Late rumor has iPhone 3.0 getting copy-and-paste, multitasking

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

why not do it the way the newton did? tap/hold to start the selection, drag to select, tap and drag the selection to the edge of the screen to put it in the clipboard?

My trusty old Newton 100 is still in a drawer.
  • Reply 122 of 138
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

?He also hints that many of the software efforts in the year since iPhone 2.0 will bring the device up to the level of the Palm Pre, which while unreleased has a number of software advantages over Apple's platform.

While people await the release of the PRE, iPhone 3.0 announces tomorrow.

So now Apple needs to bring it's effort up to the level of a product that is not available. This guy needs some more Kool-Aid

I wouldn't be too happy. Tomorrow is just an announcement from Apple as well. From my understanding there won't be an actual release to consumers.
  • Reply 123 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Ok. Did anyone else notice that the original video was flash and the iPhone couldn't play it. Ha ha ha.

Of course appleinsider or someone posted it on you tube.

What a scam. Apple doesn't want flash. Google the "real reason there is no flash on the iPhone". Apple wants you to purchase they'd low quality definition of HD from their app store and not watch it free on hulu. Then of course there us the app store vs Adobe flash apps.

Just be glad millions if users have two year contracts about to expire. Keeps Apple honest.

You're an idiot. The iPhone is too slow to play back flash content satisfactorily, flash eats CPU cycles and would make the battery life suck. The iPhone has a hardware H.264 decoder chip (H.264 is an open standard, not apple proprietary) this uses minimal CPU and provides silky smooth video playback.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I wouldn't be too happy. Tomorrow is just an announcement from Apple as well. From my understanding there won't be an actual release to consumers.

But iPhone OS' updated SDK will probably be available to the public before the Pre's Mojo SDK! I wasn't one of the selected few, so still awaitin...
  • Reply 125 of 138
    Quote:

What a scam. Apple doesn't want flash. Google the "real reason there is no flash on the iPhone". Apple wants you to purchase they'd low quality definition of HD from their app store and not watch it free on hulu. Then of course there us the app store vs Adobe flash apps.

Jobs already explained publicly why there's no Flash or Flash Lite on iPhone. Adobe didn't disagree; instead, they say they're working to make Flash work.

Maybe you should just google "Apple's reason for why no flash on iPhone".
  • Reply 126 of 138
    Well. From past events...

iPhone 1.0 = First gen iPhone.

iPhone 2.0 = iPhone 3G.

iPhone 3.0 = ??????
  • Reply 127 of 138
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    It's nice to find out a little in advance as to what we are to get in an update, but tell me, please, why do so many people use the "F" bomb word so frequently. It is really in poor taste. We really should have a "No Cuss Week".... These guys owe a whole bunch of quarters to the cuss can.
  • Reply 128 of 138
    Clearly, we are going to have to see a major UI instrument make headway, and the only logical answer is two-finger taps. Not quite the way you might see it on the mac for contextual menu select, but it would be what would amount to "paused double-tap"

In other words, one finger held down brings up the cursor and glass. A second tap anywhere marks your beginning and locks selection mode. When you're done selecting a second finger tap marks the end and brings up the menu, which might say "send to clipboard" or "send to notes" or something like that. To paste, you would tap and hold to get the glass, and tap with a second finger to paste where the cursor is.
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

All of these issues are intertwined. All of these problems have to be solved to make the entire process work. You are correct the magnifying glass is a good solution for selecting text. The problem is a conflict in gestures. The magnifying glass is currently used to move the curser. There needs to be some intuitive way to inform the phone that you want to use the magnifying glass to select text instead of using it to only move the curser.

I addressed the gesture conflict on post #89 regarding selecting texts. Intuitive or not, at least what I suggest is theoretically feasible and does not have conflicts with the current iPhone gestures. In short, "One tap+Drag" is the magnify glass feature to target the "cursor" where users want to input texts, which we're all familiar with. On the other hand, "Double tap+Drag" is to select text with the magnify glass.
  • Reply 130 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

...and does not have conflicts with the current iPhone gestures. In short, "One tap+Drag" is the magnify glass feature to target the "cursor" where users want to input texts

Tap and drag in Safari on the iPhone and you move the page around. At the very least you'll have to tap and hold until you get a magnifie (or some other option to enable a cursor). You must not have an iPhone or iPod Touch if you are having so much trouble with this concept.
  • Reply 131 of 138
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    To all of you whining that the iPhone is not up to par with the Palm Pre, please tell me where I can get one. The Pre is not even released yet! I have no doubt that Apple is going to take another couple steps ahead of the rest of the industry once June rolls around with the new iPhone hardware. I just find it comical that all of you are comparing a phone that is literally almost 2 years old now to a phone that hasn't even hit the market yet, but completely disregarding the fact that Apple is not just sitting by and doing nothing. We all know they will release new hardware, and I for one am confident that it will be a major overhaul.
  • Reply 132 of 138
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

?He also hints that many of the software efforts in the year since iPhone 2.0 will bring the device up to the level of the Palm Pre, which while unreleased has a number of software advantages over Apple's platform.

While people await the release of the PRE, iPhone 3.0 announces tomorrow.

So now Apple needs to bring it's effort up to the level of a product that is not available. This guy needs some more Kool-Aid

dude. I was the national marketing and promo director for a major firm.

You don't think palm knows that in June millions of iPhone users contracts will expire?

