AT&T again offering iPhones for $99

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T has put refurbished iPhones back on sale on its website.

The 8GB black model is $99 with a two-year contract, while you can choose between the black or white 16GB models for $199 each. A similar offer was available online in late December.

The carrier says the smartphones were returned during the initial 30-day period either unused or used only slightly.

"Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches," AT&T notes.

Refurbished iPhones come with a 90-day warranty and are available now from AT&T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1378280]AT&T has put refurbished iPhones back on sale on its website.

I'm writing to reveal a business policy of AT&T Wireless concerning this $99 Refurbished iPhone 3G that's caused me great frustration on two occasions...

In December I spent numerous hours a day, for several days, trying to get this deal and to persuade AT&T Wireless to apply the rollover minutes from my current AT&T Wireless account to the new iPhone service account.

By the time I was successful, the deal (available only on-line) had expired.

Yesterday, I again went through the same agony (speaking with numerous offices), until I was successful in getting them to agree to transfer my rollover minutes.

When I went to the Web page checkout, however, I discovered that there were two available selections for my new iPhone: either 1.) transfer a telephone number from another carrier, or 2.) let AT&T Wireless assign me a new phone number.

My present cell number is with AT&T Wireless, is published around the world, and besides, my business office forwards calls to my cell phone number. (And, incidentally, I'm currently paying AT&T Wireless without a contract.)

There was NO WAY (after contacting six or seven different offices at AT&T Wireless during the past 24 hours) that anyone would agree to let me buy the$99 Refurbished iPhone 3G and use my existing phone number.

This is in spite of the fact that I've been a dependable customer of AT&T Wireless, and its predecessor companies, for more than 10 years (always paying on time).

This means that AT&T Wireless is offering more favorable terms solely to new customers, and ignoring their reliable customers of long standing.

All I want to do, after these experiences, is to cancel my home, business, and cellular service with AT&T, and go elsewhere.

Can you believe that any company can be this ignorant of the esteem their customers hold them in?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ducduc Posts: 4member
    Beware of this supposely great deal for the $99 iPhone!!! You have to spend an extra $30 for a sim card because $99 iPhones do not come with one. Go get yourself a new one I say!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duc View Post

Beware of this supposely great deal for the $99 iPhone!!! You have to spend an extra $30 for a sim card because $99 iPhones do not come with one. Go get yourself a new one I say!

If you have an existing sim from another phone, it might work. Back when I had problems syncing with the original iPhone over a year ago, I tried the iPhone sim on my previous phone, a Treo650 and it worked. I have since eBayed that phone for more than the price I paid without the sim card. Though I have not tested if the sim card still works since updating to iPhone3G, I still keep it as back-up along with the Treo in case my iPhone3G breaks, lost or stolen.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [QUOTE=Edgar Morgas;1378516]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T has put refurbished iPhones back on sale on its website.

In December I spent numerous hours a day, for several days, trying to get this deal and to persuade AT&T Wireless to apply the rollover minutes from my current AT&T Wireless account to the new iPhone service account.

By the time I was successful, the deal (available only on-line) had expired.

Yesterday, I again went through the same agony (speaking with numerous offices), until I was successful in getting them to agree to transfer my rollover minutes.

When I went to the Web page checkout, however, I discovered that there were two available selections for my new iPhone: either 1.) transfer a telephone number from another carrier, or 2.) let AT&T Wireless assign me a new phone number.

Can you believe that any company can be this ignorant of the esteem their customers hold them in?

Edgar, I am sorry to hear you had this difficulty. I hope AT&T cooperates with you in the future. I want to let you and others know I was successfully able to order the 16GB refurbished iPhone online using the "Upgrade" option for my Blackberry (goodBYE Blackberry!). As an afterthought I checked, and I still have my rollover minutes (I was on a 900 minute voice plan). No activation fee, and I kept my number. Three days later my iPhone arrived, and twenty minutes later I was making calls and playing Bloom.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Uncle K -- I take pleasure in learning that your transaction went well with AT&T, and that you're satisfied with the iPhone). When it comes to their current customers, however, they could learn from something Tom Peters once said: " ...I don't ask you to love your customers, but please don't act like you hate them... ".