Workers push Apple to end iPhone supplier's exploitation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

The PS3 is made in china.

Ok. What were you trying to say with this?
  • Reply 62 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok. What were you trying to say with this?

My point is that no one is immune to the promise of cheap labour to increase profit margins.

Before they sent their manufacturing to China, their products used to be made in Malaysia. The first run, such as my 60GB (Just updated to 500GB) is made in Japan, by Japanese workers, and then they send it out to the slave labour camps of other countries with more lax labour laws.

This is not new and Japan as a business model is not a good example.

That is my point.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

"Oh, thank you for hitting me on the head with a hammer most honorable boss! Please hit me again! I am so grateful that you continue to employ me that these blows to my body are completely forgivable and acceptable!"

Haven't we learned anything from Kathy Lee Gifford?

Al Gore on the Board of Directors should have some clout stopping this. Human rights should be the top priority in manufacturing Apple products even more so than delivering environmental friendly products.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I have enjoyed this discussion. Article is about worker abuse in Taiwan and you guys are debating the Japanese Diet ( food diet, not national congress) and cigarette consumption. That's the American way guys, curve the debate into something that has nothing to do with the issue.

Look, these workers aren't being treated fairly, but if Nero went back in time and changed Captain Kirk's life so dramatically, then is every star trek movie previously made just suddenly meaningless!? I'm pretty sure there was a movie with Spok and his mom. I mean, CMON!
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

My point is that no one is immune to the promise of cheap labour to increase profit margins.

Before they sent their manufacturing to China, their products used to be made in Malaysia. The first run, such as my 60GB (Just updated to 500GB) is made in Japan, by Japanese workers, and then they send it out to the slave labour camps of other countries with more lax labour laws.

This is not new and Japan as a business model is not a good example.

That is my point.

True.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Like it or not, this is what Wintek has to say. I also provided the link to Wintek's official statement.

http://www.wintek.com.tw/News_Show.asp?no=0000615

Announce Date : 2009/05/22

Taichung, Taiwan, May 22, 2009-With regard to the recent labor issues concerning the Wintek Group, here is our statement.

Certain persons or groups have taken advantage of this situation to make unfounded allegations against the Company which has caused severe injury to our reputation, and also affected the efforts of a law¡Vabiding company to contribute to economy and to create jobs for labors. Wintek understands your concern about the circumstances behind these reports and would like to take this opportunity to explain the relevant facts, our position and how the situation was handled by Wintek.

During the year 2008, the financial tsunami and economic downturn had a serious effect on almost every industry. Due to the impact of the economy on our sales and profit, Wintek losses in year 2008 reached NT$ 2.406 billion. Therefore, Wintek took steps to lower costs and reduce cash outflow. Before implementing unpaid administrative leave in Taiwan, signed permission was obtained from individual personnel and salaries were kept at minimum wage or above levels. With regard to personnel reductions, the severance pay and advance pay were calculated in accordance with the Labor Standards Law so the process fully complied with legal requirements in Taiwan. As for Dongguan, orders in the first quarter were quite unstable, production assignments were out of balance and incoming materials were not arriving on time. Due to this situation, we submitted an application to the Dongguan City Labor Bureau according to the local regulations to shift to a general work time system. This application was approved by the government authority and the employee representative meeting, commenced from March 1, 2009 to July 31, 2009. Based on this approved work system, overtime pay at Dongguan Masstop for holidays was calculated at a rate of 1.5 times of the standard pay rate. Employees became concerned that the change affected their overtime income. Following negotiation, management recognized the contribution and effort of employees and decided to reinstate the 2 times overtime pay rate for holidays since March salaries.

