AT&T drops iPhone 3G S prices for early iPhone 3G adopters

Comments

• Reply 161 of 206
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

However one feels about the early adopters so called "whining" I say to them there is no other company that has the dedicated following Apple does, so yes some of us feel we should be treated with a little more respect than say a Nokia user would be. There aren't people waiting for hours in a line to get the new Nokia, Motorola, RIM or Samsung phone each year on launch day. I don't think it's too much to ask to be treated a little better by a company we treat special by purchasing many of their products as soon as they launch them. This was evident by Apple appreciating that last year and giving 90 days free MobileMe service after the horrible launch it had and by them giving in store credit to early adopters of the first gen iPhone after the quick price drop when 99% of companies wouldn't have done that and just said tough shit.

Granted, the tiers were not well executed.

The problem is that it looks like a lot of these people are demanding special treatment and exceptions to the standard policy, bargain basement pricing on the most expensive kind of device in the product category. A lot of these people seemed pretty ignorant of how this subsidy idea is supposed to work. Even people that probably held on to the same phone for years in the past now seem to want a new expensive phone every year at the two year subsidized price.
  • Reply 162 of 206
    moofrankmoofrank Posts: 15member
    3G purchased in July 08. Currently, my upgrade date is set for 8/15.

Premier is still giving me the +$200 price. Sent me over to regular sales, who is sending me back to Premier.
  • Reply 163 of 206
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post

I am one of their best [customers] because of LOYALTY. blah blah blah

So yeah... screw ATT.

You sound very loyal indeed!
  • Reply 164 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themouse View Post

I bought my 3G on the first day it came out last summer. But my plan does not include any texting options. My bill is $79/mo. I think. But the PR statement says you not only have to be an early adopter but you have to have been paying $99/mo. as well.

The unlimited text messaging plan is $20/mo. and that would make it $99/mo. As far as I can figure that is the reason I am 12/09 eligible while others who bought their phone on the same day I did are July-Sept. eligible and therefore qualify for the lower pricing.

This made me very mad yesterday. ATT was nice on the phone but knew absolutely nothing. Apple was frustrated on the phone and wanted to help but could do or say nothing.

I kept saying "I bought my phone the same first day as everybody else, why am I not eligible?" I have come to the above conclusion on my own.

Aw, you mean they wouldn't give you something for nothing?

I'm so sorry! Will you be OK?
  • Reply 165 of 206
    cat5cat5 Posts: 1member
    So I, as did most of you, bought the 3g on launch day last year and my upgrade date is set as December of 2009.

I spoke with an AT&T rep and she said that there is nothing in my account that should be keeping me from getting the $199-299 pricing option. She said that I will see this price if I go to purchase it TOMORROW. I'm not sure if that is in fact the truth because AT&T said that TODAY would be the day that you would see the new pricing so who knows. Fingers are crossed that the AT&T rep was correct and that I will see the pricing updated tomorrow.
  • Reply 166 of 206
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themouse View Post

I kept saying "I bought my phone the same first day as everybody else, why am I not eligible?" I have come to the above conclusion on my own.

Because the contract you SIGNED says you aren't
  • Reply 167 of 206
    Get this... I have several phones spread across 3 separate AT&T accounts. One of my accounts, a family plan, contains 4 identical iPhone 3G models. Two were purchased 7/11/08 with the remaining two purchased two weeks later.

On June 9th I checked the status of this account for online upgrade options on these units. Two showed eligible on 7/12/09, the others showed 08/2009. All as expected at that time and consistent with what many "early adopters" were complaining about. After reading about AT&T's open letter on early upgrades yesterday I checked this account again.

After the 7/17/09 change in AT&T's early iPhone upgrade policy all of my upgrade dates were recalculated and 6 months were added! On top of that, right now one of the two iPhone 3G units purchased 7/11/09 is eligible for a partial upgrade discount ($499 for a 32 GB 3GS). The other identical iPhone unit, purchased at the exact same time at the exact same Apple store and on the same AT&T account and plan, is not eligible for any discount and would cost $699 for a new unit at no commitment pricing.

Further the AT&T web site did not even show the iPhone 3GS as an upgrade option for this second iPhone 3G at all at any price.
  • Reply 168 of 206
    As bad as lawyers are, even worse are dummy armchair lawyers who think they can sue for something like this.

Tell you what, you read your ATT contract and tell us when part of it ATT violated.

OR!

You can find us a law that has been violated.

Reminder - preventing crybabies from crying is not a law (yet).
  • Reply 169 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

As bad as lawyers are, even worse are dummy armchair lawyers who think they can sue for something like this.

Tell you what, you read your ATT contract and tell us when part of it ATT violated.

OR!

As a lawyer myself (insert joke), I couldn't agree more about this

Some guy on the other form was trying to get a case together against UPS for "tampering" with their products since they weren't giving the iPhones out a day or two early. I mean, the fact that he has no idea what tampering actually is....makes it bad enough....but how someone could think they would win that suit is beyond me.
  • Reply 170 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Get this... I have several phones spread across 3 separate AT&T accounts. One of my accounts, a family plan, contains 4 identical iPhone 3G models. Two were purchased 7/11/08 with the remaining two purchased two weeks later.

