iPhone 3G discontinued in Oz as report backs third-gen rumors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Will the new iPhone also have the light leaks of the current iPhone 3G?
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is speculation on this. The best guess I've heard is iPhone Video, since it will have a video recorder, better camera and most likely the ability to play and output 720p video.

I'm not at all supporting this rumor, but it'd certainly be easier if they split the iPhone line into two different formfactors. Then you could have the iPhone Pro and the iPhone Mini (or whatever). Subsequent models could keep the same naming convention, since they wouldn't be linked to a version number (or anything resembling one).
  • Reply 23 of 68
    amortamort Posts: 2member
    Quote:

There is speculation on this. The best guess I've heard is iPhone Video, since it will have a video recorder, better camera and most likely the ability to play and output 720p video.

I think it would sound a bit odd, since a lot of mobile phones had video capabilities for years!
  • Reply 24 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amort View Post

I think it would sound a bit odd, since a lot of mobile phones had video capabilities for years!

iPhone HD?

iPhone 3Gv2?

iPhone 3.5G?

They have to name it something else to optimize marketing.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

iPhoneMMS- <yawn>
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:

The iPhone 3G wasn't the first 3G phone, though, and no one cared. It'd be the first video phone for Apple, and honestly I think that's all that would matter (if they went with iPhone Video).
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

You're right. There's actually a law in California saying you're not allowed to name your laptops "Pro" unless they have a FireWire port.

Yes - the lack of firewire combined with the lack of a Matte screen would make the Pro title read ridiculous.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

The iPhone 3G wasn't the first 3G phone, though, and no one cared. It'd be the first video phone for Apple, and honestly I think that's all that would matter (if they went with iPhone Video).

I got it. By your reasoning it should be called:

The iPhone CUT&PASTE!

or iPhoneCP for short
  • Reply 29 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

iPhoneMMS- <yawn>

Actually I don't think so because isn't even my lowly Edge iPhone to be getting MMS with the new software. ... and I was rather impressed with your posts this morning up until now they were actually making sense and somewhat reasonable.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually I don't think so because isn't even my lowly Edge iPhone to be getting MMS with the new software. ... and I was rather impressed with your posts this morning up until now they were actually making sense and somewhat reasonable.

ok then- iPhonecompASS

Right- and APPle is going to market iPhone to corporations and businesses with the tile iPhoneVideo

And what makes you so sure when you upgrade to 3.0 you can't record video?

BTW- Sorry you'll have to pay for your software upgrade on your lowly Edge.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    vercordiovercordio Posts: 49member
    Quote:

And what makes you so sure when you upgrade to 3.0 you can't record video?

That's a completely valid point. It was my understanding that people running jailbroken iPhone 3Gs can, right now, record video (or something like video) using the built-in camera. I understand hardware changes for autofocus and whatnot, but does the hardware really need to change for video?

Video could be one of those features (like the App Store) that will be announced with new hardware but be available on all platforms.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The original iPhone won't be getting MMS and I dint think MMS will function on iPhones with 3G when they are on EDGE or GPRS. Though MMS was first designed for WCDMA we know that it works well without it. The only reason I can think of for Apple doing this is to allow for for extra large and different file types with their setup. We'll have to see. We know the exclusion is artificial we just don't know why.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:

That's a completely valid point. It was my understanding that people running jailbroken iPhone 3Gs can, right now, record video (or something like video) using the built-in camera. I understand hardware changes for autofocus and whatnot, but does the hardware really need to change for video?

Video could be one of those features (like the App Store) that will be announced with new hardware but be available on all platforms.

There have been a lot of excuses, debates on Megapixels, you name it, here at AI blaming the present camera for not having video when it reality it has always been a lacking feature in the OS itself. The stubborn koolaid brigade here simply refuses to aknowledge anything where Apple could seem at fault. So instead they blame the camera.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:

No, he's not being reasonable. There will be no video in the first iPhones. Check out the YouTube videos, it's quite poor in every regard. It just doesn't have the HW yet for decent video. The camera is not the issue, it's the CPU and mostly the low RAM.

Per his typical misinformation mission he is resorting to lies to spread his FUD. The original iPhone will be getting the update for free.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

No, he's not being reasonable. There will be no video in the first iPhones. Check out the YouTube videos, it's quite poor in every regard. It just doesn't have the HW yet for decent video.

Video no matter how poor or grainy or this or that is guess what:

VIDEO!
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

Per his typical misinformation mission he is resorting to lies to spread his FUD. The original iPhone will be getting the update for free.

Nu FUD just misunderstanding. I thought Sarbanes Oxley only worked on the iPhone for 2 years- the life of its contract. Can you please provide a link to your post?
  • Reply 37 of 68
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apparantly T-Mobile in Austria had a mysterious placeholder on their website for an iPhone 32GB...

...just as mysteriously it disappeared again a short while later.

yeah.. T-Mobile has a good tradition of "accidentally" slipping such information regarding to Apple's new product. Last time it was new MacBook if I am not mistaken, which turned out to be true. Too bad they didn't "accidentally" slip any photo of the new iPhone this time.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

Video no matter how poor or grainy or this or that is guess what:

VIDEO!

Is this your brilliant deduction redux that if can play video so it should be able to record video just as easily and/or you theory that Apple should include poor running features just because it's technically possible, like how the iPhone can technically play 720p video and Apple should allow it even if it's choppy and only 12fps?
  • Reply 39 of 68
    vercordiovercordio Posts: 49member
    Quote:

No, he's not being reasonable. There will be no video in the first iPhones. Check out the YouTube videos, it's quite poor in every regard. It just doesn't have the HW yet for decent video. The camera is not the issue, it's the CPU and mostly the low RAM.

Oh well, that's what I get for trying to extend the olive branch :-P
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:

Oh well, that's what I get for trying to extend the olive branch :-P

I tried the olive branch, I tried the learning tree, now all I have left is the hickory switch.