Though these labor matters were handled by the Wintek Group in full accordance with the laws and regulations, certain labor groups in Taiwan not only ignored our efforts to streamline our organization to overcome the economic downturn but actively encouraged and called on dismissed workers to ask to be reinstated to the jobs or seek benefits outside of those provided under the laws and regulations. After conducting a series of negotiations, labors, management and the representative of the certain labor group all agreed to reinstate some of the dismissed personnel (pregnant women and personnel who were close to qualifying for retirement) on April 27. After that Wintek had fulfilled the agreement to process all the related steps, hoping to take our responsibility to end the dispute. But certain individuals and groups have been keeping on breaking the agreement after claiming for it. During the negotiation period, certain individuals and groups (not Wintek employees) had made unfounded accusations against the company to government authorities. After conducting on-site investigations into the allegations, the authorities including Taichung County Government, Taichung Branch of Export Processing Zone Administration, MOEA, Council Of Labor Affairs, Executive Yuan , Taoyuan County Government found there was no basis to these claims. These certain persons then attempted to work with other labor groups to make false allegations against Wintek to our valuable customers or suppliers to harm our reputation and affect the normal business activities of a law-abiding company. Even after reaching the agreement, certain individuals and groups kept releasing unfounded allegations on Internet and held a series of illegal protest attempting to confuse people. In order to defend the reputation and rights of Wintek, our company has sued the people in question for defamation and the case is currently being tried by the local judicatory.

The current rush orders have only helped to cushion the impact of the declining economy. The global economy has still yet to recover. In the first quarter of 2009, Wintek losses totaled NT$1.17 billion. However touch panel and new TFT products that we have jointly developed with major international firms are now entering the mass production phase. The administrative leave that was instituted in December of last year will end in June. As new products and new orders are introduced to the production lines that were originally shut down, there may be positions that needed to be filled. Because Wintek values their experience, those personnel who departed previously will be given priority consideration when there are future personnel requirements. Certain labor groups intentionally ignore the government authorities findings that Wintek has fully complied with the law, and continue to make false allegations to the government and major international firms that Wintek has engaged in unlawful behavior in order to damage Wintek¡¦s reputation and discourage multinational corporations from placing orders with Wintek. Certain labor groups have even claimed the profits of multinational corporations result from the exploitation of Asian labor. If there is any disruption to the business of Wintek or other Taiwanese companies, it will seriously affect the ability of law-abiding companies and the country to contribute to the economy, By further reducing the work opportunities that are available to people, certain labor groups are acting contrary to the interests of workers. These actions will do nothing to improve labor rights and only have an adverse effect on law -abiding companies and the overall economy.

The business activities of each company in the Wintek Group are conducted in accordance with local laws and regulations. Our commitments to our customers and suppliers are honored and various kinds of employee welfare are provided so both labor and management share in the benefits. The Wintek Group also takes care to fulfill its various social and environmental responsibilities. We expect people and related organizations can understand the fact rather than being confused by certain individuals who are trying to harm a law-abiding company with false allegations that pretends to be a protection of labor rights. We would like to thank you for your concern and understanding regarding this issue and hope that you can continue to support Wintek.

Spokesperson: Susie Lee

Tel¡G04-25318899 ext¡G21588

E-mail¡G [email protected]
  • Reply 67 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Haven't we learned anything from Kathy Lee Gifford?

Al Gore on the Board of Directors should have some clout stopping this. Human rights should be the top priority in manufacturing Apple products even more so than delivering environmental friendly products.

Agreed.

The counter argument would be that this is what allows the products we consume to be so inexpensive.

My argument has always been if people do not have the jobs created by making the products then they cannot afford to buy said products anyway, but that logic escapes most.

Then there is the tariffs charged for importing the products back into the United States that we elect to defer, something that is ironically not done when we import what few products we do manufacture into those respective countries.

There is also the tax break we provided the US companies sending business to other countries, that cuts into the tax revenue we would receive, which would greatly lessen our deficit (The Federal Reserve being a international group of robber barons not withstanding) and a corporation being a very large taxable entity.

And I fathom I should not even mention the quality, or lack thereof, of the products we receive from said countries (Wal-Mart's cheap products that last about one use before having to be replaced?)

