Apple's iPhone 3G S sports 600MHz chip, oleophobic coating

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Are there really people who don't spend $10 and put a cover on their screen?

Yes, because as already mentioned, it's pointless. When my wife had a Treo she certainly needed, and used, a plastic film screen protector on it. But the Treo had a plastic screen, so that was a very necessary precaution.

The iPhone's tempered glass screen is, short of gross abuse, unscratchable.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    What about cleaning jism off the iphone?
  • Reply 43 of 69
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I seem to remember some pretty sever scratch tests on the iPhone screen when it first came out. It appeared as if you wold be hard pressed to scratch it with knives.

Well, yes, but, if you have diamonds glued to your fingernails...
  • Reply 44 of 69
    balrobbalrob Posts: 1member
    Unfortunately, the company I work for supplies my phone and therefor dictates that it's a Blackberry.

So, I am more interested to know when these iPhone advances will make there way to the iPod Touch ? Appleinsider - any inside goss on this ?

thx
  • Reply 45 of 69
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I've have the original iPhone bought on day one. It has never been in a case or had any kind of covering. The back has several scratches if you look hard enough, but the glass screen is totally scratch free. Several swipes on my shirt gets off any oils or fingerprints.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    dequardodequardo Posts: 29member
    [QUOTE=hillstones;1430473]

I never use a screen protector on my iPhone or iPod. I don't want to ruin the clarity of the screen. I take care of my electronic devices. My iPhone and iPod don't have a scratch on them.QUOTE]

Two kinds of people. Those who have dropped their phone and those that will. Best of luck.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balrob View Post

Unfortunately, the company I work for supplies my phone and therefor dictates that it's a Blackberry.

So, I am more interested to know when these iPhone advances will make there way to the iPod Touch ? Appleinsider - any inside goss on this ?

thx

Following history, the likely timeframe is September, right around when Apple?s Back To School special ends. It amy even be faster clocked than the iPhone, like it is now, since gaming on the small device has become such a cash cow for Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:

thx

You can always bug att to come out with the blackberry service for the iphone. On my windows mobile phone i can access all the blackberry services if i wanted to pay extra for them.

So maybe you can bug att to make it available for the iphone as well.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

"Aow- I miss the old coating!"

"I can't type as fast" etc, etc,

A matte v. glossy reference?
  • Reply 50 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

ARM is a company and a line of processors. The StrongARM is quite a bit different than the Cortex A8. In fact, the difference is comparable to that of a Core 2 Duo and a Pentium 1.

Not quite the right analogy, it's not a descendent or ancestor, but an offshoot branch. StrongARM isn't made by ARM but DEC based on the ARM architecture. More like the AMD to Intel in some ways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

That's what the dock and bluetooth APIs are for.

External cases with a d-pad.

I'm curious how that will work. It seems to me that you'd want one D-pad interface standard so that all programmers know how to connect to it so they don't have to program for a dozen different protocols, and so that all case makers can connect with all the games that support d-pads without changes. I don't think Apple would want to mediate such a standard, but if they don't, it could lead to compatibility issues.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, that's the whole point of the oleophobic coating to keep oils from adhering so they will wipe right off (like car wax allows water to be wiped off). Cleaners, probably including iKlenz (which is probably mostly alcohol), will most likely take the oleophobic coating off and entirely negate the advantage of having it. Of course, even water might take it off, so it will be interesting to see how well it holds up.

The coatings are supposed to be tough: on getting dimethylsiloxane coatings to stick, see http://tinyurl.com/lcfqcc

And for a review see http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut...u/experime.pdf

Ironically, it's from Finland so Nokia might - directly or indirectly (via taxes that support the U. Helsinki) - have funded this research.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There has been a new Teckstud around here as of late and I quite like it. If not for a post here or there are let me know it?s still him I would thought he was a pod person and had an Amber Alert issued for him NYC.

He got his fire wire back. He seems well adjusted now.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    russcorussco Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

What about cleaning jism off the iphone?

I use what's know as a iWhore to lick it off....lol

• Reply 54 of 69
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to be picky here ...

You guys know that the iPhone has a tempered glass (almost un-scratchable) screen right?

Tempered glass is no harder to scratch than regular glass. Glass manufacturers like PPG all recommend against using abrasives on windshields. Ever notice the swirls and halos on even clean car windows and windshields when they're lit by sunlight at the right angle? An analogous situation would be putting an iPhone in your pocket where grit embedded in the fabric can work its wonders. And you do know that I was referring to the coating, right? Even if the glass was 100% scratchproof, that's no good if you have to look through a scratched up coating first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The iPhone's tempered glass screen is, short of gross abuse, unscratchable.

I've seen quite a few iPhone screens with scratches on them.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

The coatings are supposed to be tough: on getting dimethylsiloxane coatings to stick, see http://tinyurl.com/lcfqcc

Interesting, they do seem like they would be pretty durable.

Apparently, Palm couldn't use this on the Pre because it prevents graffiti.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

A big "meh" on the screen coating. I always protect my touch screen devices with a screen protector anyway. Already have a set of three coming from Hong Kong that I ordered on eBay for my 3G S

yes but the point is that you don't have to buy a screen protector anymore. with last years phone you pretty much had to.

so a lot of folks are going to be thrilled.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No need to be an ass.

lighten up, dude! i wanted Prince to "take note" so he would post a more detailed piece based on that excellent info from Anand. which he did! success.

Prince gets plenty of grief already, deserved or not (both, i think). but i enjoy reading his stuff.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

thx

If the Blackberry is ATT, you can pop the SIM card from your blackberry into your iPhone. Just buy an unlocked iPhone and you're good to go.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm curious how that will work. It seems to me that you'd want one D-pad interface standard so that all programmers know how to connect to it so they don't have to program for a dozen different protocols, and so that all case makers can connect with all the games that support d-pads without changes. I don't think Apple would want to mediate such a standard, but if they don't, it could lead to compatibility issues.

Nobody is going to carry around a pad with them who isn't already carrying around a portable game to begin with. There's 320x240 of touchscreen to play with, which is probably enough for most 8 and 16 bit consoles.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

And for a review see http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut...u/experime.pdf

Ironically, it's from Finland so Nokia might - directly or indirectly (via taxes that support the U. Helsinki) - have funded this research.

Where did you find out the composition of Apple's coating? Is this just an assumption that it's polymethylsiloxane?