iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search

Comments

• Reply 241 of 266
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The typical Apple fanboy mentality is "If Apple currently doesn't have it, then it doesn't matter". And they go to great lengths rationalizing Apple's current policies and dismissing anybody who disagrees with Apple. But now Apple has made those fanboys look like total idiots, but those fanboys can't even admit that they were wrong. So the question is will these fanboys learn from this week's events and not be so dismissive in the future? Or will they continue dismissing people's requests, only to look stupid again later on? For example:

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really really SWEET.

Apple should not implement copy and paste in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about copy and paste in the iPhone.

Apple should not implement MMS in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about MMS.

Apple should not support 3G in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about 3G.

Apple should not put GPS in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about GPS.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about watching video on an iPod.

Apple should not make laptops easier to service. Nobody needs, wants or cares about ease of service. If Apple makes a laptop the slightest bit easier to service in any way whatsoever, the laptop will be so intolerably large and heavy that it will collapse in on itself and create a black hole.

Apple should not implement preemptive multitasking or memory protection in Mac OS. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about preemptive multitasking and memory protection because Macs never crash.

Apple should not implement dynamic memory allocation in Mac OS. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about dynamic memory allocation. Just click Get Info and change the number yourself.

Apple should not make menus stay open when you click the mouse button once. System 7 menus are better because you have to hold down the mouse button to keep menus open.

Apple will never make a multibutton mouse. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Didn't you post most of this already?
  • Reply 242 of 266
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If at first, you don't succeed... troll, troll again.
  • Reply 243 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

By the way, I never said she was a genius. You've been using that word. So, unless you think YOU'RE a genius, in which case when I said she might be smarter than either of us, you felt you had to make that point?

Sorry Mel, but you were somewhat obnoxious (hopefully unintentionally) in your defense of her.

Especially the "she's a millionaire, how much did you make last year" comment. I'm actually very well off financially now (ironically, for much the same reason as Paris- wealthy family with foresight and real estate... and the properties have just now finally been paid off, so it's one heckuva profit machine going forward), but the reasoning behind the whole "if you're rich, you are beyond reproach" jibe is just so... lame. Remember Tactic #1 of the Microsoft fanboi? "Ohh, you guys are just jealous of Bill Gates, 'cuz he's so rich. You just wish you were him."

I mean...barf. It's a loathsome defense, period, because it implies that the rich are beyond criticism because... they're rich. If the current financial crisis has taught us nothing else, it's that the rich and powerful can be quite stupid, and do indeed f*** up plenty. And usually cause way more damage than Joe Sixpack while doing so.

Now, Paris isn't in the same league as a Bernard Madoff or the guys who ran AIG into the ground, not even close. But it is hard to respect someone who's basically 'famous for being famous' and who so consistently turns out such utter crap in terms of movies and music, all the while acting like something of a retard on a sugar high.

When that changes, let me know, and I'll be happy to re-evaluate my opinion of her.

Quote:

Others have bet against me in the past here with statements like that, and were wrong too.

I got into a big argument, for example, with a few people about Flash and SSD size and pricing. That went on for days. They were willing to bet as well. They were also completely wrong. That's just one example. Good luck on this.

Hey, even Joe Louis gets knocked out of the ring eventually.

No one bats a thousand Mel... not even Stevie J. And if he can't do it, what makes you think you can?

• Reply 244 of 266
    Quote:

The typical Apple fanboy mentality is "If Apple currently doesn't have it, then it doesn't matter". And they go to great lengths rationalizing Apple's current policies and dismissing anybody who disagrees with Apple. But now Apple has made those fanboys look like total idiots, but those fanboys can't even admit that they were wrong. So the question is will these fanboys learn from this week's events and not be so dismissive in the future? Or will they continue dismissing people's requests, only to look stupid again later on? For example:

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really really SWEET.

Apple should not implement copy and paste in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about copy and paste in the iPhone.

Apple should not implement MMS in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about MMS.

Apple should not support 3G in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about 3G.

Apple should not put GPS in the iPhone. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about GPS.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about watching video on an iPod.

Apple should not make laptops easier to service. Nobody needs, wants or cares about ease of service. If Apple makes a laptop the slightest bit easier to service in any way whatsoever, the laptop will be so intolerably large and heavy that it will collapse in on itself and create a black hole.

Apple should not implement preemptive multitasking or memory protection in Mac OS. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about preemptive multitasking and memory protection because Macs never crash.

Apple should not implement dynamic memory allocation in Mac OS. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about dynamic memory allocation. Just click Get Info and change the number yourself.

Apple should not make menus stay open when you click the mouse button once. System 7 menus are better because you have to hold down the mouse button to keep menus open.

