Apple drops anti-piracy measures from iWork '09

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

If you were to go and download iwork 09 from your favorite torrent site you'd find it comes with the serial number. Was that way on the day it was released.

Hm, and how exactly would you know that?

I suspect the torrent was stolen from the downloaded version of iWork, which still requires a serial number. Only the retail boxed version is getting rid of it.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    customize each DVD with the serial number embedded in it? Say, most of the DVD is stamped normally, but the DVD may have a small +-R portion, that gets a serial number written to, and the installer reads that instead of having the user type it in?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    Then what's the difference between paying for a 5-user family pack and the normal edition?
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Simple is better.

I always bought/buy the Family License anyway because the cost differential is small and it seems the right thing to do.

Now, if only Adobe...

Better yet, it would be nice if Adobe, Quark, Microsoft, etc., would let you choose/switch to a PC or Mac version when you upgrade for the upgrade price.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

Then what's the difference between paying for a 5-user family pack and the normal edition?

One allows you to install it for a single user, the other for up to five users. Just like it says on the box.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

Honesty.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    There will always be someone stealing software, but this move from Apple shows that they trust the community. If people want the software, they know people will pay for it. This motion is unlike other companies who assumes users are thieves and make them go through pains to prove they are owners of the software by entering serial numbers or inserting the original CD. For example, I bought a Windows netbook with Windows XP Home serial number label on the bottom of the laptop. After a couple months of use, the label is no longer legible.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rod76 View Post

It?s kind of a ?we know you?ll pirate it,? but in the end you?ll see the value in it and support it in a future version.

Not really. It's more like, "we know you'll pirate it and never pay for it, but your shenanigans will increase its general popularity so that other people might throw money at it." Those willing to steal and crack an app rarely end up forking over cash later on.

Anyway, I'm not even going to jack the suite until they fix the ridiculous snail pace of Pages. I've used it on both Intel and PPC and it feels like I'm moving pillows around. I like the idea and integration, but the constant click-to-action delay drives me nuts. What's the deal?
  • Reply 29 of 59
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Apple is doooooooomed. j/k

Fantastic. Man they make it hard to test my sense of ethics. The cheapskate in me wants to buy the Mac Box Set single computer edition and then liberally install LOL. The ethical part wants me to buy the Family License and hope that Snow Leopard is cheap.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'd too would like to see iWork installed on all new Macs if only for the reason that the same software would be available everywhere you go (public computers etc.). I would be comfortable with them charging for it it the time too.

Maybe they don't want to alienate other developers by including a productivity suite right out of the box. I reckon the relationship with Microsoft would be on tender hooks as it is.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I wonder if the removal of DRM from iTunes figured in to their decision?
  • Reply 32 of 59
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if the removal of DRM from iTunes figured in to their decision?

It is common practice for Apple to not require a product key, they don't even require one for Leopard if I remember correctly, so I doubt this had anything to do with itunes.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduararipe View Post

Honesty.

I'm the only one in my family who uses a Mac - everyone else uses Windows. I always buy the Family Pack because I'm going to install it on all 3 of my Macs. Of course I can only use one computer at a time so I guess I could justify buying the single user version but it doesn't cost that much more anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm the only one in my family who uses a Mac - everyone else uses Windows. I always buy the Family Pack because I'm going to install it on all 3 of my Macs. Of course I can only use one computer at a time so I guess I could justify buying the single user version but it doesn't cost that much more anyway.

You should be buying the single user version. A single user can have multiple computers but can only use the software on one computer at a time, so it's totally valid for you to use a single user license.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

So you download a trial version which will need a key to unlock later on. You decide you like it but want the CD/DVD and booklet so you by a retail version at the apple store. Do you need to re-install it? There is no way at that point to activate the trial version because there is no key in the retail package? So it is either buy a key online and not get the CD/Booklet, or buy retail and reinstall?

Don't get me wrong, this is a great move. Lets hope it starts a loooong chain of events from all the other software makers.

Yes, from trial to retail box took an install. It's rather quick. For me it was as simple as deleting the iWork folder. It apparently took care of the app support and any other folders needed without hunting them down for deletion ahead of the install.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    I just installed the box over the trial (I'm weird, I got the trial but wanted the box copy) and that worked just fine.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    cowcow Posts: 2member
    iworks for windows?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rod76 View Post

I think they?re taking the approach Microsoft used to get Office to critical mass.

To explain: they?re offering it without restriction, encouraging uptake - even in the face of obvious casual copying. This doesn?t make software infringement right, it just positions iWork in such a way that many will ?try It or switch to it? even though they haven?t purchased it.

It?s kind of a ?we know you?ll pirate it,? but in the end you?ll see the value in it and support it in a future version.

I agree, I remember back in the day, 10+ years ago, MS had to know that people all over the world were pirating Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I mean that you could find pirated copies everywhere, I knew then that MS was using revenue from paying customers to foot the bill for development costs and using the pirating to do viral marketing, brilliant move. Hopefully Apple is taking a page out of that book, viral marketing works best when the company producing the goods is playing along, and it really does work well.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bornonbord View Post

It was easy enough to pirate in the first place... Now it takes nothing at all. Hrm... interesting approach, Apple...

But it makes things easier for the paying customers. Ever think of them? Often times, copy protection measures only inconvenience those that don't pay, and annoys those that do pay.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Great! Apple messed up the serial number software, anyway - I had to type in the key many times on my wife's computer after it forgot that I had typed it in before. total pain in the butt.

Plus you had to type it in separately for each user on your computer, another pain in the butt.

Good riddance!

That isn't good, but I haven't had that. What I do for software keys is keep a text file with all the keys, a line saying what software and version, and then a line with they key. If for some reason I am reinstalling software, I can select the key, and then drag and drop it into the key window.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

customize each DVD with the serial number embedded in it? Say, most of the DVD is stamped normally, but the DVD may have a small +-R portion, that gets a serial number written to, and the installer reads that instead of having the user type it in?

Seems like more work than it is worth, and possibly an expensive process.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cow View Post

iworks for windows?

I would think that Apple wants to use its pay-for software as a lure to buy their hardware.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    I pirated it 1.2 hours after it was released.