. Granted, I haven't downloaded the beta, but unless you can sucinctly state what it is about Windows 7 that makes it "Vista with slightly less crap," other than some appearance similarities, you only make youself look like a fanboy blowhard. That, and the Win7 beta has only been out a week. Give MS some benefit of the doubt.

Its hard to say where Apple will go after Steve. History is rife with examples of companies that, after their great CEOs wane or leave, wander off course, their products become less innovative, and their goals more diluted. In fact, I believe Apple was once one such company, until the return of the Steve. Apple is in a good position with many resources and great products, but it is up to them how they manage and leverage those advantages.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    And heaven forbid, but has Steve and crew got something up their sleeve?

Will there be a BIG announcement on some New and Exciting products, while Steve is gone, and more when he's gone. Will this be how they convince folks there is life at Apple after Steve is gone?

It would kind-of suck, but would surely relax folks (stock holders).

If there is going to be "another" SJ's, then this would be great way to bring him / her into the world and public eye.

Quote: (from Skip)

"No one is irreplaceable, but some will be missed more then others"!

S
  • Reply 26 of 51
    I like Apple, from the MBP to the iPhone etc. I buy all the new cool stuffs

butt....

Apple disappoints me since last december I lost almost 50% of my assets put into Apple. It seams that most of the news are bad news & I start to get tired of it.

It is time to get some value back to the shareholders soon...
  • Reply 27 of 51
    I used to be an investor in Apple, but I got out awhile ago and sold my stock for two reasons. One was that I didn't like the fact that the stock could surge or sink based on the health of one man. Secondly, Apple has a problem telling the truth.

Now true, sometimes Apple lies for misdirection, as in "We have no interest to add video to the iPod" or "We have no interest in make a phone."

But this whole thing with Steve's health just takes the cake.

First he appears gaunt and sickly, but the official word is that he's fine. The press sticks to it and says that he looked really bad, and Apple says that he had a common bug. Then it comes out that he had surgery again, but he's fine. Then he skips Macworld, but it has nothing to do with Steve's health. Then Steve says that it was his health and it's a hormone imbalance and the cure is rather easy. Now it's more serious than that and the cure isn't that easy.

They have been deceitful at every turn. It's ridiculous. And the analysts seem to eat it up. Gene "Fanboy" Munster is always saying that it's a time to buy Apple. I love Apple products, but I fear where this company has been heading the last couple of years. I just hope Steve can take some time off and finally recover. Maybe the company will be a little more truthful after this is all over.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Apple is a company with a falling market share that failed to realize that price and features matter when buyers decide to buy a computer.

oh for god sake, lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Apple dropped a percentage point due to the popularity of the low margin netbook for one quarter. Whoopty doo.

Lets not forget that the iphone should be considered a computer (as that is where the future of persoal computing lies), which case they are significantly UP.

Also, do you really think Apple are sat on their collective asses doing nothing? Right now they are going through a transitional period with new chips and various other technologies on the way, I'm fairly certain they will release a netbook, and when they do it will blow everything out the water and rocket past the 10% barrier.

There is no point in releasing an 'and me' netbook or any other product just because a few armchair analysts say so, otherwise they would have wasted resources developing a computer which will be refreshed within 10 months forsaking the 'wow' factor that an out-of-the-blue superior product would bring.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janus View Post

i downloaded the beta and i use it a good deal now. Aside from the daily bsod, it's a very well-done os and i actually think the bastard love-child of dock and taskbar (dockbar?) works better than the os x dock for serious multitaskers. I'm a life-long apple user, but windows 7 is the first windows that i feel is "good enough." given the growing price differences between macs and pcs, i won't be able to recommend macs to people with the same enthusiasm i used to. And if current price trends continue (unless apple does something great with 10.6 or 10.7), my next computer down the line may very well be a vaio or a thinkpad.

Gee, sounds kind of like apple a decade ago... Companies can turn around and apple can choose to ignore them at its own peril.

And that's where apple is screwing up the worst by refusing to make computers at prices the current recession market will bear. It's great that apple can brag of huge "revenue share" but developers don't sit around and think "oh wow, their revenue share is huge," they think "how many computers are out there?" and it was hard enough to convince cash-strapped schools to buy $1299 macs compared to $999 pcs, but when the pcs are $599 or even $499? Let's just say it's a tough sell for apple account executives right now, who have spent so much time extolling the virtues of 1:1 educational computing (1:1 ratio for students and computers, ie computers for all) to try and tell their clients that 1 mac is worth 2 dells in a 1:1 environment. Yes, mac sales are doing better than ever, but that sales momentum has been crushed along with the american economy.

