Apple drops anti-piracy measures from iWork '09

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has dropped serial number verification in the new retail box version of iWork 09, making the revised office suite simply "just work" for new users who have purchased it.

Previously, all versions of Apple's iWork productivity suite have always required obtaining a serial number to work past the free thirty day trial. This included the version installed on new Macs, the downloadable trial, and retail boxes.

In contrast, the companion iLife suite installed without any serial number system, as it was always bundled free on new Macs, and the company did not ever offer a trial download version. Once installed, versions of iLife just worked. Apple used serial number verification on iWork, as it does on its Pro Apps, to limit piracy of the productivity suite.

Apple is still selling iWork separately, so the free trial versions that can be downloaded and which will appear on new machines does require a serial number to unlock, which can be obtained by directly purchasing the software online.

However, anyone buying the new iWork 09 retail version introduced at Macworld will have the software unlocked as part of the install process automatically, sparing users from keeping track of their software key when they reinstall the package.

This will ostensibly allow users to pirate iWork 09 slightly easier, but it appears the company has determined that the risk of losing sales to piracy is less than the annoyance consumers face and the customer service efforts wasted in helping people find a lost serial numbers.

Piracy has also historically contributed to the popularity and market share of many apps by allowing users who are unlikely to ever pay for anything to use the software, resulting in wide adoption and subsequent sales from businesses, institutional buyers, and others who do pay for the software they use.

Apple may likely be hoping that the relaxed serial number restrictions will incite wider use of the iWork suite, resulting in greater exposure for the company's iWork.com online collaboration service as well. The service is now in beta, but the company hopes to eventually begin charging a subscription use fee for it, similar to MobileMe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    It was easy enough to pirate in the first place... Now it takes nothing at all. Hrm... interesting approach, Apple...
  • Reply 2 of 59
    So you download a trial version which will need a key to unlock later on. You decide you like it but want the CD/DVD and booklet so you by a retail version at the apple store. Do you need to re-install it? There is no way at that point to activate the trial version because there is no key in the retail package? So it is either buy a key online and not get the CD/Booklet, or buy retail and reinstall?

Don't get me wrong, this is a great move. Lets hope it starts a loooong chain of events from all the other software makers.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    I like this PR move. Product keys have never made sense to me. If someone wants to pirate software they will find a way to get it done. So really the license key is just an encumbrance to legit users. Personally, I get tired of fishing through my email to find license keys when I update or switch hard drives. Bravo Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

So you download a trial version which will need a key to unlock later on. You decide you like it but want the CD/DVD and booklet so you by a retail version at the apple store. Do you need to re-install it? There is no way at that point to activate the trial version because there is no key in the retail package? So it is either buy a key online and not get the CD/Booklet, or buy retail and reinstall?

In the time it took me to respond to you, you could of thrown the trial in the trash and installed (at least partly) from the disk. Are you really complaining about this?
  • Reply 5 of 59
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

It just installs over the top and takes care of it for you.

The only time you need a serial now is if you have the trial version and want to upgrade it with the full version from a digital download of the full version. In that case, the "digital download" when you buy it, is just the serial number (I think).

As long as you buy the box version, you don't have to worry about serials at all. Just install.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Great! Apple messed up the serial number software, anyway - I had to type in the key many times on my wife's computer after it forgot that I had typed it in before. total pain in the butt.

Plus you had to type it in separately for each user on your computer, another pain in the butt.

Good riddance!
  • Reply 7 of 59
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has dropped serial number verification in the new retail box version of iWork 09, making the revised office suite simply "just work" for new users who have purchased it.

? why not preinstalling iWork with Leopard?! It'll be great if they start preinstalling iWork from Snow Leopard onwards!

The iLife concept allready shows that people are more likely to upgrade afterwards!
  • Reply 8 of 59
    rod76rod76 Posts: 21member
    I think they?re taking the approach Microsoft used to get Office to critical mass.

To explain: they?re offering it without restriction, encouraging uptake - even in the face of obvious casual copying. This doesn?t make software infringement right, it just positions iWork in such a way that many will ?try It or switch to it? even though they haven?t purchased it.

It?s kind of a ?we know you?ll pirate it,? but in the end you?ll see the value in it and support it in a future version.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

? why not preinstalling iWork with Leopard?! It'll be great if they start preinstalling iWork from Snow Leopard onwards!

The iLife concept allready shows that people are more likely to upgrade afterwards!

The serial number is being removed. It isn't like they are offering the program for free. It's only free if you have no ethics.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong, this is a great move. Lets hope it starts a loooong chain of events from all the other software makers.

the CD doesn't require a key be inputted. just the trial to show that you bought it.

i suspect they figure they will make their money on iwork.com

in fact I wouldn't be shocked if in a go around or two they start preinstalling iwork like they do ilife already.

oh and you don't have to register it either if you don't. just open any program 3 times and say 'register later', number 3 will say 'never register'.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Simple is better.

I always bought/buy the Family License anyway because the cost differential is small and it seems the right thing to do.

Now, if only Adobe...
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

Bought mine at the Apple store two weeks ago. Had the trial version on my computer. I simply inserted the install disk, clicked the Pages trial version icon on my dock and the application opened without the intermediate Buy/Trial screen.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    This is great move. Make Micro$oft seems like AssH**ls with their 100000 key activation.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

It would make sense to offer iWork for free when you get yourself a new OS or computer:

Apple can merge iwork.com and mobileme into one service. Revenue will come from the subscription fee and upgrades.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I noticed that there was not license key, but I thought it was just because I'd purchased the Family Pack.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

It would make sense to offer iWork for free when you get yourself a new OS or computer:

Agreed. At least there's currently an instant rebate, $30, if you buy a Mac online or at an Apple Store.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    If you were to go and download iwork 09 from your favorite torrent site you'd find it comes with the serial number. Was that way on the day it was released.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bornonbord View Post

It was easy enough to pirate in the first place... Now it takes nothing at all. Hrm... interesting approach, Apple...

hah, so true

• Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:

It would make sense to offer iWork for free when you get yourself a new OS or computer ...

I don't know how this could be seen as a good idea at all.

They already give you the OS for free when you buy the computer as well as iLife which is a huge value. Other than iWork or Office, many people never need to buy software for the computer again. If iWork was free, you wouldn't have to buy anything other than the computer and people would start to think they were entitled to free everything.

Apple's software is already outrageously inexpensive compared to it's competitors. I could see the price of the OS dropping a bit to keep it in line with their other product pricing, or all of it dropping in unison over time, but free?

It makes more sense to pay for iWork and make the online component free than it does to do the reverse.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I think having a $79 price also helps eliminate piracy, because it is affordable. I think it is ridiculous to have to pay any more than $100 for a license for this type of software..

I wish software companies would get rid of things like the iLok. I think that is just a ridiculous way of piracy protection.. In the Audio Recording market, a lot of companies use iLok and it uses up a USB port that might be needed for something else.

I think a simply serial number is all that is needed for the professional applications as well as giving support to registered users is enough since most users probably will need support at some point in time for the apps that are more complex to use.