Steve Jobs may be facing surgery to remove pancreas - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider;1363650Joe Grundfest, a professor of capital markets, corporate governance and securities litigation at Stanford University, attributed the lack of transparency regarding Jobs' health issues to his "unusual and complicated" condition.

"When conditions are complicated, physicians have difficulty making clear decisions," he told Bloomberg.[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

My sympathy goes out to Mr Jobs and his family. As a side note, this professor of markets needs to stick to markets, and let the doctors do the medicine. They aren't disclosing anything because it is against the law for them to do so. To me, it sounds like multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 1 (MEN1)
  • Reply 22 of 45
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    If the speculation is true, it could actually be an opportunity for Apple. Imagine Jobs pushing Apple to design an incredibly intelligent and user-friendly insulin pump to keep himself healthy after the operation. No more finger-pricking, no more trying to interpret blood tests, no more hypodermic needles. Just wear a gadget about the size of a watch around your wrist and it takes care of everything 24/7 without user intervention. True, it would be a brand new area for Apple with significant risks, but they've never let that stop them before.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    In the incredibly speculative field of predicting Apple's next big thing...the lack of new products at MacWorld had reporters/"analysts" focus on something else...Steve.

Poor guy, hope he recovers soon and wish him all the best.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

SJ walks out on stage at WWDC.

We're introducing 3 revolutionary products. a moisture proof iPod with thought based controls, a mobile Phone, and an artificial Gland Organ.

A moisture proof iPod with thought based controls, a mobile Phone, and an artificial Gland Organ.

An iPod, a Phone, an artificial Gland Organ.

You guys getting this.. ?

Introducing the iPancreas.

And one more thing: F*** *** TO ALL YOU BASTARDS COUNTING MY DAYS NUMBERED.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppp1182 View Post

My sympathy goes out to Mr Jobs and his family. As a side note, this professor of markets needs to stick to markets, and let the doctors do the medicine. They aren't disclosing anything because it is against the law for them to do so. To me, it sounds like multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 1 (MEN1)

MEN 1? Maybe so. Does he have a pituitary adenoma or parathyroid hyperplasia? But consider this:

"A small subset of islet cell tumors occur in association with the MEN-1 syndrome, but the majority are sporadic lesions about which limited information regarding underlying genetic and molecular alterations is known."

House MG, Schulick, RD. Endocrine tumors of the pancreas. Curr Opin Oncology. Volume 18(1), January 2006, p 23?29.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Doctor's Interview and point of view:

Everybody is talking about a neoplastic pancreatic condition. The most frequent pancreatic malignancy is ductal carcinoma. Let's suppose he does not suffer from that condition and that, as he says, he has a tumoral endocrine pancreatic disease which is treatable. In that case we look for diseases like MEN (multiple endocrine neoplasia) Type I (MEN I). With symptoms provoking chronic diarrhea, weight loss with tumors of the parathyroid glands, pancreatic islet cells and hypofisis. Sometimes most of the pancreas must be removed in order to control the endocrine symptoms. The disease is longlasting and death can happen in cases of complications. Is he suffering from Insulinoma ?, or a gastrin pruducing tumor of the pancreas ? Who knows, is one of those his condition ? Are they hiding a more frequent and severe disease like ductal carcinoma because of Apple stock price. The insiders are the only people aware of the truth. By the way a Whipple procedure is a type of surgery in which the pancreas and the duodenum are radically removed. It is mostly used to treat pancreatic cancer with the intention to cure.

---------

Let's all hope for the best.

For more information on this story please follow some insider's views here:

Steve Wozjobs

http://www.applegameshop.com
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Well, my uncles has a friend who knows a doctor who's married to this woman who's cousin has an aunt who was married to a reporter who likes to put rampant speculation like this in print.

Thank you, Simone.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    I just hope that he's going to real medical doctors trained in science!

