Apple holds up iPhone 3G S deliveries ahead of 3.0 software

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has asked that package delivery service UPS hold back stateside shipments of its new iPhone 3G S handset that may have otherwise arrived early, just as the company prepares for an early afternoon launch of iPhone Software 3.0.

iPhone 3G S shipments on hold

Some of the first U.S. customers to place their pre-orders for the new iPhone 3G S began receiving shipment notifications from UPS earlier this week with delivery dates of June 17th (today), a full two days before the device is slated to hit retail stores.

Though UPS strives to deliver packages as quickly as possible once they arrive at local sorting facilities, Apple overnight asked the company to hold back home delivery of the new handsets until Friday the 19th, the day the device is slated to launch nationally at Apple, AT&T, Best Buy and Wal-Mart retail outlets.

As such, many customers awoke this morning to find that UPS had updated the delivery status of the iPhones with an exception stating that, "the receiver requested a hold for a future delivery date" or "the package is being held for a future delivery date."

This isn't the first time this particular situation has come up. Apple has several times in the past shipped products such as iLife and iWork ahead of their launch date. In some of those cases, customers actually received their orders early but were later asked to surrender them back to the shipping company for re-delivery a few days later at Apple's request.

iPhone Software 3.0

Meanwhile, existing iPhone and iPod touch owners are anxiously awaiting the arrival of iPhone Software 3.0, slated for today. Although some had expected Apple to make the software available sometime in the early morning hours in order to cater to those customers in international time zones, a release early this afternoon now appears more likely.

A few hours ago, Apple Singapore began sending text messages to customers informing them the release would show up in iTunes sometime after midnight local time. Assuming U.S. customers will gain access to the software at the same time, it would suggest a stateside release between the hours of between 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm Eastern time or 10:00 am and 12:30 pm Pacific.

For those in the UK, the software should turn up between the hours of 5:00 pm and 7:30 pm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Of course they did! The new iPhone isn't released until Friday. They shipped them early to account for any delays with customs, or bad weather, or whatever. This is a standard practice. Anyone who thought they were going to get their phone early is crazy.

Millions of copies of the last Harry Potter book sat in post offices and UPS depots around the country for a day or two before being delivered on the actual release date. This is the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    I got that same message.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Christ, people need to find something real to be outraged at....
  • Reply 4 of 81
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    But I want me new software/phone now!!!!!

(whines softly)
  • Reply 5 of 81
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    What disappoints is that those that took the time to preorder won't get their handsets until AFTER those who just go to the Apple or AT&T Stores. Unless UPS delivers by 8AM, which they usually don't. At least not where I live.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    UPS couldn't even get to me before 2pm with a previous Apple product. I called them up to ask to fix a time because I'd be at work and they said they couldn't do that, so I asked if they could try and deliver before 2pm (I was on late shift, not just lazy). They said they'd give it a go, and the time on the failed delivery slip was 3:30pm. In the end I had to go to the depot on some industrial estate on the edge of town and get it myself. Not exactly an impressive service.

just to say, this was in the UK
  • Reply 7 of 81
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I just can't believe this. I am dripping with rage! THIS IS HOW THEY TREAT A LOYAL CUSTOMER OF 4 MONTHS!?

(just kidding :P)
  • Reply 8 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    This whole thing about tying your iPhone to one computer is rather inconvenient. Sure syncing contacts email and the like makes sense but it would be nice if I could install software updates from anywhere. I'm at work now but my home computer is the one I need to sync with. Had I given it more thought in the beginning I might have chosen my Macbook Pro to sync with, but I don't think it would be that easy to redo everything at this point.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Just release the software
  • Reply 10 of 81
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This whole thing about tying your iPhone to one computer is rather inconvenient. Sure syncing contacts email and the like makes sense but it would be nice if I could install software updates from anywhere. I'm at work now but my home computer is the one I need to sync with. Had I given it more thought in the beginning I might have chosen my Macbook Pro to sync with, but I don't think it would be that easy to redo everything at this point.

You can update the software and backup on any computer using iTunes, not just the one you sync with.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

This whole thing about tying your iPhone to one computer is rather inconvenient.

I agree. I had three iTunes libraries I used with my iPod classic. When I got my first iPhone, I had to consolidate the libraries. Quite a pain. I guess I can blame music pirates for this iPhone limitation.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    It's kind of cool knowing all our iPhones are sitting there is Louisville. Amazing how fast you can get something here from China, while the accesories I ordered (shipped by the not nearly as cool DHL) are taking days to get to Illinois from Tennessee.

And it just makes sense we can't get the phones until at the very least the new software is out. And you know Apple doesnt want all of us trying to activate our phones at the same time that millions of other people are downloading the new software... like last year...
  • Reply 13 of 81
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Updates can be installed from any computer with iTunes. At least that's been my experience. It will create a backup of your phone. At least that's how I've done it with my laptop when I'm out of town. The main sync is done with my desktop.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Apple's servers are going to be slammed so hard today...
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Quote:

Can't you download apps directly to your iPhone using Wifi? It works with a Touch...

Just wondering...
  • Reply 16 of 81
    It's going to be fun reading the iPhone forums today...
  • Reply 17 of 81
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

UPS couldn't even get to me before 2pm with a previous Apple product. I called them up to ask to fix a time because I'd be at work and they said they couldn't do that, so I asked if they could try and deliver before 2pm (I was on late shift, not just lazy). They said they'd give it a go, and the time on the failed delivery slip was 3:30pm. In the end I had to go to the depot on some industrial estate on the edge of town and get it myself. Not exactly an impressive service.

if the shipper does not pay the extra $$ to be delivered by 10am (or whatever the slots UPS use) why would UPS deliver that? I assume it was sent the regular residential method, which is by 6pm (if I'm correct)

just imagine how many calls they get and demand special treatment + early delivery that was not paid for?
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

What disappoints is that those that took the time to preorder won't get their handsets until AFTER those who just go to the Apple or AT&T Stores. Unless UPS delivers by 8AM, which they usually don't. At least not where I live.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they released the phone for delivery tomorrow, for not only the reason you listed, but also because the phone will be available "early" in parts of Europe doing midnight openings...
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Apple's servers are going to be slammed so hard today...

You are damn right... I woke up this morning expecting to get 3.0... was I wrong. I am patiently waiting tho
  • Reply 20 of 81
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:

This isn't the first time this particular situation has come up. Apple has several times in the past shipped products such as iLife and iWork ahead of their launch date. In some of those cases, customers actually received their orders early but were later asked to surrender them back to the shipping company for re-delivery a few days later at Apple's request.

You've got to be kidding me. That actually happened? Apple requested that customers who'd already received and presumably opened their packages return them so they could be delivered a second time, later? That's the most batshit insane thing I've ever heard.