Dow Jones claims confirmation of Apple netbook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 188
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I predict starting at $1,099.

Well Teckstud, I actually agree with you..

This idea that Apple is going to sell a 7-9-inch netbook for $599 is a joke.

3.5" iPhone = $599 ($199 + $400 from AT&T)

13" MBA = $1799

There is NO WAY that a 7-9-inch Apple branded device will sell for the same amount they sell the iPhone for. Not a chance.

With the MBA, Apple have proven that portability has it's price.
  • Reply 42 of 188
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    Quote:

MBA weighs more, has a high gloss screen, and has too large a foot print, no ports, no HDMI , no firewire, sealed battery, etc, etc- Boom???

Unless Apple decided to slip a product-change below radar, the MBA is only available with a matte-screen. No matter what angle I look at my MBA's screen, doesn't look reflective to me.

It does in fact have ports, 1-USB, and a mini display port. Probably not enough for you but suits me just fine.
  • Reply 43 of 188
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Unless Apple decided to slip a product-change below radar, the MBA is only available with a matte-screen. No matter what angle I look at my MBA's screen, doesn't look reflective to me.

It does in fact have ports, 1-USB, and a mini display port. Probably not enough for you but suits me just fine.

Huh? The MBA is glossy. From Apple Product page:

"The moment you open the new MacBook Air, you?re greeted by instant full screen brightness. And its slim design doesn?t compromise on size: the glossy 13.3-inch, widescreen LED-backlit MacBook Air display is the same viewable size as the screen on MacBook."
  • Reply 44 of 188
    but the iPhone's cost has a lot to do with the size of the hardware and the extra things (like 3G and GPS, which may not be needed in a netbook/tablet).

If they make a more conventional sized tablet, it may not be as expensive, or possibly just as expensive, as the iPod Touch (then you have to add the features like USBs and larger battery, etc). Using the rumored iPhone 3.0 processor as a base, it may not be that hard to believe that it could be in the same price range as a few high end netbooks.

My only question is - stylus or no stylus?

i like the unique touchscreen of the iPhone/iPod, but its almost impossible to use a pointing device. Unless they use some kind of wacom-like system, I could see the screen getting beat up pretty quickly.
  • Reply 45 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The MacBook Air has a full size screen, a full size keyboard and trackpad, the display port can provide HDMI out, uses a penryn processor, and Nvidia Geforce 9400 graphics, and actually contributes to Apple's profitability.

Quote:

MBA weighs more, has a high gloss screen, and has too large a foot print, no ports, no HDMI , no firewire, sealed battery, etc, etc- Boom???

• Reply 46 of 188
    Netbooks do use 3G. Netbooks have sold well in Europe because they are subsidized with 3G wireless plans.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

but the iPhone's cost has a lot to do with the size of the hardware and the extra things (like 3G and GPS, which may not be needed in a netbook/tablet).

• Reply 47 of 188
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The original MacBook Air had exactly the same internal components of the MacBook, the only difference was the low voltage CPU.

The bus speed being slower was a big difference - it was slower.
  • Reply 48 of 188
    No both MB and MBA used the same chipset with 800MHz bus.

Quote:

Wrong- The bus speed was slower.

• Reply 49 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

I find it interesting that this information was "leaked" to Dow Jones, of all places, which really isn't an all-star in the rumours game. I also noticed that APPL stocks jumped about $4 this morining...

Recall that Dow Jones is now owned by Rupert Murdoch.
  • Reply 50 of 188
    ncbillncbill Posts: 17member
    Not an apples to apples comparison.

A tower is not the same as a small form-factor (sff) PC (Mini is sff)

Go price a sff PC and you'll find it is more expensive than the Mini.

[QUOTE=DeanShu;1387771]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

Okay... Do seriously think the Mac mini is overpriced?? I want you to either go to new egg.com or tigerdirect.com and build a mini PC that has the same specs as the Mac mini.

