Dell prepping for February smartphone launch?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Microsoft best friend, Dell, they create good cheap products and they create crappy products also. I remember how hyped was Vista and how crappy it end up to be, I remember Dell Adamo (did i get the name correct?) touted as world's thinnest notebook (meaning it will beat MBA!!! Woot! Woot!) and it seems Dell has problem understanding the basic meaning of english words, tish tish, cause Adamo was certainly not thinner then the MBA. Now smartphones? Geez what are they up to, Michael Dell is taking his personal vendetta against Apple too seriously, it might end up ruining whats left at Dell.

Oh yea and not to forget Dell ambitious project to create a MP3 player and an open MP3 ecosystem to destroy Apple iPod dominance and iTunes Music Store. We know how that turn out to be =)

Oh yeah, and I remember that someone from Dell mention that its important to have a mix of cheap and expensive lineup in their product line, hear my words Dell, IT WILL NEVER WORK OUT!!!, why? Its pretty common sense actually, who wants to own a exclusive product from a company who makes cheap low quality products? Why do Toyota have Lexus? Cause Lexus is Toyota brand for luxury cars while Toyota is for mass production and for commoners (no offence people). Heck, if Dell release a notebook as expensive as MBA or Apple notebooks, I would rather buy an Apple which Im sure there is quality or get Sony which is known as Apple of PC World cause of their design and quality.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Dell doesn't even have customer support, how is this going to work?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Jeez people...what OS? Android.

If it wanted to start over: Linux. What UI? Webkit..

It shouldn't take a competent team more than a year to come up with something like the Pre and there are several competent teams in Taiwan, China, Korea that can do the job for Dell. They can go to HTC and get a phone to brand.

Heck, as messed up as dell is, I believe they have 8.5B in case and 2.12B in debt. Palm's market cap is 820M with debt. They could get it for not THAT much. Or just buy Motorolla's handset division for $500M.

Can they do a smartphone? Yes.

Should they? Who knows. They sure aren't beating HP these days so they better do SOMETHING.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I disagree. As much as I think most Dell products are crap, they sell quite well overall so I guess people either like crap or disagree with the idea that Dell only makes crap.

If the computer market is moving to a new, smaller, mobile form factor, possibly even a new platform as many are supposing lately, then Dell needs to be in that market to survive. To stay in position as the maker of what are possibly soon to be "old fashioned" desktops means gradual obsolescence.

One could argue that because they are a crap company they will ultimately fail at this new segment and for that reason shouldn't even try, but from their point of view it makes sense. They don't themselves believe that they are crap computer makers and probably think their chances are good.

One... I think the obsolescence you speak of is already upon them - and their core principal of up-selling cheap suppliers is even more obsolete. So now the pace of quality and innovation that Apple has inflicted on the market has left them chained to a lead ball.

Two, on a more philosophical vibe... I'm not so sure that deep down they don't accept that they really are crap computer makers. And ones who are fine with making money by barely staying ahead of the lowest common denominator of mediocrity that the industry and consumers tolerate. So many companies in so many industries make their living that way knowing deep down that it's a crap, but don't care as long as people keep paying for it.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Don't you just love the English language?

I do. I also speak it with the correct accent. <duck>
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Funniest is the idea that Shaw Wu believes they could just whip out a competitive OS and

that people still consider him knowledgeable enough to invest based upon his advice.

Exactly, I have said the same about Wu for years. he is one of the last people I would take as being credible or informed. His main job has been to fluff apples share price.

That Dell could be competitive in OS development is absurd beyond belief.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The train already left and Dell cannot catch it or stop it.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

... on a more philosophical vibe... I'm not so sure that deep down they don't accept that they really are crap computer makers. And ones who are fine with making money by barely staying ahead of the lowest common denominator of mediocrity that the industry and consumers tolerate. ...

Not sure I really disagree with you.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as they seem to be really *trying* to make "luxury" computers nowadays. Whether they succeed, or whether any of these new products they are making actually sell, I don't know. If they survive the depression they might have a chance.

