RIM once again ships 7.8m BlackBerries as new iPhone looms

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Agreed. Apple always was shy about promoting itself. Too cool for its own good. This apple 3gs seems like a great phone. And AT&T continues to build its towers and repeaters and such .So the coverage should improve. I am from nyc so i will wait for verizon.

Looking forward to hear from you that it rocks.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Not sure if it applies here, but we often (in a business I'm in), will say we "Sent", "Shipped", "Produced", ? but rarely do we say "How many we sold"

I'm sure Apple is doing the same thing, but the bottom line is, "How many people PAID for something"!

Hell I can ship 1 million a week of something, and not make a penny. Hell do that 8 weeks in a row, and I LOOK great ? I shipped 8 million of something, and haven't made a penny. Now on the other hand, if I'm SELLING 1 million of something a week, and 8 million after 8 weeks, NOW we're talking (and I'm smiling all the way to the bank).

And hey, let's say for the sake of an argument , that each one they "Shipped" - went to a dealership, store or whatever, what I want to know, is how of these that they "Shipped" have been in fact sold to / purchased by a consumer?

It's like I tell me current clients, who will purchase stuff from us, and then put it in the closet - because it cost to much to just give away - It isn't doing ANYONE any good in the closet. So boxes of Blackberries sold to dealerships, stores, which still have them in boxes, in closets, back rooms waiting to be purchase ? oh well.

Skip
  • Reply 63 of 77
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Apple tries to give data for the products SOLD, not shipped. With iPhones and iPods this is not exactly the case because of the complicated international distribution network, but pretty close I guess.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Actually, 3G[S] promises much better radio, than its predecessor has, more sensitive, dropping less calls.

Jailbreakers are saying it has the exact same X-Gold 608 as the iPhone 3G, just with 7.2 enabled. (It was disabled in the iPhone 3G)

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=N88AP

It makes sense since the 618, the successor to the 608 has HSUPA as well.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Jailbreakers are saying it has the exact same X-Gold 608 as the iPhone 3G, just with 7.2 enabled. (It was disabled in the iPhone 3G)

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=N88AP

It makes sense since the 618, the successor to the 608 has HSUPA as well.

Infineon chipset for iPhone contains at least 4 functionally different chips (I don't mean there are 3 amplifiers on board, I mean functionality). 3G[S] Pictures show at least one of them is different from that of 3G.

FCC tests seem to have indeed shown better radio capabilities, this is why I say there're chances radio is better

Only practice, I believe, will tell.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It never ends. The same tired old thinking just never dies. Rim does not have to lose for Apple to win. Both can succeed fantastically.

Well said.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It never ends. The same tired old thinking just never dies. Rim does not have to lose for Apple to win. Both can succeed fantastically.

I agree! RIM make good products. Apple make good products. The Pre looks decent although it remains to be seen how well it really does and whether Apple sues their pants off.

Competition is a good thing. The market share is big enough for more than one company to be successful. It sucks to be Motorola, Nokia etc. They are going to be the real losers.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

I agree! RIM make good products. Apple make good products. The Pre looks decent although it remains to be seen how well it really does and whether Apple sues their pants off.

Competition is a good thing. The market share is big enough for more than one company to be successful. It sucks to be Motorola, Nokia etc. They are going to be the real losers.

Do you mean Nokia as in the US market where it does not really try to compete or the world market where it is #1? They are doing very well in India.

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...sted_brand.htm
  • Reply 69 of 77
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Do you mean Nokia as in the US market where it does not really try to compete or the world market where it is #1? They are doing very well in India.

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...sted_brand.htm

India didn't get the memo.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

India didn't get the memo.

Was this an attempt at humor? Sorry I didn't get the joke.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    My friend and his wife just got blackberries. Buy one get one free deal. I played with it, and the whole thing is very easy to use. I picked it up and could do what I wanted with it instantly without needing to really learn anything.

They are good devices and just proves that not all successful new phones need to emulate the iphone (although that's what they tried, and failed, to do with their storm)
  • Reply 72 of 77
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Sigh......

I remember when this was an apple computer site.

Those were the days......

Agreed, kind of. It's not that there is so many iPhone, iPod discussions, I enjoy these too (re: they are after all computers).

It just seems there isn't as much discussion on new computers, new processor design and underlying technology. When Apple was only PPC the discussions were lively, informative, contentious and I learned much about the differences in processor design and instruction set architecture.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

A physical keyboard on the other hand would be an absolute calamity. I can see no advantage to my Blackberry using friends from their chiclet keys. I can type just as easily and quickly, if not even faster. But I have the huge advantages of switching between portrait and landscape, easy access to all special characters and foreign alphabets, and a smaller & lighter phone with a bigger screen.

I predict that within 2-3 years, a physical keyboard will be considered a liability on a phone. Instead of reviewers saying that the lack of a physical keyboard is a negative, as many do now, they will write things like, "Unfortunately, the XYZ phone is limited by it's physical keyboard. While this may have a certain nostalgic appeal for some..."
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Verizon HAS to be pursuing the iPhone in a big way or they risk being left behind pretty soon as the legions of blackberry users (and I am also one of them - also a 3G/soon to be 3GS) get tired of the same old interface and software UI. Improvements come in baby steps and the Apps are about 3 years behind what Apple offers, and for 10 times as much.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

But SE, Nokia, and a few others that had dreamed of it long before Apple did. The guy is correct. These features are nothing new except to the iPhone. Other phones have had these capabilities for years.

This is really a very silly (and weak) argument. (If it can even be called an argument.) Did those other phones have all the other features of the iPhone (or the Pre, for that matter)? Obviously not. What exactly is the point? That Apple should not implement features that have already appeared on other phones? That the iPhone sucks because it wasn't the first to have a camera or compass? That every possible feature that has ever appeared on any phone or other device, and then some, must be included in the iPhone for it to be better than those phones? (This reminds me of reviews that say things like, "The iPhone 3G-S camera, while adequate, is still inferior to a Nikon D90.")

The concept of something being more than the sum of its parts applies to smartphones as much or more than it does anywhere. It's the whole package that counts, and Apple has created something in the iPhone that goes well beyond the sum of its parts. Although Apple's marketing is superb, the popularity of the iPhone is not due to exceptional marketing alone. To not acknowledge that, regardless of your personal feelings about Apple or the iPhone, is simply ridiculous.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    double post of unkown cause removed, since I can't find a delete function
  • Reply 77 of 77
    iphoniaciphoniac Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

do they track how many are to replace lost and or damaged units? i know someone who just got a new black berry because he lost his. Of course there will be a certain number of lost or damaged iPhones as well.

Has there been any research into any of the data they have collected on the Blackberry sales? Like lilgto said, but also how many are going to upgrades? What if all of those people are return costumers? We could play that "what if?" game all day, but until we know the people behind the purchases, we don't know jack-diddly.