Review roundup: Apple's new iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note that Palm is also working on a Push Notification Server for WebOS

OMG, this is worse than the "Chevy NOVA" ordeal in Spain. Güevos (pronounced phonetically as: |web ōs|) is slang for testicles. Literarily: balls.

Everytime I read about the Pre's Os I can't help but FUKKEN LOL ROFL LMFAO!!!1111
  • Reply 42 of 86
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If people didn't find the raw performance improvements as compelling features you wouldn't see laptop sales constantly climb year over year from a lot of repeat buyers.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

1. Buy 32 GB 3GS in new contract for $299.

2. Swap sims to put your old number on 3GS.

3. Kill old July 11, 2008 contract for $120.

4. Place ad in Craig's List to sell 16 GB 3G for $399.

New 16GB 3GS off contract is $599

Total cost to own new 32GB 3GS = $20

I think you might be able to get $199 for your 3G, if it's unlocked and in decent condition.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogeriogal View Post

OMG, this is worse than the "Chevy NOVA" ordeal in Spain. Güevos (pronounced phonetically as: |web ōs|) is slang for testicles. Literarily: balls.

Everytime I read about the Pre's Os I can't help but FUKKEN LOL ROFL LMFAO!!!1111

Maybe they shoulda called it the "PreOS" ... sounds kinda like the "Prius" eh?
  • Reply 45 of 86
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

You mean just like Apple's original stance of iPhone development until they realized what a horrible idea it was and quickly changed their minds?

Palm will do the same.

Apple planned to release a native SDK from the day one. When asked about this at the v.1 of the OS Steve said that they are working on this but can not commit to a specific timeframe. When Apple made an official announcement of the iPhone OS 2.0 and the forthcoming SDK, nobody seemed to remember the earlier comment. All those anti-Apple crowd was quick to explain that Apple did this because they understood how terrible mistake they made in the first place. If you think about it, Apple could not pull out of nowhere a powerful SDK along with documentation and sample code in 6 months.

But even with the assumption that that was the stupid Apple who were forced to change the course Palm could learn from their horrible mistakes, didn't they?

When I read Palm reviews I see so many "yeah, but we are pretty sure they are working on this and the xx feature will be added soon, yeah, and the poor battery life is because of a minor bug and wil be corrected any day now...". On the other hand, there are people complaining that "it took them three freaking years to get yy feature! It should be here from the day one!
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Oh, and forget those Pre vs. iPhone stuff! It is clear now that they are not in the same league. The Pre was a good try, but it is years away from the iPhone 3GS. As I said earlier, based on comparison of the old iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 2.x (which felt about the same as the Pre performance-wise), you will have hard time to believe that the Pre and the iPhone 3GS use similar hardware (well, processor, not the plastic screen apparently). Here is a quote from engadget's thread:

Quote:

Ken Weaver @ Jun 17th 2009 6:17PM

I'm having trouble figuring out which phone to buy PALM PRE or IPHONE 3GS? Can anyone help me out here? As far as I can tell, it looks like this:

IPHONE IS LACKING BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING:

No multitasking

No Physical keyboard

No LED flash

PALM PRE IS LACKING BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING:

8 GB memory limit

No true apps - only webapps (so weak)

No voice and data at the same time (because of Sprint CDMA network)

No voice dialing (WTF)

No video recording (WTF?)

No voice memos (WTF)

No movie rentals (over the air or otherwise)

No visual Voicemail

No TV show rentals

No audiobook purchasing

No true app store (18 is a joke)

No console-quality games (like Resident Evil, Metal Gear, 1000's of others for iPhone)

No Peer to Peer games

No VoiceOver (the iPhone can read any screen to you, just like a Mac)

No native in-car integration (iPhone has this with dozens of cars)

No podcasts

Crippled copy/paste (for example - you can't cut or copy a webpage or any part of it)

No universal search (crippled - no e-mail search)

Tiny keyboard (iPhone landscape and portrait keyboards are bigger than Pre's real keyboard)

No auto wi-fi login (just jumps on any open network and remembers them all)

No 7.2 Mbps network speed

No Remote Wipe

No Find My Phone feature

Can't function as a Remote for the household stereo (Great for parties, especially with the iTunes DJ feature where people can request songs)

Weak battery life

More expensive than iPhone

Very scratchable screen

No oleophobic protective screen

No real music store (Apple can break the compatibility at any time and I don't want to take that chance)

No Voice Commands (control music playing by saying "Depeche Mode" for example)

No Compass

No multiple and customizable home screens like iPhone (Pre only has one screen)

No Parental Controls

No Video Editing

No onboard Ringtone Creation

No 5 person conference calls

No Webclips

Anyone have anything to say about this? Can anyone honestly say the Pre has more features?

PS - the iPhone CAN multitask - you can listen to music, send e-mails, download files, AND surf the web at the same time. What you CANNOT do is have multiple 3rd party apps open at the same time - for example, I can't play Boggle AND Texas Holdem at the same time. And why would I? However, I CAN play Boggle, listen to my music, answer an email, download a PDF, etc. at the same time.

I would honestly like someone to list several dozen features the Pre has that the iPhone doesn't have. I guarantee no one will.

• Reply 47 of 86
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

If you think about it, Apple could not pull out of nowhere a powerful SDK along with documentation and sample code in 6 months.

They absolutely could have if they wanted to. The fact is, they didn't.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Oh, one more funny comparison I read (lost the link, sorry). They compared the prices of the pre with the price of the 32GB iPhone 3GS. The 16GB and old 8GB were not listed at all. I am wondering why
  • Reply 49 of 86
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg:

Video recording works well, but the iPhone doesn't take HD movies and its quality pales in comparison to the popular $229 Flip pocket camcorder.