It would be a shame to see him waste his time and his health with some shaman who will try to cure him with a poultice made of ground-up chick peas and antelope urine.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t2star View Post

MEN 1? Maybe so. Does he have a pituitary adenoma or parathyroid hyperplasia? But consider this:

"A small subset of islet cell tumors occur in association with the MEN-1 syndrome, but the majority are sporadic lesions about which limited information regarding underlying genetic and molecular alterations is known."

House MG, Schulick, RD. Endocrine tumors of the pancreas. Curr Opin Oncology. Volume 18(1), January 2006, p 23?29.

Wow. What's up, docs? Care to talk to us uninformed in English?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    This thread is silly speculation.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

So, given that the teams of doctors that get to examine the man in person and run tests have trouble figuring out what's wrong with him, the smart thing, according to these "analysts," is to get opinions on his condition from doctors who have never even seen him or his medical files.

Seriously, is this news?

it's a common trick in the tabs to have an expert give an opinion only to see (for legal reasons) the phrase 'who has not treated X'

such as the doctors that claim, though they have no access to her medical records and have never treated her personally, that Angelina Jolie would likely die if she has any more children because the other two pregnancies were too difficult on her body.

different patient, same spin.

personally I wish there was a way for Apple and Steve to sue every publication that prints jack about him other than what has been officially released. position it as slander/libel. the drop in stock value can be used as damages. after all the stockholders are claiming that his health and inability to do his job is why the stock has dropped in the last year (although he's been under this condition for what 4 years and Apple has released how much bloody great stuff under his guidance)
  • Reply 32 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Steve Jobs needs... SSP (Solid State Pancreas)

iPancreas LOL good one

Get well Steve.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

SJ walks out on stage at WWDC.

We're introducing 3 revolutionary products. a moisture proof iPod with thought based controls, a mobile Phone, and an artificial Gland Organ.

A moisture proof iPod with thought based controls, a mobile Phone, and an artificial Gland Organ.

You guys getting this.. ?

Introducing the iPancreas.

• Reply 33 of 45
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

No arguments about Somalia in the 90's, except for the strange assertion about "the disastrous military operation that Clinton ordered". The Black Hawk Down incident was part of UNOSOM II, which was a continuation of UNITAF, which was a continuation of UNOSOM I under the elder President Bush. Blaming Clinton for the mess seems strange-- as you say, the place was unmanageable from the start. Hopefully we learned a lesson about overstaying our welcome in unmanageable situations in that area of the world.

First, I am and was a big supporter of Clinton - he will go down in history as a great U.S. president - but he is the one who authorized the Black Hawk Down incident. The first Bush may have started our involvement, but Clinton had to give his OK for that operation.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. What's up, docs? Care to talk to us uninformed in English?

In all likelihood, probably not MEN1. If it WAS a cancer recurrence, these are some possibilties:

http://www.pancan.org/Patient/Pancreatic/isletCell.html

pretty good site, also has stuff on side effects
  • Reply 35 of 45
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

It would be a shame to see him waste his time and his health with some shaman who will try to cure him with a poultice made of ground-up chick peas and antelope urine.

He's in the tech industry, which necessarily uses logic and science to find solutions. Unlike other celebrities like Steve McQueen, Coretta Scott King, etc. who believed some woo-woo friends and thought alternative medicine's placebos could cure serious life-threatening diseases
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

This thread is silly speculation.

People said that about the Gizmodo article.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    What they're not saying is a quote from right after his first operation by doctors in the field. Only 1 percent got the treatable form of pancreatic cancer - but life-extension case history was not available after 5 years.

And that surgery? That was 5 years ago.