Apple will never make a multibutton mouse. Nobody needs, wants, or cares about a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Sums it up.

• Reply 245 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Sorry Mel, but you were somewhat obnoxious (hopefully unintentionally) in your defense of her.

Actually, I wasn't, you were. I merely pointed out that she could be smart when you jumped to dismiss her.

Then you went nuts over it. Why do you have such a fixation over her?

I made a simple comment, and you're turning it into a diatribe!

Quote:

Especially the "she's a millionaire, how much did you make last year" comment. I'm actually very well off financially now (ironically, for much the same reason as Paris- wealthy family with foresight and real estate... and the properties have just now finally been paid off, so it's one heckuva profit machine going forward), but the reasoning behind the whole "if you're rich, you are beyond reproach" jibe is just so... lame. Remember Tactic #1 of the Microsoft fanboi? "Ohh, you guys are just jealous of Bill Gates, 'cuz he's so rich. You just wish you were him."

She's made money on her own. More power to her.

Quote:

I mean...barf. It's a loathsome defense, period, because it implies that the rich are beyond criticism because... they're rich. If the current financial crisis has taught us nothing else, it's that the rich and powerful can be quite stupid, and do indeed f*** up plenty. And usually cause way more damage than Joe Sixpack while doing so.

Now, Paris isn't in the same league as a Bernard Madoff or the guys who ran AIG into the ground, not even close. But it is hard to respect someone who's basically 'famous for being famous' and who so consistently turns out such utter crap in terms of movies and music, all the while acting like something of a retard on a sugar high.

When that changes, let me know, and I'll be happy to re-evaluate my opinion of her.

I don't know what you're talking about here. This has nothing to do with what we were talking about at all.

Quote:

Hey, even Joe Louis gets knocked out of the ring eventually.

No one bats a thousand Mel... not even Stevie J. And if he can't do it, what makes you think you can?

My predictions have been pretty good. Why are you bringing Jobs into this?

I'm keeping this local, while you're bringing the whole world into it.
  • Reply 246 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple will never build an undersea lair, from which Steve Jobs implements his nefarious plan to use satellites that send RDF signals to all of Apple's devices that hypnotize people into consumer zombies who continuing to purchase over priced and under featured Apple products.

Apple will absolutely positively never do anything like that.

Quote:

Apple will never........

• Reply 247 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its a mistake to assume that she is unintelligent simply because she has built her fame on low brow stunts that play to a low brow audience.

The essence of a good business person is to identify a market and provide a product or service that that market desires. Paris Hilton has done that and makes lots of money at it, even if you don't approve of her service or her market.

I do agree though that it say something really bad about our society when someone like this is acceptable as a public figure. It should be the first hints that Rome is about to burn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

• Reply 248 of 266
    Quote:

Actually, I wasn't, you were. I merely pointed out that she could be smart when you jumped to dismiss her.

Then you went nuts over it. Why do you have such a fixation over her?

I made a simple comment, and you're turning it into a diatribe!

She's made money on her own. More power to her.

I don't know what you're talking about here. This has nothing to do with what we were talking about at all.

My predictions have been pretty good. Why are you bringing Jobs into this?

I'm keeping this local, while you're bringing the whole world into it.

Sigh. I think we're done here. Right?

• Reply 249 of 266
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The copy/paste is missing at least one feature I'd like to see before it's released.

In the demo Forestal pasted in the same font, size and colour from where he copied the text, but he didn't show an option to Paste and Match Style. I'd like the ability to hold down the paste button to have additional options appear. The same way you with the keyboard to see accented letters.
  • Reply 250 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The copy/paste is missing at least one feature I'd like to see before it's released.

In the demo Forestal pasted in the same font, size and colour from where he copied the text, but he didn't show an option to Paste and Match Style. I'd like the ability to hold down the paste button to have additional options appear. The same way you with the keyboard to see accented letters.

Somewhere, it was said that it preserves formatting. how far that goes, I don't know, but rarely does cut/paste preserve fonts.
  • Reply 251 of 266
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Somewhere, it was said that it preserves formatting. how far that goes, I don't know, but rarely does cut/paste preserve fonts.

In the demo it shows it preserving the fonts from where it was copied from. Same as with copying on a Mac.

While I don't expect to use this feature often I do hope I have this option so I don't have to do some workaround, like pasting into the basic text window and then copying again to get vanilla text.
  • Reply 252 of 266
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Wow, step away for a couple days and get unjustly insulted. :-(

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sisk View Post

... $60/year charge so you don't have to worry about paying PER text? It's obvious that the smarter decision, if you receive text messages sporatically, just to pay the $5 and have it done with instead of worrying about it. Call it extortion call it whatever you want - the simple fact is YOU CHOSE APPLE AND AT&T. In fact, you had 30 days to decide whether or not to keep the service and equipment with only paying a 10% restocking fee on the phone.