Yup. My 10-year old camcorder is even capable of applying effects and transitions.

Quote:

The iPhone 3G S's battery never showed signs of running dry before the end of Walt's day, even though he was using it excessively for testing purposes, unlike the iPhone 3G's which would often fall into the red zone.

Quote:

Chicago Sun-Times' Andy Ihnatko:

Battery life shows noticeable improvements over the iPhone 3G, though Andy still recommends that power users cary an extra battery pack.

Quote:

The New York Time's David Pogue:

Battery life is about 25% longer than the iPhone 3G.

Don't feel it's enough.

Quote:

Voice control isn't perfect but works most of the time.

Quote:

USA Today's Edward Baig:

Voice Control is less than perfect, especially in noisy environments.

Quote:

Chicago Sun-Times' Andy Ihnatko:

Using the new Voice Control app, "nearly every command that involved the name of an artist or song was misinterpreted."Existing car integration kits also don't work well with Voice Control.

Guys, it has been already proven by Google, that any voice controls are useless in noisy streets. Dead useless. Waste of time. It turns out to be just "not phone feature".
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:

They didn't what??? Didn't release the native SDK on day one?

Do you have a faintest idea what are you talking about???

An integrated development environment along with a simulator, documentation and sample code, AppStore infrastructure, developer support. Do you understand how HUGE is this??? This is more work than creating the entire WebOS from scratch! Why no other company succeeded to replicate neither the store or the IDE for more than 2 years? Because Nokia and RIM don't have deep pockets or what?

Keep in mind that we only have 7X24 hours in a week, and that is true for the Apple engineers.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I think Voice Control is dependent on hardware in the 3GS--it is not an OS 3.0 issue alone.

I haven't played with it yet, but I downloaded 3.0 to my 3G and the voice control icon is there.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranchogirl View Post

I haven't played with it yet, but I downloaded 3.0 to my 3G and the voice control icon is there.

Are you sure that's not the Voice Memos icon?
  • Reply 53 of 86
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    While I enjoy reading the work of all of the people mentioned in this peice, I would like to see the last time Ed Baig, Andy Inatko, David Pouge or Walter Mossberg gave Apple anything less than a glowing review...I would be more interested in the oppinions of hard core apple critics turned iphone fans with the 3g, like Paul Thurrot, who is one of the top editors at Windows IT Pro Magazine, he writes for WinIT Pro (in addition to running Winsupersite) and has been heaping praise on the iphone 3g since3 launch while excoriateing MS for the crap they call Windows Mobile, his opinion would be far more valuable than the fanboiz at the major papers in the country.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

Push is a half-assed design paradigm in my opinion, but I will wait to pass final judgement until it's been employed by many programs and battle-tested.

Have you ever used Push?

I have and it is a pretty good design, IMO.

And it performs quite well. For example;

I wrote a desktop app that polled twitter RSS feed (every 10 seconds) for certain users I was following.

When a new tweet is found, I use another desktop app to submit the message to Apple's Push server.

Apple's Push server would push it to my iPhone.

An iPhone app I wrote can be started... but it is not necessary as an alert displays the entire tweet.

So, you ask what's the big deal... I would always get the Pushed (by me) tweet before I got the tweet through normal SMS. Sometimes I got the pushed tweet several minutes before the SMS tweet.

I know it's anecdotal, but hey: a 10-second polling delay; un-optimized desktop programs for polling and submitting; using WiFi over a cable modem... and still beat the direct SMS path.

Not Bad! Not bad, at all!
  • Reply 55 of 86
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Sittin' in front...lovin' all your comments.

Quote:

I'm first in the queue and so far the only person in the queue.

Does one nerd standing in front of a store constitute a "queue"?
  • Reply 56 of 86
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

You mean just like Apple's original stance of iPhone development until they realized what a horrible idea it was and quickly changed their minds?

Palm will do the same.

No. As Apple said right from the beginning, it wasn't ready. Remember, it was their first adventure in this medium.

It was always a part of their long term plans. How and when they rolled it out would depend on how well the product was received. As we, i.e., developers found, the first iteration was one of the best laid out SDKs every released in the industry. Sure there were issues. Overall, minor. And if anything, criticism was mostly generated by people ignorant of the process.

Over time, it became better and better. Obviously the success of the iTunes App Store can attest to that. Others have tried to replicate the process. However, nobody has, and nobody probably ever will, reach such heights again. Perhaps, except for Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Does one nerd standing in front of a store constitute a "queue"?

T-T-T-Tell him it was Y-Y-Y-Yesterday!
  • Reply 58 of 86
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (maybe I'm in the wrong thread)

3GS, the S doesn't stand for speed, silly. Its stands for snappy!
  • Reply 59 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

1. Buy 32 GB 3GS in new contract for $299.

2. Swap sims to put your old number on 3GS.

3. Kill old July 11, 2008 contract for $120.

4. Place ad in Craig's List to sell 16 GB 3G for $399.

New 16GB 3GS off contract is $599

Total cost to own new 32GB 3GS = $20

For me as an original iPhone owner, the difference in price is much more significant.

Most of the increased cost is from the plan being more expensive. We're talking hundreds of dollars a year more expensive.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Palm will do the same.

Quote:

Apple is an impressive company in many ways. One of those ways is planning for future growth, but you can?t just complex software and infrastructure pop into existence. It?s silly to think that Apple only thought about this feature that other smartphones had after the fact, despite having the most robust mobile OS on the market.