We could say the same things about pan am, at&t corp, polaroid, ford, gm, chrysler once upon a time...things change for these companies, and precisely because of narrow-minded fat-and-happy thinking like this.

Hey i love apple. I was an apple campus rep in college, and an apple summer intern. I'm typing this on a nice new unibody macbook and i have the 2g and 3g iphones. I'm not a hater. I'm criticizing apple because i want them to do well, i need them to do well so they can keep making new products and features, attracting new developers into the apple ecosystem, expanding the market and improving my digital life. Heck to a large extent i even love the ridiculous "screw you i'm awesome" showmanship of his steveness.

But lately--i don't know why--apple has gone too far. I certainly hope they have something great cooking in their labs, because right now their corporate intransigence has grown just as the gap between their products and their competitors has shrank (iphone vs winmo is a no-brainer, but iphone vs pre changes things. And os x vs xp+vista is another no-brainer, but windows 7 has effectively closed the gap as far as most would-be windows deserters are concerned). If this is the fault of steve jobs, then it is time for him to go anyway. Maybe get someone whose computer usage habits are a bit more 21st century, who would (for just one example) realize that a smartphone shipping without an im app included is ludicrous.

yawwwwwwwwn
  • Reply 30 of 51
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

This coming from a person who probably hasn't even downloaded the beta. Granted, I haven't downloaded the beta, but unless you can sucinctly state what it is about Windows 7 that makes it "Vista with slightly less crap," other than some appearance similarities, you only make youself look like a fanboy blowhard. That, and the Win7 beta has only been out a week. Give MS some benefit of the doubt.

Its hard to say where Apple will go after Steve. History is rife with examples of companies that, after their great CEOs wane or leave, wander off course, their products become less innovative, and their goals more diluted. In fact, I believe Apple was once one such company, until the return of the Steve. Apple is in a good position with many resources and great products, but it is up to them how they manage and leverage those advantages.

We heard the same crap before Vista was released but look what we got with it, in fact I'm tying on a Vista machine right now.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Give MS some benefit of the doubt.

• Reply 32 of 51
    If they want to race forward, they need to replace all of their obsolete desktop computers and expand into more of the market.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Customers won't stop buying products from fundamentally sound Apple just because its luminary is taking a breather on the sidelines,[/url][/c]

Does anybody remember how Akamai was written off when it's founder died? Lookup the hit it took only to still be the leading and unsurpassed company in technology for content delivery.

The predictions and doubts about his successors by ignorant loud mouth tech press idiots was just as bad.

Well Akamai surged and still reigns, as will Apple.

Steve jobs may be sick and smartly is reducing stress by getting out of the front lines, but he stilll has a brain vision and say in what Apple will focus on and develop and Apple still has that + a team of like minded pros that can each outperform any peer in the industry.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    While I agree that Jobs's health probably isn't going to make a difference in how much product the company sells and how much money it makes, with several products way overdue for updates, and apple doing such a poor job of addressing the lower end of their product lines (particularly considering the current economy), I don't see them as particularly well positioned right now.

But that is something that can and should be fixed, and it's necessary they do it ASAP.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

They just gave up on the Zune.

What are you referring to?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Right now Apple will continue to run as normal... But without Jobs, Apple lacks innovation and will be considered just an another computer maker like HP or Dell.

When Jobs came back to Apple, he reinvented it. He innovated. Without him, there is no Apple.

Apple sits at about 9% marketshare because of Vista.

With Vista almost out the doors and with Windows 7 promising to be the best OS, Microsoft has made... it will be very tough for Apple to grow... WHY?

1) If Windows 7 is as good as the reviewers say.... Apple is in trouble.

2) With PCs using the latest and greatest hardware... they will have an edge over Mac.

NO JOBS = TROUBLES FOR APPLE!
  • Reply 37 of 51
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, the big story is that the analysts are scrambling like crazy to prevent the stock from bombing even more this year.

Not really, they are doing their best to sink the stock with crazy low earnings estimates.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    As a (v.minor) share holder I'm not worried at all.

In fact Apple shares are the only ones I'm happy to hold long-term right now.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

What are you referring to?

From Financial Times:

"Asked if Microsoft would counter with a ?Zune Phone?, Mr Ballmer said: ?You should not anticipate that.? He added that the company would stick to its strategy of developing software to support a range of mobile devices. That suggests that, if there is a future for Zune, it lies in planting the software and online service linked to the player in other devices."
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

From Financial Times:

"Asked if Microsoft would counter with a ?Zune Phone?, Mr Ballmer said: ?You should not anticipate that.? He added that the company would stick to its strategy of developing software to support a range of mobile devices. That suggests that, if there is a future for Zune, it lies in planting the software and online service linked to the player in other devices."

So they're not making a Zune phone. Whoop dee do