All of this couples into the fact owners and executives are over compensated for what little they actually put into the running and well being of these companies, as we have seen in the last decade, and thus for them the aspect of a few heathens making a pittance and being mistreated so they can make a little more by over charging us for cheap garbage (any PC would solidify that outlook) and consumers being happy to be oblivious to these peoples suffering and you see this is not an easily solved issue.

And Al Gore is a grand hypocrite as well. His "Truth" lectures were just to prime us for the carbon credits one of his companies will be selling, which is still a long way from solving the actual issue or forcing us to actually create clean self sustaining energy.

Do not trust any politician. It is an in crowd that stopped listening to the populous long ago........
  • Reply 68 of 86
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Human rights should be the top priority in manufacturing Apple products even more so than delivering environmental friendly products.

It is really hard to push the western standard of "human rights" into other countries. What I mean is that working AT LEAST 60 hrs a week with very minimal overtime fees (if any) is perfectly normal over there, which unlike over here is considered as something abusive.

Why? The reality is that there are so many competitions in China and Taiwan that manufactures electronic products for those BIG NAMES (such as Apple, HP, etc). The suppliers and the manufacturers in China and Taiwan are willing to slash their price at the cost of profit margin just to win the contract from other competitors.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

It is really hard to push the western standard of "human rights" into other countries. What I mean is that working AT LEAST 60 hrs a week with very minimal overtime fees (if any) is perfectly normal over there, which unlike over here is considered as something abusive.

Why? The reality is that there are so many competitions in China and Taiwan that manufactures electronic products for those BIG NAMES (such as Apple, HP, etc). The suppliers and the manufacturers in China and Taiwan are willing to slash their price at the cost of profit margin just to win the contract from other competitors.

This is true.

Not everyone values what the Western world values. That's a very broad statement, but it's true.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tonkin View Post

U.S. Corporations sought-out cheap labor to make more money for their investors. That's why the U.S. makes nothing.

The consumers (deaf, dumb, and blind) buy what's cheap and do not, for a moment, consider where "IT" was made, or how poor a life the assembler may have.

When "IT" breaks, or when the buyer has to deal with off-shored support, the tinker-toy structure of our economy begins to emerge.

Greedy at the top in every nation get rich. In the US, we get snazzy pablum with touch-screens. IN Taiwan and the PRC, they get screwed and pissed.

The United States is still the top manufacturer in the world, just because you can't buy it at Wal-Mart does not mean nothing is made here.

A lot of consumer products are made elsewhere, but most Durable Goods are manufactured in the US.

What is manufactured most in the US?

Automobiles (even the "foreign" ones)

Components for said Automobile manufacturing

Appliances (GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid....)

Aircraft

nearly all building supplies

Manufacturing Equipment (the machines that make the stuff in other countries)

Medicine

Medical Equipment

Household Chemicals (P&G, Johnson Wax)

Construction Equipment

Anything Military related (tons of this stuff)

just to name a few....

More people every year are "replaced" by technology than by outsourcing.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

I have enjoyed this discussion. Article is about worker abuse in Taiwan and you guys are debating the Japanese Diet ( food diet, not national congress) and cigarette consumption. That's the American way guys, curve the debate into something that has nothing to do with the issue.

I hear you, but check out this cool intel commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLPHrCQr2I
  • Reply 72 of 86
    Quote:

Did you know snakes don't have ears?

When I heard that it blew me away. They have two distinct auditory systems, in fact.

For many years scientists did not think snakes could hear due to the lack of external ears and eardrums. Now scientists have shown despite the lack of external ears and eardrums, snakes can in fact hear via vibrations.

More on that here:

http://www.healthyhearing.com/articl...akes-have-ears
  • Reply 73 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Not really a matter of greed of the US corporations, more of a matter of greed of the US consumer and the greed of China, they keep their labor costs low in order to bring the jobs to them. If they were to move the jobs to the US to manufacture these computers, we will once again see the days of $10,000 computers. US corporations are taxed in this country at a rate of 43%, the US government, by mandate of the voters has essentially taxed the corporations out of this country, the government and citizens seem to think that large corporations are just Giant piggybanks for everyone to hold their hands out to. US corporations have to move offshore in order to survive, not to get rich. This global economy is dependant upon ALL parties involved, there is plenty of blame to go on EVERYONE for situations such as this.