I will help you out:

Mac mini base model:

-2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 duo Processor

-120 GB HDD

-1 GB of DDR3 RAM (no not DDR2)

--8x double-layer SuperDrive That can be swapped out for a SATA drive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics-128MB or 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

-bluetooth 2.1

- WiFi802.11 b,g,n

-One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

-Five USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps

-Mini-DVI port

-DVI output using Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (included)

-VGA output using Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

-Mini DisplayPort output

-and uses less than 13 watts ? that?s 45 percent less energy than any other desktop

-and have an OS pre-installed (Linux does not count)

Final price $599

So please, go build a mini desktop computer that cost at or less than the mac mini with specifications that match or almost match the base price version of the mac mini. Please!!! and if you do comment back. But, I doubt that will happen.

QUOTE]

Studio Slim-Tower Intel® Core? 2 Duo E7400 (3MB L2, 2.8GHz, 1066FSB) edit

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 edit

Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit

Monitors No Monitor edit

Large Displays None edit

Memory 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs edit

Hard Drive 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache? edit

Optical Drive 16X DVD+/-RW Drive edit

Video Cards ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI edit

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit

Tuners and Remotes None edit

Keyboard Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard and Laser Mouse

Same price. $599.

Note how almost all components are actually better than the Mac Mini, and that's without the typical discount codes that they offer that take up to 25% off. Your point was...?

• Reply 51 of 188
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This contradicts itself. If the keyboard is virtual, then it doesn't need a physical keyboard and if there is no physical keyboard, then there is no need for the clamshell form factor.

Also, if it is a clamshell, then Apple violates it's own rule of never having sub-sized keyboards that they have repeated many times of late, and if they are going to break that rule, then why not just make the 12" MacBook that everyone has wanted for so long?

Not saying for sure it won't happen, but it seems more likely to me that it's a small tablet with iPhone OS-X and a larger version of the same virtual thumb-type keyboards. I predict it will be released at the same time as a new "super-iPhone" with much more power and multi-tasking and that the two together will redefine the OS (again) as more of a real computing platform. If they manage to pull it off, a tablet like this could be more useful and ultimately more popular than the iPhone IMO.

I am not disagreeing with you because obviously I am just guessing, but a clamshell with a virtual keyboard is not impossible. The problem with a tablet is that it is hard to work on in any serious manner because the relationship between the screen and the keyboard. A virtual keyboard on a clamshell has some advantages as has been discussed before. It would allow for far more versatility through the flexibility of the keyboard area. I remember seeing a patent drawing, I think on AI, which showed an iPhone type device with a fold out keyboard which was essentially a piece of glass. As for Apple's view on a smaller keyboard I take that with a pinch of salt. An undersize keyboard is a given with any miniature device, be it 10", iPhone size, virtual or real.

I don't know any more than anybody here but it seems to me that Apple would want to build on the iPhone, rather than miniaturize the Air. But tablets are too difficult so I imagine something different altogether.
  • Reply 52 of 188
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Why do I need to make a choice in having to choose from 6 versions of an OS?? That does just does not make any sense at all. OS X has ONE version and does everything right out of the box. I don't understand why Microsoft can't do one version (like OS X) that has all the features.

And don't even tell me the reason for 6 different versions is because Windows has all these "cool features" on it, and they cant fit it all on one disk.

I call BS from a mile away.

While I agree that the multitude of Windows versions is ridiculous, have you not heard of OS X Server? It is a different version of Mac OS X, so that makes two versions, and isn't the iPhone OS derived from Mac OS X? so three versions. Yeah okay, so the iPhone OS is part of the appliance and OS X server may not apply to the general computing public, and there ay not be a very long list of differences between OS X and OS X server - and OS X is not exactly crippled compared to OS X server (the way that Windows Home is, especially when it comes to things like remote management). Just saying that the various "versions" of OS X are just not as prominently marketed side by side in a way that begs for any direct comparison to the way MS markets Windows (and 64 bit windows, and windows CE - or is it windows mobile now).
  • Reply 53 of 188
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

... There are some very nice slates out there on the PC side. I could see Apple making a well designed slate.