The probabilities in his procedure have run out, but we get 1981 dead-russian leader style internal politics to bolster a share-price. Talk about selling your soul. Don't be surprised when his "unexpected" death is announced.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

People said that about the Gizmodo article.

the difference is that Gizmodo never stated a source. it was always "unnamed source close to X" which could mean 'out their butts'.

in this article, because they knew the real doctor would keep his mouth shut under doctor/patient they went to some doctor in another country who has probably never met Steve Jobs much less treated him and got a statement about the worst case scenario, failed to admit that that was the question asked and put the baby disclaimer that is required under the statement.

see in Journalism (a career I almost had) the rule is that you put the most important stuff first and then trickle down to the filler. that way when the audience stops reading after the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, they don't miss anything important.

so folks are reading this article from a supposedly 'good' source and they read those first two paragraphs and get the big info. how many are going to keep reading that the guy has no clue what he's really talking about compared to the ones that run to sell off their Apple stock because the company tanks cause Steve was the only one that did or thought anything there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

What they're not saying is a quote from right after his first operation by doctors in the field. Only 1 percent got the treatable form of pancreatic cancer - but life-extension case history was not available after 5 years.

And that surgery? That was 5 years ago.

The probabilities in his procedure have run out,

probabilities are just that. they are 'based on the information we have'. they are not solid rules. They might say "only 1 in 5 million patients that have received this treatment have lived beyond 5 years" based on the fact that that's what they have seen. but hey you only need 1 and in the last five years they might be due for another '1' and that could be Steve Jobs

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I thought the point of Mr. Jobs taking medical leave was to get out of the limelight to keep the distractions down from reports, just like this.

at this point the man is dammed no matter what. if he goes he's dying, if he stays he's dying.

he is taking this active duty leave because all the stress of not having taken a leave, plus all this BS is not helping him recover and the doctors probably told him this

but hey, lets not forget that all Apple laptops and imac, plus the new LED display have a built in isight camera.

steve can go off to the Bahamas with his new hot off the press MacBookPro 17 inch and be a virtual presence at the morning meetings where he gets updates about whatever is happening for WWDC etc while sitting on the beach. He can join in the Board Meetings no one the wiser that he's getting a nice full body massage at the same time.

and here's the thing too. computer tech is not something you dream up and do in a weekend. it takes months, if not years, to plan, design and execute a new idea. so what his happening right now is stuff Steve was involved in. some of which we won't probably see for another year or two. the guy could die today and the company still has his great ideas to work with for a while. and chances are that the ideas that come afterwards would just be a continuation with WWSD at every turn. at least for a good 5 years.

heck he may have notes to guide them even

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

He has no facts, and no idea of exactly what Steve Jobs' health problems are. He's just spouting the same stuff you can look up on Wikipaedia on survival rates and probabilities.

not exactly. this guy was involved in the early days of developing the procedure that Jobs had. so he does have a clue about the procedure. he just doesn't have a clue about Steve

hormones are a tricky thing and it is possible that some of this trouble would have happened even without the cancer. the guy is in his 50s after all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

True enough. This is just more rampant speculation. Whether he does or doesn't have surgery, and whether he lives or dies, he's got more important things to deal with than Apple right now.

not according to some of the stock holders

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

These speculative stories by those who don't have first hand knowledge of Jobs' condition are just that ... SPECULATION and hence, are not worthy of publication in my view.

which is kind of the point. Bloomburg was not every responsible with this article and frankly I think they should be invested and sanctioned for it. I would love, and I sure Apple and Jobs would agree, for the SEC if possible to put it out there that anyone, from any source, that publishes any news about Steve Jobs Health that is not a reprinted from an official Apple release, will be invested and sanctioned for possible tampering with the companies stock price. not unlike what happened with the kid that hacked the paper and posted that Jobs was dead and the price dropped like 20 dollars in a day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"When conditions are complicated, physicians have difficulty making clear decisions."

