First non-Apple Mini DisplayPort-compatible displays unveiled

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm assuming here that the rumours that these are TN panels are accurate. (Edit: Okay, I see above they are MVA)

I don't understand the timing, given that e-IPS panels are supposed to be on the market very soon, and should be price competitive with TN panels. In addition to their having the colour accuracy that Mac Users are accustomed to.

Maybe Apple locked up supplies of e-IPS panels early. Or maybe my info on e-IPS is wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    These look like [email protected] dont care how cheap these are.

They look like knocks offs....

I will pass.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Jack

CinemaView Staff

Whooa!

Is this that Jack guy that used to run a fly by night operation making Mac peripherals years ago?

I can't remember the name.

Anyone?
  • Reply 24 of 84
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Is DVI dead to Apple or what?

Looks like i'll be going back to Viewsonic when my Glass Apple Cinema HD Display goes.

I had a choice over this or the new aluminum ones (5 years ago). I made the right choice as the aluminum ones are crapping out. The glass ones look way better anyways. Always get 'wow' remarks when people come by the studio. They also sit better on a desk.

One of Apple's better products for sure. Except for the stupid ADC thing and the $150 adapter to make it go.

And yes, i've named the little dead spider inside the glass case, (most shipped with a tiny dead spider inside), his name is Earl.

Wish Apple would get back in the display game for the other 97% of us.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

If it's a matte finish I'll buy it.

The photo shows it to be "glossy."

So we have "thick bezels" and "gloss". Why would anyone willfully want to pay money for that? Indeed, getting rid of the glossy-hell is the main reason to look outside Apple for other monitor choices.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

If it's a matte finish I'll buy it.

"the third-party display sports a slightly lower resolution and not use LED backlighting like Apple's. It's also unclear from the CinemaView website whether the displays use lower-quality TN panels, and representatives for Collins didn't respond to requests for comment as of press time."

You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    http://www.collinsamerica.com/

If you look at the other 'quality' products that they offer, I think you might get a better understanding about this company. First, most is just junk and only one of ten items is a shipping product while the rest are pre-orders.

For a company that has been in business since 1971, that is pretty pathetic offering. I would most definitely wait for this to ship and get reviewed before spending any money.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

The photo shows it to be "glossy."

So we have "thick bezels" and "gloss". Why would anyone willfully want to pay money for that? Indeed, getting rid of the glossy-hell is the main reason to look outside Apple for other monitor choices.

Each to there own but i like the gloss screens better than the washed out looking screens you all seem to want...
  • Reply 29 of 84
    I think they look great and certainly offer some value. Thumbs up.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Whooa!

Is this that Jack guy that used to run a fly by night operation making Mac peripherals years ago?

Jack Campbell, and yes it is (http://whois.domaintools.com/cinemaview.com). It's funny 'cause the ad copy reads just like his old stuff--the clearly inflated quality claims and sheer chutzpah to try to out-Apple Apple.

Buyer beware.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I'm definitely interested. And I like the extra wide bezel as it appears to frame the screen with more black, which is helpful when photo editing and colour correcting.

yeah maybe, except the quality of the panel makes color correcting pretty pointless.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

These look like [email protected] dont care how cheap these are.

They look like knocks offs....

I will pass.

100% agreed. And if Apple is awarded a design patent on its displays and iMac, this company won't be selling for long if ever.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    These displays stand too high on their feet.

In addition, for physiologic reasons (height of one's eyes) they should all line up with the tops of the screens, rather than the bottoms of the screens.

I, for one, spend most of my viewing near the top of the screen. The menus are there as well.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Ok, so they have miniDP, but do they support HDCP? You might be surprised if you find out that your shiny new monitor won't display your HD iTunes videos.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    The monitors themselves don't look bad to me. But looking at the 10 products Collins America lists on their web site, it appears to me that only one is actually available for purchase at this time, despite their being 5 'current products' listed. Doesn't 'coming soon' mean something other than 'current'?

For reference:

http://www.aboutjack.com/faq.shtml

And:

http://www.aboutjack.com/bio.html#bio
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Off his website....

Quote:

Have you been in prison?

Yes. I was convicted in federal court in 1992 for a variety of bank fraud and income tax violations, and spent almost 5-years (1992 - 1997) in federal prison. If you're truly curious for details, you can read my extended biography here.

Even considering the rest of the page, do we want to be buying stuff from him?

He still seems pretty shady..
  • Reply 37 of 84
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
  • Reply 38 of 84
    These displays are really crappy. The 19" has a maximum resolution of 1440x900. even the 17" MBP has 1920x1200, and the 24" display only goes up to 1920x1080.

EDIT:

As an afterthought, I suppose these monitors are not really aimed at professionals.. They would go perfect with the Mac Mini. The Apple LED display costs $300 more then the Mac Mini, and no one would really spend that much more on a monitor.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Wow forget about Jack in the Box

Jack Campbell is back! What a blast from the past.

Ok ..all is clear now.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The Spokesman's wrong, but the MVA is a nice middle ground.

I'll take a 178/178 H-IPS any day of the week and twice on sunday.