Further the AT&T web site did not even show the iPhone 3GS as an upgrade option for this second iPhone 3G at all at any price.

I doubt being confusing or sloppy about phone upgrade eligibility is class-action-worthy.
  • Reply 171 of 206
    Quote:

OR!

Did you even bother to read my entire post before spewing or did your clearly higher than average intelligence allow you to shoot from the hip after merely reading the headline? No crying here... just a giggle or two at geniuses who feel qualified AND compelled to rip on folks online without reading and digesting a post much less forming a complete thought of their own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

As a lawyer myself (insert joke), I couldn't agree more about this

Some guy on the other form was trying to get a case together against UPS for "tampering" with their products since they weren't giving the iPhones out a day or two early. I mean, the fact that he has no idea what tampering actually is....makes it bad enough....but how someone could think they would win that suit is beyond me.

As a lawyer you are clearly aware that suits are filed all day every day for every reason under the sun. Some are junk, some are not. If you also had read and digested my post, counselor, you would have realized that I was just asking the question and looking for a little thoughtful feedback.

Peace
  • Reply 172 of 206
    Quote:

Did you even bother to read my entire post before spewing or did your clearly higher than average intelligence allow you to shoot from the hip after merely reading the headline? No crying here... just a giggle or two at geniuses who feel qualified AND compelled to rip on folks online without reading and digesting a post much less forming a complete thought of their own.

Yeah, I did, and trust me it didn't take even average intelligence to see what it was. An idiot could have understood the problem with your crying.
  • Reply 173 of 206
    Quote:

As a lawyer you are clearly aware that suits are filed all day every day for every reason under the sun. Some are junk, some are not.

Yes

Quote:

If you also had read and digested my post, counselor, you would have realized that I was just asking the question and looking for a little thoughtful feedback.

Ok, I will give you my advice then.....You will be wasting money filing the suit, you will be laughed out of the courtroom by everyone involved, and you will publicly mocked across the media-world for trying to win such a case
  • Reply 174 of 206
    Quote:

Yeah, I did, and trust me it didn't take even average intelligence to see what it was. An idiot could have understood the problem with your crying.

Wow... This is going to be a tough one but lemme give it a roll. Let's go with "I know you are but what am I?"
  • Reply 175 of 206
    Quote:

Wow... This is going to be a tough one but lemme give it a roll. Let's go with "I know you are but what am I?"

Welcome to the board, it's clear from the handful of posts on this thread that you'll fit right in.
  • Reply 176 of 206
    i hope i can get my eligibility changed like this handful of people across the forumverse have.

iPhone 2G->iPhone 3G in July->broken->back to 2G->december eligibility.

$88-101 bills.
  • Reply 177 of 206
    xtss33xtss33 Posts: 25member
    I'm an early adopter of the iPhone 2G and then 3G. I bought my 3G two weeks after they came out last July. My upgrade date, according to AT&T, is Dec 27th.

I called AT&T and the upshot is that this is NOT about helping or respecting early adopters. It is ALL about how much money you've spent with them monthly. If you, like I, only need the smaller plan ( and I still have rollover minutes. >sigh<, alas, no friends) then you will not have given them enough cash to warrant a break in the 3GS before 18 months into your contract.

Key point here, you do not have the option to EXTEND your contract 2 years and get the price break. AT&T only cancels your current contract and writes you a new one.

So it seems to me that characterizing this as a help to early adopters is a complete falsehood. But I guess we all know that.

This is what comes of non-competitive services. Apple, you listening?
  • Reply 178 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtss33 View Post

I'm an early adopter of the iPhone and then 3G. I bought my 3G two weeks after they came out last July. My upgrade date, according to AT&T, is Dec 27th.

etc etc etc

I think you clicked the wrong link. Here's where you want to post your gripe: http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/
  • Reply 179 of 206
    Quote:

I called AT&T and the upshot is that this is NOT about helping or respecting early adopters. It is ALL about how much money you've spent with them monthly.

Yes, because those that have higher plans paid off the subsidized phone more quickly thus the shorter upgrade period. Makes sense.

Seems people really just have not the faintest clue what contract they signed

They want free money and the ability to just say "Ah forget whatever I signed"
  • Reply 180 of 206
    Quote:

Key point here, you do not have the option to EXTEND your contract 2 years and get the price break. AT&T only cancels your current contract and writes you a new one. ?

But this makes sense. If you did this more than once, you would be extending your contract by two years for every annual upgrade. What makes you think that you aren't going to be wanting the next upgrade too?

Also, I think it's silly to think of buying a 3G iPhone as being an early adopter. If you bought the original iPhone, then OK, maybe that's being an early adopter, you got it before it was really clear how this iPhone thing was going to go. It was priced far higher than a typical subsidized device, only offered EDGE data, didn't offer a way to install native apps, and web apps, frankly, aren't always a substitute for native apps. By the time 3G rolled out, most of this was shaken out.