As long as it isn't too expensive college students would snap them up...

I'm not sure how this is anything other than a recipe for disappointment. Mention a "very nice" category, which is already outside the netbook's generally bandied-about price point of $400-600. Ask Apple to do something better. Then ask that it not be "too expensive". The "very nice slates" I've seen are pretty pricey.
  • Reply 54 of 188
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Netbooks do use 3G. Netbooks have sold well in Europe because they are subsidized with 3G wireless plans.

But in the use, which 3G do you support? I could be wrong, but for much of the rest of the world, don't they pretty much use the same 3G technology? So Apple could sell the tablet with a 3G chipset and the customer could use whichever 3G provider they wanted.

But in the US, the two major providers use incompatible technology, which I believe requires different chips. It's bad enough that the iPhone is tied to ATT (therefore, I will never get one). But if we are talking a more capable device, it will house more of my data, likely have more advanced (ie, more expensive) applications, etc, then I don't want it tied to a carrier that I may not have or may not keep down the road. There could be too much invested (time, money, etc) in my device that "locked in" to a single carrier would have a whole new meaning.
  • Reply 55 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

While I agree that the multitude of Windows versions is ridiculous, have you not heard of OS X Server? It is a different version of Mac OS X, so that makes two versions, and isn't the iPhone OS derived from Mac OS X? so three versions. Yeah okay, so the iPhone OS is part of the appliance and OS X server may not apply to the general computing public, and there ay not be a very long list of differences between OS X and OS X server - and OS X is not exactly crippled compared to OS X server (the way that Windows Home is, especially when it comes to things like remote management). Just saying that the various "versions" of OS X are just not as prominently marketed side by side in a way that begs for any direct comparison to the way MS markets Windows (and 64 bit windows, and windows CE - or is it windows mobile now).

He's only referring to the consumer PC versions of Windows. He didn't mention any of MS' server of mobile OSes. MS has 6, Apple has 1. MS could make one, but their business model doesn't work that way.
  • Reply 56 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

But in the US, the two major providers use incompatible technology, which I believe requires different chips. It's bad enough that the iPhone is tied to ATT.

Precisely what I was thinking.
  • Reply 57 of 188
    Yes that is a dilemma and the likely reason why Apple is not currently using 3G chips in its portables. If you are going to use a netbook it makes sense to offer 3G as an option. At the same time I'm not really arguing that Apple will introduce a netbook either.

Quote:

But in the use, which 3G do you support? I could be wrong, but for much of the rest of the world, don't they pretty much use the same 3G technology? So Apple could sell the tablet with a 3G chipset and the customer could use whichever 3G provider they wanted.

• Reply 58 of 188
    "Not an apples to apples comparison.

A tower is not the same as a small form-factor (sff) PC (Mini is sff)

Go price a sff PC and you'll find it is more expensive than the Mini." <--DeanShu

Would a Dell Studio Hybrid be sff? Not exactly the same specs, but at $449 (25% less) it's pretty comparable.

- Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache)

- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1

- No Monitor (System includes DVI and HDMI ports. VGA is not supported)

- Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)

- 2GB1 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz (2 DIMM)

- 160GB2 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

- Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

- Integrated Stereo Audio with 5.1ch digital output (S/P DIF)

- 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty,3 InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis4
  • Reply 59 of 188
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Recall that Dow Jones is now owned by Rupert Murdoch.

haha...what possible relevance does this have?
  • Reply 60 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

But in the US, the two major providers use incompatible technology, which I believe requires different chips. It's bad enough that the iPhone is tied to ATT (therefore, I will never get one).

I'm quite happy with my AT&T service. I'm glad Apple didn't team with Verizon for several reasons, but mostly because my iPhone wouldn't work in most of the world if it was CDMA based.