Apple may give Safari audio controls to silence irritating websites

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I only enhance if you listening to something else. Otherwise - the mute key would suffice.

I think it would still be useful to have per-site adjustments. Some sites have the volume cranked higher than others, for video or audio sites, it would be nice to have them equalized so the dial doesn't have to be adjusted for every site opening. Besides, if you had a mute button, would it mute for the entire browser or just one page? Some audio is sometimes desired.

Quote:

Interesting - I have to check this out.

For Firefox, it's Flashblock. I can't find anything for Safari that does it in a similar way and not a pain to install. I might use Safari a lot more if I found a plugin that I liked.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

Doesn't Vista already have per-app volume control?

That would be useful. I wouldn't know, I'm wary of betas and don't feel like paying to upgrade my computer or OS.

Per-site volume control would be of a lot of value too, and this is per-site, not per-app. Haven't you ever had a site where the sound level is set to the max, or the site's video offered no level control? This sort of thing would let you manage the levels so switching video sites doesn't mean jumping for the volume dial every time.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Apple has a history of *not* allowing the user this level of control over the details though, so I wouldn't hold my breath for this feature to be implemented. Safari in particular has often been criticized for it's minimal preferences and controls. Unless this is something that directly bugs Steve Jobs, it may not happen.

An advanced feature I would love. Nothing worse than wearing headphones for a movie/song, and being interrupted because another application's 'bing' decides to chime in. I've always wanted an option to "play alerts through the speaker even when headphones are plugged in" type of setting, but to no avail. So given that, I'm almost surprised they would try to wrangle it in Safari. perhaps Steve was tired of hearing "Congratulations..." come out of nowhere
  • Reply 44 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

Doesn't Vista already have per-app volume control?

Yes but it's not the same.

What we're asking for is granular control within a single app not being able to control volume in multiple apps.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

It's about time !!!

I hear you the one I hate the Most "Congratulations, you just won a Brand New iPod!"
  • Reply 46 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Not that you're bitter or resentful.

No- just facetious- hence the eye wink.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

While I guess I appreciate any new add-on, where is the most important missing Safari feature for me and many others- the ability to roll up the address/tool bar and give me a full screen experience with the click of a button? Like on most browsers. \

The ability to roll up the address bar is there. Or are you saying you'd prefer a button on the toolbar rather than having to click View>Hide toolbar?

Just program a keyboard shortcut for this - problem solved.

• Reply 48 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

It's sad when this is your best post. Now if only Teckstud would copy your style this forum could stay on a mature track.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The ability to roll up the address bar is there. Or are you saying you'd prefer a button on the toolbar rather than having to click View>Hide toolbar?

Just program a keyboard shortcut for this - problem solved.

A simple AppleScript to Hide all the view options shouldn't be that hard, but is this something that most people want? The idea of doing that is such a Windows methodology. With Macs it's not really the same problem.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My Mac is at home, Firefox for Windows doesn't seem to have any such button.

Full screen as in it takes over everything, or as in it's like maximize, I can still see the dock and menu bar?

Y'know, if you poke around a bit, that option is already there.

In Safari 4 beta:

View Menu: Look at the TOP FOUR ITEMS"

Hide Book Marks Bar - Command - Shift- B

Hide Status Bar - Command - /

Hide Tab Bar - Command - Shift - T

Hide Toolbar - Command | (Shift - \\)
  • Reply 50 of 79
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's sad when this is your best post. Of only Teckstud would copy your style this forum could stay on a mature track.

A simple AppleScript to Hide all the view options shouldn't be that hard, but is this something that most people want? The idea of doing that is such a Windows methodology. With Macs it's not really the same problem.

I just opened up keyboard shortcuts and created a shortcut in less than 5 seconds... easy!
  • Reply 51 of 79
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In some ways that is true, but it there is also a very simple to use plug-in for Firefox that lets me selectively play Flash objects, which I find to be indispensable. Nothing I've found so far for Safari is as easy to use or install.

Check out the plugin clicktoflash.

I've been using it and it makes a nice difference... My Macbook's battery has never lasted longer...
  • Reply 52 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

An even simpler shortcut should be built in. Generally speaking, browsing on a 13" mb or mba is ok as is but the ability to quickly gain more real estate is a good thing. I am sure very few people would use it and personally I don't want a button, but neither do I want to delve into AppleScript.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

An even simpler shortcut should be built in. Generally speaking, browsing on a 13" mb or mba is ok as is but the ability to quickly gain more real estate is a good thing. I am sure very few people would use it and personally I don't want a button, but neither do I want to delve into AppleScript.

OK, I'm replying to myself. But this post explains what I was talking about. Goes to show how often I need anything like this .... never.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Y'know, if you poke around a bit, that option is already there.

In Safari 4 beta:

View Menu: Look at the TOP FOUR ITEMS"

Hide Book Marks Bar - Command - Shift- B

Hide Status Bar - Command - /

Hide Tab Bar - Command - Shift - T

Hide Toolbar - Command | (Shift - \\)

• Reply 54 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Let someone else do it for you....
  • Reply 55 of 79
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    All browsers ought to do this. I just spent this morning listening to the same song over and over while I caught up on one of my friend's blogs.

Why do people insist on putting music on blogs anyway? We're never on the sites long enough to enjoy it, and certainly never past the first song. Plus we're probably listening to music of our own choosing already anyway.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:

While I guess I appreciate any new add-on, where is the most important missing Safari feature for me and many others- the ability to roll up the address/tool bar and give me a full screen experience with the click of a button? Like on most browsers. \

agree. Nothing worse than browsing a site when " EACH YEAR 1000 of AMERICANS SRE WITHOUT BLAHH BLAHH" or JOIN TODAY JOIN TODAY" normally way too loud.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Halle-frickin-ujah!!!

I hate having to silence everything just to keep websites from automatically playing annoying sounds, though Flashblock cuts down on most of this already. Firefox needs this ASAP (unless they already have it but I didn't realize it).
  • Reply 58 of 79
    I'd love to see both the granular audio features described in the article and the full screen option being talked about. As for the full screen option, until its implemented natively, I'll stick with Saft.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Do want.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

It's sad when this is your best post. Now if only Teckstud would copy your style this forum could stay on a mature track.

Ignore- that's why Macs have had it for over 10 years and Windows hasn't.