Apple warns iPhone 3G S activations may take up to 2 days

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    So much to do about nothing...

I ordered my iPhone 3GS 32GB on June 16 through the Apple Online Store.

It arrived this morning, Friday, June 19 at 10:26am via Fed Ex "Express Truck" service which was standard for this purchase.

I installed the Power Support Crystal Film face protector.

I installed the Griffin "Elan" cover.

(I highly recommend both products if you are any kind of "road warrior".)

I popped the SIM out of my 3G and replaced it in the new 3GS.

I connected to iTunes and the iPhone was instantly Activated.

I disconnected from iTunes, then reconnected to sync with my 3G's latest backup and hit "Restore".

My iPhone 3GS is now fully synced and in business.

Plus my 3G is on it's way to Next Solutions to be sold.

Actual time from start to finish? Less than 45 minutes, and I have a LOT of Apps and music.

The experience was fast, beautiful, and efficient. Just like my new 3GS.
  • Reply 82 of 130
    packy17packy17 Posts: 8member
    Mine activated in under 2 minutes, and so did the two other phones in my house, and I activated mine about 30 minutes ago...
  • Reply 83 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mykeyhope View Post

I didn't have to swap out my old SIM card or anything like that. Was easy peasy.

Actually, both Apple and AT&T recommend swapping out the SIM card if you are moving from one phone to another. I did and the Activation and sync were both flawless.
  • Reply 84 of 130
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I ordered my iPhone 3GS 32GB on June 16 through the Apple Online Store.

It arrived this morning, Friday, June 19 at 10:26am via Fed Ex "Express Truck" service which was standard for this purchase.

I installed the Power Support Crystal Film face protector.

I installed the Griffin "Elan" cover.

(I highly recommend both products if you are any kind of "road warrior".)

I popped the SIM out of my 3G and replaced it in the new 3GS.

I connected to iTunes and the iPhone was instantly Activated.

I disconnected from iTunes, then reconnected to sync with my 3G's latest backup and hit "Restore".

My iPhone 3GS is now fully synced and in business.

Plus my 3G is on it's way to Next Solutions to be sold.

Actual time from start to finish? Less than 45 minutes, and I have a LOT of Apps and music.

The experience was fast, beautiful, and efficient. Just like my new 3GS.

Moaning is a way of life around here. Don't be surprised.

Misery loves company.
  • Reply 85 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I cant even get throught the first part of the activation. I connect the phone to i tunes put in the zip and social and it stops on please wait while we process your request.

Is this your first iPhone, or are you upgrading from one to another? If you are upgrading, try swapping out your older phones SIM card. It's what they recommend and may solve your issue.
  • Reply 86 of 130
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Personally, I always wait patiently for products to settle before buying, but I think these issues reflect negatively on Apple's ability to execute which is very important for enterprise.

I want Apple to do these things with the apparent ease that they bring to their hardware/software.
  • Reply 87 of 130
    I just sat for about an hour waiting for the activation....turn your phone off and back on again if you're waiting....it worked fine for two phones.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    MobileMe doesn't scale.

My activation only took a few minutes at AT&T store at ~8am.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Nobody said the pre was going to 'take' huge chunks of iphone users... Second the phone is selling really well… 100,000 phones sold every 3 days are not bad sales numbers especially considering the fact that its on sprint... Arguably the least liked carrier in the states. Regardless of how well the pre sells the iphone will continue to sell well because it is a great phone...

1) McNamee stated, "“You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two- year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone, Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later.”

Then he goes to say, "Think about it—If you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market,” said McNamee, 52. “Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they’re going to buy.”

You’re right, he didn’t specifically say the Pre in those sentence, but Palm’s lawyers certainly felt like a legal retraction was in order.
    2) I heard that they sold 50k in the first weekend, which is how many they had total, but i was not aware that Sprint was selling 100k every 3 days. That is 233k a week, or 858k from launch day until the end of June. That number seems a bit high to me.

3) There are plenty of great aspects to the Pre. I think that the iPhone notification overlay, while nice when it was first displayed was not well though out for future-forward use. WebOS does a much better job. With app using a PN (Push Notification) server the limitations will be even more readily known. I also like how Palm jumped in with features that the iPhone wasn’t tackling, instead of trying to simply clone the iPhone, though they shouldn’t have launched so close to the iPhone and with so many performance issues.

Case in point, check out AnandTech’s app launching. Even against the iPhone 3G using the old ARMv6 architecture with a 412MHz CPU with 128MB RAM and the very heavy OS X in comparison to WebOS, the old 3G still trumps it in app launching. That 3GS just blows them all away. The Pre might have the same CPU and a slightly better GPU, but if you aren’t utilizing it you are just selling your customers an expensive spec sheet list.

Check out Anand’s review, it’s quite balanced...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Is that play on words I’m not getting?
  • Reply 90 of 130
    Does anyone know if simply popping in the SIM from my old 3G will hinder any features, or would it be safe to just do that? Admittedly, I don't really understand exactly how SIM cards work...
  • Reply 91 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bemaniac View Post

Does anyone know if simply popping in the SIM from my old 3G will hinder any features, or would it be safe to just do that? Admittedly, I don't really understand exactly how SIM cards work...

No, it won?t.

PS: They really need to reduce the size of SIM cards. They seem so damn big for the size of the phone. When I look at the breakdown I wonder what could fit in that spot if the SIM was only half the size it is.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do people wait in lines anyway- for anything? \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I waited once in line for the release of Jaguar way back when. Now that was fun- it was for an OS.

If I'm not mistaken I think NYC had one of the few Applestores then .

peace

• Reply 93 of 130
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Moaning is a way of life around here. Don't be surprised.

Misery loves company.

I ever knew what that meant, till now .

Good one dude

peace

• Reply 94 of 130
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    If you have a phone with a SIM card that's already activated, just use that one until the other is ready.

Took about a minute to set up on my iMac and then another ten or minutes before AT&T switch my account to the new SIM card. In the meantime, I just popped my old SIM into my new iPhone... when that deactivated I knew the new one was ready... it was. Worked like a charm.
  • Reply 95 of 130
    Unfortunately its my first iphone so i dont have another iphone sim to swap out.
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bemaniac View Post

SIM cards are basically network identifiers... your account is tied to that id. wherever that SIM card is installed is where your "signal" will be picked up.

I can take my SIM card out of my iPhone and stick it into a regular cell phone and receive calls and texts on that phone.

Get it?
  • Reply 97 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Unfortunately its my first iphone so i dont have another iphone sim to swap out.

iPhone SIM!? SIMs aren't specific to phone brands or types... any SIM will work fine.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    iru69iru69 Posts: 9member
    I bought my 3GS at an AT&T store this morning and was told that it would probably take about 15 minutes for the activation to take affect. 3 hours later, still not activated. Came to this forum looking for answers and saw the suggestion to turn off the phone and turn it back on again. Bingo! Works! Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 99 of 130
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I ever knew what that meant, till now .

Good one dude

peace

Dude-Put down the pipe already!!
  • Reply 100 of 130
    For those of you having this problem put your old chip in the new phone, I got the 48 hour message and did that now my phone is up and running Hope it helps! I am guessing when the new chip activates just swap it back should be fine