iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search

Comments

• Reply 181 of 266
    longfanglongfang Posts: 459member
    Why do you guys put up with paying for calls/messages you receive? Most other countries only the person calling/sending pays.
  • Reply 182 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Is there really any need for bad language?

It's not the best grammer or particularly good syntax, but I wouldn't call it "bad language"
  • Reply 183 of 266
    YOU CAN TURN OFF MMS

....There...End OF All Arguments about the pro's and con's of MMS.

Each and everyone can choose what works best for themselves.

YOU CAN TURN OFF MMS

YOU CAN TURN OFF MMS

YOU CAN TURN OFF MMS
  • Reply 184 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't think you have to look all that hard for it. I don't like the idea of being forced to pay for a service that costs the company next to nothing to implement, especially when there are free alternatives that work just as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well done. You managed to squeeze out a negative angle. There's always shit when you look hard enough.

• Reply 185 of 266
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longfang View Post

Why do you guys put up with paying for calls/messages you receive? Most other countries only the person calling/sending pays.

While I cant say if it's true everywhere, we've been told from people out of the US that we get more minutes on our plans than they do. Whether this is still true or not, I can't say. But if it is, that's why. A lot of it balances out.
  • Reply 186 of 266
    Things developed this way largely because mobile carriers want to encourage people to use SMS/MMS and do not want to encourage people to use email or other communications service that do not involve paying them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Email is certainly LESS universal on cell phones than text. There are still a lot of non-smart phones out there. Granted, some of them can send/receive email, but it is certainly a 3rd class application on these phones, a pain to use and unreliable. In certain circles email may be gaining traction but by and large, texting is the universal messaging format right now.

All this is changing and I like Kickaha's idea of phones automatically figuring out the proper configuration to send emails through an SMS/MMS gateway to people's phones to be delivered as SMS. That only replaces half the SMS traffic though (no more SMS originating at the handsets, but still just as many received). Maybe its a good enough stopgap to see us through until all phones handle email thru a push service. Then we can really stick a fork in SMS.

• Reply 187 of 266
    We also get to carry our phones state to state without incurring extra cost. So we get to use our phones over a larger area.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While I cant say if it's true everywhere, we've been told from people out of the US that we get more minutes on our plans than they do. Whether this is still true or not, I can't say. But if it is, that's why. A lot of it balances out.

• Reply 188 of 266
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

The sooner phones support push mail, the sooner we can get away from this closed-wall network model.

i agree whole-heartedly. i have been using email on my phone for around 4 or so years, but still rack up large bills from sms due to most of my friends not having email-enabled phones (or not enabling the email on their phones). the sooner email takes over completely from sms (and mms) the better.

that said, i am glad that mms is coming to the iPhone just so that it is one less thing for ppl to whine about (though now we have gloating to put-up with...)
  • Reply 189 of 266
    I pay $0 for unlimited email. It can send large pictures, video, audio, HTML graphics, and messages that contain thousands of characters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

Not all countries have expensive MMS. I'm in Australia, and i pay $3 (yes $3) a month for UNLIMITED MMS. You don't believe how infuriating it was not to be able to send of receive any. It's massive in this country.

• Reply 190 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Did anyone else laugh when they saw the Lost reference in the top photo? Oceanic Flight 815.

Yeah haha i thought it was hilarious. It was a nice little creative touch, but i'm a big lost fan so i guess it just seems cool to me.
  • Reply 191 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

We also get to carry our phones state to state without incurring extra cost. So we get to use our phones over a larger area.

That's true. The US is the size of Europe. We don't need all of those different laws, rules, and cross licensing nonsense. All of the carriers have deals to carry calls where their own networks don't go, except for 3G, where you would be subject to charges sometimes.
  • Reply 192 of 266
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Man I'm so pissed that I can't do MMS with my 2G iPhone

I'll wait for the next one in June (hoping that there will be one)

What the hell are you talking about? 2G? Do you mean the 2nd generation iphone which is called the 3G iphone because of its 3G chip? If so then your still confusing me because these updates, including MMS and A2DP bluetooth support, will be in the iphone 3.0 and both generations of the ipod touch.

In the presentation they said MMS and full bluetooth support won't be available for the original iphone but everything else will.

EDIT: Oh I get it. When you say "2G" your talking about edge or in other words the original iphone. I would rather it referred to as the original iphone or iphone 1.0.
  • Reply 193 of 266
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

What I got from Live Coverage is:
    • cut 'n' paste implementation is not really system-wide and is not consistent with existing gesture scheme;

• is quite limited not to say useless; the typical operation is to paste into edited text, not to cut from it.

Further more systematic reports may certainly alter my opinion, but right now I dare say, Apple fails to solve cut 'n' paste puzzle.

Besides, there is a lot of really cool stuff in 3.0...

Sorry, but I watched the presentation and it seemed to me that cut would work. Although Scott did choose to use "copy" for his examples.
  • Reply 194 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I can carry my phone from one end of the UK to the other without incurring any costs either!
  • Reply 195 of 266
    sisksisk Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Feel for me then, because every month on my AT&T bill I have a little section that includes all SMS's sent to my phone, regardless of who sends them, or whether I know the person, or if it's spam... at a quarter a pop.

The 'solution' according to AT&T is to give them $5 a month. *There is no way to turn it off, reject messages, or argue with customer service*. Got it?

I pay per msg, or I give them $5 a month in protection money. Those are my choices.

So yes, I do get forced into paying for other people's fascination with getting their own rectums reamed by the carriers.

And it's only going to get worse, thanks to my &*(%#$ brother who passed out my phone number to some of his drinking buddies, who like sending pictures to each other when out drinking.

OR, you can DISABLE text messaging all together, THERE IS A WAY to restrict text messages of all sorts

so yeah, there is

go to a store, tell them to do it, and no I'm not some idiot who is assuming stuff, i could tell you the freakin' SOC code for the feature necessary as I've worked for AT&T

now find something else to complain about.. I've never seen someone so irate over paying 5 bucks for something..
  • Reply 196 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I can carry my phone from one end of the UK to the other without incurring any costs either!

Wow! And that's exactly how far?
  • Reply 197 of 266
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Wow! And that's exactly how far?

And we wonder how is it that Brits can't stomach us Yanks since we through that tea party.

I'm with you on this, by the way. Covering the U.K. is like covering the State of Idaho.

The United Kingdom: 94,526 sq mi

The State of Idaho: 83,642 sq mi

That's gotta be bloody hard!!
  • Reply 198 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And we wonder how is it that Brits can't stomach us Yanks since we through that tea party.

I'm with you on this, by the way. Covering the U.K. is like covering the State of Idaho.

The United Kingdom: 94,526 sq mi

The State of Idaho: 83,642 sq mi

That's gotta be bloody hard!!

I think that our friends in that lovely isle, where my daughter will be spending her next four years, forget just how big the US (and Canada) is.
  • Reply 199 of 266
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

I think that our friends in that lovely isle, where my daughter will be spending her next four years, forget just how big the US (and Canada) is.

How can we forget, you never stop telling us!
  • Reply 200 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

How can we forget, you never stop telling us!

Because you guys are always telling us how easy everything is to rollout. It is in small countries. But not here.