Excellent post.

I totally agree. I jokingly blame my brother for this whole economic recession since he was in the mortgage brokering business selling interest only financing to people who did not really qualify to purchase any house let alone the big houses they were buying. Hence the housing price bubble. Now days it requires a two income family to even afford to buy a house so the kids have to go off to day care where a minimum wage illiterate immigrant teaches them how to behave. The US is doomed.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Excellent post.

I totally agree. I jokingly blame my brother for this whole economic recession since he was in the mortgage brokering business selling interest only financing to people who did not really qualify to purchase any house let alone the big houses they were buying. Hence the housing price bubble. Now days it requires a two income family to even afford to buy a house so the kids have to go off to day care where a minimum wage illiterate immigrant teaches them how to behave. The US is doomed.

I'm not to the point of Doom and gloom yet, the market will correct itself as long as the government lets it. What I'm afraid of now is the Knee jerk legislation being passed left and right currently, capping CEO salaries only guarantee's you will get a CEO with as much experience as the Pizza guy. In order to get the right people in charge they need be compensated for that, without competition there is no quality.

Cap and trade will most certainly put us into a depression, you do not artificailly put a stranglehold on companies struggling to sustain viability. Upping the MPG requirements on automakers struggling to survive will guarantee their demise. When will people realize CO2 is not a polutant, it is fertalizer. We cannot fight on two fronts right now, straighten out the economy, THEN worry about the Environment, both will get done quicker if not done at the same time. The vast majority of Greenhouse Gas in the atmosphere is in fact Water Vapor 70-80% due to the fact that 3/4 of the planet is covered in water.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Give them all free iPods. Problem solved.*

*In all seriousness, I'm quite sure Apple will do something about this, not jut for PR's sake but in terms of ethics and the general push to improve working conditions. Although the economy being what it is, Apple is only partially responsible here.

Right, right. Apple is in biz for humanitarian reason.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

"Oh, thank you for hitting me on the head with a hammer most honorable boss! Please hit me again! I am so grateful that you continue to employ me that these blows to my body are completely forgivable and acceptable!"

Interesting. I must have missed the part in the article that mentioned these employees where being physically abused. Or maybe you personally know someone who works within this factory?

I'm referring to this article, not your stereotypical beliefs of what it's like to work in a foreign country. I don't in any way condone verbal or physical abuse to employees, or anyone else for that matter. I do, however, have absolutely no sympathy for people who gripe and moan about their situation but do nothing to improve it and I hardly consider protesting in front of your employer with the crème de la crème of notebooks sympathetic either. Some you argue that if they quit they will starve. If that's the case, maybe they should be buying food instead of expensive computers.

• Reply 77 of 86
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

But staying with that employer is! Can't find better work? Educate/Better yourself to allow yourself better opportunities!

The ignorance is just... mind blowing.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    bhoughtonbhoughton Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

The ignorance is just... mind blowing.

I love how you back that up.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

I love how you back that up.

Why should I? You haven't. There are no facts in your comments, just right wing ignorant opinions. If you believe that everyone in the World has the same abilities and rights as you then you really need to pick up a good newspaper and read.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    bhoughtonbhoughton Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Why should I? You haven't. There are no facts in your comments, just right wing ignorant opinions. If you believe that everyone in the World has the same abilities and rights as you then you really need to pick up a good newspaper and read.

Ignorant? How so? Because I feel that anyone can improve their lives if they want to badly enough? Ever hear the phrase "if there's a will, there's a way"? Other than someone who is being physically held captive, give me one example. Just one, that's all I ask.

It's the same philosophy of free will. No one can make you do anything. You just choose to do something because of what you fear the consequences will be.

Give me just one example that proves that theory wrong. I would love to see it.