It also occurs to me that if Apple's vertical model is actually the best way to go, then there have to be *some* other companies that imitate it or the whole upper end of the consumer market will be owned by Apple. I think Michael Dell is smart enough to realise that if they don't at least try this stuff, they will forever be the "budget" (crap) computer company and gradually obsolesce.

My prediction is that after a year or so of trying, if nothing works Michael Dell will be forced out and Dell will sink back into what it was, or be cut up into pieces and sold.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Remember the Alamo!... Adamo,,, Atamo?

I don't know if naming a supposed luxury brand a nonsense word that no one seems to remember is such a good idea.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Call it the iTooPhone. Or, before the whole company joins the parade of layoffs and bankruptcies, take the snarky advice you once so famously gave to Apple: "Liquidate the company's assets and return them to investors." Payback's a bitch, Michael.

It may be a tired old quote, but by Jingos it needs to said often and loud!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Use their own operating system???!! Exactly what operating system would that be then?

Wu is complete and utter fuck-wit.

can I nominate this as post of the month? and a good early runner for post of the year.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    It is possible that Dell could enter the smartphone market, but Shaw Wu's points are, as usual, gibberish. Dell won't make their own o.s. because they would not be trying to out-innovate Apple, RIM and Palm. They would make a 'smartphone for the rest of them' - value for money, not innovation.

And in the current news environment, Dell can get front page news with cut&paste.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fractured View Post

Dell may have many dogs out there, but they do occasionally make a decent machine. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they were working on a netbook with 3G connectivity. Dell does portables already, and people are pushing for smaller, more portable machines to connect to the web. A wirelessly connected laptop with full computing capabilities could be very appealing to the consumer market. Dell would not still be around if they never understood the needs of the consumer.

Dell is already selling a Netbook with included 3G data bundle in Partnership with Vodafone, for example in Australia you pay zero up front and $A60 a month for 24 months, that gets you a netbook and 5GB a month (Don't laugh this is very competitive, data is expensive here).

Prices and plans would vary from country to country.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

It is possible that Dell could enter the smartphone market, but Shaw Wu's points are, as usual, gibberish.

Rob Endearle's past advice to Dell, on the other hand...
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Jeez people...what OS? Android.

If it wanted to start over: Linux. What UI? Webkit..

It shouldn't take a competent team more than a year to come up with something like the Pre and there are several competent teams in Taiwan, China, Korea that can do the job for Dell. They can go to HTC and get a phone to brand.

Heck, as messed up as dell is, I believe they have 8.5B in case and 2.12B in debt. Palm's market cap is 820M with debt. They could get it for not THAT much. Or just buy Motorolla's handset division for $500M.

Can they do a smartphone? Yes.

Should they? Who knows. They sure aren't beating HP these days so they better do SOMETHING.

Android is Linux.

Starting over would be writing your own Monolithic Kernel/Micro Kernel.

Forking is what they would do.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    HTC hardware + Android software + Dell logo = Dell innovation.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Dell buying Palm is actually an interesting thought. Palm have interesting technology right now and Dell has decent financial strength and manufacturing expertise.

For companies with strong balance sheets, this is a good time for take overs.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Maybe Mr. Dell plans to get out of the computer business like Ty Warner got out of the Beanie Babies business. I hear that Mr. Dell purchased the Miramar (Fairchild) Hotel in Santa Monica, California. It's a large property at Wilshire Boulevard and Ocean Avenue, just a couple of blocks from one of the early Apple Store. He can't easily make any changes to it because of the Costal Commission and local restrictions. (Ty purchase the Biltmore Santa Barbara among others.)
  • Reply 38 of 47
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Use their own operating system???!! Exactly what operating system would that be then?

Wu is complete and utter fuck-wit.

It comforts me to believe that Wu reads these message boards
  • Reply 39 of 47
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I hope and pray for Apple's sake that whatever POS Dull comes up with was based upon the "consulting" advice of Rob Enderle.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Vladimir Putin seems to have the measure of Michael Dell's abilities :lol