Palm rumored to have flash, gps turn by turn, video and non mobile windows. If they get this and a hood browser say chrome, safari, something no smart phone has less the iPhone, a good browsing experience, Palm might have it made, especially if cheap and on various carriers. It's great news. Apple cornered and has no choice. Now we need something like 8 core sun os that runs mac or msft software in order fir Apple to be cornered again. Fir Apple users you fail to see this is ALL GREAT NEWS for Apple supporters.

Go other developers. Ran rah rah.
  • Reply 133 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

It's nice to find out a little in advance as to what we are to get in an update, but tell me, please, why do so many people use the "F" bomb word so frequently. It is really in poor taste. We really should have a "No Cuss Week".... These guys owe a whole bunch of quarters to the cuss can.

I hear ya. For example some movies could still be great without being crass and would garner a larger audience to boot. Something Apple should do. Make products at better price points and more powerul. Not mobile chips in 80% of devices.
  • Reply 134 of 138
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

I already replied post #102 in post #107 to point out that you're still stuck with the concept that cursor has to act the way it is in desktop computers, even now. The post in #89 already addressed the two states of repositioning/pointing and selecting issue you mentioned, which iPhone software can theoretically help switch the two states. I'm the one wants to beg you to read through what I wrote before you keep mentioning the issue that you think I did not address when I already did.

I did not reply post #100 because it is simply too hard to convince the efficiency of a interface method in theory. The theory I mentioned might not be the best way, but it's feasible and it does not conflict with the current iPhone UI and gestures.

I agree now. We (I don't want to skip my share in that) have actually rectified the problem.

Yes, the reappearing cursor under the magnifying glass can mark the start and the end points of the selection. No arguments. (It is much less convenient than on desktop systems, yet in principle it can. Ex: you start the selection, then you change your mind, you need another starting point, it becomes a mess on iPhone)

Telling iPhone it should be in selection mode is tough. Zooming double taps are easy to confuse with those beginning selection. And first version of iPhone reserved already a lot of gestures for other purposes.

The experiment will tell. But I feel right now I would not use cut'n'past readily, if selection mode were activated by double tap and hold.
  • Reply 135 of 138
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Double tape and hold is booked on iPhone! Notes application considers it to be like single tap and hold and brings the lens up...

What a mess!
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:

You don't think palm knows that in June millions of iPhone users contracts will expire?

You don't think apple knows that on June 29th and 30th, hundreds of thousands (not millions) of iPhone users contracts will expire?

Quote:

Palm rumored to have flash, gps turn by turn, video and non mobile windows. If they get this and a hood browser say chrome, safari, something no smart phone has less the iPhone, a good browsing experience, Palm might have it made, especially if cheap and on various carriers.

Some mighty big ifs.

"cheap" - It seems Palm wanted to price it higher than $199. Now rumors are saying that the lowest it will be is $199.

"on various carriers" - already know it's only on Sprint until the end of the year.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You don't think apple knows that on June 29th and 30th, hundreds of thousands (not millions) of iPhone users contracts will expire?

Some mighty big ifs.

"cheap" - It seems Palm wanted to price it higher than $199. Now rumors are saying that the lowest it will be is $199.

"on various carriers" - already know it's only on Sprint until the end of the year.

Ahhhhh 45 million phones sold. Google it. And fir the first ten that paid $700 or more, they will care less about early termination fees heck, I waited fir 3g, paid $199 and will cancel if the palm is better. Second the HTC series,cluncky but what work bought me and is replacing by months end, is also on Sprint and retails for $700. So a good exchange phone with word will be goobled up by business, sort of like what IT predicts will happen with windows 7 since a majority of business are still on windows XP.

And since when has Apple cared what we want????? All mobile chips on every device except mac pro and no Intel cheaper awesome I7 series machine. Yeah, Apple really cares. They have been so busy with iPhone they care less about pro users (yeah final cut may come out) but Apple used to sell mid range priced machines Mac Pros, now they cost more and barley beat older ten machines and 30% higher than first pros and G5s. Again, apple doesn't care. They are only turning up the heat on the iPhone due to pre- this is what it will be announced today but not ship until June I bet. Around the same time as the Palm Pre.

Again, this is all good for Apple users except machine pricing.
  • Reply 138 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Ahhhhh 45 million phones sold. Google it. And fir the first ten that paid $700 or more, they will care less about early termination fees heck, I waited fir 3g, paid $199 and will cancel if the palm is better. Second the HTC series,cluncky but what work bought me and is replacing by months end, is also on Sprint and retails for $700. So a good exchange phone with word will be goobled up by business, sort of like what IT predicts will happen with windows 7 since a majority of business are still on windows XP.

And since when has Apple cared what we want????? All mobile chips on every device except mac pro and no Intel cheaper awesome I7 series machine. Yeah, Apple really cares. They have been so busy with iPhone they care less about pro users (yeah final cut may come out) but Apple used to sell mid range priced machines Mac Pros, now they cost more and barley beat older ten machines and 30% higher than first pros and G5s. Again, apple doesn't care. They are only turning up the heat on the iPhone due to pre- this is what it will be announced today but not ship until June I bet. Around the same time as the Palm Pre.

Again, this is all good for Apple users except machine pricing.

Not listening to your wants and not producing products that covers all user's wants is not the same as not listening to consumers. Perhaps you should listen to the market as a whole and to Apple. Then you'd see that the xMac would probably not be the money maker for Apple you want it to be.

Even if Apple produced this mythical desktop PC you et al. Most likely would not be with Apple being Apple. The CPU would probably be soldered to save money. They'd probably limit the max RAM. The number of HDD and optical drive bays, and PCIe slots would less than other, cheaper PCs in towers.

Personally, I would love a revived Cube design but what I want isn't neccessarily what is best for Apple.