-- Joe Grundfest, professor of capital markets, corporate governance and securities litigation at Stanford University

(And to be even more fair, I--who know just as little about medicine as Joe Grundfest--think his statement is quite reasonable!)

yep. and the only one that should be made. because it addresses why all the 'spin' (as naysayers have deemed it). Medicine is complicated and there are not certain addresses.

heck, Steve could survive all of this and come out clean only to get hit by a bus walking across the street from work to pick up a grande frap or to take a walk in the park during lunch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

If the speculation is true, it could actually be an opportunity for Apple. Imagine Jobs pushing Apple to design an incredibly intelligent and user-friendly insulin pump

there are already insulin pumps and glucose pumps in the market. one needle in the side or the thigh and all you have to do is monitor the supply levels and the read outs. most of them will even beep to let you know when you need to check something.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

i doubt he'd let some witch doctor perform surgery on him.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

the difference is that Gizmodo never stated a source. it was always "unnamed source close to X" which could mean 'out their butts'.

Gismodo had a source which did not want to be named. The accuracy of the story which people dogged (including myself) has been proven more accurate than three accounts from Apple. An anonymous source nicknamed (deep throat) helped bring down a presidency in the US. Whether we like it or not, it is not against the law to use anonymous sources. Freedom of the press.

Quote:

see in Journalism (a career I almost had) the rule is that you put the most important stuff first and then trickle down to the filler. that way when the audience stops reading after the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, they don't miss anything important.

so folks are reading this article from a supposedly 'good' source and they read those first two paragraphs and get the big info. how many are going to keep reading that the guy has no clue what he's really talking about compared to the ones that run to sell off their Apple stock because the company tanks cause Steve was the only one that did or thought anything there. ]

I think what you are saying here is that the guy has no clue about what he is talking about and this causes people to run and sell their stock and tank the company. It amazes me how everyone here keeps tying these stories to stocks. Not everyone owns stock or cares about stock. Some people here just care about the truth which ultimately comes out one way or the other. So far, Apple has told three lies about Job's health status. I would have had more respect for them if they would have continued stating that Job's health is a private matter and they are not going to comment on it.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I have been hospitalized and had surgery for pancreatic disease (was in a hospital bed for 6 months in 2008). I am still spending a good part of each day in bed, or at least just laying around. Through all my discussions and personal experince with pancreatic disease, I can say that whoever get these diseases are screwed for the rest of their lives. You never fully recovery as far as I know. You always are sick weak, and on the edge of life. The suffering is intolerable. The diarrhea, pain, weight loss, feeling of malaise, and weight loss is horrible. You cannot eat normal any longer, as many foods make you sick and your food never tastes the same again. When you do get hungry, you can only eat small portions. A walk around the block is like running a marathon. I lost the ability to eat and walk and went through physical therapy and am still much under weight. (if you have othe rhealth issues, you are really really really big time screwed).

Now imagine you don't have much money, and even worse if you have other health issues, you are really in a mess.

The simply things inlife are now a joy. Just being able to eat a little, to be able to walk again, to be able to go outside and feel the sun on your face... those are now the things that count.

I suppose this guy has layers of people around him that protects him, and he can keep his perosonal life secret and has no money worries. Maybe he has no other health issues, or at least none serious, that all helps a lot. He does not have to get social security disability, and all those thing people go through with no money. Like have no rent money. Some people don't even have someone to help them take care of themselves.

I cannot help anyone understand the hell people go through with pancreatic disease. I only tell you a little of what it is like. I never even told about all the pain killer like morphine in high doses that at times does not help. Most people would not understand about pain help and control.

The dooctors were very close to completely removing my pancres, because after they removed the Cyst, I kept getting life threating infections in my blood and throughout my body. I know somone who had the cancer cut out and part of their pancreas, stomach, and intestine. They have been struggling too for about 2 years now. They look very frail and are sick all the time, especially after eating. They cannot believe they lived. Neither can I believe I lived.

I did not smoke nor was I an alcohol drinker. That is what doctors usually try to blame (or attribute) for pancreatic disease.

I any case, anyone that has pancreatic disease, I would expect them to be sick for the rest of their lives. I could be wrong. But, it is a very horrible disease, one that ravages your body.