Dude. Or Dudette, whatever. You're apparently upset enough about the issue to jump to incorrect conclusions.

I DO NOT USE AN IPHONE. I don't need all the bullshit stuff attached to the plan, so I AM making the smarter decision. I would love to have access to a browser wherever I go, but that's about the extent of it, and I'm not interested in playing their game. I am, however, planning to get an iPod Touch, which allows me to do almost everything I would like to do without ANY "plan" or extra ongoing charges for stuff I don't need or want.

Kickaha said it so perfectly that I'm just going to paste his reply here. Consider it said again. Thanks kick', at least I know someone gets it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I simply want internet access without being pickpocketed for the other $5. You know, like every other device I own. A phone isn't special anymore, it's just another internet device. It should be priced like one. That $5 is a holdover from a legacy technology. The rest of the money I spend gets me a *LOT* of value for that $30. That $5? Gets me *nothing*. That's the point. It's $5 *wasted*, as opposed to $30 spent for a very useful service.

Imagine if you were charged by your ISP for every email that you got, regardless of if you wanted it. That's the way it used to be, but consumers demanded that they stop it, and move to a reasonable model. For some reason, that tipping point hasn't occurred in the cell industry...

• Reply 253 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In the demo it shows it preserving the fonts from where it was copied from. Same as with copying on a Mac.

While I don't expect to use this feature often I do hope I have this option so I don't have to do some workaround, like pasting into the basic text window and then copying again to get vanilla text.

I rarely get fonts preserved on my Mac. It depends on where they're being transplanted to, and how the fonts are embedded in the original file, and what fonts you have active.
  • Reply 254 of 266
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Imagine if you were charged by your ISP for every email that you got, regardless of if you wanted it. That's the way it used to be, but consumers demanded that they stop it, and move to a reasonable model. For some reason, that tipping point hasn't occurred in the cell industry, and I lay the blame directly at the feet of uneducated consumers who insist that SMS/MMS are 'necessary'. There are options. Use them, shut off your messaging, and dry up the funding source for the carriers.

I don't believe enough people care, unfortunately. At least not right now. So the service providers will keep milking it for as long as they can.

That said, I absolutely believe the day will come when this "legacy" pricing model will disappear for text messages, just as it did with email. The recession may bring changes sooner than would have happened otherwise. One can only hope.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-186782617.html
  • Reply 255 of 266
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

The typical Apple fanboy mentality is "If Apple currently doesn't have it, then it doesn't matter".

You should have never heard what linux fanboys used to say
  • Reply 256 of 266
    dbl.....
  • Reply 257 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Others have bet against me in the past here with statements like that, and were wrong too.

I got into a big argument, for example, with a few people about Flash and SSD size and pricing. That went on for days. They were willing to bet as well. They were also completely wrong. That's just one example. Good luck on this.

Well, here we are about two years later... aaaand nope, no luck needed, 'parently. Mobile email has not replaced much of anything.

Texting? Still damn popular.

MMS? Still damn popular.

So, Final Score: TBaggins 1, Mel 0.

No offense, Mel. You're a great guy. But Nostradamus, you is not.
  • Reply 258 of 266
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    By resurecting this thread, you were probably hoping to reputation monger and make yourself look good. But looking back through the past few pages, it has done more to make you look like an annoying jerkwad. MMS is hardly mentioned at all. Instead it is just petty bickering where the original argument is largely lost.
  • Reply 259 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

By resurecting this thread, you were probably hoping to reputation monger and make yourself look good. But looking back through the past few pages, it has done more to make you look like an annoying jerkwad. MMS is hardly mentioned at all. Instead it is just petty bickering where the original argument is largely lost.

Nah. If you check out my 'recent posts' list, I'm hardly ever here anymore at AI... been in like three threads in the last year and a half. So, my rep here matters not a whit to me. But hey, thanks for playing.

Btw, calling me names kinda just makes you look bad, not me. Though I do agree the original argument got lost in the back and forth. But, 'it takes two', an' all that.

In any case, getting back to the original argument/prediction... for the record, Mel, much as I dig him, wound up being wrong. The two-year time period of the original prediction has concluded. Not much more to add there.

• Reply 260 of 266
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    If it isn't for reputation, why did you dredge up a 2 year old squabble? And this isn't even the only thread in which you dredged it back up.

The juvenile name calling was intentional. And you know what? Your momma wears combat boots too.

... that's the level of argument we're dealing with. It stopped being about MMS a few pages and a couple years ago. At one point, I think there was even arguing over Paris Hilton.